Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

regulargonzalez posted:

This is kind of my thought. Even if melee is super strong dps-wise, there's still not really a reason to play it over spell casting or bows, either of which put out all the dps you need.

Require more dps and survivability, like with the boss fights they've been putting out lately. Yeah you can do them on your zoom zoom build, but doing them as a tanky fucker is a lot easier. I'm hoping they can implement some kind of mechanic that's easier for melee characters to mitigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
GGG can't fix bad posting

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

please knock Mom! posted:

We've seen more bossfights in arenas with limited room for maneuvering as well. I don't think GGG needs to buff one playstyle at the cost of another, I think they can do better and make zoomzoom pewpew viable together with tanky melee builds.

Zoomzoom pewpew will be the preferred way play PoE as long the most rewarding play style is fast clearing maps endlessly, often while ignoring the boss because of poor loot compared to the risks.
Speed means more pulls of the lever, speed means better easier league mechanics completion, speed is everything and having to be in melee range is not good for speed.

nightwisher posted:

I'm not sure what streamers have to do with this??? Baeclast was a stream, yes, that was released as a video directly afterwards, linked on the subreddit. Every teaser or info dump posted so far has been a tweet or forum post from Bex. You haven't had to watch literally any streamer to get all the information they've released so far. They just need to compile it better, yes. Chris, Johnathan and Rory sometimes do interviews with some streamers to throw the community a bone, but nothing they've discussed so far hasn't been put into a youtube video you can easily watch.
A video is still not as digestible as an infodump.

Red Red Blue posted:

The announcements forum on the official site has a thread that compiles all the teasers
That should be promoted more.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

qnqnx posted:

This is called the patch notes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Require more dps and survivability, like with the boss fights they've been putting out lately. Yeah you can do them on your zoom zoom build, but doing them as a tanky fucker is a lot easier. I'm hoping they can implement some kind of mechanic that's easier for melee characters to mitigate.

I switched from a 78% resistance 90% phys damage reduction jugg to a bane occultist and boss fights harder than red maps were easier.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

qnqnx posted:

Yeah, true, it is a 1hr 20min video that's pretty information dense, but I think transcribing it with the depth of detail that Johnathan went into would have led to a 15,000 word essay. I'm sure a boiled-down version of it will be outlined in the balance manifesto to be released on Tuesday.

Just FYI my beef with some of the more vocal complainers is not that they're not informed, it's that they're ARE informed but are using reductionist reasoning and hyperbole on the information that's being given, and when you call them out on it, they dig their heels in and let loose a cavalcade of pure opinion treated as fact. And generally a lot of insults too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The chieftain changes followed this advice, funny how gladiator didn't.

It did kind of with those new points that rear end attack speed and movement speed. They are like glad exclusive charges.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is a one page a summary of the video in the top linked article on Reddit

