Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Clawtopsy posted:

I just want to see a lowblood who is an invested in the hemospectrum as a highblood.

Fozzer, kind of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

I just want to see a lowblood who is an invested in the hemospectrum as a highblood.

>Now that would've fixed homestuck for me

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It's weird, I enjoyed the epilogue but going back to collide and act 7 leaves a sour taste in my mouth, considering how all the struggles and conclusions they portray pay off.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JustaDamnFool posted:

It's weird, I enjoyed the epilogue but going back to collide and act 7 leaves a sour taste in my mouth, considering how all the struggles and conclusions they portray pay off.
Because the Epilogue isn’t an epilogue. It’s basically washing its hands of everything Act 7 and before, and throwing the characters into a possible setup for a sequel or dare I say Act 8. There’s such a clear line dividing the two narratives that it’s not surprising to enjoy one and dislike the other.

I dislike the epilogue because it doesn’t end Homestuck. I just want to sleep, Hussie. Please let me sleep.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pants Donkey posted:

I dislike the epilogue because it doesn’t end Homestuck. I just want to sleep, Hussie. Please let me sleep.

No sleep until you're dead, in fact not even after that.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

no one stops

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Plom Bar posted:

You all jest but in my lifetime I expect to see Homestuck Studies as a 3000-level English course at an accredited university.

God willing

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

mmmmalo posted:

God willing

Oh hi! I like your blog.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's nice that at least the characters of the epilogues themselves share their audience's restlessness and weariness, as too probably does the original author. Homestuck is the story of being run collectively into the ground but not being able to walk away.

I still wanna know what happened to the iterations of Jake, Dirk, Roxy and Jane that John retcon'd over to fight Caliborn with, considering they survived the battle and were with the Icon after it was loaded. The Beta kids John brought along all died pretty gruesomely battling Lord English, but there's no clear explanation for the other four.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It terrifies me to suggest the prospect, but what is the likelihood of a Homestuck 2? Hussie seemed done with the whole thingyears ago, and I personally would love to see him dedicate his time to new project less loaded with expectations, yet so much of the epilogue seems to point to a continuation of the existing story.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
no rest for us fools we do not deserve it

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

JustaDamnFool posted:

It terrifies me to suggest the prospect, but what is the likelihood of a Homestuck 2? Hussie seemed done with the whole thingyears ago, and I personally would love to see him dedicate his time to new project less loaded with expectations, yet so much of the epilogue seems to point to a continuation of the existing story.

If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. Either way, I'm good.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Dolash posted:

It's nice that at least the characters of the epilogues themselves share their audience's restlessness and weariness, as too probably does the original author. Homestuck is the story of being run collectively into the ground but not being able to walk away.

I still wanna know what happened to the iterations of Jake, Dirk, Roxy and Jane that John retcon'd over to fight Caliborn with, considering they survived the battle and were with the Icon after it was loaded. The Beta kids John brought along all died pretty gruesomely battling Lord English, but there's no clear explanation for the other four.

Maybe if we get an epilogue follow up or Homestuck 2 we'll find out, and even get that version of Dirk vs evil Dirk

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dolash posted:

Oh God drat it, I just realized something: The one chapter in meat where Caliborn shows up is chapter 8.

loving 8.

I have no idea if that means anything, but it feels like it should? Maybe? I hate how this stupid comic/mock fan fiction/whatever has so many things that could end up being clues, but could also just be pointless bullshit and it serves me right for trying to figure any of this stuff out.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Maybe if we get an epilogue follow up or Homestuck 2 we'll find out, and even get that version of Dirk vs evil Dirk

I think it's an interesting part of the whole "Ultimate Self" idea that it doesn't necessarily represent what most people might think of as someone's "best self", just perhaps their most aggregate "true self" - their most consistent characterization across all instances. Dirk more than anyone has been characterized by his divisions and spinoffs, and the idea that it's possible for Dirk to overcome his abusive tendencies, just unlikely, is kind of a novel way to think of a character.

Hell, the theories surrounding Rose and Roxy working together to split the timeline as a long-con to defeat Dirk would be an extremely clever meta-maneuver, that takes into account Rose's own impending Ultimate-ness as something to plan around and manipulate. The story is so committed to engaging with its metanarrative elements and the characters being active players in the writing of events that they can even leverage the idea of their idealized selves.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I am reminded of the classic Winger.

