Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Hit me for a Spiderman themed 6 please, 'terra.

I mean, if you insist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I've tasted plenty of blood and plenty of metal. Yet I've never tasted radiation...

the forbidden fruit...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

esperterra posted:

I mean, if you insist.

Be careful what you wish for :xd:

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Apparently the 'smell' that coins and nails and stuff give off isn't the metal, but a product of sweat and skin oils reacting to the metal and breaking down (https://www.livescience.com/4233-coins-smell.html), maybe the taste is something similar happening to saliva inside your mouth because tiny bullets

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 2, 2019

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

I've tasted plenty of blood and plenty of metal. Yet I've never tasted radiation...

the forbidden fruit...

The banana.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Wallrod posted:

Apparently the 'smell' that coins and nails and stuff give off isn't the metal, but a product of sweat and skin oils reacting to the metal and breaking down (https://www.livescience.com/4233-coins-smell.html), maybe the taste is something similar happening to saliva inside your mouth because tiny bullets

So it's something like the pool chlorine piss smell? That's cool. I wonder how many other smells are actually the smell of our bodies reacting with stuff

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

font color sea posted:

So it's something like the pool chlorine piss smell? That's cool. I wonder how many other smells are actually the smell of our bodies reacting with stuff

Since our sense of smell is entirely based on chemical reactions of foreign particles hooking into various receptors, technically all smells are our bodies reacting with stuff.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

There is no way of detecting anything without interacting with it in some way.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
:2bong:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Chew on some aluminum foil if you really want to taste metal.

Something I learned this week is that aluminum cans have a flimsy thin layer of plastic on the inside to prevent the tasty beverage from tasting like metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagzNomxTYg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

cilantro tastes the same as radiation...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

cilantro tastes the same as radiation...

You need to sit by the reactor some more to fix your broken genes.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

clown shoes posted:

Chew on some aluminum foil if you really want to taste metal.

Something I learned this week is that aluminum cans have a flimsy thin layer of plastic on the inside to prevent the tasty beverage from tasting like metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagzNomxTYg

Yet Coke from a can tastes infinitely better than from any kind of plastic bottle. What?

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

TigerXtrm posted:

Yet Coke from a can tastes infinitely better than from any kind of plastic bottle. What?

They line the plastic bottles with can metal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Have you actually done a proper double blind taste test?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

This is a very, very good show. Weirdly it's most entertaining when one of the main cast is onscreen and as such less terrifying, but otherwise it's some loving edge-of-your-seat stuff. Holy moly radiation is scary.

I vaguely remember learning about α/ß/Γ radiation back in school and something about the glow in the dark bits in wrist watches used to use (mildly) radioactive paint that was all about alpha radiation and as such too weak to even get through the glass cover of the watch. But I also remember similar paint being used for iron sights on guns and a story about some women who painted them for years and years and died of cancer not only out of exposure but ingestion, since they would lick the tips of the paint brushes to paint the sights more accurately. Hazy memory and all though so feel free to correct me here.

I was two years old when Chernobyl went down so I don't remember anything but heard later that, living in Finland, there was quite a boom for iodine tablets and people chomping down on them around that time. Later on me and my friends would crack Chernobyl/mutation jokes a-plenty when I was a kid.

Also I knew the director looked familiar to me and was blown away that he's the Stakka Bo guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooi5aOeQ75w

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stare-Out posted:

I vaguely remember learning about α/ß/Γ radiation back in school and something about the glow in the dark bits in wrist watches used to use (mildly) radioactive paint that was all about alpha radiation and as such too weak to even get through the glass cover of the watch. But I also remember similar paint being used for iron sights on guns and a story about some women who painted them for years and years and died of cancer not only out of exposure but ingestion, since they would lick the tips of the paint brushes to paint the sights more accurately. Hazy memory and all though so feel free to correct me here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooi5aOeQ75w

Watchfaces (these days) use tritium. Gun sights and watches pre 1950s were lit with radium paint. You're thinking of the Radium Girls

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yes, thank you!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Stakka Bo's (Johan Renck) best song is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGNK-cOtxSs

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Back when I was a kid and had to go through cancer treatment there was a test they used to run to look for metastases. They’d inject me with a radioactive gallium isotope and then slowly run a detector over me to scan my whole body.

