Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's better than slicked back hair Arya anime fighting. I agree that's it's my weakest hot take though
arya anime fighting when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

gary oldmans diary posted:

arya anime fighting when?

https://youtu.be/4US9QGU2yQI

And the wushu staff and the night king kill

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

porfiria posted:

I think Bran the Broken is supposed to like e.g. Aethelred the Unready but I don’t think he was called that at the time.

Wasn't there some viking named "the boneless" and people think he may have had some genetic disorder?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
she was trained to fight completely unlike a knight. who cares

and why should the waif win? ive seena complaint about the arya/waif fight spring up itt several times. that wasnt a fight we saw. it was a chase and arya wasnt some anime acrobatic savant. when hiding failed she was making desperation moves like anything was less certainly death than the waif and they werent lucky
when she was cornered right before the fight actually started she cut the candle. that wasnt symbolic. whereas the waif was more faithful to the many-faced god (or just to cruelty) arya was blinded instead and had to learn to fight sightless

arya beating the waif was actually really tight

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

She didn't beat the waif, though

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

she was trained to fight completely unlike a knight. who cares

and why should the waif win? ive seena complaint about the arya/waif fight spring up itt several times. that wasnt a fight we saw. it was a chase and arya wasnt some anime acrobatic savant. when hiding failed she was making desperation moves like anything was less certainly death than the waif and they werent lucky
when she was cornered right before the fight actually started she cut the candle. that wasnt symbolic. whereas the waif was more faithful to the many-faced god (or just to cruelty) arya was blinded instead and had to learn to fight sightless

arya beating the waif was actually really tight

lmao

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

poverty goat posted:

She didn't beat the waif, though
she hannibal lectered the waifs face. with westeros healthcare being what it is i think its safe to assume there was a fatal infection from that

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

she hannibal lectered the waifs face. with westeros healthcare being what it is i think its safe to assume there was a fatal infection from that

This is after arya survived being stabbed in the guts and then swimming in a city canal. There are no bacteria in westeros. But the waif killed Arya and took her face. This is why arya's writing becomes flat and lovely and she's suddenly an anime warrior like the waif after that

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

and why should the waif win?

Because she got the complete drop on Arya and stabbed her several times (rather than just slitting her throat) before Arya fell into a river where medieval peasants probably took dumps straight into

efb

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that scene was just the writers trying to be way over dramatic while still intending to actually do the plot-significant thing later regardless of what they already wrote

scene a and scene b are almost entirely incompatible and you have to mostly ignore one but scene a is a dead end for the plot
dont mistake liking where arya beats the waif for liking the showrunner writing

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looking at the general internet opinions about the ending, my hot take is that I liked it. I mean, they've got the best guy to rebuild the brothels on King's Landing and a good smuggler as navy commander. No but seriously, I never liked Miss thousand of useless tittles (and mother of dragons!) and we got to see zombie Hafthor sticking out a dagger from his head like Deadpool.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

gary whats up with these super bad opinions my dude

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
if they had just made daenerys descent into madness either the least bit believable or at least not so sudden or maybe just seem like madness and not evil for evil sake then i would be able to say they managed to stumble their way all the way through the finale. regardless of the state of every side plot they wouldve at least gotten the main plot through on its feet. but without that its like they didnt quite make it to the finish line

Glenn Quebec posted:

gary whats up with these super bad opinions my dude
remember that time you suggested the waif sail to westeros to fight the night king

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Dany going full insane in the course of 20 minutes was very dumb and not fun. If they even planned this poo poo out a little bit she could have looked more unhinged and tbh, the actress was portraying her well.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Guillermus posted:

Miss thousand of useless titties

could only see this for a while there

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

Glenn Quebec posted:

Dany going full insane in the course of 20 minutes was very dumb and not fun. If they even planned this poo poo out a little bit she could have looked more unhinged and tbh, the actress was portraying her well.

she went insane over 9 seasons. Not my fault they couldn't show it

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
what we did see was that every time jon stops layin pipe the girl who stopped getting it goes homicidal. being naturally of stark and targaryen lineage its said that jon has a dong of fire and ice

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Snowy posted:

could only see this for a while there

:wink:

what we did see was that every time jon stops layin pipe the girl who stopped getting it goes homicidal. being naturally of stark and targaryen lineage its said that jon has a dong of fire and ice

She didn't got enough Khal Drogo and Snow wasn't hot enough to keep her cool.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 1, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Big Dick Cheney posted:

Wasn't there some viking named "the boneless" and people think he may have had some genetic disorder?

Ivar the Boneless

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Dany went Hollywood Hulk Hogan

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

Dany went Hollywood Hulk Hogan

Someone edit Dany instead of Hulk Hogan on the WTC.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Moridin920 posted:

Just to add because castles are cool;

This is Hluboká Castle:

Not at all a fortified defensive position. Maybe when it was originally built it was, but it has been renovated into its current appearance over the years.

Notice:

- The battlements aren't really useful and are basically there for architectural aesthetic. The merlons aren't very high and wouldn't provide a whole lot of cover. Ideally you want merlons that are head high so you can stand upright on the wall and not get killed. You shoot or throw stuff through the gaps, at an angle and back a bit from the edge of the wall. Same for arrow loops/slits, you stand about a half meter to a meter back instead of with the bow right up to the slit as if you were firing a gun - this castle has no arrow slits though.