Abed, stop being meta! Why do you have to take everything that happens to us and shove it up it's own rear end?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm not really paying attention to things anymore, but if you liked Alternia this semi-new canmt solo album succeeds at the aesthetic quite well imo: https://coolandnewwebcomic.bandcamp.com/album/haroldbound
A very "early Toby" sound to it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm not really paying attention to things anymore, but if you liked Alternia this semi-new canmt solo album succeeds at the aesthetic quite well imo: https://coolandnewwebcomic.bandcamp.com/album/haroldbound
A very "early Toby" sound to it.

Yeah, agreed. This is a really fun album and some of the tracks are fantastic.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know, with the Epilogues, all the existing Roxy fanwork retroactively became Rule 63.

Edit: Roxy also manages the epic combo fo being bost best girl and best boy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Someone brought up a disturbing implication to me recently:

The text says that mature cherubs (which have consumed and integrated their other selves) will, by instinct, seek out a mate that is similar in personality to their lost other-self. They will then begin a new struggle for domination. Alt-Calliope is an adult cherub who went through the natural maturation process. Dirk shares a lot in common with Caliborn. They have a fight over control of the narrative.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alt-Calliope doesn’t have wings so I assume like Caliborn her development was an aberration. Probably in self-defense given her brother’s plans.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

Someone brought up a disturbing implication to me recently:

The text says that mature cherubs (which have consumed and integrated their other selves) will, by instinct, seek out a mate that is similar in personality to their lost other-self. They will then begin a new struggle for domination. Alt-Calliope is an adult cherub who went through the natural maturation process. Dirk shares a lot in common with Caliborn. They have a fight over control of the narrative.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that alt-Calliope is horny as hell for Dirk and he's too oblivious and gay to notice.

Also, I think Tavros might have become an ultimate self and turned evil. The epilogue makes a lot of references to The Complacency of the Learned, the novel Rose wrote. In it there are Twelve disciples, whom Rose thinks represent the Twelve players who came through the door at the end of the game. Except, there weren't twelve players who came through there were thirteen: Gcatavrosprite managed to sneak his way into the snapchat final credits thus canonically making Tavros the group's equivalent of Calmasis, the thirteenth and most powerful of the group of young wizards. Presumably sometime during his seven years on Earth C Tavros unlocked his hidden potential, turned evil and/or crazy, and ascended back into the realm of canon and has been lurking out there waiting for the other Twelve to also turn crazy and/or evil so they can help him gently caress poo poo up.

And as for why no one remembers that one time the blue ghost cat that Jake and Dirk were roommates with gained unlimited power and escaped the bonds of reality: Rose also mentioned an unraveling or forgetting that can happen over time in the realm of the noncanonical, so apparently after it happened everyone just sort of blocked it out.

If the story ever continues I want this theory to be true mostly because the idea of Dirk, after all of his babbling about being the perfect puppet master and ultimate engineer, stepping out onto that class-m planet in his anime pajamas and immediately getting his rear end kicked by Grimdork Tavros who then proceeds to take over the role of primary antagonist and biggest bad is hilarious. It's also the most humiliating thing that could possibly happen to Dirk, and at this point anything that makes Dirk sad is very good thing indeed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Man, just... gently caress Dirk. Now I remember all over again how bad he was. Everyone rightly pointed out so many bad things about him, but the saddest poo poo to me in the Meat storyline is when he narratively manipulates Kanaya into giving up on Rose. :(

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Here's a very interesting analysis of Dirk from some one who's read more Milton than I have.

quote:

The parallel part for Dirk covers the sad inevitability of his conflict, which is a point Satan's going to make as well. Free Will is a central question here. For Dirk, free will is both the factor that necessitates his intervention, and the force that makes his villainy inevitable. "If reality and those within it were already so intrinsically pliable, so amenable to deviating from their own nature," Dirk expounds, "the sins of men and faults of God would have no rigidity or resilience. There’d be no challenge in forcing their correction." I mean, that's a pretty hosed up way to talk about screwing around in the brains of your friends, but Dirk's pretty far gone at this point.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

While I like this at a glance, it bothers me whenever people say that Milton "was of the party of the devil". He wasn't - that is a quote from William Blake, and it reflects his own interpretation of the work. Milton was super Christian. If you actually read Paradise Lost, Satan's not a sympathetic guy. He fucks his own daughter within the first, like, fifty pages.*

*Now that I think of it, it's extremely remiss of this analysis that it doesn't draw a parallel between this and Dirk's creepy treatment of Rose in Meat.

