Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Does anybody have the picture of the Cookie Mobster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Whats the goon supergroup on indomitable Redside?

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Washout posted:

Whats the goon supergroup on indomitable Redside?

There arn't any goon supergroups AFAIK, just the channel.
code:
/chanjoin GoonSquad

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
There are many goon supergroups. However none of them are anything more than just more words over your head.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
And today I discovered that just making your own level 25 invention enhancements is super cheap, about 20k apice, why is everyone trying to sell them on the market for 75k each, wtf.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just started discovering that myself. I'm so incredibly happy that getting going with a set of 25s is easy as pie and relatively cheap. I remember it being hell on earth on live because of how wonky salvage supply/demand could get and of course you had to keep shuffling back and forth between Wentworth's and the university unless you had a perfectly planned shopping list. No joke, if I ever sound cranky about IOs that's a non-zero portion of why.

Nonexistence posted:

On the note of staff chat I really wish there were alternate animations where you're just like... hitting dudes with a staff and not doing whacky waving inflatable kung fu man stuff. Just like a pole arm equivalent of how other melee weapon sets animate.

I like most of the animations well enough, it's really just the PBAoE where you go full breakdance that ruins it for me. Looks super bad if you're using any kind of complicated costume. I think if you use it while hovering you get a slightly nicer looking alternate animation.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 1, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Washout posted:

And today I discovered that just making your own level 25 invention enhancements is super cheap, about 20k apice, why is everyone trying to sell them on the market for 75k each, wtf.

It costs more than that. There is the cost for the recipe, the cost for materials, and cost for actually making it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
For low level and sometimes even high level standard IO recipes, you can easily get many of them for 1,000 or less. If you dont actually have the salvage, and you really should, it may only cost 1,000-7,000 for each item, plus the cost of the creation at the bench.
Which in the long run is way cheaper than buying DOs or SOs over multiple levels.
Plus you can just respec later and put them into storage for an alt.

Bases are free now, just make one with loads of salvage storage and lots of enhancement tables to store created IOs.
Invite your alts with /altinvite name

When ever I go to log an alt, I just stop into my base and dump any storage or create any enhancements that I think I might use on an alt instead of just dumping all those plain recipes at a vendor.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Just started playing again last week after about 10 years of being away and there are so many QoL improvements from where it was. I love not having to summon all my MM pets again after leaving a mission.

Just got back from a full 8 person Frostfire mission that we totally wrecked, those Outcasts didn't know what hit them (besides all the stuff we threw at them.) It's great to be playing again.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ded posted:

It costs more than that. There is the cost for the recipe, the cost for materials, and cost for actually making it.

Even with those costs factored in 75k is nuts.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

if you take the time to memorize them (~1-2m per category) then workbench 30s are typically 15k for materials and 15k to manufacture, and the important ones like damage and end mod can frequently sell for 100k. it's a pretty profitable racket if you don't get beached by the market.

you save a fuckton of money on recipes if you keep all your workbench IO crafting on one guy, though. memorization rewards you for only caring about 25 and 30 workbench IOs, which is the area where they start being as strong as SOs, and thus optimal to take

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I'm making a text document to keep track of all the commands I need to set up on new characters, and I think I'm just missing one now. I don't know poo poo about macros in this game, but someone in the last thread posted one where you could hit G on your keyboard to start typing in the goonsquad channel. Could someone write that out again for me? I'll save it this time.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Somethings afoot

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3453.0.html

quote:

This patch contains a revamp for the Snipe powers, in Ranged, Assault and Epic versions. The main feature is that Snipe powers will now always be slow if you're out-of-combat (defined by not having attacked or been attacked in the last 15 seconds), and they will always be fast when in combat (defined as having attacked or having been attacked in the last 15 seconds). You no longer need to build up ToHit in order to benefit from Fast Snipe, it's just how the power operates now.

On an unrelated note, a Necro/Rad MM I made:

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Not a fan of the fast snipe change, but I already have the +acc from Kismet and a slotted Tactics, so it doesn't really help me at all.
Losing the additional snipe range in combat is a bummer and I thought it was a neat thing to slot for.

Oh well, I guess it's nice for other characters and gives people more flexibility.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Yeah, lego.

