Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Israel hate Iran so much? Light reading suggests they had good relations before 79? Is it just transitive hostility inhereted from America's conflict with the Islamic Republic, or is there some special factor in Israel's domestic politics causing this?
Regional power rival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Israel hate Iran so much? Light reading suggests they had good relations before 79? Is it just transitive hostility inherited from America's conflict with the Islamic Republic, or is there some special factor in Israel's domestic politics causing this? I wasn't aware of Iran itself caring all that much about the Palestinians, although unsurprisingly Israel seems to claim Iran funds Hamas

I don't think either one really has all that much practical care about the other one, but find each-other very useful as scaremonger anger effigies for all sorts of purposes.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
iran hates israel

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Israel hate Iran so much? Light reading suggests they had good relations before 79? Is it just transitive hostility inherited from America's conflict with the Islamic Republic, or is there some special factor in Israel's domestic politics causing this? I wasn't aware of Iran itself caring all that much about the Palestinians, although unsurprisingly Israel seems to claim Iran funds Hamas

The hostility only really got going in the 90s. The end of the Cold War left a bit of a power vacuum in the Middle East, which the biggest regional powers -(Iran and Israel) were both eager to fill, so they naturally clashed.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Until Bibi comes out and says "Hitler was right" I am still going to say most Israelis aren't okay with Hitler.

Does it count if he said "Hitler was right until the filthy evil subhuman Palestinians gave him the idea of the Holocaust"? Because he said that.

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Israel hate Iran so much?

The other countries Israel hates (Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Jordan) have either been completely destroyed or mollified into subservience. Iran alone remains.

Anyways:
https://twitter.com/Charles1045/status/1127838884619063297

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Happily this will probably fail, The one thing that unites left and right at the moment here is hating Bibi with a passion.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

By popular demand posted:

Happily this will probably fail, The one thing that unites left and right at the moment here is hating Bibi with a passion.

That explains why he (ok, his party) keeps getting elected.

Bibisitter Ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmac71R5Br8

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Does it count if he said "Hitler was right until the filthy evil subhuman Palestinians gave him the idea of the Holocaust"? Because he said that.

The other countries Israel hates (Iraq, Syria, Egypt, Jordan) have either been completely destroyed or mollified into subservience. Iran alone remains.

Anyways:
https://twitter.com/Charles1045/status/1127838884619063297

"no corruption here officer. Now if you excuse me I gotta rig the courts so they can't remove my immunity from prosecution"

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

icantfindaname posted:

Why does Israel hate Iran so much? Light reading suggests they had good relations before 79?

Until 79, Iran was ruled by a literal monarch the CIA helped usurp their former democratic government.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
What are the chances that Bibi actually fails to form a coalition? The cynical parts of my brain tell me that there's very little chance that the disagreements between the secular and haredi parties are actually strong enough to drive things back to elections for another go, and that I shouldn't look forward to a failed coalition because it'll probably somehow turn out even better for Likud. But my heart tells me it'd be hilarious to see Bibi on the campaign trail, again, especially now that Likud has jumped the gun and introduced his immunity bill already.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Main Paineframe posted:

What are the chances that Bibi actually fails to form a coalition? The cynical parts of my brain tell me that there's very little chance that the disagreements between the secular and haredi parties are actually strong enough to drive things back to elections for another go, and that I shouldn't look forward to a failed coalition because it'll probably somehow turn out even better for Likud. But my heart tells me it'd be hilarious to see Bibi on the campaign trail, again, especially now that Likud has jumped the gun and introduced his immunity bill already.

I thought he had a coalition of 60. I don't even know what happens then.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

On the Strongly-anti-buying-off-the-religious-parties side there's only Blue and White and Yisrael Beitenu which only add up to 40 seats, it's much more likely that we'll get another unstable right wing collection of small religious parties.
You'll notice I didn't include the Arab parties as the Overton window has moved way beyond them getting in a coalition.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

You'll notice I didn't include the Arab parties as the Overton window has moved way beyond them getting in a coalition.
I think that window has passed in 1948? I'm not going to cheat by googling, but I'm pretty sure no Arab parties (as opposed to individual MKs) were ever part of the governing coalition.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Sure but we could at least delude ourselves about that in the nineties.
I miss self-delusion.:smithcloud:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

I thought he had a coalition of 60. I don't even know what happens then.

