Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Congratulations to the creator of one of the great awful graphs of recent history!

https://twitter.com/jimtankersley/status/1134551214211969025

Here's an attempt to fit data to his famous Laffer Curve:

Goon Danton has a new favorite as of 03:37 on Jun 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Does that mean he has gas?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Goon Danton posted:

Congratulations to the creator of one of the great awful graphs of recent history!

I'm most offended at "left scale" and "bottom scale".

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Memento posted:

I'm most offended at "left scale" and "bottom scale".

I don't know if this is standard, but when I took an economics class I remember being very angry that the independent variable was on the y-axis. I think it was because they always put price on y, so if you're changing price independently then your graph is sideways.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jurgan posted:

I don't know if this is standard, but when I took an economics class I remember being very angry that the independent variable was on the y-axis. I think it was because they always put price on y, so if you're changing price independently then your graph is sideways.

Spacetime diagrams go this way as well, with time going up and position going in the other 1-1.5 dimensions. Not exactly sure why that is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Other field: Wow, we do strange things to a graph axis.
Astronomy: hold my beer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Powered Descent posted:

Other field: Wow, we do strange things to a graph axis.
Astronomy: hold my beer.

That's pretty thermo of them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

I seriously think that's hand drawn and not even fitted via any actual criterion. If this was any sort of actual regression, there's no way it would be hitting the maximum like that.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jurgan posted:

Look, I honestly don't care that much where you put your variables, that ship has sailed. But you can still call them the Y and X axes respectively - they have names here, we're not animals.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

I seriously think that's hand drawn and not even fitted via any actual criterion. If this was any sort of actual regression, there's no way it would be hitting the maximum like that.

It's fitted with the criterion "line must show that the US should reduce its tax rate"

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's fitted with the criterion "line must show that the US should reduce its tax rate"

It's this

Also, if the line *didn't* hit the maximum, then people would spot that you absolutely can have higher tax proportions of GDP than the Laffer Curve supposedly says, and therefore the Laffer Curve is wrong (which it is)

So yes, it's absolutely pulled out of someone's arse.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

It's worse than that. That's an attempt to "fit" the curve to data. The original curve was based on these three points:

• At 0% tax, you collect no money.
  • At 100% tax, you also collect no money, because everyone would evade taxes out of necessity.
  • At some point in between, there must be a maximum amount of money collected.

From this he draws a curve literally (actually literally) on a bar napkin and earns himself a spot on Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

It's worse than that. That's an attempt to "fit" the curve to data. The original curve was based on these three points:

• At 100% tax, you also collect no money, because everyone would evade taxes out of necessity.

From this he draws a curve literally (actually literally) on a bar napkin and earns himself a spot on Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board.

You're talking about the origins of the Laffer Curve, I'm talking about that specific attempt to actually "estimate" it from data.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Goon Danton posted:

More like :laffo: curve

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

Those three points are just Rolle’s Theorem. So he dazzled Reagan with cutting edge math from 1691?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ronald Reagan, star of noted economical text Bedtime for Bonzo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that curve sure is a laffer

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jurgan posted:

Those three points are just Rolle’s Theorem. So he dazzled Reagan with cutting edge math from 1691?

You're assuming the function of tax revenues collected as a percentage of GDP is continuous.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

He dazzled Ronald Reagan by telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. Really makes me wish I was alive then, I could be such a grifter by just scribbling things on napkins and saying that makes it a fact.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Also, the percentage of corporate tax is meaningless if the majority of corporations are using legal fuckery to pay an effective - 1.3% in taxes.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TinTower posted:

You're assuming the function of tax revenues collected as a percentage of GDP is continuous.

And differentiable, but I think that’s a fair assumption if you could make arbitrarily small changes to the tax rate. Whereas if you can’t, then the image of the function is a finite set and it must have a maximum.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Jurgan posted:

And differentiable, but I think that’s a fair assumption if you could make arbitrarily small changes to the tax rate. Whereas if you can’t, then the image of the function is a finite set and it must have a maximum.

I was going to say "doesn't continuous imply differentiable?", but the implication is the other way.

I hate real analysis.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Here, I've made a better graph.

Numbers don't lie.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Goon Danton posted:

there's a much-improved version of this chart which has the dots connected by the head of Ayn Rand, and she's wearing a party hat and one of those roll-out party kazoo things but i can't find it :mad:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ran across a page with some hideously bad information about password strength, but the real crime here is the presentation of the (laughably wrong) data.

https://www.betterbuys.com/estimating-password-cracking-times/

Context: computers have gotten faster as the years go by, so the amount of time it would take to brute-force a particular password has correspondingly dropped. Let's see, how best to convey that to the reader...

I'm speechless.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TinTower posted:

I was going to say "doesn't continuous imply differentiable?", but the implication is the other way.

I hate real analysis.

Not only is the implication the other way around, but in fact most (whatever that means) continuous functions from R to R are nowhere differentiable. We live in a very strange corner of the mathematical universe.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Not only is the implication the other way around, but in fact most (whatever that means) continuous functions from R to R are nowhere differentiable. We live in a very strange corner of the mathematical universe.

I love it when you have these things that are so difficult to construct yet are provably almost everything. Normal numbers are another example.

Jurgan has a new favorite as of 04:25 on Jun 2, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jurgan posted:

I love it when you have these things that are so difficult to construct yet are probably almost everything. Normal numbers are another example.

If you're not familiar with it, you should read up on the probabilistic method.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don Gato posted:

He dazzled Ronald Reagan by telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. Really makes me wish I was alive then, I could be such a grifter by just scribbling things on napkins and saying that makes it a fact.

Good news: if the professionally produced graphs in this very thread are to be believed, that is still a vibrant industry!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Powered Descent posted:

Ran across a page with some hideously bad information about password strength, but the real crime here is the presentation of the (laughably wrong) data.

Context: computers have gotten faster as the years go by, so the amount of time it would take to brute-force a particular password has correspondingly dropped. Let's see, how best to convey that to the reader...

I'm speechless.

That is a staggeringly awful image.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Powered Descent posted:

I'm speechless.

Week: Now apparently its own plural!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

AnoHito posted:

Week: Now apparently its own plural!

1 months, 1 days and 1 hours too.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hacker: we're almost done here, just 54 minutes, 19 seconds, 29 seconds and 1.37 miliseconds left!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nenonen posted:

Hacker: we're almost done here, just 54 minutes, 19 seconds, 29 seconds and 1.37 miliseconds left!

And 4 week.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
wow whoever was cracking passwords in 2000 was a moron. they would have cracked it faster if they just waited a year

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I refuse to believe it ever took multiple months to crack the password "security1", let alone multiple years

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I’m 2 month and 4 week

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
this infographic is telling me it's time to upgrade to "security2"

Furia posted:

I’m 2 month and 4 week

im 42 seconds 77 seconds 0.9 miliseconds

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Braggart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Jurgan posted:

I love it when you have these things that are so difficult to construct yet are provably almost everything. Normal numbers are another example.

See also: transcendental numbers as a whole.