Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been watching through old british sitcom The Good Life

If you haven't already, try Ever Decreasing Circles next. I revisited it after reading about how this nicey nicey sitcom :vyvyan: is actuslly a study of Briers' busybody neighbour's serious mental illness and the effect this has on everyone around him. Some scenes are harrowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Chubby Henparty posted:

If you haven't already, try Ever Decreasing Circles next. I revisited it after reading about how this nicey nicey sitcom :vyvyan: is actuslly a study of Briers' busybody neighbour's serious mental illness and the effect this has on everyone around him. Some scenes are harrowing

Sounds interesting, sounds similar in spirit to One Foot in the Grave, which also got pretty harrowing at times. I love this moment from season 2 when they get back to find their house was demolished while they were gone thanks to arson and a hurricane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PQ-glh46YQ&t=294s

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

All this talk about Highlander and no one brought up the greatness that was The Animated Series? Well, okay, the cartoon itself wasn't that good, but I just love that their solution for making a kids show about a movie series that revolved around people beheading each other was "gently caress it. Meteor hits Earth, (almost) everyone dies, all of the Immortals except one agree that The Game is kind of bullshit next to the survival of the remnants of the human race and focus on rebuilding society, the one Immortal who didn't agree declares himself ruler of Earth because gently caress you, he's immortal".

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Randalor posted:

All this talk about Highlander and no one brought up the greatness that was The Animated Series? Well, okay, the cartoon itself wasn't that good, but I just love that their solution for making a kids show about a movie series that revolved around people beheading each other was "gently caress it. Meteor hits Earth, (almost) everyone dies, all of the Immortals except one agree that The Game is kind of bullshit next to the survival of the remnants of the human race and focus on rebuilding society, the one Immortal who didn't agree declares himself ruler of Earth because gently caress you, he's immortal".

That sounds pretty loving badass, tbqh

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, the shows actual quality wasn't the best but the premise was rad as hell.

Basically all the surviving immortals would dedicate themselves too one area of study (Biology, engineering, astronomy and so on) in order to preserve what knowledge they could, knowing that some day another immortal would come along that they could pass their knowledge down too.

That immortal is of course the main character who has to travel the world proving himself worthy to the immortals in order to acquire their knowledge through a non lethal version of the quickening.
And of course the main villain was also tracking these guys down so he could start chopping off heads in order to do the same thing.

The world itself was interesting too, most of humanity had a sort of Mad Max thing going on, but the main villain had a reasonably high tech city where every thing was operated by hydraulics I think.
Oh, and they rode around in tanks that shot flaming crossbow bolts, those were pretty cool.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pulsarcat posted:

Yeah, the shows actual quality wasn't the best but the premise was rad as hell.

Basically all the surviving immortals would dedicate themselves too one area of study (Biology, engineering, astronomy and so on) in order to preserve what knowledge they could, knowing that some day another immortal would come along that they could pass their knowledge down too.

That immortal is of course the main character who has to travel the world proving himself worthy to the immortals in order to acquire their knowledge through a non lethal version of the quickening.
And of course the main villain was also tracking these guys down so he could start chopping off heads in order to do the same thing.

The world itself was interesting too, most of humanity had a sort of Mad Max thing going on, but the main villain had a reasonably high tech city where every thing was operated by hydraulics I think.
Oh, and they rode around in tanks that shot flaming crossbow bolts, those were pretty cool.

That rules

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Behold, the terrifying villain of Highlander: The Animated Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9M6jEALp8U

Yes, this IS the original audio.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Call me crazy, but I like both shows.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Call me crazy, but I like both shows.

Hi, Crazy, I'm Absurd!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

AceOfFlames posted:

Behold, the terrifying villain of Highlander: The Animated Series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9M6jEALp8U

Yes, this IS the original audio.

dude looks like Buzz Lightyear went bad in his later years.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Bogus Adventure posted:

in general the highlander franchise was like catnip for 10 year olds who wanna see sword fights in massive lightning storms capped by rock music no matter what premise it used

except highlander 2, which was retconned

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

hard counter posted:

in general the highlander franchise was like catnip for 10 year olds who wanna see sword fights in massive lightning storms capped by rock music no matter what premise it used

Or sometimes, metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

hard counter posted:

except highlander 2, which was retconned

I know Highlander fans hate it, but I like Highlander 2 existing because it's just so loving weird. It definitely doesn't fit, but it's a campy movie with Lambert, Connery, and Michael Ironside. That's a good time, imho.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Meanwhile the third one is a lamer copy of the first movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Speaking of old TV shows I just found this amusing: A glint of light from a plate in my cupboard forms the Starfleet symbol: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-69wu74dpw-sxlMGqyN86u7ULqk25gaT