- Instead of arrow slits, windows everywhere. Big, huge, ground level windows.

- It has the fake machicolations I mentioned - see how the top of the battlement is offset and jutting out from the wall a bit? Purely for the aesthetic because they aren't forward enough to provide the holes that defenders would shoot and drop stuff through to attack people trying to scale the walls.

- No curtain walls or anything similar. No gatehouses, no real defensive buildings.

- Kind of hard to tell from photos but the thickness of the walls on the structure don't seem like they'd be the "at least meter thick stone" you'd want on a keep. Probably wouldn't even need a cannon to start bringing sections of it down.

It's not a real castle. It's an ahistoric 19th century construction that incorporates aesthetic elements of earlier castle architecture, but without any concern for utility. It is just a huge gently caress off mansion with some decorative ramparts slapped onto it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

steinrokkan posted:

It's not a real castle. It's an ahistoric 19th century construction that incorporates aesthetic elements of earlier castle architecture, but without any concern for utility. It is just a huge gently caress off mansion with some decorative ramparts slapped onto it.

If by "real castle" you mean fortified military compound then yes but "huge gently caress off mansion with some decorative ramparts" describes what is known as a neo-gothic castle. :shrug:

You can call it a chateau if you want but that's just French for castle.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Moridin920 posted:

If by "real castle" you mean fortified military compound then yes but "huge gently caress off mansion with some decorative ramparts" describes what is known as a neo-gothic castle. :shrug:

You can call it a chateau if you want but that's just French for castle.

I mean when I think of a castle, with no modifiers or adjectives, I think of a stone keep, crenelated etc.. Sure if it's a neo-gothic blah blah then it's whatever. But yes the term castle get's thrown around indiscriminately.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

Ivar the Boneless

I played him in Crusader Kings 2. made myself King of Ireland and then returned triumphant to my homeland where I usurped the title of King and had my predecessor hanged as a sacrifice to Odin. :norway:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean when I think of a castle, with no modifiers or adjectives, I think of a stone keep, crenelated etc.. Sure if it's a neo-gothic blah blah then it's whatever. But yes the term castle get's thrown around indiscriminately.

Well a lot of them have features like stone keeps and crenelation on the walls, it's just that they're aesthetic and kind of worthless as far as actual defensive fortifications go.

Like idk there's a lot of things called "castles" which are actually just fancy mansions with a certain aesthetic. Neuschwanstein Castle looks pretty impressive and like a legit castle at first glance but the crenelations are useless, the outer walls aren't 5-10 feet thick like you'd want, it has bigass windows all over it, etc. It's not a real fortress you could defend. It is absolutely just a gently caress off big mansion with crenelations on the walls but regardless it is called a castle.

If you want to be precise about it and say "only military forts from the medieval period that were functional can be called castles" that's fine but it's not really the colloquial usage is all I'm saying.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 2, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are people living in any of the legit old castle forts?

If not I’ll take one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowy posted:

Are people living in any of the legit old castle forts?

If not I’ll take one

Some of them were converted (like the one pictured in my other post iirc) into less defensible but nicer to live in mansion things - cutting windows into the walls etc. People live in those still.

There's abandoned ruins all over Europe though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There are tons of small keeps and castles around europe in various states of direpair. It turns out that maintaining fortified positions is super expensive so good luck on your movie career as you compete with Nicholas Cage

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Also the English tax code got overhauled at some point and owning those things became an insane liability

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Who owns that one monster colossal loving castle in Germany?

It's on a mountain top and has a blue roof, iirc.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm halfway through season four and a loved one is spending actual money on the actual dvds, we've bought up to series five, is it time to talk them out of it or will this be, as they claim, a solid investment

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nankeen posted:

i'm halfway through season four and a loved one is spending actual money on the actual dvds, we've bought up to series five, is it time to talk them out of it or will this be, as they claim, a solid investment

You ever see a cartoon where somebody is driving in a car and all the sudden all the parts fly off and they're left holding just a steeringwheel? Thats the end of this show.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

You ever see a cartoon where somebody is driving in a car and all the sudden all the parts fly off and they're left holding just a steeringwheel? Thats the end of this show.
fantastic

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
my grandchildren will inherit this and only this, the sum of my fortune, game of thrones seasons 2 through to 8 on dvd

(our foxtel free trial ran out after season 1 and we couldn't actually register for a paid account due to technical difficulties, a surprisingly common problem)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nankeen posted:

my grandchildren will inherit this and only this, the sum of my fortune, game of thrones seasons 2 through to 8 on dvd

(our foxtel free trial ran out after season 1 and we couldn't actually register for a paid account due to technical difficulties, a surprisingly common problem)

How will they play DVDs on their VR holo-proejctor??

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

its all nice on rice posted:

How will they play DVDs on their VR holo-proejctor??
obviously there's going to be some kind of adaptive technology made before then you absolute fool

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"Billy, just nod at grandpa like you know what 'Dee Vee Dee' is. Yes, I know physical media hasn't existed for over two decades."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Streaming only is fine if you're a poor college student watching movies on a 13" crt monitor you found in a ravine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Boy, you want to be stuck with the disappointy end, try to watch the LOTR dvd on a 4K TV

It's like watching a DivX movie