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 11, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i always thought tavros could have been one of the strongest characters because he can control animals and both gcat and beq (and by extension omega powerful jade) could have been under his command

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hell was there any animal component in the insanity of mixed characters that is lord english?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ArfJason posted:

hell was there any animal component in the insanity of mixed characters that is lord english?
AR and Equius share a horse theme.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ArfJason posted:

Maybe? Do Cherubs count as an animal? It's never been made clear whether Tavros's powers only work on creatures of a certain sentience level or if anything "not a troll" counts as an animal.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Maybe? Do Cherubs count as an animal? It's never been made clear whether Tavros's powers only work on creatures of a certain sentience level or if anything "not a troll" counts as an animal.
If it was any non-troll, Vriska would have undoubtedly used him to manipul8 the kids. Control Tavros to control the kids (much like what she did to Terezi via her lusus).

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

AR and Equius share a horse theme.

those arent animals though, just obsessed with them

i remember as a kid watching teen titans wondering why beast boy couldnt literally turn into people since probably theres some alien animal who are like people and eventually he turned into an alien animal

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ArfJason posted:

i remember as a kid watching teen titans wondering why beast boy couldnt literally turn into people since probably theres some alien animal who are like people and eventually he turned into an alien animal

Well, his skin and hair always stayed green, so even though he probably could turn into a person it would still be clear it was him. So, he wouldn't be able to turn into a person as a disguise or to spy on people, and if he can't do that then what's even the point? Also, let's be honest, being an eagle or a tiger is way more fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ArfJason posted:

What do you think his default form is?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In Teen Titans Go, BB actually does try turning into a human and it turns out he can.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

What Pumpkin posted:

So we reached out to you last month to find out exactly what your most pressing questions were about us, Friendsim and Hiveswap. We’ll answer some of them here: 

Are all four acts of Hiveswap still coming? When are each of the games coming out? What’s the roadmap for these games? 

We are committed to delivering Hiveswap in its entirety–Act 2, followed by Act 3, and then Act 4. After that, we can turn our attention to the possibility of Hauntswitch. 

Will the games come to any additional platforms? 

Hiveswap will continue to be released on Steam and other sites for PC, Mac and Linux, as was initially promised. While we currently have no plans to port the game to any other platforms, we are open to the possibility of considering this in the future. 

Please, tell us more about Hiveswap: Act 2!

Act 2 is still a point and click adventure game, with the same basic UI and mechanics. The puzzles and gameplay will focus more heavily on character dialogue in this installment. 

In terms of length, the amount of time it will take you to complete the game will depend on how much time you spend exploring and talking to the characters in each scene. There will be more content in Act 2 than Act 1.

What’s going to happen in the game? Where will it take place? Which characters will be in it? 

Details about the story and plot of the game will be best revealed by the game itself. You will be able to look forward to seeing a lot more of Alternia in Act 2.

How does Friendsim fit into the Hiveswap games?

Friendsim is an extra-canonical series of character introductions and backstories to add flavor to the Hiveswap experience. You don’t need to have played Friendsim to enjoy Act 2, but if you’re interested in any of the characters that appear in Hiveswap, it’s a great way to find out more about what they’re like.

I’m a bit confused on how Kickstarter rewards will work. What do we get again? 

All Kickstarter backers who pledged to receive a digital copy of the game will receive Hiveswap, Acts 1-4. If you opted for the tier that included the soundtracks for all Acts of Hiveswap, you’ll get that, too.

Backers who pledged to receive physical copies of the games will be sent their copies when all four acts are complete.

Who’s doing what on the team behind Hiveswap: Act 2?

James and Toby are back for music, Adrienne is back for animation, and Aysha of Friendsim has joined the writing team. In the future we’ll be doing a series of artist and writer spotlights, introducing you guys to the team. 

Thanks for sticking with us! We’re excited to be diving back into the Homestuck universe and we’ll keep updating you regularly on our progress.

Hiveswap. Hiveswap continues.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Too bad about Hauntswitch, but hey, Hiveswap Act 2 news is good news

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Too bad about Hauntswitch, but hey, Hiveswap Act 2 news is good news

Well, it's not completely cancelled or anything.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Well, it's not completely cancelled or anything.

"the possibility of Hauntswitch" is by far the most pessimistic language they've ever used in relation to this project

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What was Hauntswitch? I'm pretty lost at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What was Hauntswitch? I'm pretty lost at this point.

hiveswap is a human going to troll planet

hauntswitch was going to be about the troll that goes to earth in their place