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Speaking of old TV shows I just found this amusing: A glint of light from a plate in my cupboard forms the Starfleet symbol: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-69wu74dpw-sxlMGqyN86u7ULqk25gaT

:hellyeah:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

my greatest sci-fi shame is never having really watched ds9 despite having watched drat near everything else... back in the day i never found a good time to step in and now i'm too worried that i'm going to read too much so this was when trek first went grim into it

i'm just gonna binge it one day, i hope it's aged well :ohdear:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s not really grim. For the 90s it is, but the only one that seems plausible now is the one where they go back in time with Dick Miller and end up in a concentration camp for poor people displaced by automation.

Everything else is blue-sky optimism re: what fascism is like and how it might be resisted.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, it's still pretty Star Trek-ish. You just wind up with say, a more sympathetic/complex view of stuff like the Maquis sometimes and more gray areas, and the slightest bit of questioning about whether Starfleet is being stupid by not having a real military because pacificist ideals don't mean a lot when the bad guys can just win and enslave you.

I know it's probably not for everybody, but The Greatest Generation podcast has been pretty good for staying motivated on my Star Trek watch. They're about halfway through DS9 right now. It was a fun companion when I was watching Next Generation and it's kind of nice for a watch-along effect. Then again, I have a lot of time when I can listen to podcasts and I already know the pile of inside jokes that make up the podcast's foundation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

YaketySass posted:

Meanwhile the third one is a lamer copy of the first movie.

More the second movie, I think. And it does have the small saving grace of Mario van Peebles trying to eat a condom.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Detective Pikachu: I don't really get the villain's motivation. Becoming Mewtwo is cool but forcefully merging the entire city with their Pokemon seemed pointless? Becoming a Snubbull hardly seems like an evolution into one's best self.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Detective Pikachu: I don't really get the villain's motivation. Becoming Mewtwo is cool but forcefully merging the entire city with their Pokemon seemed pointless? Becoming a Snubbull hardly seems like an evolution into one's best self.

I completely agree with you. In the one month since its release the plot of Detective Pikachu has become essentially blackface. It was so progressive by the standards of early May too...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's basically the plot of Get Out but with Pokemon.

It's actually a recurring thing in the franchise to have bad guys who want want to usurp the power of Pokemon for themselves, not just through partnership but through force or even outright taking them, and denying the agency of the Pokemon themselves in the process, which is the key thing. This is meant to contrast the protagonist who finds he's more comfortable treating Pokemon as equals, and is even able to win Mewtwo's respect for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hard counter posted:

my greatest sci-fi shame is never having really watched ds9 despite having watched drat near everything else... back in the day i never found a good time to step in and now i'm too worried that i'm going to read too much so this was when trek first went grim into it

i'm just gonna binge it one day, i hope it's aged well :ohdear:

ds9 is good but I hate most of the takes on it. I honestly like the early seasons of it best. s2-4 is prime. the characters are much better rounded-out than in tng, but when it becomes more about the Plot, well, the Plot's not that impressive especially nowadays and doesn't have great payoff. however, ups and downs matter when you care about the people experiencing them. like martok, a cool dude.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Star trek solved the issue of pregnant cast members with the engineering smock.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DS9's pregnancy swap was a pretty creative solution.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Volcott posted:

Star trek solved the issue of pregnant cast members with the engineering smock.

You can't just post that without pictures, my duder

Also

lol

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was disappointed to find The Matrix hadn’t aged well since I last saw it a decade or so ago.

The film is aggressively 90’s in style, Keanu is really not a good actor, and the suspended wire fight scenes look hokey where they were previously badass. That fight with Agent Smith in the subway is particularly bad.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

Keanu is really not a good actor

:chloe:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was disappointed to find The Matrix hadn’t aged well since I last saw it a decade or so ago.

The film is aggressively 90’s in style
They even worked it into the narrative with The Matrix being designed at the height of human culture (presumably because 199x was before the internet made us stupid and we melted all the ice caps with our heatdeath blanket).

I'll take Crouching Tiger wire-fu any day over Super CGI Black Panther puppetpeople fighting.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I completely agree with you. In the one month since its release the plot of Detective Pikachu has become essentially blackface. It was so progressive by the standards of early May too...

