Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/douglaswolk/status/1134136711561134081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Just getting around to some of this week's comics. Really enjoyed the ending to the Hunted arc in ASM. Immortal Hulk was fantastic again. Several more issues to get to but those were the first I read.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Is Al Ewing writing anything else right now? Because as much as I want him writing literally everything (thinking about the splash of “these are the Ultimate Ultimates” and dreaming) I want him on Hulk for the long haul with a full mapped out story and a ton of scripts already in the queue, and since sales numbers are there I feel like there’s hope. Seeing the note it with Skaar Hulk and Professor on it makes me so happy to see Ewing make as many “Hulks” as possible cast members with actual parts to play.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Any FF story where 'having a lot of Thing & Yancy Street' is construed as a bad thing is a bad FF story.

I'm with Hawkeye. Thing sucks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm with Hawkeye. Thing sucks.

MODS???

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Cael posted:

Is Al Ewing writing anything else right now? Because as much as I want him writing literally everything (thinking about the splash of “these are the Ultimate Ultimates” and dreaming) I want him on Hulk for the long haul with a full mapped out story and a ton of scripts already in the queue, and since sales numbers are there I feel like there’s hope. Seeing the note it with Skaar Hulk and Professor on it makes me so happy to see Ewing make as many “Hulks” as possible cast members with actual parts to play.

I think with the numbers he's doing on Hulk he'll be there as long as he wants to be. E&C posted it in another thread but not only are new issues selling great, but second, third, fourth, etc printings of older issues are selling great. Ewing finally has a well deserved hit on his hands.

He's also writing the majority of the big 80th Marvel Anniversary book from the teams announced.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I feel he’ll have something big coming up. Immortal Hulk is being heralded as THE Marvel book right now. If Aaron is leaving Thor, Ewing would be the first guy to get the offer.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Valeria/Moon Girl team up strikes me as one of those things which could benefit for Slott's reverse Midas touch, where he comes up with a bunch of decent ideas, writes them badly, but then all the other writers make gold out of them.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

The additional Immortal Hulk reprintings have put in a lot of work getting people caught up. The sixteenth issue not only outsold the first it outsold two issues of Batman.

Immortal Hulk 1 84,153
Immortal Hulk 2 43,481
Immortal Hulk 3 44,389
Immortal Hulk 4 48,003
Immortal Hulk 5 46,676
Immortal Hulk 6 44,741
Immortal Hulk 7 48,902
Immortal Hulk 8 40,983
Immortal Hulk 9 41,398
Immortal Hulk 10 43,229
Immortal Hulk 11 41,010
Immortal Hulk 12 41,331
Immortal Hulk 13 40,496
Immortal Hulk 14 45,708
Immortal Hulk 15 53,120
Immortal Hulk 16 90,305

In April Immortal Hulk sold 47,000 reprints
#2 5698
#14 4600
#12 4225
#15 4126
#11 3888
#10 3844
#9 3826
#6 3814
#4 3786
#8 3772
#5 3662
#1 1134
#7 793

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I feel he’ll have something big coming up. Immortal Hulk is being heralded as THE Marvel book right now. If Aaron is leaving Thor, Ewing would be the first guy to get the offer.

Aaron is leaving Thor. The latest solicitations say that his last storyline is the one coming up.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I liked the subtle Squirrel Girl reference at the end of the Hunted arc. Well, goodbye Belka. Fun fact. That's the name of the first dog who survived a space flight.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, immortal hulk 16 sold more that the first issue?!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, immortal hulk 16 sold more that the first issue?!

I'm not sure if that includes the like six reprints it went back for and as E&C mentioned, #16 would be the first issue you'd get if you'd been reading trades until now.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
After the immortal hulk talk, I bought all the single reprints that aren't on unlimited to catch up. Man, that was an intense ride. I really liked the reference to the War of the Realms, how it's just dealt with in a single speech bubble aside.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
So ready for this book: https://www.marvel.com/articles/comics/jed-mackay-reminds-us-that-cats-have-claws-but-crooks-have-crews-in-black-cat-1

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Early review from AiPT gave it 9/10, which I'm taking as a triumph as I think the highest I've ever gotten from them was a 7.6.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m pretty much a buy only trades nowadays but I’ll definitely snag that tomorrow.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Early review from AiPT gave it 9/10, which I'm taking as a triumph as I think the highest I've ever gotten from them was a 7.6.