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

to "see" this in action. It's something you need to play and feel. No video/text write-up can fully explain how good it feels
Animation Canceling applies to BOTH Melee and Spells
Double Strike (and Multistrike) will allow you to cancel animation just after one swing (say if that first or second swing kills the enemy). Looks like it borrows a thing or two from D3/Grim Dawn's combat, which is great news.
If you use one skill and then instantly (and I mean instantly) use another skill, the first one won't even happen because it's been canceled. The example shown was Default Attack followed by Double Strike. There also seems to be action queueing. If you use one skill and wait until the very last moment to use another skill, it'll be queued up as soon as the first one is done
Except for obviously being stunned, you can cancel any animation with a movement skill. At level 4, every Class now gets a defensive movement skill. Not meant for traveling.
All movement skills are now instant when getting in and out of combat, but repeated usage (ie. holding down Leap Slam) will not be instantaneous. You still go through with the animation timings from repeated usage of consecutive Leaps
Name Re-locking is now a thing. If you've name-locked a monster and it dies while you're still holding down the button, simply moving the cursor over the next monster will re-lock onto it, and over and over until the entire pack is dead. This also works when you're simply running and targeting the ground, and then decide to mouseover the monster. With that being said, if you intentionally want to target the ground (ie. Earthquake), you can still do so.
If you target your skill near a monster and then immediately mouseover the monster, the game will auto-target that monster for you by name-locking to it. So if you "miss" your click, you'll still be able to recover and hit it
Players will essentially be given a "free move" in between attacks that doesn't sacrifice your actions per minute due to animation canceling.
Previously, every single Melee skill would have their attack time equal to the weapon's attack speed. Additionally, all of the Melee skills' animations would be rendered to all have matching times, when in reality, all of these animations have truly different times (ie. Ground Slam may be slightly "slower" than Double Strike). To fix this, every single Melee skill will now have a hidden modifier called "Attack Time Modifier" which they will balance accordingly. They realized they can make certain attacks more powerful just by slowing them down and increasing damage, to match their animation speed. They have generally done this for all of the "Slam" and "Heavy Strike"-esque types of skills to give it more oomph. If you're killing a pack in one hit, you won't notice the slowdown with these skills.
All Melee skills will have a small amount of Added Damage (ie. Adds 2-14 Physical Damage) as the gem levels up. Takes a little bit off the load of how good your Melee weapon needs to be. This way, they can fine-tune Damage Effectiveness to compensate for it
Previously, every single-target Melee skill only hit one target. Now, every Melee attack can hit multiple enemies - whatever it looks like your animation swing should hit, will hit. It's technically not giving AoE to single-target attacks, but rather, having to do with your Weapon Range can allow you to hit multiple enemies if they're standing very close to each other
Every single Skill in the game now renders it's AoE distances correctly.
Base Cyclone AoE is still normal. The one you saw in the trailer had very high Weapon Range. As part of Cyclone's rework becoming a Channeled skill, it will stop as soon as you let go of the button. Having the cursor on yourself means you spin in place forever, and moving the cursor slightly away from you means you Cyclone at a slower speed... and moving the cursor very far away means you'll move at the maximum speed you can. There will be 3-4 gradiations.
Ancestral Call will work as normal and be updated to these changes
They're still in highly discussing this internally, but a question raised if for example a skill like Molten Strike - if the simple animation of swinging hits multiple enemies, should balls spawn per each enemy hit? Currently they're saying no, but it may or may not change once Legion releases. They will tune each skill on a per-Skill basis to answer this question.
Steelskin is a new defensive skill that will allow you to mitigate 70% of damage, capped at a specific value of total mtiigation for a given hit. This value increases as you level up the gem
Molten Shell now mitigates 70% of damage while the Shell is up, up to a cap which is determined by the amount of Armor you have. The damage Molten Shell deals as it breaks it also scaled with how much Armor you have
Fortify has been buffed, but he forgets the specifics. There are nodes on the Passive Tree that buff Fortify, so you can invest in it if you so choose
There is now Animation Queueing. Say you get stunned and press Leap slam to get out of combat as a panic button, your Leap Slam will be queued as soon as it wears off
You will be unable to rotate between 3 of the new movement skills to travel at crazy speeds due to some of the movement skills having a global shared cooldown
TL;DR, they switched from Manhattan Distance to Euclidean Distance to help fix movement skills getting stuck on a pebble. It was not an issue with collision, but rather, different systems disagreeing with if the player was truly able to make that move
You are now able to contextually dodge monster/boss attacks so long as it makes sense animation-wise. If Hillock makes a right-swing... you can now dodge the attack by moving to the left... whereas if you were to move to the right, you'd still get hit by the attack
While using console commands to respawn instances of Twilight Strand to showcase new things, Jonathan accidentally spawns an instance with Uber Hillock / Oni Goroshi. Dat RNG doe...
Some monsters, like Hillock, have slower wind-ups to some of their attacks, while unleashing the blow is at normal speed. This is to help anticipation for defensive skills/mechanics/dodging. This occurs at other parts of the game too, with the idea of increasing monster damage but allowing for more windows of opportunity to dodge them. As another example, Fire Fury's firestorm AoE is now smaller, but deals more damage. The majority of focus for this is just early game (Acts 1-3) because over time, early game has become too easy
Accuracy is now capped at 100%. They've tweaked the Accuracy equation and increased the sources of Accuracy to the point where getting 100% Accuracy is not a problem for most players. Just need a few sources of it
Players will still block 100% damage, but some monsters will now have % Chance To Block, and when blocked, they will take reduced damage from the hit. Not 100% sure with Spell block
There is now a sound effect when you miss a hit
Base stun duration from Melee hits is now longer whereas the base stun duration from Spell hits is shorter. You also need less damage from Melee attacks to stun a target compared to damage from Spells. Also, Elemental Damage has less weight contributing to a stun whereas Physical Damage (including Physical Spells) has more weight contributing to a stun.
As part of the Melee revamp, they found tons of bugs to squash, making everything feel better overall.
All of the single-target Melee skills have been significantly buffed in terms of damage
Elemental Damage on Abyssal Jewels will be lowered while Elemental Damage on Weapons will be raised
There will be a bunch of new Support Gems, and there are ones that are specific to each of the weapon types. One for claws, one for daggers, one for axes, etc. Also, one Support Gem to reward slower and larger hits.
Glacial Hammer has been redesigned to be a 3-hitting skill. Two small hits and then a gigantic third hit, which gives bonuses to its Freeze stats
Leap Slam will now always stun bosses that are on Full-Life.
Shield Charge's damage is now calculated similarly to how Shield Spectral Throw is calculated. Shield Spectral Throw's damage has been buffed as well
Daggers are getting a new line of Caster-Dagger variant bases that do not roll attack mods
Staves are getting a new line of Attack-Staff variant bases that do not roll caster mods
The goal of the Armour buffs was to make it work against Boss fights
All of the counterattack Melee skills (ie. Riposte) where on the list to get buffed, but he forgets how specifically they are getting buffed
If you hold Shift while pressing Quick Dodge, your character will backstep opposite direction of the cursor. So if you're using slam-based skills (like Ground Slam), you can slam -> backstep -> slam in that direction again as a sort of tactical retreat mobility move. Quick Dodge can also go up and down ledges and Spellcasters can also use it. There is also an unannounced new movement skill for Casters
Many of the Acts 1-3 monsters are getting new abilities / buffed abilities
Jonathan's favorite skill in this patch is Cyclone
There are buffs to Bleed and Poison but he forgets what they are

