Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Zero VGS posted:

Going off this gentleman's wikipedia photos, he seems almost as likely to die from pie as Gurm is.

Are there any like, swole fantasy authors? None of them have gym as a hobby I guess? None of those desk pedal things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Mieville is jacked that other dude is not

Y'all need to hit the gym if you think that dude has good biceps

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

Strongfat is still strong!

As a powerlifter these are words I live by lol

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MustardFacial posted:

Serious question: As a non-book reader who was dissatisfied with the final seasons and hated 8, I've decided to read the books. I've read a number of people here and elsewhere say that season 1 is basically the first book. So keeping that in mind would it be safe to just start with book 2? Or is there still a bunch of stuff in the first book that isn't at all shown in season 1?

Skipping book 1 is just doing yourself a disservice. The first 3 books are what you want to read. 4 and 5 are not nearly as good. What you're proposing, to use a metaphor GRRM would approve of, is like ordering a delicious pizza, and skipping the center part with all the ingredients so you can get to the crust faster.

Also if it's the ending you're really interested in don't bother. GRRM will never finish because deep down in his shriveled heart he knows his ending to this tangled mess will be just as poo poo at the show, so he's just not going to write it and let everyone dream about how great it might have been rather than prove them wrong.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
When do we see Kit Haring’s iconic 90s art of stickmen and stickdogs

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Skipping book 1 is just doing yourself a disservice. The first 3 books are what you want to read. 4 and 5 are not nearly as good. What you're proposing, to use a metaphor GRRM would approve of, is like ordering a delicious pizza, and skipping the center part with all the ingredients so you can get to the crust faster.

Speaking of food, whenever I ask about the books, my friends tell me that like 90% of the words are reserved for describing food? Like, for real?

edit: lol https://www.vulture.com/2016/04/game-of-thrones-food-erotica.html

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Assassination of Daenarys Targaryen by the Coward Jon Snow

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Re: bookchat - agree with goon above that reading all three is very worth your time. We all drop turds on Martin for writing a word a day but the guy has a knack for using the tiniest connections and allusions to build out his world and history. Its rich in a way the show can't really match. And while the end of book 3 leaves a lot of the major plot points unresolved, every major character (and a few minor ones) complete an arc. The nuncles and explosive diarrhea and all the other bad stuff is mostly in books 4 and 5. And even then, the books arent really terrible. They just weren't worth the wait.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Did we ever find out if the pussy was bad or no

Was it trash pussy or what

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Were you expecting good?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It was trash.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

Can we get a quick lol break to laugh at Britain still having an aristocracy, lmfao

It's pretty fuckin' funny IMO

OY GUV me mum hosed me dad who was her cousin and brother and uncle alls at once which gives me divine right to be in the parliament. My blood hurts and I have ears all over me body.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Also, GOOD OMENS is now on Amazon.

Go watch it, you dorks.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Also, GOOD OMENS is now on Amazon.

Go watch it, you dorks.

Post/av because...

Deadwood movie is on HBO as of today.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Post/av because...

And it's fantastic.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

pseudanonymous posted:

Post/av because...

I figured everyone's already seen it because only a cocksucker wouldn't have.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I figured everyone's already seen it because only a cocksucker wouldn't have.

I'm purposefully delaying the pleasure. Think I'm going to rewatch the series first.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched season 1 episode 1 and I forgot that Roger Allam played Illyrio. It's hard separating him from Peter Mannion, so I like to think when Peter's not being a miserable MP he's on holiday trying to undermine an illegitimate government of fantasy yahoos.

Season 1 is so different from everything else, but I kind of love it for that. Season 2 is really where Game of Thrones becomes Game of Thrones, but season 1 is rock solid on its own merits. Also it's nice seeing some actual colour in the show instead of everything being desaturated and underexposed.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm purposefully delaying the pleasure. Think I'm going to rewatch the series first.

:same:

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm up to S2E6 and hoping to get through to the movie by Sunday night :dance:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

Serious question: As a non-book reader who was dissatisfied with the final seasons and hated 8, I've decided to read the books. I've read a number of people here and elsewhere say that season 1 is basically the first book. So keeping that in mind would it be safe to just start with book 2? Or is there still a bunch of stuff in the first book that isn't at all shown in season 1?
the plot events aint much different, but there's plenty of poo poo you don't get in the show theme/detail/characterization wise (& the non-retarded version of Littlefinger).

Moridin920 posted:

Under the sea, no one can hear you scream, I know I know oh oh oh...

