Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Pair up the two so that Sawk can give Timburr a boost in its stats. :v:

...OK, fine, just hand off that Black Belt to Timburr.

e: update on the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Timburr

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Sawk, please.

Also, the Dire Hit thing is less of a joke and more of a concession to game mechanics. The Japanese name for the Dire Hit had been Criticutter (クリティカッター, which is 8 kana) up through Gen IV.

In these games though it was renamed to just Criticut (クリティカット, 7 kana), for a reason that... I don't know will ever come up, but just in case: it's the Wonder Launcher; the name was shortened to make room for the item level in Wonder Launcher battles.

AweStriker fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 2, 2019

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

BlackPersona posted:

Pair up the two so that Sawk can give Timburr a boost in its stats. :v:

...OK, fine, just hand off that Black Belt to Timburr.

e: update on the last page

:bandwagon:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Hey, Focus Energy raises your critical rate to 25%! Jagen should respect that.

...Though it's outclassed by the mentioned Dire Hit, which has the benefit of not using up a move slot (though it also costs cash). The other battle items got the buff to be on-par with Swords Dance etc. in Generation VII, which actually makes them kinda handy. Right now, though, they're outclassed by Work Up. I guess X Specials work, since it's kind of a pain to get moves to raise Sp. Atk...? (...Presuming you'd even want to use buffs.)

Kind of a shame they didn't change the X Special's name this generation, since then they might have a translated joke that would actually make sense...

Also re: trade evolutions there's this, which will let you switch out the trade requirements for level requirements.

pseudoedit: yelling Timburr

Marbychu
Apr 16, 2018
Fun fact: I beat the game with Timburr's first evolution because I had no friends that played the game to help me with the trade for the second. If I can do it so can you.

I also used a Woobat that I seem to remember only evolved right as I reached the League.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

LiefKatano posted:

...Though it's outclassed by the mentioned Dire Hit, which has the benefit of not using up a move slot (though it also costs cash). The other battle items got the buff to be on-par with Swords Dance etc. in Generation VII, which actually makes them kinda handy. Right now, though, they're outclassed by Work Up. I guess X Specials work, since it's kind of a pain to get moves to raise Sp. Atk...? (...Presuming you'd even want to use buffs.)

Kind of a shame they didn't change the X Special's name this generation, since then they might have a translated joke that would actually make sense...

Also re: trade evolutions there's this, which will let you switch out the trade requirements for level requirements.

Nasty Plot is a common enough move on anything that'd want it. Other wise Calm Mind is a good option.

Edit : Scratch that lol, theres quite the lack of Gen 5 pokemon that learn any sp. atk raising move aside from work up.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 2, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Timburr.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
As much as I love Karate Statler, use Timburr

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

If we can't bring out Timburr's full potential, just go with Sawk.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Hey, they renamed it in the new game, get with the times.

LiefKatano posted:

Yeah, the buffs to stat items in Gen VII are interesting. Heck, a lot of items got a lot better in Gen VII, if I remember right.

Also, thanks for the tips, the evolution problem has been solved. I think. I did it with a live save file, which can apparently be a little rocky, but hey, what's the worst that could happen? (nobody invoke the name of rf2 in this thread)

AweStriker posted:

Sawk, please.

Also, the Dire Hit thing is less of a joke and more of a concession to game mechanics. The Japanese name for the Dire Hit had been Criticutter (クリティカッター, which is 8 kana) up through Gen IV.

In these games though it was renamed to just Criticut (クリティカット, 7 kana), for a reason that... I don't know will ever come up, but just in case: [spoiler]it's the Wonder Launcher; the name was shortened to make room for the item level in Wonder Launcher battles.[/spoilers]

I had figured it was some sort of joke that had to do with the JP version, but that's not what I expected. Thanks for informing me, I'll add it to the update!

Also, just to reiterate, I hacked out Trade Evolutions, so everything's fair game now!

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

LordHippoman posted:

Also, thanks for the tips, the evolution problem has been solved. I think. I did it with a live save file, which can apparently be a little rocky, but hey, what's the worst that could happen? (nobody invoke the name of rf2 in this thread)

RIP RF2 LP, I’ll never see the ending to that game due to how regressive the mechanics feel to play. But at least RF5 is slated to come out on the Switch :buddy:

Go with Timburr. Sawk was surprisingly reliable for me when I played BW ages ago, but I’d like to see more evolution-based mons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Timburr, because we need to see that final evolution.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Man, I've seen this thread like 20 times, but somehow I didn't notice that it was a Hippoman thread.