Was that for the first Spider Punk issue? I’d give that an easy 8-8.5 at least.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe they didn't like the spiderman manga or daughters of the dragon or ghost panther

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Good point- Ghost Panther and Japanese Spider-Man didn't get reviewed on their own (GP was reviewed as part of the Warps trade), so I wasn't counting those, the Daughters trade was my highest rated so far.

Which is of course fine! I've just been wanting to nail a good AiPT rating for a while now.

Regardless, thanks for the support everyone! I hope you enjoy the book, I think it's probably the best book I've been a part of so far!

edit: Open Marriage Night- 4/10 :(

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 5, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you getting Travel to draw any disgusting body horror? I miss his Animal Man.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The Nao Fuji story was so frickin' cute. :3: She draws such wonderful kitties.

Oh, and fantastic work on Black Cat #1 Mr. MacKay. Both of your stories with your crews were dripping with style and just had me hooked so quickly. Really memorable characters too!

P.S. I know you said you won't be answering shipping questions on Twitter in the interview with Marvel, and I'm not looking for spoilers and appreciate if you can't say anything, but I'm still gonna ask on SA if Felicia's bisexuality has been er... noted? :blush:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Joining the line of people coming in to note that Black Cat owns bones.

Also, Marvel Team-Up is great and you should all be reading it. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:patriot:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

adding my voice to the chorus to say Black Cat was really good

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Is that Magneto?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Amazing Spider-Man: 'I saw you only as the Spider but now I realize that a man lies behind the mask; I truly see for the first time your hero's heart, your kindness, your nobilty. I see at last that you are not a beast.'

Gwen:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that Magneto?

Cosmic ghost rider

I appreciated the world building backups in black cat

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Enh, Hulk Last Call feels like it's been done before already. Doesnt really add much at all.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Joining the chorus to say that I enjoyed Black Cat. The buildup echoed classic heist movies, especially the way the supporting cast and their skills were introduced.

One question though - the album cover isn't the cover for Metal Machine Music. Is that a deliberate choice to avoid getting sued or did the artist not know it was a real album?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there much to stand on by itself? I always thought of her as 'knockoff Catwoman'.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this joke speaks to me on a deep nerd level (wotr - journey into mystery 4)

sorry, one more, this reminds me of venture bros in a good way

site fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 6, 2019

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

site posted:

sorry, one more, this reminds me of venture bros in a good way

Read it in Watch and Ward’s voices.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Thanks everyone, I'm glad people are enjoying the book!

Metalshark- Yep, I read the Kevin Smith run.

Cloks- I'm not sure what happened there, I thought I included a ref for the album when I wrote the script, but I may have forgotten.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Black Cat was the first comic by Vulpes I've picked up, and it did not disappoint. Really nailed the heist film feel, and of course Foreman's art was great. I did not expect a backup with a guest appearance by Dracula. Looking forward to the next issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1136651988681277451?s=19

At this point im expecting Angela to get retconned as being only into straight white dudes

E: looks like the guardians annual is setting up the plot for the next year and/or the next cosmic event

site fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 6, 2019

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

site posted:

https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1136651988681277451?s=19

At this point im expecting Angela to get retconned as being only into straight white dudes

E: looks like the guardians annual is setting up the plot for the next year and/or the next cosmic event

Speculation, but that seems like a very Al Ewing kinda lineup, and I'd definitely trust him to be aware of the importance of Sera. He was also behind America Chavez and Lisa* before that got unceremoniously undone in her solo, so he has previous for Gays in Space. He also has previously written (well, naturally) everyone but Angela already.

* https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Lisa_Halloran_(Earth-616)

But yeah, bummer with Sera in Asgardians of the Galaxy with Bunn. :bang:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metalshark posted:

Speculation, but that seems like a very Al Ewing kinda lineup, and I'd definitely trust him to be aware of the importance of Sera. He was also behind America Chavez and Lisa* before that got unceremoniously undone in her solo, so he has previous for Gays in Space. He also has previously written (well, naturally) everyone but Angela already.

That always got me that they split America and Lisa up, given that while America was going across the country to school she could also easily teleport back home. That series just wasn't very good anyway so it's probably best not to dwell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I will eat my hat if this is not a Ewing event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Ewing also just put fuckin' Avril Kincaid back in play all of a sudden in this week's Guardians of the Galaxy annual, so I'm expecting that to go somewhere.

Lisa seems like she'd be a fun character for some kind of "normal person dragged into superhero shenanigans" arc, like Monica Lynne in Priest's Black Panther.