(some leaps in logic there and idk what some of those points have to do with others but it is a repost and not mine)
Deep Ones are Official Ice and Fire Canon (tm) now. gurm is going to avoid the hated show ending by ripping off this post. :pray:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

the plot events aint much different, but there's plenty of poo poo you don't get in the show theme/detail/characterization wise (& the non-retarded version of Littlefinger).

Deep Ones are Official Ice and Fire Canon (tm) now. gurm is going to avoid the hated show ending by ripping off this post. :pray:

There's always been hints of the Cthulu mythos in ASoIaF, i think there's a straight up plateu of Lang somewhere on the map? So Deep Ones wouldn't be really that out of place, and "fat light on feet, crazy teeth" could be his Innsmouth look.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

ElGroucho posted:

lol shut up Twink

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ElGroucho posted:

Still loling at bran the broken, rofl

Sounds like a negative state shame Title your king or general gets in the Total War/Crusader King series when they gently caress something up.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

etalian posted:

Sounds like a negative state shame Title your king or general gets in the Total War/Crusader King series when they gently caress something up.

Then it should apply to the writers

David Benioff the Broken
D B Weiss, All He Ends Are Bad

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

etalian posted:

Bran the farsighted. Bran the seer. Bran the prophet. Bran the three-eyed raven. Bran the eternal. Bran the broken. Yeah lets name him that and say he's king cuz.. gently caress it.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Zero VGS posted:

Going off this gentleman's wikipedia photos, he seems almost as likely to die from pie as Gurm is.

Perhaps, but judging by his current output, he'd probably pump out both WoW and DoS in a single month.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pseudanonymous posted:

There's always been hints of the Cthulu mythos in ASoIaF, i think there's a straight up plateu of Lang somewhere on the map? So Deep Ones wouldn't be really that out of place, and "fat light on feet, crazy teeth" could be his Innsmouth look.

When the Ironborn hold their kingsmoot in the books, the island they are on has a massive skeleton of some long dead sea creature. Like the rib bones are towering over them.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Every little detail I hear about from the books is like a thousand times cooler than what I saw on the show.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

Every little detail I hear about from the books is like a thousand times cooler than what I saw on the show.

in pursuit of their Grand Vision D&D stripped out most of the cool fantasy weirdness from the setting. the Drowned God is basically Cthulhu. "what is dead may never die"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The book Kingsmoot was owned. It was this huge gathering among the remains of that giant sea creature. Euron said he was gonna bind the dragons to his will and take the Ironborn to glory and had awesome treasuries to display from his travels including a sickass dragon horn that incinerated the dude who blew it from the inside out.

The show Kingsmoot was drab and lovely and Euron said he was gonna gently caress the queen.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

On the show everything about iron islanders and dorne sucked rear end completely

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think Bran the Broken is supposed to like e.g. Aethelred the Unready but I don’t think he was called that at the time.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

On the show everything about iron islanders and dorne sucked rear end completely

also Essos

anybody remember Qarth?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Glenn Quebec posted:

the show sucked rear end completely

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

what about the jail titty torture scene for Bronn?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Bronn was a stupid character after like season 2. You could have fleshed out a number of Lannister characters instead of just having Bronn be offered the same thing for 6 seasons and then mugging the camera.

You could have had Addam Marbrand from the books or fleshed out Kevan way more.

Jaime should have died charging Dany like St. George.

Jorah should have died from the leprosy.

Jon should have died dueling the night king.

Arya should have died fighting the waif.

Sansa should actually have to do political maneuvering

Brienne should live.

Hound died correctly.

Cersei should have been dragged out and burned.

Tyrion lives.

Varys lives or at least doesn't die like that.

Littlefinger finally gets got when everyone in the room puts two and two together not Brans horseshit.

Bran should be relegated to doing actual mystic stuff rather then going full idiot savant autism.

Waif/Arya kills Dany.

Rickon doesn't die by sniper fire but is raised by Sansa to be a cunning Stark Lord / King of the North.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
oberyn martell was great

Glenn Quebec posted:

Arya should have died fighting the waif.
thats dumb though

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 1, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

gary oldmans diary posted:

oberyn martell was great

Oberyn is great and Theon is great. They are the only two good things about Dorne and Iron Islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

gary oldmans diary posted:

oberyn martell was great
thats dumb though

It's better than slicked back hair Arya anime fighting. I agree that's it's my weakest hot take though

It would also give her a reason to be weird and duplicitous and interesting. If I have to see maises potato face at least have something going on