This was meant for the Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments thread but I will own my shame

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what the gently caress is happening

people need to get off the internet if these are the kinds of sentences that are coming out of their fingers

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alaois posted:

what the gently caress is happening

people need to get off the internet if these are the kinds of sentences that are coming out of their fingers

it's a joke

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I finished watching through The Good Life this morning. It's got an interesting ending philosophically speaking, because in the finale there is a rash of burglaries on the Avenue, and early on Tom and Barbara joke that they haven't anything worth stealing, because over the years they've sold it all for necessary items to make their self-sufficiency work. They end up with a few farm problems cropping up that week though, the goats not giving much milk and a leak from the property next door has damaged some of their soil (although Tom has a plan to move the pig sty to the damaged soil to free up the farming space that it is currently built on, with a concrete floor to cover the oil-soaked earth, they just need some cash to actually do it).

Of course, their house does get hit at the end, and because they have nothing to steal the thieves trash their living room in anger, and of course they are shocked and horrified. However the series ends on a positive note, the thieves get caught trying to rob a different place and Barbara just comes out with "I know why the goat isn't giving any milk lately..." (because she's realised she needs to be mated again before she'll produce, and they just got a new contact who literally bought a farm himself on retirement, after being inspired by hte Goods)

The point being, the house doesn't matter to them, it really is just stuff, the important stuff in the gardens got left alone so they are actually fine.

It's not an ending to their story, because it isn't going to end, it's more of a distillation of their story instead, the truest essence of why their self-sufficient lifestyle was so worth it - because even when things like this happen, it doesn't hurt them much, because it's only unimportant stuff. If it was Margo and Jerry's house that was trashed they would have gone to pieces, but because Tom and Barbara moved their attention elsewhere, they were able to deal with it after only a few minutes of thought, and figure out how to fix the problems that could. be fixed. I also liked Margo gradually relaxing since finally getting to laugh (finally getting the joke for the first time in her life) in the Windbreak War, just little moments of her own ironic observations here and there, marked with a small grin, culminating in her actually joining the others in vaulting the fence rather than walking round it during the giddy conga line.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Krispy Wafer posted:

The film is aggressively 90’s in style, Keanu is really not a good actor, and the suspended wire fight scenes look hokey where they were previously badass. That fight with Agent Smith in the subway is particularly bad.

I still like the original, although it should have ended 5 seconds earlier with Neo walking into the crowd rather than the stupid flying bit tacked on at the end.

The sequels are literally unwatchable.

Also the bluray of the original is re-coloured to match the overly-green look of the sequels, which is unforgivable.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

I finished watching through The Good Life this morning.

I've really been enjoying your stroll through a sitcom I have only the dimmest childhood memories of.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dumb and Dumber didn't age well because the Bluray edits in a bunch of scenes that were rightfully cut in the first place.

More on topic, the theatrical ending of Little Shop of Horrors kind of undermines the movie.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sweevo posted:

I still like the original, although it should have ended 5 seconds earlier with Neo walking into the crowd rather than the stupid flying bit tacked on at the end.

The sequels are literally unwatchable.

Also the bluray of the original is re-coloured to match the overly-green look of the sequels, which is unforgivable.

:hmmyes: to all of this.

The original Matrix holds up if you can groove on that 1999 style, but if you can't I totally see why it would be unbearable. It's definitely a case where the premise and the filmmaking philosophy (e.g: the plot is about Sims learning to exploit cheat codes and take over the server from within, the filmmaking is about Hong Kong shootouts in latex clubwear) only match up so well.

Someone should really do a stealth remake where it's more about showing common video game glitches like no-clip, out of bounds teleporting, and other common exploits as a form of guerilla warfare. A clever filmmaker could do it really cheaply.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

For the fellow/lady watching The Good Life. If you want to watch Penelope Keith play another posh, uptight, overly concerned with appearances character, only this time she is the protagonist, rather than a side character, I would suggest watching To The Manor Born.

She is so loving good at playing that kind of posh, upper class, self important British woman so well.

Hyacinth Bucket is a parody of that kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Matrix loving rules though? And it ages better every year cause every year we get closer and closer to a crushed, ruined hell world, blighted by thirst for wealth and built on the bones of the people, and you better believe Google is working on an augmented reality app to replace the smog with fluffy white clouds and a beautiful blue sky.

And an Amazon warehouse is basically a low tech prototype of the battery fields, where humans live and work, supervised and fired at will by their algorithmic overlords

Nah the Matrix doesn't belong in this thread apart from the lovely Dragula remix in the club scene.