Voting for Timburr because I'm all about those BDG references.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I didn't realize I'd broken my spoiler tags there until I was quoted.

Big oops! At least it's good information.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Statler the Sawk, because I don't think I ever tried one.

LordHippoman posted:

This trainer, not only Brave, but Bold, will be a challenge. Our Pokemon only get one nature, how is he cheating with two?

Keita's mistake was not realising that Brave plus Bold equals Relaxed.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sawk because battle Muppets are hilarious

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
Timburr because I like evolving mons better than non-evolving ones.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Nondevor posted:

RIP RF2 LP, I’ll never see the ending to that game due to how regressive the mechanics feel to play. But at least RF5 is slated to come out on the Switch :buddy:

It's okay, neither will I :v:

I can safely say that of all the announcements we got, RF5 was not on my list of guesses. Can't say I'm not excited, though. I've never actually played one of the "good ones".

It's looking like things are leaning towards Timburr, but I'll keep votes running for another day or so. Thanks for your input on our newest punchman.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So you’re saying that we can only have...

One punch-man? :v:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Definitely Timburr. If we have to have a creepy, humanoid Fighting-type, let us not choose the lesser of two evils.

Plus, single evolution species are basically Pokemon's version of FE's jagens, and our player character can be the only Jagen in this game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Sawk because Timburr is dumb and ugly and boring

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Voting for Timburrton because I used him and he wrecked house.

...Wait, that won’t work as a nickname because this one’s female.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
the garbage bag pokemon and the ice cream pokemon are both fantastic and nobody will change my mind

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Funnily enough, in some interviews Sugimori did back in 2011, he talks about various Gen 5 designs, and he's very happy with stuff like the Klink and Vanillite lines because he believed they hearkened back to the fusion evolutions of Gen 1.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

Voting for Timburrton because I used him and he wrecked house.

...Wait, that won’t work as a nickname because this one’s female.

Timburrchan

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Adding a vote for Timburchan

I used a Sawk myself and it served me well. Hits like a ton of bricks, was reasonably sturdy but is very slow. So now it's time for something else to shiny.

I just strongly dislike vein clown the pokemon due to it's look.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010
Sawk. The elite 4 will tremble before the might of the muppet martial master!

Also, recommending Jim for his nickname.

wodenspoon
May 2, 2018

Throwing in another one for Timburr. I unabashedly love that whole evolution line, weird as it is.

Part of me wishes that Timburr itself never got any bigger, but just used progressively larger pieces of construction material as weaponry. What we got is special in its own way, though.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019
Timburr because I love his name and the names of the rest of his line. And because the final stage hits like a truck.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Timburr
No opinion on the name.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Timburr has a loving sick rear end evolution chain. I mean, it’s no MACHAMP, but it’s still good poo poo regardless. (there are a LOT of gen 5 mons that are pretty/mostly similar to some Gen 1 and 2 mons, Timburr and Roggenrolla being two such mons)

Kemix fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 3, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Timburr never learns wood hammer, and for that reason I must vote for the Sawk puppet.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Alright, votes are tallied, and it looks like Timburr has pulled out ahead! I sure hope I did that hack right or I'm going to look incompetent.

More incompetent, I mean.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, votes are tallied, and it looks like Timburr has pulled out ahead! I sure hope I did that hack right or I'm going to look incompetent.

More incompetent, I mean.

I didn't see Timburr anywhere on that list, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work. And if it doesn't, you can always just get a save state editor, and evolve Timburr that way at the appropriate level.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

I didn't see Timburr anywhere on that list, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work. And if it doesn't, you can always just get a save state editor, and evolve Timburr that way at the appropriate level.

It's listed under the evolution, Gurrdurr, IIRC?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

It's listed under the evolution, Gurrdurr, IIRC?

Of course. My dumb rear end thinking the trade was from 1 > 2, not 2 > 3. Carry on! :downs:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Seriously though, the dude whose style is beating people with a 2x4 doesn't learn the skill about pulverizing dudes with a log.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
That's because his evolutions ditch the log. obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Timburr would make a good software developer though.

A good software developer knows where they keep their logs.