Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can pull Bardam door to door, but then the healer isn't doing any damage and I'm not sure that's actually faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As someone who routinely uses duty finder and depends on the skills of random idiots to clear standard content, the idea of tuning damage so that healing is actually difficult makes me nervous, so I hope that rumors about that are greatly exaggerated

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally, an image of a Hrothgar rocking the DNC AF gear has popped up and they look really rad in it. I'm so glad.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

orcane posted:

You can pull Bardam door to door, but then the healer isn't doing any damage and I'm not sure that's actually faster.

actual dps doing more damage should outweigh healers in most situations

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

somepartsareme posted:

actual dps doing more damage should outweigh healers in most situations
Pulling Bardam's Door to Door, no one's doing more damage on the first two doors because they're a long ways away from each other and everyone's having to sprint along to follow the pull.
Also the tank's going to die without defensive CD's because regen/shields are not enough for the damage going out during the run over.

That's only a problem for the first two doors though.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Did the AST lose Time Dilation? I really liked the AST aspect of trying to stack up regens and buffs and time Time Dilation and/or Celestial Opposition just right to give people extra time for powerful buffs (like the collective unconscious + celestial opposition combo).

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Did the AST lose Time Dilation? I really liked the AST aspect of trying to stack up regens and buffs and time Time Dilation and/or Celestial Opposition just right to give people extra time for powerful buffs (like the collective unconscious + celestial opposition combo).

It did. Cele Opp is just a weaker ogcd Aspected Helios now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm really disappointed in that. I thought it was a really unique and interesting mechanic and it was pretty satisfying once I started learning how to best take advantage of it. :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm really disappointed in that. I thought it was a really unique and interesting mechanic and it was pretty satisfying once I started learning how to best take advantage of it. :(

That's AST.png. It's loosing a lot of interesting bits and getting some really boring poo poo in replacement.

Like the new Oppo is so weird beacuse like the regen/shield are just worse than normal rear end aspected helios and in theory you'd use it in a big aoe where you need fast healing with like Neutral stance but if that's happening you're gonna be popping Lightspeed anyway so aspected helios is instant already so it's kind of a pointless button outside of like just mashing it off cooldown for trash pulls.

It doesn't even have the stun anymore either. Just a real loving weird

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 1, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I really liked it conceptually, but, like a lot of AST, it ended up falling victim to optimization. You generally always wanted to use TD on the tank after hitting them with a Largessed suite of HoTs, and you generally always wanted to use CO after Lucid Dreaming + your AoE Spread.

Really, a lot of the issues with flavor/utility being chipped away is a consequence of predictability. You might get slight variations from fight to fight based on individual performance and target selection, but the rhythm is always the same, and that makes the ability to pull a neat trick out of a hat vastly less consequential. There's probably an interesting debate to be had on the merits of more stark variations between pulls (such as randomized move lists). It opens up your design space more, but it risks alienating less-skilled players (because pattern memorization is a lot easier than thinking on your feet) and can potentially lead to weird behaviours, such as a group intentionally wiping if they get a bad initial pattern and end up having to blow too many resources.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I like the new seal system for AST but I will miss stacking ridiculously long regens/balances on people with time dilation and CelOpp.

Xaitil
Aug 5, 2009

Agraya posted:

Don't mind me. Just elfposting.

Joining in on the elfposting.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Like the new Oppo is so weird beacuse like the regen/shield are just worse than normal rear end aspected helios and in theory you'd use it in a big aoe where you need fast healing with like Neutral stance but if that's happening you're gonna be popping Lightspeed anyway so aspected helios is instant already so it's kind of a pointless button outside of like just mashing it off cooldown for trash pulls.

it's good because it's an ogcd heal that you can use instead of a healing gcd. lightspeed aspected helios is still a gcd.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
New CO is good, but kinda boring conceptually since it mirrors the effect of another spell. Feels like there should be more to it imo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The video larryzaur put out of his dungeon run while talking about his interview with Yoshi-p had the paladin tank at level and Ilvl sync eat poo poo in like 3 different trash packs. It looked to me like the ast healer was trying to do the old method of getting in DPS and healing just with ogcds and it just wasn’t working. You’re going to have to actually spend gcds on keeping the tank alive now, which I am super down for.

I'm worried about this. Before, having a bad healer usually meant that they just wouldn't contribute dps. Now it could mean that a bad healer won't be able to keep the tank alive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dancer not being a healer is like dodging a bullet ya know.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm worried about this. Before, having a bad healer usually meant that they just wouldn't contribute dps. Now it could mean that a bad healer won't be able to keep the tank alive.

That's always been a potential issue, but I think it's a pretty slim chance still. Content like Bardam's, Castrum Abania, and release Ala Mhigo had poo poo that could absolutely clobber an even level tank, but I think I only had a handful of instances where whatever healer I was paired with wasn't able to keep me alive. Tanks getting easier access to short duration damage reduction skills should help out with individual pulls, if nothing else.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

it's good because it's an ogcd heal that you can use instead of a healing gcd. lightspeed aspected helios is still a gcd.

You're astrologian, you're already constantly weaving OGCD button presses into your gcd. Like that's when you throw out ES or play cards or dignity or quick pop Collective Unconciousness to prep for the second wave of raid wides.