A coalition of 60 isn't a majority coalition - it's exactly half of the Knesset's 120 seats. While theoretically possible, it would be the weakest governing coalition in Israeli history, and even the parties that have signed onto the coalition so far don't seem thrilled about that idea. Unless Netanyahu can win over Avigdor Lieberman and his five seats by Wednesday, it's likely that things are going back to elections.

Some of the far-right parties are holding out on Bibi. The haredi parties are feuding with Yisrael Beiteinu over a haredi draft reform bill - the haredi are demanding that it be weakened, while Lieberman insists that it be passed in its current state. Lieberman is refusing to compromise, and he's refusing to join the coalition until his demands are met.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Main Paineframe posted:

A coalition of 60 isn't a majority coalition - it's exactly half of the Knesset's 120 seats. While theoretically possible, it would be the weakest governing coalition in Israeli history, and even the parties that have signed onto the coalition so far don't seem thrilled about that idea. Unless Netanyahu can win over Avigdor Lieberman and his five seats by Wednesday, it's likely that things are going back to elections.

Some of the far-right parties are holding out on Bibi. The haredi parties are feuding with Yisrael Beiteinu over a haredi draft reform bill - the haredi are demanding that it be weakened, while Lieberman insists that it be passed in its current state. Lieberman is refusing to compromise, and he's refusing to join the coalition until his demands are met.

I know that lieberman is the swing to go over 60, I was wondering what happens if they try to pass laws with 60? Surely you need a majority so a coalition of 60 can't govern at all.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Main Paineframe posted:

Man, if that poor bastard actually manages to accomplish something useful at the very twilight of his political career.

The man who briefly led the second largest party in the Knesset and probably thought he's going to be the next PM now looks like he won't make it past the threshold in the next election. And if he manages to sink Bibi's government while looking for any sort of solution, that would probably be the most brilliant thing possible.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Apparently things are going to a second election. Is there any reason to believe the outcome would be different to any real degree, like are some parties not able to run or something?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Going to elections again will significantly delay Netanyahu's immunity bill, and the prosecutors aren't going to wait around for the elections. :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Main Paineframe posted:

Going to elections again will significantly delay Netanyahu's immunity bill, and the prosecutors aren't going to wait around for the elections. :allears:
Yeah elections would be in Sept, which is a ways off

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing during the course of this investigation has given me the impression that the investigators are rushing to achieve anything. The immunity bill as I see it is more to stop all the negative news coverage and the frequent police interviews Netanyahu has to endure than to actually protect him from anything.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

I think that window has passed in 1948? I'm not going to cheat by googling, but I'm pretty sure no Arab parties (as opposed to individual MKs) were ever part of the governing coalition.

For reasons I cannot explain I happened to be on the Wikipedia page of Yitzhak Rabin a couple of months ago, and I actually remembered this bit:

Wikipedia posted:

Following Golda Meir's resignation in April 1974, Rabin was elected party leader, after he defeated Shimon Peres. [...] Rabin succeeded Golda Meir as Prime Minister of Israel on 3 June 1974. This was a coalition government, including Ratz, the Independent Liberals, Progress and Development and the Arab List for Bedouins and Villagers. This arrangement, with a bare parliamentary majority, held for a few months and was one of the few periods in Israel's history where the religious parties were not part of the coalition. The National Religious Party joined the coalition on 30 October 1974 and Ratz left on 6 November.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Can't believe I might end up having to burn vacation days in the middle of September to go vote again. Guess my next Christmas and New Year's in Israel's going to have to be 2020-2021.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Norton the First posted:

