Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

weekly font posted:

I watched Mark Dacascos in Drive last night and it’s like the asylum films version of Rush Hour. Like somebody could emulate the shots from Jackie Chan movies but understand literally nothing else about what makes them entertaining.

That's a good way of describing it. Especially since they came out close together so it's like one of those situations where a studio like Asylum pre-empts a big Hollywood film with their own version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

the final boss of 4 should be jason statham

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I paid a few bucks to rent Undisputed III and Boyka just for Adkins and they were definitely worth it. Also Accident Man.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just saw this, amazing watch.
Very flawed in parts, but them just going 100% into the cookooland level of realism worked fine for me. 1 is still the best one but 2's mix between grounded and crazy worked way less for me than this just going bonkers. Didn't expect the winston betrayal though I do suspect he did that for show, just unsure if John was in on it or not.
Expected more Barry from the marketing, but she delivered her parts and owned. Bring her back for 4's gently caress the system arc imo.

Also I'm so happy for Jason Mantzoukas, he always wanted to be part of some big action movie and now he is!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I saw JW3 yesterday, loved it to bits. It was funny to hear the audience collectively groaning all the way through the opening fight sequences.

It's the first time I'd seen Mark Dacascos and he was such a treat. Got a kick out of how he'd switch between Gruff Tough Ninja and "omgomgomg I'm sitting next to John Wick!!!" when no-one was looking.

R.e. the discussion about John Wick vs the Continental at the end - if the comic book is canon, Wick and Charon have prior history, as well as the former saving the latter from armed robbery by a bunch of Mexican(?) gangsters and in return being introduced to the Continental system. Adding weight to the "Wick and Winston in cahoots" position.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Dacascos sitting right next to Wick in the continental waiting area is my second favorite comedy bit in the John Wick films, behind Viggo's deadpan "Oh..." when he learns that it was John Wick's car at the chop shop.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Another classic was his confrontation with the priest in 1. "Viggo will kill me!" "Uh huh."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsTq3hgvhWY

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Dog training for John Wick 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0zacIr1Y34&app=desktop

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cheap Trick posted:

It's the first time I'd seen Mark Dacascos and he was such a treat. Got a kick out of how he'd switch between Gruff Tough Ninja and "omgomgomg I'm sitting next to John Wick!!!" when no-one was looking.

Mark was so goddamned happy to be working on the film, he was already a big fan of the first two films and he signed on as soon as the offer came up before he'd even had a chance to read the script. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQDps6x5dM0&t=260s

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Mark Dacascos leaning into how inherently silly his “sushi chef and also ninja master” role is makes it work. “John Wick! I’m so happy to meet you! Also I am you! Also no-one can kill you but me! Also I’m gonna send all my students against you!”

I also like how they explicitly acknowledge that all three movies have taken place over, like, a couple weeks.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dacascos saying “Zero loving John Wick and idolizing him and respecting him was easy to play because that’s how I feel about Keanu IRL” is like the most heartwarming thing I’ve think I’ve ever heard out of a Hollywood actor.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh I also like the part where he just gets up and stands facing the wall to chameleon and hide from Zero

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh I also like the part where he just gets up and stands facing the wall to chameleon and hide from Zero

The attack on the ballet school being filmed like a really violent musical and stage play was one of the many instances of the film executing a pretty basic plot beat with so much style that it becomes an amazing scene.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Movie was good - better than 2, not quite as good as 1. Fleshing out the setting a bit more was cool, though the stuff with the Elder felt really out of sync and didn't even really make narrative sense. The intro sequence was great, and the throwing knife bit got some big theater reactions.

