Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Cartoon Man posted:

I like guru Larry, outsidexbox, and the AVGNerd, fight me! :saddowns:

I would but I'm not sure it'd be a very fair fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

The first video I saw of Nostalgia Critic was the one where he filmed himself quitting his dayjob and it was annoying as hell and I hated him from day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

Nobody cares about you dude, just leave.

If I saw that in a workplace I'd probably initially think the place was going to get shot up or something horrible but that's the just times we live in i supppose

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

I like guru Larry, outsidexbox, and the AVGNerd, fight me! :saddowns:
お前はもう死んでいる。

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

The first video I saw of Nostalgia Critic was the one where he filmed himself quitting his dayjob and it was annoying as hell and I hated him from day one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ-Sy11mvZU

Nobody cares about you dude, just leave.

Yea, what an arrogant rear end in a top hat. I'm sure his coworkers enjoyed his grandstanding. They were probably glad he was gone.

If anyone is craving 90s style adventure games, i'd highly recommend Kathy Rain on Steam. It's also set in the 90s so its fits with the threads content as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, what an arrogant rear end in a top hat. I'm sure his coworkers enjoyed his grandstanding. They were probably glad he was gone.

If anyone is craving 90s style adventure games, i'd highly recommend Kathy Rain on Steam. It's also set in the 90s so its fits with the threads content as well.

It is also currently 80% off in the GoG spring sale.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://youtu.be/o98LqNhNIqI

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is also currently 80% off in the GoG spring sale.

Nice. Something I like about modern games set in the 90s is you actually have computers that seem realistic. There's a neat part of Kathy Rain where you have to social engineer the admin password out of someone.

Also Kathy Rain looks like the characters I always create in customizers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

i'm your huckleberry

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Found this among my things once again:

Got it in ~98.

Oh yeah.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I still listen to the Quake 2 soundtrack because the game disc doubled as a music CD.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

I still listen to the Quake 2 soundtrack because the game disc doubled as a music CD.

That was a weird think in the 90s, I am pretty sure Quake 1 was the first game I remember having that. Though was using the CD for the sound better than having sound files?

If we ever make an early 2000s thread, my first complaint will be soundpacks in online games. Yes I need to hear "I think my heart just stopped" every time I die in TF.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

twistedmentat posted:

Though was using the CD for the sound better than having sound files?

Music tracks will be CD-quality and you can just set them playing automatically without any assistance from the computer. Files would have taken processing time to play, and would have sounded like crap on a typical early-90s sound card.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Mu Zeta posted:

Lindsay Ellis was the best thing to come out of that debacle.

Her videos are legit really good breakdowns and media analysis. Her and Todd are basically the only good things attached to that entire mess.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That was a weird think in the 90s, I am pretty sure Quake 1 was the first game I remember having that. Though was using the CD for the sound better than having sound files?

If we ever make an early 2000s thread, my first complaint will be soundpacks in online games. Yes I need to hear "I think my heart just stopped" every time I die in TF.

It was at about that same time that an AOL trial CD doubled as a MAD Magazine music CD. I am assuming this came with an issue of the magazine (I was a MAD subscriber) and not just sent out unsolicited. I still have it somewhere. Tracks I remember are "It's a Gas," "Barely Alive" and Green Jelly's "Blind Date."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

Though was using the CD for the sound better than having sound files?

Kinda. Being able to fit ≈650MB per disc instead of 1.44 was a pretty drat big jump. Games didn't immediately balloon in size to match, so they started exploring other ways to fill the space, which led to both crappy FMV games and Redbook audio. For the most part, game data loaded from the CD would reside in memory during actual gameplay (as reading from a CD is much slower), so the disc drive would basically be doing nothing until it had to load a new level or whatever. So it made sense to have the game tell the drive "play track 8" to give it something to do in the meantime, while also reaping the benefits of the best audio available at the time (losing some interactivity in the process).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nutsngum posted:

Her videos are legit really good breakdowns and media analysis. Her and Todd are basically the only good things attached to that entire mess.

She spent $20,000 making her 3 videos about The Hobbit and she was nominated for a Hugo award. Hope she wins.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I used to watch this religiously when it aired, I really don't remember the animation of "Dev Null" being this janky and garbage though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuRPNs3jTJ8

Dev was supposed to have been voiced by Leo Laporte.

Edit: It was so, so very bad. I didn't know any better and I thought it was great when I was like 15 years old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjYN_EuO13Q

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 06:48 on Jun 4, 2019

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I first played the shareware version of Quake from a CD that came with Metal Hammer magazine. I didn't actually play the CD since I wasn't particularly into metal (my brother bought the magazine), so I thought the music was just part of the game and it blew my mind that Quake had such high quality music. Took me a couple of days to realise what was going on.

Also that introduced me to Type O Negative, Corrosion of Conformity and that bizarre techno metal album that Moby did.

edit: found it: https://www.discogs.com/Various-Brutal-Bunch-3/release/3029088
Some killer tracks on there. That's the unplugged version of Alice In Chains - Down In A Hole, which explains why it was on a cover disc in 1996.