For reasons I cannot explain I happened to be on the Wikipedia page of Yitzhak Rabin a couple of months ago, and I actually remembered this bit:

The Arab List for Bedouins and Villagers wasn't an "actual" party, though. When Mapai was set up, and until the early 70s, party rules meant that Arabs couldn't join. So Mapai set up "satellite lists", parties that didnt have an independent existence but was just a way for Labour supporting Arabs to get elected. Progress and Development had been part of the Eshkol government coalition in 1965 too, and Cooperation and Development had been in pretty much every Mapai coalition in the 50s and 60s. But really, they were coalition partners in name only, and actually just Arab Mapai MKs

The closest thing to an independent party joining tla coalition was 93, where Arab parties weren't formal coalition partners but were part of an informal agreement.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
A penny confiscated and auctioned off is a penny earned:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/may/31/israel-to-auction-prefab-classrooms-donated-by-eu-to-palestinians

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Reposting from the funny image thread:

I don't find it funny, but it fits perfectly.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

a pale imitator of

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Someday the old white and blue will be hoisted with the swastika without the slightest of irony.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The fact that West Virginia exists because that part of Virginia didn't want to join the Confederacy adds a certain... je ne sais quoi.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

Someday the old white and blue will be hoisted with the swastika without the slightest of irony.

They can just use the old Raelian UFO Cult symbol.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Kushner really selling his new peace plan proposal!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reuters/status/1135375142673162240
https://mobile.twitter.com/bungarsargon/status/1135561752874180608
https://mobile.twitter.com/LarryNoble_DC/status/1135567793544486912
https://mobile.twitter.com/axios/status/1135342835492958209

President Art of the Deal really chose the right guy for the job.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That is one hell of a non answer.

"Mr Kushner, are you a limp dick ineffectual moron who only seeks to look like you're doing something, anything at all to contribute even a teaspoon worth of goodwill to the middle east?"

-"Of course I'm contributing massively by debasing the very concepts of Peace Negotiations and Humanitarian Aid and even just plain Brotherly Love, and I do it all while effortlessly reducing the entire Palestinian people to the level of insubordinate children! "

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who knows. Maybe acceleration will work in the I/P conflict... Nothing else is working.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Proponents of a settler-colonialist project turn to White Man's Burden argument to advocate ignoring self-determination for the natives. Are we back in the 19th century?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Conservatives never stopped believing that stuff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Is this next?

Jared Kushner, probably, posted:

.In this enlightened age, there are few I believe, but what will acknowledge, that colonialism as an institution is a moral & political evil in any Country. It is useless to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the Zionist than to the Palestinian, & while my feelings are strongly interested in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The Palestinians are immeasurably better off here than in Jordan, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is Known & ordered by a wise & merciful Providence. While we see the Course of the end of occupation is onward, & we give it the aid of our prayers & all justifiable means in our power we must leave the progress as well as the result in his hands who Sees the end; who Chooses to work by slow influences ; & with whom two thousand years are but a single day. Although the BDS activist must Know this; & must see that he has neither the right or power of operating except by moral means & suasion, & if he means well to the Palestinian, he must not create angry feelings in the Israeli; that although he may not approve the mode by which it pleases Providence to accomplish its purposes, the result will nevertheless be the same: that the reasons he gives for interference in what he has no Concern, holds good for every Kind of interference with our neighbours when we disapprove their Conduct; Still I fear he will persevere in his evil Course.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm honestly surprised that the entire population of gaza hasn't been been put to forced labour yet.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm honestly surprised that the entire population of gaza hasn't been been put to forced labour yet.

that would require letting them accept deliveries of raw materials, and we all know how that turns out

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

icantfindaname posted:

I think there is at least some Iranian funding of Palestine. Can't believe we've gone this long without mentioning Iranian support for Hezbollah though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Israel really loves Iranian pistachios though, love'em so much we get Turkey to buy and than rebrand them so we don't feel like we're doing business with iran.