I do have to say that the fight choreography felt noticeably weaker this time, for some reason. It was way more static - especially in the scene with Halle Berry, and there were a few spots where Keanu looked a little more winded that he was probably intended to. There were also a surprising number of times where the choreography slipped and someone that had any easy opportunity to kill Wick just kinda...didn't, or even obviously pulled back or did some pointless flourish while they waited for him to finish beating the poo poo of their buddy. Still excellent stuff overall, especially how for insanely complex some of the longer shots were.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been enjoying these movies, watched them for the first time on Sunday night then went to see the third one yesterday, and a lot of aspects of it make me think of videogame logic, like when Wick was getting the guns and suits in 2 by just going to different floors of the Continental I was just thinking "This is a hub area. We are seeing John go through character customisation menus and picking his loadout for the mission..." then the scene in the third one with the Knife throwing fight just made me think Wick was doing that thing in games with limited ammo where you juse keep running back to the ammo box to refill in the middle of a boss fight.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been enjoying these movies, watched them for the first time on Sunday night then went to see the third one yesterday, and a lot of aspects of it make me think of videogame logic, like when Wick was getting the guns and suits in 2 by just going to different floors of the Continental I was just thinking "This is a hub area. We are seeing John go through character customisation menus and picking his loadout for the mission..." then the scene in the third one with the Knife throwing fight just made me think Wick was doing that thing in games with limited ammo where you juse keep running back to the ammo box to refill in the middle of a boss fight.

This one had a lot of bits that were either amazing coincidences or deliberate homages to Hitman and Assassin’s Creed.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I was rewatching some parts of John Wick 2, particularly the ending scene with John and Winston in the park, and I was reminded that Winston gives John a marker. I originally thought it was the marker he uses with Sofie in Morocco, but that's a second marker that he takes out of the Russian book at the beginning. So that marker is definitely being used in 4, unless it's a red herring.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I thought it was santino’s completed marker?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Pussy Quipped posted:

I thought it was santino’s completed marker?

Winston doesn't specify. For all we know, it could be a marker for Winston owing John a favor from way back when.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Could also be a blank one too.

Single Tight Female
Jan 17, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been enjoying these movies, watched them for the first time on Sunday night then went to see the third one yesterday, and a lot of aspects of it make me think of videogame logic

IIRC John explicitly takes various abilites from Zero's mooks after defeating them. There's the guy in the train station who can teleport when behind something who John kills and immediately uses the ability himself, as well as the guy who disappears into shadows during the attack on the Bowery(?) that I think John defeats before he can do the same in the Zero fight*.

To the first spoiler as well, I like that Zero is impressed by it and appears to train himself offscreen to do the same.

*been a while since I saw it, it'll probably turn out that was Rahman or Ruhian

Also since it's uncredited but got me pumped immediately, the leader of the gang in the first attack is Fiendish Dr. Wu from Black Dynamite!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Single Tight Female posted:

Also since it's uncredited but got me pumped immediately, the leader of the gang in the first attack is Fiendish Dr. Wu from Black Dynamite!

The film is full of 'hey, it's that guy!' moments.

I just love that, if you grabbed Dacascos and Anjelica Huston at any prior points in their careers and told them 'you, Marc Dacascos, star of Kickboxer 5, will one day stab you, Oscar winning actress Anjelica Huston through the hands in the middle of a musical scene about ninjas' both would really struggle to imagine how their careers got to that point, and be delighted by the result.

One of the things we have to thank Spielberg for is that, thanks to him, what would once have been b-movies with no talent or money attached have become things that really good actors gleefully act in.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Finally saw it yesterday, with a packed audience of fans. A lot of audible reactions during the fights, which made the whole thing so much better. Asia Kate Dillon was great, they're a great addition to the cast.

Definitely felt like it sagged a bit in the middle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven’t seen a single kind word said about the scenes in the desert, pretty commonly viewed as a mole on an otherwise perfect buttcheek

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked the Morocco and desert Elder scene. Yes, it's me. The one who sees value in it. Please don't ask me to actually spend time compiling my thoughts into rational explanation...right now it just feels right...