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
That's the good poo poo, yeahhhhh

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Red Red Blue posted:

The announcements forum on the official site has a thread that compiles all the teasers

Also http://gggtracker.com tracks all the stuff posted to Reddit by the devs

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Gee, wonder which class this is targeting:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1134632778312499200

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

We've seen more bossfights in arenas with limited room for maneuvering as well. I don't think GGG needs to buff one playstyle at the cost of another, I think they can do better and make zoomzoom pewpew viable together with tanky melee builds.

Yeah they should rework all the old lovely bosses to have good mechanics. I dont think any boss past act 4 really sucks other than kitava, but Ive been scarred by ice crash fizzling at the edge and I will never respect that fight again. gently caress you kitava

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Kitava does nothing the entire time, as long as you have enough dmg its only really boring. My first char was a rf chieftain that did no damage and that fight took like 30 deaths.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I just want more fights that are really well designed like Innocence. That fight is tough as balls regardless of your build. If you were ranged you had to worry about the statues loving up your day (melee worried less because Innocence moves all over the arena so you were walking away anyways) and not being able to dodge the beam. If you were melee you had to worry about auto attacks and The Touhou Move. Make everything like that then make bosses worth more

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Innocence and kitava did get updated but you can hardly tell what changed in the video.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Control Volume posted:

Yeah they should rework all the old lovely bosses to have good mechanics. I dont think any boss past act 4 really sucks other than kitava, but Ive been scarred by ice crash fizzling at the edge and I will never respect that fight again. gently caress you kitava

Unearth also just fizzles against kitava and doesn't spawn any corpses since he's basically floating over an impassible pit. So my volatile dead guy had to manually spam desecrate the whole fight instead of just using the dang unearth totems i had in my build specifically for bosses

Rhyslatha, spider-godess of boning (and the map boss that copies her mechanics) has the same problem.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 1, 2019

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Control Volume posted:

I just want more fights that are really well designed like Innocence. That fight is tough as balls regardless of your build. If you were ranged you had to worry about the statues loving up your day (melee worried less because Innocence moves all over the arena so you were walking away anyways) and not being able to dodge the beam. If you were melee you had to worry about auto attacks and The Touhou Move. Make everything like that then make bosses worth more

You have no idea how hype I am for the Hillock rework.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Gladiator changes look good if you want movement speed with your max block. :effort:

It looks like the melee changes are contained mostly in the mechanics and skill gems. Unless trickster gets a much needed nerf it looks like I'm gonna go hybrid trickster cyclone with QotF.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Gladiator changes gonna be good for facebreaker me thinks

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

euphronius posted:

Daggers are getting a new line of Caster-Dagger variant bases that do not roll attack mods
Staves are getting a new line of Attack-Staff variant bases that do not roll caster mods

Whoa, new base items! That's huge.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Someone that's more knowledgeable than I am, If I wanted to try out malthils The Boys, how do these gladiator changes affect that build?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Zotix posted:

Someone that's more knowledgeable than I am, If I wanted to try out malthils The Boys, how do these gladiator changes affect that build?

I think Bloodseeker got functionally nerfed in Synthesis league because of the leech changes so it's probably worth considering if you want claws or something else, iirc the last iteration of Mathil's Boys was in Betrayal. Auras are also probably different (blood/sand) and it might be worth grabbing the new node depending on what the actual details on the aura are, but without having the skill gem info and/or the patch notes it's hard to say exactly right now. Gladiator is largely unchanged except with the new node so really, not much has actually shifted there.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

McFrugal posted:

where’s my attack wand

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

McFrugal posted:

Not new base items, some existing bases got changed. They showed an old unique that's now a "Judgment Warstaff" (an attack only staff) instead of a "Judgment Staff"

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
New chieftain looks pretty much made for TecSlam, looks strong and good, and I've never played it before so I'm sorted I guess.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

For anyone thinking (as I was) about doing a big boi clearspeed glad (maybe as a wander or bow glad) it turns out that if you oneshot a mob, even if you have 100% chance to bleed, the mob will not do a bleed explosion on death. This differs from e.g. inpulsas explosions. As far as I can tell the reason for this is that you can apply a shock to a corpse but you cannot apply a bleed to a corpse. Not a massive deal but it does mean that if you want to take full advantage of the bleed explosions you really have to make sure you aren't oneshotting mobs which is pretty counter-intuitive (unless you do some shenanigans with southbound gloves).