During the injection process I remember a tray with a valve that let you switch between a small tube with the radioactive sign on it and a syringe full of saline. They’d switch the valve between the gallium to the saline to flush it in.

As soon as it hit my veins within seconds I could taste metal.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Kraftwerk posted:

Back when I was a kid and had to go through cancer treatment there was a test they used to run to look for metastases. They’d inject me with a radioactive gallium isotope and then slowly run a detector over me to scan my whole body.

During the injection process I remember a tray with a valve that let you switch between a small tube with the radioactive sign on it and a syringe full of saline. They’d switch the valve between the gallium to the saline to flush it in.

As soon as it hit my veins within seconds I could taste metal.

This is insanely cool and also just loving insane. I don't think I wrapped my head around quite how wild it is that we use nuclear energy and radiation for so much stuff.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Xanderkish posted:

This is insanely cool and also just loving insane. I don't think I wrapped my head around quite how wild it is that we use nuclear energy and radiation for so much stuff.
Radioquackery was a big thing in the early part of the 20th Century.

I think it was around 1920/1930 that it was at its peak, with a huge range of products sold on the open market that were radioactive (often dangerously so) with the idea that it was beneficial to health.

The Revigator is possibly one of the most famous - a water urn used to decant water for drinking that was lined with radium.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

CainFortea posted:

Have you actually done a proper double blind taste test?

No, but that is an interesting thing to try at some point.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

GazChap posted:

I think it was around 1920/1930 that it was at its peak, with a huge range of products sold on the open market that were radioactive (often dangerously so) with the idea that it was beneficial to health.

The Revigator is possibly one of the most famous - a water urn used to decant water for drinking that was lined with radium.

I'd argue that Radithor is more infamous, since that was the water Eben Byers drank before the radiation killed him.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GazChap posted:

Don't forget the radium baths!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'd argue that Radithor is more infamous, since that was the water Eben Byers drank before the radiation killed him.

The guy who sold him the radium water later went on to sell radioactive paperweights. I can't find any adverts for those, so I have no idea why one would want one.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 2, 2019

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Even up to the 50's/60's, my parents will talk sometimes about how some shoe stores had x-ray scopes that let you check how well your child's shoes fit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Reminds me of people going wild for X-Rays in The Knick. I'm sure there's some truth to people overusing it for kicks and wound up loving themselves up as a result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XTS7XOUT80

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bakanogami posted:

Even up to the 50's/60's, my parents will talk sometimes about how some shoe stores had x-ray scopes that let you check how well your child's shoes fit.

fun fact! many of those shoe salesmen loving died of diseases stemming from too much radiation

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Al Bundy No!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Just watching the first episode. I'm sure glad that superiors dismissing first hand accounts in a blasé fashion always was and always will be a thing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1QF-LSwuQ

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bakanogami posted:

What the everliving gently caress :wtc:

I'm always amazed by all the bizarre ways that leaded gasoline used to affect society.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Opferwurst posted:

I'm always amazed by all the bizarre ways that leaded gasoline used to affect society.

"Used to"

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Opferwurst posted:

But at least the leaded gasoline was protecting us from radiation!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

GazChap posted:

I've actually got a bunch of 30's to 60's era Vaseline glass. Everything from plates and glasses to a "radar range" casserole dish. When people come over I let them use the blue/purple lasers I have to shine the glass and watch it glow

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just watching the first episode. I'm sure glad that superiors dismissing first hand accounts in a blasé fashion always was and always will be a thing.
And it keeps going on and on into the second episode. Oh god this makes me so mad.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Combat Pretzel posted:

And it keeps going on and on into the second episode. Oh god this makes me so mad.

Haha, best get some boxing gloves cause there's more to come

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This is a good joke and I hope we can steal it: :ohdear:

SeXReX posted:

based on the podcast it sounds like he's just leaving the sarcophagus out of the story because it isn't all that compelling. next episode looks like it'll be Law and Order, Radioactive Victims Unit

e. Law and Order μSv