Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
For a while I thought you could sort of force yourself to be hungry by eating another corpse. It sounds like it doesn't work like that?

I stalled out after the luxurious memory and palest painting and now I'm going on expeditions in the hopes of finding more to work with. Is anyone further than me? If so, am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't want to be grinding for port noon anecdotes all day if I don't have to.

E: I checked reddit like a piece of poo poo and got a whole roadmap. Question answered.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Ragnar34 posted:

For a while I thought you could sort of force yourself to be hungry by eating another corpse. It sounds like it doesn't work like that?

If you mean downing another elixir when you have no marks, no, it’ll go into negatives instead. So if you say have 1 mark, then down an elixir, you’ll have 0, and the next season of ambition you’ll tick up to back up to 1, but if you down another one then the next season of ambition your dedication still won’t have any marks. This goes as far as I can tell as far as you do elixirs, so if you do a ton of elixirs at zero it could be a while before you get another mark.

Which wouldn’t be a problem except the marks are useful...

If you mean something else I’d love to hear it, I haven’t figured out a way to get around this myself.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I was thinking of how you can reactivate the ability to explore with your dedication. Itd be cool if you could reset it to 1 or 0 this way, but I doubt it works like that and it wouldn't make story sense anyway.

I really wish they'd either display that negative hunger number or, if they want to be nasty, never let it go below 0.

Overall I really like ghoul, though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

still not really sure what the marks are for, tbh, although i assume it will be related to ascension somehow

jjust want 2 be naenia's fellow-painting...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Man I am getting absofruitly rocked with Notoriety and Evidence as Priest. Leave me alone dude I'm just trying to talk to my flock about keys.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, even Weary Inspector can be a rival.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm always worried that the first time I talk to Weary Detective about a Watchman's Secret that he'll go rival on me instead of going Grim and turning into a free Dread generator for the rest of the game. Hasn't happened yet though.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Man I am getting absofruitly rocked with Notoriety and Evidence as Priest.

i thought they had special lawyers for that

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Speedball posted:

Apparently some conjurer of abominations needs a life-long nemesis hellbent on his destruction, and apparently no-one else can find the time.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Douglas rules. Sometimes I think of recruiting him, but I can't think of a better job for him than occasionally flubbing investigations.

At some point I want to see what happens when you pick up Douglas and then kill every other investigator.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i believe you get another douglas

douglases for all

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
What's the best way to recruit him? Talk about lore until he goes rival and then what?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

iirc you need to try and recruit him into your cult like any other acquaintance, only with 21 in your chosen cult aspect instead of 1

never tried it though; only ever tried to poison him

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wait what the gently caress, you can recruit detectives into your cult? How long have you been able to do that?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
For a long time it was only Douglas, I think patch before last allows you to recruit other detectives ONCE they become rivals. I don't think you can recruit while they are hunters.

For all rivals you need 21 instensity, and a Tool, which will be given to them and you will not get back. Paintings or other 8rank tools and a 14 rank lore will do the trick. I thiiiink how far advanced they are as your rival determines their power on recruitment, but not tested.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i believe you get another douglas

douglases for all

Can I get infinite douglii this way, do you think? Could be an interesting way to get sacrifices.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Priests get SOOOO many prisoners if you want them. And are a monster.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is the tool you give them the one that gets used in the initiation or can it be any tool?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Is the tool you give them the one that gets used in the initiation or can it be any tool?

It is the one you use in the initiation.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tylana posted:

Priests get SOOOO many prisoners if you want them. And are a monster.

Yeah my Dextrous Disciples have been canon fodder for my early expeditions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you start your cult with the Ghoul? I have Miss Naenia and some elixir, but I'm not sure what I need to do.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Eat of the graveyard fruit.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, to start your cult is same as usual. Speak to an acquaintance

For progressing. You have a recipe, Study it. While you might find older things that could be ingredients, you might need something fresher for the first sip.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whew, had a marathon session and completed the Ghoul ascension. It was quite an interesting trip, and I wasn't disappointed. I got really tripped up by some of the old ingredients being edible, and ESPECIALLY having Crucible being edible. I completed almost all the expeditions until I figured that out.

I'll save Priest for tomorrow.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

re: searching for takeaway as a ghoul, in the Shifting Sands - why the gently caress did i think "hmm Lagun-flakes, delicious" while leaving behind the literal mummified Long-flesh at Messana

e: bloody Dorothy just talked away my dinner!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 1, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

And rise with me forever
Above the shifting sands
And stars will be your eyes
And the wind will be your hands

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i beat this game on release, a year ago or whatever - are each of the roles different/interesting enough that i should just play the game standard again and then do the DLC or should i start with one of them?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i beat this game on release, a year ago or whatever - are each of the roles different/interesting enough that i should just play the game standard again and then do the DLC or should i start with one of them?

The basic victory is roughly the same. You get like a few paragraphs of text regarding how each of the temptation changes your character and a different victory card but that's about it. Just do the DLC legacies and apostle (NG+).

