Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
CMFEU 4 Adani

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lid posted:

CMFEU 4 Adani

The best insight into the overarching cultural values and opinions held by the CFMEU is gleaned by stepping into the time machine express to 1972 that is their annual grand final breakfast in Melbourne.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
If you haven’t seen the Great Barrier Reef yet, you better hurry up. The Liberal party are doing everything they can to kill it.

quote:

Coalition MP Warren Entsch has backed a plan to bulldoze 2000 hectares of pristine forest near the Great Barrier Reef despite being appointed to a role championing the natural marine wonder.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-s-reef-advocate-backs-massive-tree-clearing-plan-20190601-p51thy.html

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

froglet posted:

Good post

JBP posted:

Also good post

Yeah I mean at the end of the day we're all on the same page re: unions are ultimately a force for good and more people should join and we should investigate where and why they don't.

Since all posts lead to Footscray, members of a certain store that rhymes with Ravers have just secretly unionised (SDA), and it was all initiated by the young and casual staff there. So there's some hope for da yoof, I guess, but they had to do it all on their own, and the staff there are left leaning to begin with. That's what I mean by active outreach - unions taking steps to engage with workplaces that aren't already members/have large membership bases in order to increase. Of course that activism does exist to an extent, but I suspect (broadly speaking) it could be done a lot better.

Ironically I actually saw more support for the Change The Rules campaign than I did for the Greens/ALP combined in the general public throughout the election. I'm not sure if that means anything or it's pure anecdote bullshit, but I think at least Australians aren't actively hostile to unions culturally like many in the US.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I suspect there's also an element of stereotype that comes to women-dominated professions, and they get treated worse if they don't adhere to the stereotype to some degree.

Like, I've heard of instances where nurses and teachers are expected to care for their profession (patients/students) more than their own families. When you put it like that, it sounds messed up, but it's often phrased as being some innate part of the industry rather than a choice made by hospitals and schools.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

thanks froglet and JBP for the organising and unions chat. it’s very interesting and illuminating.

my union has one women on their executive, out of ~15 or so people. and we have one shop steward that’s a woman (out of about 40 or so). This is a workforce of 98% males, with 1900 people or so. there’s talk that the woman that’s just been appointed to the executive is going to be the next secretary, but it’ll be 5-10 years before the current guy retires.

also, it’s unsurprising that the fash have good conditions. Vic Labor give them shitloads of extra funding and staff so they can’t be seen to be weak on crime and Vic Libs are conservative shitheads who love the fash anyway.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

If you haven’t seen the Great Barrier Reef yet, you better hurry up. The Liberal party are doing everything they can to kill it.

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/coalition-s-reef-advocate-backs-massive-tree-clearing-plan-20190601-p51thy.html

Thank gently caress I got 50 dives in 6 years ago.
It is genuinely very neat and you don't need to have fancy dive licenses to enjoy 90% of the reef; most of the colourful stuff that you actually want to see is stuff you should be able to see above 10m, which is how deep an intro dive will take you. You also want to go in the dead of winter because that's the dry season when there will be no cat1 cyclone grounding all boat trips to a halt.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
https://theaimn.com/bridget-mckenzie-revealed-the-adani-jobs-lie-and-no-one-noticed/

Not sure how reliable this source is but.

quote:

Nationals deputy leader Bridget McKenzie made an amazing admission in an interview on Sky but nobody (except The Australia Institute) seemed to notice.

“[Adani will] be employing 1500 through the construction phase and around about 100 ongoing.”

lol

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
probably old but loving hell

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
hadn't keneally been relatively critical of offshore processing in the past? lol

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if the home affairs shadow minister's goal isnt to destroy the home affairs office then whats the point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

P.Much exactly what anyone who knows how much mining is automated would have said.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Schlesische posted:

Thank gently caress I got 50 dives in 6 years ago.
It is genuinely very neat and you don't need to have fancy dive licenses to enjoy 90% of the reef; most of the colourful stuff that you actually want to see is stuff you should be able to see above 10m, which is how deep an intro dive will take you. You also want to go in the dead of winter because that's the dry season when there will be no cat1 cyclone grounding all boat trips to a halt.

Don't you reek of rotting dead ocean life when you come up?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

From you know... The rot

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

That you helped along a touch?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I took a helicopter from the reef platform to Port Douglas last year it owned.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Stop touching delicate parts of the world for fun, it's cunty and effects our lives

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Garbage party.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Yeast posted:

Garbage party.