The thing I didn't feel good about was the quick flip of purpose after that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
90% of Morocco is the Halle Berry stuff, which was great. The scene where he's wandering the desert and then meets the Elder is like 10 minutes, hardly anything I think is worth complaining about.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

The desert/prince of the bad guys was the slowest part, and made the least amount of sense plot wise to me. If they make Berrada not a complete douche, and he's the one that convinces John to go back to New York and kill Winston, you cut some of the pointless scenes in the desert and don't have to worry about shoehorning in the elder.

It was almost like that whole sequence was to justify using the dogs.

"Hey guys, I know this dog trainer and he's free next weekend. Should we call him?"

"Well, we don't really have a place for them, but maybe. Is he in the US?"

"No, he's in Morocco."

"Well, that's kinda out of the way for us..."

"Oh, I already told him we were coming..."

"Okay, I guess we don't want to make it weird. We'll write something on the way."

Don't get me wrong, the sequence with Halle Barry and the dogs was cool, but didn't serve the story much. It also kinda wastes The Director, who could have had a much more interesting role in the story other than just "horrible mother figure, and segue to Casablanca."

Knight2m fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 8, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I misspoke, the Halle Berry Morocco scenes are good and Wick getting out of the city again was good for the movie.

The walking through the desert/bedouin tent poo poo is loving mega-bogus

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm hoping it pays off when the final scene of JW4 after he's murdered all the high table is him showing up there to get his ring back. Or something. They seem to be good at set ups and payoffs over multiple movies.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Lmao how is Halle Berry in her 50s, what a racket they clearly just brought in a younger lookalike.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Celebrities have access to nutritional information and skin care that we won’t see for literal decades.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Celebrities have access to nutritional information and skin care that we won’t see for literal decades.

Halle Berry follows a keto diet apparently. I'd guess in combination with intermittent fasting. I did strict keto (< 15 carbs a day) for like a year and had pretty insane results; I looked and felt better than I ever had sticking to it. Strict keto isn't sustainable though, imo. Carb cycling is where it's at.

[edit] vvv If I were rich enough and had a personal chef, keto would be way easier lol; steak with compound butter and grilled vegetables everyday would be so easy for me hah.

teagone fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 8, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Keto is viable in the sense that it works, but not in the sense that it’s extremely difficult to maintain, and depending on where you live it can be prohibitively expensive.

If you’re at her level where you have personal trainers with fitness regimens on the calendar and private chefs and catering and you don’t have to think about it... it’s probably still pretty hard. I loving love potatoes.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I think I read somewhere that the entire desert/elder sequence exists because Keanu had a dream/idea of John wick wandering through a desert in a suit and the director said hell yeah let’s do it.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

I loved Halle Berry and the dogs, but there was a distinct difference in audience reactions between the 30 minutes, the middle and the last 30 minutes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

I think I read somewhere that the entire desert/elder sequence exists because Keanu had a dream/idea of John wick wandering through a desert in a suit and the director said hell yeah let’s do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbtcYPgoBLM

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Thing is, you can't have a conspiracy without an Old Man of the Desert. Preposterous. Can't be done

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Basebf555 posted:

90% of Morocco is the Halle Berry stuff, which was great. The scene where he's wandering the desert and then meets the Elder is like 10 minutes, hardly anything I think is worth complaining about.

For real, I'm honestly baffled at the reaction to the desert parts of the movie, you'd think it was Electroma or loving Gerry or something. John shows up, fights some dudes, talks to Halle Berry, meets a new guy, badass action sequence with dogs and guns, John meets the Elder, then goes right back to New York where he gets into a motorcycle sword fight. What is the god drat problem?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I enjoyed the Elder scene because it veers the worldbuilding into "videogame" style lore and plays it serious. I love it. It's totally absurd that the one guy above the High Table is just out there in the middle of the desert, and then when we meet him, he goes on a small exposition dump detailing the Persian/Syrian origin of assassins lol. It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I think I just expected him to be older. But maybe he’s just an ageless immortal being?