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

thanks to a slow weekend spent on call, i have now finished both Priest and Ghoul DLCs

summary: they are good. they are quite different from the base three ascensions, and occupy a difficulty niche somewhere between the base ones (inc. moth) and the newgame+ apostle legacies. think of them as newgame1.5 i guess, or if you want to be an rear end in a top hat you can think of the knock ascension as "asp-ostle"

priests get a shitload of money and ghouls get influence-based benefits (and a seemingly limitless amount of mystique), and the logical leaps required for victory are more than base game, less than apostles. for £2.50 each they are Good

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 2, 2019

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I changed my priest cult to knock and it gave me temptation: enlightenment. Have I locked myself out of the priest dedication, whatever that may be? I'm wondering if I should restart.

E: There has to be a purpose for all these all these dexterous believers that doesn't rhyme with Dider Spoor.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jun 3, 2019

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
No. it is just a temptation. Temptations are useful! You do not have to dedicate yourself or complete them.

EDIT : But, the priest's path is narrow and harsh. And selfless. If it is ever too hard, that Temptation is there for you, the player to decide.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Cop management has to be the hardest part of this game for me at this point. Money, dread and fascination I can handle, but when I lose, it's to too much notoriety in the early game. You can't really destroy evidence at that stage, so the best solution is painting, but Douglas keeps 360 noscoping my notoriety from out of a crowd of mystique and eventually arresting me directly rather than grabbing one of my people. I guess the odds are better for Doug than you think because he only has to get lucky once, while you have to get lucky every time.

Orikaeshigitae
Apr 28, 2006

never kiss a gun street girl again

Ragnar34 posted:

Cop management has to be the hardest part of this game for me at this point. Money, dread and fascination I can handle, but when I lose, it's to too much notoriety in the early game. You can't really destroy evidence at that stage, so the best solution is painting, but Douglas keeps 360 noscoping my notoriety from out of a crowd of mystique and eventually arresting me directly rather than grabbing one of my people. I guess the odds are better for Doug than you think because he only has to get lucky once, while you have to get lucky every time.

Have you tried talking to your disciples about what they can do for the cult?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

Remember if you have only one notoriety that you can just pick it up and hold it. The game can't 'steal' cards out of your 'hand,' and it will pick something else in place of the card you're holding. Cards will count down in your hand, too. Also, this includes dumb options, including Douglas himself (what investigator, there's no investigator, though this will create a second investigator) and evidence (woops, found this second notoriety but darnit, where did I put that *other* evidence of evil crimes)

I have literally never been downed by notoriety, including the NG+ where I got the Society Long enemy who at the end game started a scandal that produced 30 notoriety, one every sixty seconds (and might have gone on doing more, but I won. eat it, lady whoever you were.) Just gotta be better than Douglas at the shuffle.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

BlondRobin posted:

Remember if you have only one notoriety that you can just pick it up and hold it. The game can't 'steal' cards out of your 'hand,' and it will pick something else in place of the card you're holding. Cards will count down in your hand, too. Also, this includes dumb options, including Douglas himself (what investigator, there's no investigator, though this will create a second investigator) and evidence (woops, found this second notoriety but darnit, where did I put that *other* evidence of evil crimes)

I have literally never been downed by notoriety, including the NG+ where I got the Society Long enemy who at the end game started a scandal that produced 30 notoriety, one every sixty seconds (and might have gone on doing more, but I won. eat it, lady whoever you were.) Just gotta be better than Douglas at the shuffle.

Wow, that feels even more abusive of the engine than talking to Sulochana about that sweet dead body you "found"

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Wow, that feels even more abusive of the engine than talking to Sulochana about that sweet dead body you "found"

I'm pretty sure I learned all these tricks from this thread when someone posted like an interview or something with Weather Factory and they were all like "yes, it's all intentional, that is part of the game."

It's not like you can use this that decisively; it gives you more leeway, but if you haven't figured out how to manage these things it'll still bite you. It just gives you ways to play around a lot of the more otherwise completely RNG elements, like which reputation the investigator picks up.

It's not the difference between being able to literally ignore Dread or not, it's the difference between losing a run because you didn't remember every result for a specific action and forgot there was Dread in there and didn't spin up a Contentedness in preparation for possibly getting it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

holding onto a card so it can't get grabbed sounds weird and cheaty but i like to think of it as the player being extra guarded about a certain aspect of themselves and refusing to let it be examined, with the tradeoff being them focusing so much attention on it

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You're just carrying the body around with you in your car all day, barely managing to keep it out of Douglas's vision through wacky coincidences, like a Pink Panther movie. Your cultists drag the body through the door to find him standing there facing the other direction, so they frantically drag it back out just before he turns around, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ha, I completely forgot that trick. I'll just pretend my character wore a fake mustache that day, or pretended not to he home when the subpoena was delivered, or noticed the gold fringe on the flag during a hearing.

Or whatever the equivalent is when you're dealing with the dream police. Man, am I lame for wanting to know more about the beurocratic process with that?