It's not Labor's fault that this country loves to believe there are Islamic warships off our coast.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Is that why it was called the "barrier" reef in the first place? Because it was hard to do ships over?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

Is that why it was called the "barrier" reef in the first place? Because it was hard to do ships over?

It's because it's an outer reef on the sea shelf I think. Closer to shore they're called other kids of reef.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

starkebn posted:

What the actual gently caress? Locked up overnight so she could be a witness? Strip searched?

To be a witness against her abuser?

Cops loving HATE victims of abuse who dare to speak up.

After all, they're abusers themselves.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Saw this on the front page of the Weakened Australian.

Won't_Someone_Please_Think_of_The_Bigots.txt

(Quoted in full so no one had to go their lovely site)

quote:

Anthony Albanese’s team in warning on religious freedom

Anthony Albanese is under pressure from frontbench Labor MPs to “work constructively” with Scott Morrison to pass religious freedom legislation that enshrines the right of schools and charities to teach faith-based ideology, including the traditional view of marriage.

Senior Labor MPs yesterday warned that the swing against the party in faith-based communities — mainly in western Sydney seats — had galvanised support in the new Opposition Leader’s partyroom for new laws to protect ­religious institutions from being accused of discrimination.

The Labor push to bolster support for religious groups comes as Scott Morrison prepares to table a Religious Discrimination Act in parliament by the end of the year, acting on recommendations in the Ruddock Review into religious freedom.

During the election campaign, the Prime Minister said the new religious discrimination laws would provide the same protections of anti-discrimination for people of religious faith, as it did for “people of different genders, LGBTIQ, others”.

A senior Labor frontbencher said there were concerns among some religious schools and faiths that a government of either persuasion might decide to cut funding for a school or charity because they were teaching a traditional version of marriage.

“There is a view from some people that (protection) may not be required in law because it is ­already covered in the Racial ­Discrimination Act,” the senior Labor MP said. “Sometimes it is good, even if laws aren’t strictly necessary, for the sake of absolute certainty to put it in law.”

Labor MPs also attacked former ALP leader Bill Shorten over his criticism of Mr Morrison in the final week of the election campaign for not explicitly stating that he did not believe gay people would to hell. They described the tactic as a “very poorly timed intervention” that made it look as though “we were persecuting people, particularly Christians, and their beliefs”.

Senior frontbenchers Kristina Keneally, Tony Burke and ­Michelle Rowland yesterday added to warnings that people of faith were turning against Labor. Chris Bowen last week declared: “People of faith no longer feel that progressive politics cares about them.”

Senator Keneally, Labor’s new deputy leader in the upper house, savaged Labor’s campaign as being “tone deaf” to the concerns of religious people.

“We lost them on the more traditional, touchstone culture and social issues,” Senator Keneally said. “I think it is because we were tone deaf. If you take the issue of religious freedom, I see a growing concern of people of faith that in this Twitter world, the instant response world we live in, that they are going to be ganged up upon.

“The Israel Folau matter, which was frankly a contract issue, spoke to a broader concern people had, and understandably so, that in expressing their faith they are going to be howled down by other people in the community. The extent to which Labor wasn’t seen to be standing up for people of faith did hurt us.”

Mr Albanese said yesterday he was prepared to work with the Morrison government on the ­introduction of a religious discrimination bill.

“I’m certainly prepared to work cooperatively on issues which should not be the subject of partisan politics, and that includes that issue,” Mr Albanese said.

Mr Bowen told The Weekend Australian that anxieties within religious communities had contributed to Labor’s election loss.

The former Treasury spokesman, who suffered a 7.4 per cent primary vote swing against him in his western Sydney seat of ­McMahon, urged the Prime Minister to bring forward legislation on religious freedoms quickly so it could be considered by Labor.

“I think it is not actually any particular policy as such,” Mr Bowen said.

“I think it is a general impression which has built up as a result of various debates, including marriage equality but also religious freedom more generally.

“It is a very urgent problem for us to tackle. Partly by the way we look at policy but party by our general demeanour. It is the old saying people think you only care what you talk about.”

Mr Bowen said it was essential that Labor welcome social conservatives in its parliamentary ranks so the party could appeal to suburban voters.

“The Labor Party has a strong tradition of people who are socially conservative but economically progressive and we have got to make sure that tradition continues to be represented both in our party and our voters,” Mr Bowen said.

Ms Rowland, who represents the western Sydney seat of Greenway, said Labor had had a “very real” perception problem from some ­religious people during the campaign.