AST wasn't hurting for buttons to weave so the difference between new Oppo and LS Aspeceted Helios isn't a benefit to Oppo since in a big healing crunch it's just better healing to do Aspected Helios and used the time weaving any of your other poo poo. It's a button that's entire outclassed by the old poo poo in the kid for when you need big heals so it's gonna basically just be a button you push off cooldown except probably not if you're in Neutral stance because you could overwrite other shields.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

That's always been a potential issue, but I think it's a pretty slim chance still. Content like Bardam's, Castrum Abania, and release Ala Mhigo had poo poo that could absolutely clobber an even level tank, but I think I only had a handful of instances where whatever healer I was paired with wasn't able to keep me alive. Tanks getting easier access to short duration damage reduction skills should help out with individual pulls, if nothing else.

I genuinely don't think there's anything to worry about

Healers are always going to be overtuned to have more healing than they need because they really can't balance around "a healer doing their optimal" because then getting through dungeons would be a complete and utter chore. As long as people are pressing buttons they'll be able to heal most content assuming no major screwups.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely don't think there's anything to worry about

Healers are always going to be overtuned to have more healing than they need because they really can't balance around "a healer doing their optimal" because then getting through dungeons would be a complete and utter chore. As long as people are pressing buttons they'll be able to heal most content assuming no major screwups.

Also "Tanks taking more damage so that haelers heal more" was something they said they were doing going into Stormblood and....look at how that turned out.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The video larryzaur put out of his dungeon run while talking about his interview with Yoshi-p had the paladin tank at level and Ilvl sync eat poo poo in like 3 different trash packs. It looked to me like the ast healer was trying to do the old method of getting in DPS and healing just with ogcds and it just wasn’t working. You’re going to have to actually spend gcds on keeping the tank alive now, which I am super down for.

first death he used sentinel and no rampart. Watching the rest he did not use his cd's as often as he could. And IDK if it doesn't show up but I never saw the sheltron buff which is 6 seconds of blocking. Tank looks like he was trash (at the start he took forever to put on iron will). Also leveling dungeons were always rough and you couldn't ever really pull wall to wall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

first death he used sentinel and no rampart. Watching the rest he did not use his cd's as often as he could. And IDK if it doesn't show up but I never saw the sheltron buff which is 6 seconds of blocking. Tank looks like he was trash (at the start he took forever to put on iron will). Also leveling dungeons were always rough and you couldn't ever really pull wall to wall.

I will take that challenge. :colbert:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

I hate it when a on level tank just decides to take huge pulls with a bunch of on level team mate. My dude, all you are doing is for me to not be able to dps and barely have any MP for the boss, bonus points if its an early dungeon where no one has access to aoes yet

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Holyshoot posted:

Terrible healer too, never even cast protect. :haw:

I didn't pay a ton of attention but I don't think that AST cast a single regen throughout the entire run, which is probably suboptimal. Especially since ShB gives you one in nocturnal if you absolutely must do the entire dungeon in badstance for whatever reason. I wouldn't read too much into it, it's a press event with people playing with new abilities, possibly new jobs, without their usual keybinds or setup in general.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Agraya posted:

in a high school anime your elf would be the class rep

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wonder how it is balancing FFXIV vs other MMOs where you have to account for addons. Like in WoW you have to expect a lot (most?) healers to be rocking click to cast addons. Since you have to account for people playing 0 addons vs absurd addon suites that seems harder, but sometimes boneheaded decisions in WoW get smoothed over with addons everyone uses.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Agraya posted:

this is a great elf

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I hate it when a on level tank just decides to take huge pulls with a bunch of on level team mate. My dude, all you are doing is for me to not be able to dps and barely have any MP for the boss, bonus points if its an early dungeon where no one has access to aoes yet

I had a guy do that the other day, just wall to wall pulls when neither of the DPS had AOE skills and he kept losing line of sight on the healer and blamed it on them DPSing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't wait to tank in ShB and have my waifu Y'shtola heal me as I kindly single pull for her sake.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Leal posted:

I can't wait to tank in ShB and have my waifu Y'shtola heal me as I kindly single pull for her sake.

Too bad, Y'shtola's a Witch now.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Too bad, Y'shtola's a Witch now.

Ah that must be the new healer class.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Too many elves, not enough Roegadames.

I still need to find a less skimpy top that still has the big floppy sleeves for that glamour. The pains of dressup.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Leal posted:

Ah that must be the new healer class.

she heals you by spam casting flare so you can't be hurt by anything

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Could just use the yuna sleeves.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Gruckles posted:

she heals you by spam casting flare so you can't be hurt by anything

Yep, all the healing classes really are just reskins of WHM now.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Vermain posted:

I really liked it conceptually, but, like a lot of AST, it ended up falling victim to optimization. You generally always wanted to use TD on the tank after hitting them with a Largessed suite of HoTs, and you generally always wanted to use CO after Lucid Dreaming + your AoE Spread.

I mean, I get what you are saying but to me that's no different than the optimization of any of the DPS class mechanics/rotations (maybe aside from the RNG proc based ones like BRD). It's just a combination of abilities that had a satisfying payoff once I picked up how to use them that I enjoyed.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I generally never do more than 2 pulls when I tank dungeons since it’s usually with random people and I don’t trust them to do more than that. If I’m with goons I’ll do more if they want.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ilifinicus posted:

S-E please change Shoha to not be the most useless button ever and give Samurai something else as their final button thanks

I like that they put in an ability that's a nod to ff6's cyan and it's bottom tier just like he is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ouhei posted:

I generally never do more than 2 pulls when I tank dungeons since it’s usually with random people and I don’t trust them to do more than that. If I’m with goons I’ll do more if they want.

I honestly pull to the wall every dungeon unless the healer specifically asks me not to or there's a New Adventurer bonus. It honestly works out pretty well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Lucid + Lightspeed + Spread Balance + Gravity Spam. Because having that fifth Gravity get clipped because of Lightspeed wearing off sucks balls. >=D