Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hooah posted:

How do you do it? Considering two of us can't figure it out it doesn't seem like it's obvious.

I can double check when I get home, but it was clearly marked and has been a thing for a long time on Android, I remember doing it on my Galaxy S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Vagrancy posted:

maybe you're in some weird broken a/b test?

wouldn't surprise me. i've also been experiencing some gnarly double/overlapping chimes when i get notifications. i usually keep all sounds off anyway bc it's more of a nuisance than anything else, i'll just go back to doing that until they "fix" things

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

when i raise the volume on my pixel 2 xl so music or silly videos on instagram/twitter play with sound, i don't want texts and fb messenger notifications to ring.

seems like no combination of slider configurations has helped and i'm thinking i have a fundamentally poor understanding of how volume controls work on android. the volume slider is for apps to make sound/noise and the bell icon is just for phone calls. if true, i'd love to know if there's a way i can make the bell icon work for calls and notifications and the volume slider strictly for in-app audio. i'm guessing it's all considered the same thing to the OS.

???

Do you not have these? Everything you're describing is a separate slider. Ring volume is notifications, media volume is... Well, media volume.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think the problem is ring volume and notifications being tied together. That, to me, is silly.

Edit: looking back, my initial comment of media + notifications was incorrect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hooah posted:

I think the problem is ring volume and notifications being tied together. That, to me, is silly.

Edit: looking back, my initial comment of media + notifications was incorrect.

Oh, yeah, I dunno about breaking those up. poo poo's always in vibrate mode for me.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vagrancy posted:

Google devices merge Notification and Ring volume into one (the lore being that calls are just another type of notification). Samsung having a separate Notification slider doesn't help at all if its being outright ignored.

Tested it myself out of curiosity. Setting the ringer to vibrate will set the notifications to vibrate as well with apparently no way to change it. The inverse is not true however, you can have max volume ringer and silent notifications. You can also set the ringer volume at 1 for an effectively silent ringer and still keep notifications at whatever volume you want. Tested it out with a couple of Google and third party apps to make sure the setting doesn't affect just the built in Samsung apps only.

Not that I can see a scenario where I wouldn't want both the ringer and notifications to be at the same volume but the option is there if that's what floats your boat.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

This is why I created my own notifications. I'll never tire of hearing the Drifter from Destiny 2 say "Alright, Alright, Alright!"

Short or Long version.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 31, 2019

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

Finally we're free from the tyranny of knowing what our signal strength is!

And your battery. :crossarms:

Edit: I, uh, had more pages left than I thought

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Waterproofing isn't so you can take pictures while scuba diving, it's so you can maybe possibly have your $1000 phone near the pool without having to freak out every time a splash happens. Or you're taking a long walk and it starts raining. Or you're shoveling snow while listening to Spotify and you slip and fall right on your pocket.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 31, 2019

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Waterproofing isn't so you can take pictures while scuba diving, it's so you can maybe possibly have your $1000 phone near the pool without having to freak out every time a splash happens. Or you're taking a long walk and it starts raining. Or you're shoveling snow while listening to Spotify and you slip and fall right on your pocket.

Or a pigeon takes a massive poo poo on your screen and you'd prefer to aggressively clean it with copious amounts of soap and water.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some folks apparently having issues with the Oneplus 7 Pro's screen not working in it's entirety:

https://twitter.com/mweinbachXDA/status/1133491386580426753

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I caved, I can’t use this iPhone for 5 months until the Pixel 4XL comes out. Have a 2XL getting delivered Monday.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Moey posted:

I caved, I can’t use this iPhone for 5 months until the Pixel 4XL comes out. Have a 2XL getting delivered Monday.

It's the smart choice because you don't know what dumb issue the next Pixel flagship will have: easily broken microphone? Bad screen tint? 4gigs of ram?

The Pixel 4a will probably be the better option considering Google's track record.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Tetrabor posted:

It's the smart choice because you don't know what dumb issue the next Pixel flagship will have: easily broken microphone? Bad screen tint? 4gigs of ram?

The Pixel 4a will probably be the better option considering Google's track record.

Yeah, this will also give me some breathing room to see how they handle real-world use instead of pre-ordering. The new renders sure do look good though.