It looks like we've reached the tyrannical despot phase of balance changes. Guess I'll be deleting those characters sooner rather than later.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, lego.

It looks like we've reached the tyrannical despot phase of balance changes. Guess I'll be deleting those characters sooner rather than later.

Alternately, being able to use fast snipe in combat on any powerset without having to min/max for it seems pretty cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This change makes sense to me, but I'm also not someone who really played on live servers so I'm not too worried about preserving that experience.

I like that Homecoming is going to be continually developed, but I'm sure there are players who just wanted the old CoX back and would rather not have it continue to change over time as if it was a live game again.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Uh, long and short of what he showed me was:

* Do not pick any of Nimble Slash, Placate, Vengeful Slice, or 1K Cuts
* Assassin's Mark goes into Power Slice
* Stalker's Guile goes into assassinate move.
* 6-slot build-up with five from the uncommon set, and the Gaussian proc for double build-up.
* Take Moonbeam to use with Build Up. Slotted thus, you should always have instant snipes.
* Do the other usual melee defense/resistance slotting stuff.
* +5 all purples and non-set IOs, catalyze non-purple sets.

Yeah this is pretty much what I would imagine a stalker version of DB playing out as. Here is what I would think the non-moonbeam chain would be:

~*Stalker*~

Dual Blades (Power Slice-Abalating Strike-rear end Strike-Sweeping Strike)

Moonbeam in, I assume(?) power slice's spot when it's up. That rotation is taking advantage of the ATO1 proc in rear end Strike and the rear end Focus x3 buff. You can get perma-moonbeam with DB/BIO, or I assume with the snipe changes on homecoming. Funny, when I started doing this they wanted to nerf insta-snipe.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The Snipe change is one I mostly like, but it has an incredibly minor nerf to Beam Rifle in it.

One of the major things of Beam Rifle is "inflict Disintegrate on a target, and your other attacks hurt that target more, you can spread Disintegration via various attacks." The snipe used to have a 100% chance to spread it if it you slowcast it, 55% if you fastcast it. I don't think it's going to be possible to get a guaranteed spread now unless there's two of you: one to inflict it, and another hanging back and slowcasting the Snipe out of combat for the guaranteed spread.

The other attacks still have a chance to spread, of course, and it's just one attack, but still.

EDIT: Oh, I actually read the full patch notes for myself, and:

Patch Notes posted:

All versions of Beam Rifle's Penetrating Ray now has a 55% chance of spreading disintegration.
All versions of Beam Rifle's Lancer Shot now has a 100% chance of spreading disintegration.

So there you go then, the guaranteed spread is on a better power.

MechaCrash fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 1, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

MechaCrash posted:

The Snipe change is one I mostly like, but it has an incredibly minor nerf to Beam Rifle in it.

One of the major things of Beam Rifle is "inflict Disintegrate on a target, and your other attacks hurt that target more, you can spread Disintegration via various attacks." The snipe used to have a 100% chance to spread it if it you slowcast it, 55% if you fastcast it. I don't think it's going to be possible to get a guaranteed spread now unless there's two of you: one to inflict it, and another hanging back and slowcasting the Snipe out of combat for the guaranteed spread.

The other attacks still have a chance to spread, of course, and it's just one attack, but still.

Nerfs in a dead game outside pure balance reasons are loving stupid. Looking at you, Rage. Stupid god drat decision.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

As I edited my post to reflect, I will gladly take "the snipe is always a 55% chance to spread" in exchange for "the heavy attack is a 100% chance to spread." I think that's an overall positive change.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Nerfs in a dead game outside pure balance reasons are loving stupid. Looking at you, Rage. Stupid god drat decision.

Wait; what happened to Rage?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spectralent posted:

It was always bugged on Live, but the devs never fixed it. Now, it's fixed to work as intended: You can not avoid the Def Debuff by double stacking Rage.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Yeah, lego.

Tyrannical despot? This just means people don’t have to pussy foot around six slotting tactics and putting a kismet in something in order for snipes to be worth using.