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Jun 4, 2019

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I definitely used to try out every PS1 disc that I had in my CD player, though I only remember a few of them working. Sometimes it'd just be in-game sound files, sometimes you'd get lucky and a game like Street Sk8r would have the full soundtrack available to listen to.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I used to do the opposite: try out every music CD in my CD-ROM drive. Like 1 out of 25 times you'd get lucky and find a copy of a music video or some desktop backgrounds on there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I used to do both! Hard to believe I had the time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's neat, and yea I was thinking about how most games on CDrom didn't actually fill the disk early on so there was a lot wasted space. Plus having the music as audio tracks was probably easier to stream while playing the game. Though didn't most games at the time load everything on your hd then just use the cd as copy protect?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

twistedmentat posted:

That's neat, and yea I was thinking about how most games on CDrom didn't actually fill the disk early on so there was a lot wasted space. Plus having the music as audio tracks was probably easier to stream while playing the game. Though didn't most games at the time load everything on your hd then just use the cd as copy protect?

On PC yes, but obviously not on consoles until a while later.

There were also some early examples of pre-MP3 recorded music that didn't rely on CD tracks, like Command & Conquer. I'm guessing part of the motivation there was to leave more room for FMVs. The audio quality definitely suffered though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The 90's was a time when Monster Rancher was a cool game for the PS1 and my friend and I exhausted like 300+ CDs with both of our collections.

Looking back, it was not a cool game and my friend and I were super dorks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

The 90's was a time when Monster Rancher was a cool game for the PS1 and my friend and I exhausted like 300+ CDs with both of our collections.

Looking back, it was not a cool game and my friend and I were super dorks.

it was a cool idea though

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I played monster rancher 1 and 2 a lot, they were great games imo

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/lisafoiles/status/1135998434626772994?s=21

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That window of time when you'd open a new CD and an Earthlink or Prodigy ISP card would fall out.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Seeing Sweevo's avatar reminded me that Ninjas & Superspies, along with other Palladium RPGs, were some very 90s things.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I remember the third Barenaked Ladies album had a special enhanced edition with a ton of video clips and interactive doodads on it. You couldn’t just watch them all, you’d hit the button and it would play a random one. No idea how many there were, or if I even saw them all. Felt so loving cool at the time though, putting the CD in the computer and getting this.

Flatmate sent me a text later, mock furious, because he lost an entire evening to pissing about with it and he wasn’t even into their music.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Aqua's second album had a little mini game where you had to pilot a submarine and shoot a giant octopus!! I forgot all about that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
The original Gorrilaz album had that too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parkingtigers posted:

I remember the third Barenaked Ladies album had a special enhanced edition with a ton of video clips and interactive doodads on it. You couldn’t just watch them all, you’d hit the button and it would play a random one. No idea how many there were, or if I even saw them all. Felt so loving cool at the time though, putting the CD in the computer and getting this.

Flatmate sent me a text later, mock furious, because he lost an entire evening to pissing about with it and he wasn’t even into their music.

I never had it personally, but I know Primus's Tales from the Punchbowl had an enhanced edition where you could sail around the Punchbowl, and do things like visit the Del Davis Tree Farm.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
my uncle actually purchased a standalone HORDE festival cd-rom

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

mactheknife posted:

my uncle actually purchased a standalone HORDE festival cd-rom

I had The Horde starring Kirk Cameron on the Saturn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHBnQTSbOo.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I never had it personally, but I know Primus's Tales from the Punchbowl had an enhanced edition where you could sail around the Punchbowl, and do things like visit the Del Davis Tree Farm.

I had that CD, but my old busted-rear end 386 Dell with 4 megs of RAM couldn't access it.

So jealous of my little brother's 486.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Was having a discussion and got Surf Ninjas mixed up with 3 Ninjas and that led to this trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLWmFpEouI

It belongs here.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a Tea Party ep cd that has a ton of cool vids about instruments and such. Where I learned what a Hurdygurdy was, though they said it was from India.

It won't play on a modern system, and every thing is in real media format.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

twistedmentat posted:

I have a Tea Party ep cd that has a ton of cool vids about instruments and such. Where I learned what a Hurdygurdy was, though they said it was from India.

It won't play on a modern system, and every thing is in real media format.

A lot of old "CD ROM Magazines" are like this. Tons and tons of content forever lost into the void of unsupported ancient quicktime hell. Even if you can get them to play on an old computer with old Mac OS or Windows 9x it seems to be outright impossible to convert them to any newer format.

I've mentioned this before but I would get these Launch Magazine CDs in the mail.

That's a very, very 90s thing. Sending content (especially videos) in the mail because the internet was too drat slow to watch them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_Media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My first computer came with a Launch disc. It had music videos for Matchbox 20's "Push" and the Chumbawumba song. I also remember it had a little comedy routine by Robin Williams. He even did a joke about what he would sound like if you had a slow CD drive so he did the same jokes while stuttering every few seconds.