“I definitely detected there was a different sense during the campaign,” Ms Rowland said. “I rarely had religion raised as an issue in the three years prior. But doing phone calls and the type of engagement you do during the campaign it was certainly markedly different. There was a perception of a problem and for some people that was very real.”

Mr Burke, whose seat of Watson takes in prominent Muslim and Maronite communities including the Lakemba mosque, said Labor needed to “carefully work through” the reasons religious communities swung against the party.

“The vast majority of people of faith in my part of Sydney still voted Labor,” Mr Burke said. “But the government has been specifically targeting faith communities and there was a swing as a result.”

Victorian Labor MP Anthony Byrne, a social conservative, said the party was creating the perception that it did not welcome people of faith.

“We are creating a perception that for people of Christian and other faiths that the Labor Party doesn’t have a place for them on the table, doesn’t want to hear their views, doesn’t want to take their beliefs into account,” Mr Byrne said.

“I think that caused us substantial damage during the election campaign.”

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I think it is pretty clear now that Albanese's uncontested election came with conditions.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Looking forward to the test case when Woolies fires a Muslim staff member for throwing down a prayer rug in the staff break room a few times a day.

Religious freedom? This is a Judeo-Christian country mate!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Tried reading the local Murdoch rag again today while waiting for my coffee. Yeah nope it's worse than usual.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

The Australian says:

Cult of GetUp seeks meaning in a wasteland

quote:

An email from a crestfallen snowflake named Emily arrived in the inboxes of GetUp's supporters and stalkers late last week.

You know what, I'll be fine thanks.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Gridlocked posted:

Tried reading the local Murdoch rag again today while waiting for my coffee. Yeah nope it's worse than usual.

When I did year 12 English Language (VCE subject, equivalent of linguistics) we each got a free copy of the Herald Sun daily. Our teacher was stoked, because it was so full of examples of language being used to manipulate. Just lol if you read anything but the nine letter word unless you absolutely have to, though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

We used to deconstruct Bolt opinion pieces for the same reason.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's interesting how much of English in school was centred on letters and persuasive language.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Whitlam posted:

When I did year 12 English Language (VCE subject, equivalent of linguistics) we each got a free copy of the Herald Sun daily. Our teacher was stoked, because it was so full of examples of language being used to manipulate. Just lol if you read anything but the nine letter word unless you absolutely have to, though.

It's a big article on GO ADANI with former ALP member turned renegade Rockhampton Mayor Margaret Strelow, Deb Frecklington and Michelle Landry.

Then I'm the letters to the editor there's some old gently caress asking for us to prove climate change exists, Paul Murray slamming Albo and a bunch of idiots in the texts talking about how either Labor sucks or that if you have a truckie behind you on the highway you're obligated to speed up because they're doing their job and know how to drive better than you so sure do 150 it's fine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I call the cops when truck drivers try to run me off the road with that poo poo.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The whole thing is like this week long discussion on highway driving and speeding. So some bloke manages to galaxy brain everyone by saying don't speed on the highway it's dangerous unless you're holding up a truckie then you're committing a cardinal sin and must speed up to let them get places faster.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Our english teachers used to do this too, the phrase "appeal to hip-pocket" will never ever leave my head

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I appreciate the suggestion that the Greens model itself on the Democrat progressive caucus, noted for:
1) getting steamrolled during the Obama administration
2) getting ratfucked in the 2016 primaries

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What is Labor doing for the most persecuted group of them all? Gamers

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I have a few friends who game who voted LDP because they want legal vaping and cuts in durry taxes.

It's the start and finish of thier political vision.

I want nicotine and Videogames *clown meme*

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Just another sunny day in Boomerstan:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-03/albanese-frontbench-winners-and-losers/11172284

Half baked potato posted:

"Kristina Keneally I predict will be somebody who is very spiteful, very nasty and very personal in her attacks. That's been her history," he said, adding, "I'm not going to attack Kristina Keneally on a personal basis".
He went on to suggest she didn't have the balls required for the job.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-03/ato-whistleblower-facing-prison-says-he-almost-died-from-stress/11167954

Given the ATO has been rife with dodgey upper management bullshit for the better part of forever what better way to ensure transparency than cover the windows in the blood of informers?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-03/tokyo-sushi-bar-employees-underpaid-fair-work-ombudsman/11171994

Workers lucky not to be given the chop themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-03/chinese-warships-enter-sydney-harbour/11172578

Three Chinese warships have arrived in Sydney Harbour for a visit which was not publicly announced by the Government.

like... by surprise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

“People of faith no longer feel that progressive politics cares about them.”

Good