Seems like a nice quality of life change. Literally the only reason the To Hit requirement even existed was to indirectly buff Devices to be more attractive.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

spectralent posted:

What Kheldran said. Rage was bugged for almost a decade and the devs knew about it, so the bug WAS working as intended. Decided to leave it in because they knew the backlash it would cause. It was "fixed" back in like...2015? So now Rage, during it's crash will ALWAYS hit you with a -20 DEF Debuff. It was lovely enough standing around doing no damage for 10s. Now, good luck living.

So, skip rage and just be "Strength" as opposed to "Super Strength". GG

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
What's the command to search for public channels anyway

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Just like how they just FIXED the merits going to everyone on the team when tip hunting.
Now only the person with the mission seems to get it. And I was having problems yesterday with my alignment going up when others were also doing Hero alignment.

Peachy Poo posted:

I'm making a text document to keep track of all the commands I need to set up on new characters, and I think I'm just missing one now. I don't know poo poo about macros in this game, but someone in the last thread posted one where you could hit G on your keyboard to start typing in the goonsquad channel. Could someone write that out again for me? I'll save it this time.
Check Tommys pins on the Discord in the Mids-or-Feed channel, he posted a popmenu with common commands

LordSaturn posted:

if you take the time to memorize them (~1-2m per category) then workbench 30s are typically 15k for materials and 15k to manufacture, and the important ones like damage and end mod can frequently sell for 100k. it's a pretty profitable racket if you don't get beached by the market.

you save a fuckton of money on recipes if you keep all your workbench IO crafting on one guy, though. memorization rewards you for only caring about 25 and 30 workbench IOs, which is the area where they start being as strong as SOs, and thus optimal to take
drat I never knew this, now I am gonna have to start mailing recipes to myself just for crafting. A waste there is no recipe storage.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

OgNar posted:

Just like how they just FIXED the merits going to everyone on the team when tip hunting.
Now only the person with the mission seems to get it. And I was having problems yesterday with my alignment going up when others were also doing Hero alignment.

Wait, what. They "fixed" any reason to do tip missions on a team? That's dumb as poo poo.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

OgNar posted:

What noooooooo

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Also, it will take a little longer to get into the game today as you will have to download the test server.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3491.0.html

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

Harrow posted:

This change makes sense to me, but I'm also not someone who really played on live servers so I'm not too worried about preserving that experience.

I like that Homecoming is going to be continually developed, but I'm sure there are players who just wanted the old CoX back and would rather not have it continue to change over time as if it was a live game again.

people who want that are dumb & forget the live game back then was dead for months at a time until x new set or change dropped

not only that but even the "pure" i24 servers with no community changes, were still in beta when the game shut down. i don't see anyone trying to revert to i23 for live preservation's sake

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
I decided to try and duplicate all of the silver age JLA costumes, I think I did a pretty good job.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
...aaaaaand downloading the beta client appears to be mandatory. wtf?

EDIT: double-click "Homecoming" and it aborts the DL and launches the game. Still a dopey idea though.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 1, 2019

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

OgNar posted:

Also, it will take a little longer to get into the game today as you will have to download the test server.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,3491.0.html

You can double-click on Homecoming to start the game while it's downloading.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Oh man, bringing back some old faves and playing them until the inevitable C&D.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Tyrannical despot? This just means people don’t have to pussy foot around six slotting tactics and putting a kismet in something in order for snipes to be worth using.

Seems like a nice quality of life change. Literally the only reason the To Hit requirement even existed was to indirectly buff Devices to be more attractive.

That and narrowing the use case for snipes for anyone else to be after you pop Aim/BU.

Insta-snipes were part of I24's pile of Blaster buffs and thus was never properly tested or thought all the way out. I always hated the mechanic because "be at this arbitrary amount of To-Hit" is a dumb, stat-based solution that the average player will have trouble understanding. Even moreso in team situations where you might arbitrarily gain or lose To-Hit. The new version is far more elegant and mimics how Assassin's Strike operates which is far easier to grok.

Also it was yet another bullshit gap between baseline power and IOs.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 1, 2019

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
not to mention it helps out leandro's pet class The Sentinel

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dosvidanya posted:

Ah yes, his pet class that everyone agrees is underwhelming and doesn't actually get snipes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I can't imagine playing psi blaster (my main) without being able to weave insta-snipes into the rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dosvidanya posted:

You mean the one that doesn’t have snipes?