Note 10 is still a valid option as well.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Incessant Excess posted:

Some folks apparently having issues with the Oneplus 7 Pro's screen not working in it's entirety:

https://twitter.com/mweinbachXDA/status/1133491386580426753

Never settle

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

vyst posted:

Never settle

While that looks dumb, my 2XL does this every so often when I put it in its car mount or when I am trying to use Maps + Youtube split screen. Sometimes it just freezes input on one or both apps in weird ways and I have to turn the screen of then unlock, and all is back to normal.

With nothing else to go off of, did the guy even do that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

vyst posted:

Never settle

Keep Moving :canada:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I don't know where to ask this so: My Pixel 2 keeps selling to users on ebay who never pay. Is there a way to ensure a real buyer wins the auction?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I don't know where to ask this so: My Pixel 2 keeps selling to users on ebay who never pay. Is there a way to ensure a real buyer wins the auction?

Sell on Swappa instead?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sell on Swappa instead?

Thanks, I'll try that.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Quick question

Has something changed in how pixel 3s do wireless charging? I have a bedside IKEA wireless charger, and when on it the lock screen used to say something like "x% charging slowly", but I looked at it tonight and it says "x% wirelessly charging". Have they finally unlocked wireless charging at the speed the charger can go (rather than limiting it artificially), or is it just a text change?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

There's also an option when you list to require immediate payment, at least if you list it as a Buy It Now rather than auction.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

iajanus posted:

Quick question

Has something changed in how pixel 3s do wireless charging? I have a bedside IKEA wireless charger, and when on it the lock screen used to say something like "x% charging slowly", but I looked at it tonight and it says "x% wirelessly charging". Have they finally unlocked wireless charging at the speed the charger can go (rather than limiting it artificially), or is it just a text change?

My guess is that wording was to get you to buy a Pixel Stand, but then they realised it was a bit douchey.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

iajanus posted:

Quick question

My understanding is that it's just a text change but you can always verify using Ampere.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

vyst posted:

Never settle

My 6t is probably the best phone I've owned after 6 months of ownership but I probably just jinxed it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

WhyteRyce posted:

My 6t is probably the best phone I've owned after 6 months of ownership but I probably just jinxed it

Thanks jerk, I really liked this phone!

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Pixel 2 XL owner and I think I am having a similar problem to some of the above posters; I am getting piercingly loud notifications through my Bluetooth headphones even when I am on vibrate or silent.

It just started happening one or two days ago and it is driving me crazy.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Looks like under-display cameras might not be that far off:

https://twitter.com/oppo/status/1135393369113280512

https://twitter.com/atytse/status/1135431372414234624

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass
Am I wrong in thinking that under-display cameras are inherently flawed because they're under a touch panel and will therefore probably have smudges and fingerprints in front of the sensor at all times?

There's processing to counteract, but still

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fooge posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that under-display cameras are inherently flawed because they're under a touch panel and will therefore probably have smudges and fingerprints in front of the sensor at all times?

Nope I agree, super skeptical of this

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
People don't really touch the middle of their status bar all that much I think.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Fooge posted:

Your rear camera probably has a bunch of tiny scratches on the cover as it is, could be fine. I'm curious as to whether having the display lit causes interference with the camera, and how big the dead zone wants to be when the selfie cam is in use. If there's no interference and you could cram the camera into the middle of the phone that'd be pretty neat though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

And people that do swipe their status bar are gonna swipe over a notch almost as much

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Google Camera will warn you if it thinks the sensor is dirty, so I'm sure that phones with under-screen cameras will have a similar feature.

UncleButts
Sep 25, 2003

pure of heart
dumb of ass

isndl posted:

Your rear camera probably has a bunch of tiny scratches on the cover as it is

That's pretty different from me being a peanut-butter-handed idiot, tho

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Fooge posted:

I use the front facing camera on a phone so little that I will take having to potential clean it once in a blue moon when I use it over having to deal with a notch.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Incessant Excess posted:

But when a goon holds the phone against his or her fat ear, sweat and viscous wax goes over the display, so it's not just fingers that account for stinking screens.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

But when a goon holds the phone against his or her fat ear, sweat and viscous wax goes over the display, so it's not just fingers that account for stinking screens.

That won't happen because nobody calls goons.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Fooge posted:

Just wipe it off? I think the pros outweigh the cons on this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I mean, I wipe my front camera every time I use it, it always has a slight sheen to it after sitting in my pocket/ear for X amount of days.

If you're taking selfies every hour then I could see it as annoying, but then your taking selfies every hour...