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBp6yeVSiDU

Chris Wilson with the weird cam angle

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Carrier posted:

For anyone thinking (as I was) about doing a big boi clearspeed glad (maybe as a wander or bow glad) it turns out that if you oneshot a mob, even if you have 100% chance to bleed, the mob will not do a bleed explosion on death. This differs from e.g. inpulsas explosions. As far as I can tell the reason for this is that you can apply a shock to a corpse but you cannot apply a bleed to a corpse. Not a massive deal but it does mean that if you want to take full advantage of the bleed explosions you really have to make sure you aren't oneshotting mobs which is pretty counter-intuitive (unless you do some shenanigans with southbound gloves).

How does this differ from melee applications? I can’t imagine builds like The Boys don’t oneshot whites. If the bleed explosion doesn’t occur on oneshots, how are The Boys and other melee builds using it?

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Ruggan posted:

How does this differ from melee applications? I can’t imagine builds like The Boys don’t oneshot whites. If the bleed explosion doesn’t occur on oneshots, how are The Boys and other melee builds using it?

Its the same for melee. Its been a while since I've played a bleed gladiator but my suspicion is that some of the pack wasn't getting oneshot, or the builds weren't really oneshotting but hitting so fast that it looked like a oneshot.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

highlights from baeclast for me so far:
1. two-hander based damage bonus went from 40% to 60%
2. rares life bonus has been doubled
3. chris wilson is most excited about blood/sand stance switching gladiator
:getin:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Ruggan posted:

Carrier posted:

Its the same for melee. Its been a while since I've played a bleed gladiator but my suspicion is that some of the pack wasn't getting oneshot, or the builds weren't really oneshotting but hitting so fast that it looked like a oneshot.

Well, it is Dual Strike - might be almost one-shotting with the first hit and the follow-up is the one to actually murderize them? That is disappointing though.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
It's incredibly easy to one-shot packs in this game. I bet most of the supposed clear speed improvement is imagined because people like to see monsters pop.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Carrier posted:

I’m not sure I believe you - rewatch the video for The Boys build - do you really think he isn’t one shotting any? Every pop appears to pop.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Mathil's melee builds also tend to crank attack speed up to 11, so while things might be melting it's not always from a single hit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Someone with a glad go smack something in act 1 and report back

Carrier
May 12, 2009

https://www.twitch.tv/waggle/clip/EnticingWiseTardigradeKappaPride

This is with RoA but Fightgarr was in the chat saying it is also true for sunder (and he always pushes on melee builds so I believe him).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Since I haven't really played since Act 4 was the latest and greatest, I decided to start a Solo Self-Found Synthesis Event character to get to level 50ish and see what's changed. Made a witch since I wanted to try out Storm Brand. I've only got it in a 3 link with added lightning damage and elemental proliferation, but I'm up to level 46 and it murderizes packs in early Act 5. I also have Storm Burst linked with Concentrated Effect for burning down stuff that Storm Brand tickles. For auras, I'm using Clarity, Purity of Elements and Herald of Thunder, which leaves me with about 130 mana and is generally sufficient to the point where I dropped my mana flask a few levels ago and am using 3 life and 2 quicksilver. I am also using Lightning Warp (no links), Conductivity (only if something doesn't die within ~3 seconds), and Lightning Golem.

Here's my passive tree. I went north for the lightning area while grabbing life, then right to more lightning and brand buffs and grabbing more life. I have not looked up any Storm Brand builds and probably won't. Doing my own thing is rather fun, and the search bar helps a lot.

By the way, did drops get buffed? As I said, I'm only level 46, solo self-found, but I've found 10 chaos and 7 uniques. 2 of the uniques dropped within 5 minutes in the same zone back in Act 2...

Also, I heard that Synthesis is getting dropped and won't be coming to the next league? Does that mean I won't have to do any of those memory areas again?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Carrier posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/waggle/clip/EnticingWiseTardigradeKappaPride

This is with RoA but Fightgarr was in the chat saying it is also true for sunder (and he always pushes on melee builds so I believe him).

drat that's dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Carrier posted:

I've played all kinds of gladiator and haemo bleed explosion builds and this hasn't ever been an issue that's noticeable, even doing rain of arrows with a double damage crimson storm. There was never a single white pack that didn't have a blood explosion. Maybe I didn't notice it sometimes, but either way the screen is dying from blood explosions or from your skills. It's the same outcome.