Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Feranon posted:

if it keeps on rainin~

infrastructure weak :(

mean old levee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

so did the storms stop or did everyone in those areas just stop posting after losing power/internet?

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

It did slow down briefly!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i for one welcome our new monsoon season

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the current forecast here is 6 days of rain

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Been raining on off all day here in Detroit, and by rain I mean very heavy downpour.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shima Honnou posted:

Been raining on off all day here in Detroit, and by rain I mean very heavy downpour.

im NW where its usually fine but are parts of the city expecting anything crazy like this?

e: this pic was only from a few weeks ago lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mississippi is pretty loving high down here in New Orleans could you fuckers please stop sending water our way tia

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

PostNouveau posted:

Mississippi is pretty loving high down here in New Orleans could you fuckers please stop sending water our way tia

you're gone in like 20 years anyway no matter what so suck it up

way to build a huge fuckin city on a marsh below sea level numbnuts, can't even bury your dead lmao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Feranon posted:

you're gone in like 20 years anyway no matter what so suck it up

way to build a huge fuckin city on a marsh below sea level numbnuts, can't even bury your dead lmao

Hey

hey

some parts of the city are above sea level :colbert:

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

not for much longer

heh :smugdog:

(see also: miami. just roflmao)

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

at least new orleans has a massive mess of fresh (well, you know) water flowing past it

miami is hosed once the limestone reservoir their groundwater comes from ends up being mainly salty ocean

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

the mississippi is pretty dirty even up here in minnesota i can only image what sewage it is by the time it reaches Louisiana

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

at least you can drink boiled poopy water and survive

salty water not so much

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Love to put my feet in the Mississippi Mud

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

im NW where its usually fine but are parts of the city expecting anything crazy like this?

e: this pic was only from a few weeks ago lol

This was because someone had stolen the copper pipes out of the pumping station for that overpass, in general Detroit has little to no real flooding compared to other cities, with only certain areas being prone to it. The Rouge River does a pretty drat good job of draining the city even with huge amounts of rain. Like it blew my mind when i moved to NW indiana and poo poo sometimes just stayed flooded for days at a time

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This was because someone had stolen the copper pipes out of the pumping station for that overpass

I thought this was a joke until I looked it up

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
hrm yes, it seems to me that we're all being put into immediate physical danger as a result of the callous decisions of earth pillaging capitalists :thunk:

what if we built a guillotine and cut off the jet stream

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

hrm yes, it seems to me that we're all being put into immediate physical danger as a result of the callous decisions of earth pillaging capitalists :thunk:

what if we built a guillotine and cut off the jet stream

Invest in freedom molecules

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The pumping system in New Orleans was like this state of the art technological marvel ... in 1900.

It's so loving old that it uses the wrong kind of electricity. 25 cycle instead of the standard 60 cycle. So they have to have a bunch of ancient power generators that no one makes parts for anymore so they have to machine parts themselves if anything breaks.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This was because someone had stolen the copper pipes out of the pumping station for that overpass, in general Detroit has little to no real flooding compared to other cities, with only certain areas being prone to it. The Rouge River does a pretty drat good job of draining the city even with huge amounts of rain. Like it blew my mind when i moved to NW indiana and poo poo sometimes just stayed flooded for days at a time

i didnt know about the stolen pipes but the flooding from that storm was not just limited to that one overpass. allen park and dearborn hgts near the ecorse river had scenes like this

doing some googling though and it looks like stealing copper pipes from pumping stations are a real thing nationwide and was directly responsible for at least one major flood here in 2014. another story was in New Orleans which seems like a particularly bad city to do that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The pumping system in New Orleans was like this state of the art technological marvel ... in 1900.

It's so loving old that it uses the wrong kind of electricity. 25 cycle instead of the standard 60 cycle. So they have to have a bunch of ancient power generators that no one makes parts for anymore so they have to machine parts themselves if anything breaks.

any synchronous generator can produce 25Hz, just have to set the right speed.

that’ll cost money though

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

PostNouveau posted:

Sweet Jesus, I though 25hz was discontinued on the 50's,can't they retrofit them with frequency changers?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

any synchronous generator can produce 25Hz, just have to set the right speed.

that’ll cost money though

I think the route they're going is strapping converters onto some part of the system so it can hook up to 60-cycle power. But this is also expensive and the project is taking forever while we get "100 years rains" every 2 years or so.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Happy hurricane season! Congress is still sitting on the disaster relief bill from last year.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

PostNouveau posted:

sounds like infrastructure week went well

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Bulgakov posted:

at least new orleans has a massive mess of fresh (well, you know) water flowing past it

miami is hosed once the limestone reservoir their groundwater comes from ends up being mainly salty ocean

i tell people this and they are like oh hmm. anyway rip

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
3 rare tornadoes have hit Chile in recent days..
https://twitter.com/anturawellness/status/1134531547145658368?s=19

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

is that a waterspout that came on shore?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Socks4Hands posted:

yes

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TROMPA

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
That storm that caused all the tornadoes finally made it over to Europe and still has a crazy amount of energy. It was the most intense thunderstorm that I have ever witnessed here, sky went totally black, it only lasted an hour but the entire time was nearly constant back-to-back cascading lightning strikes and massively loud thunder, howling wind, all the cats in the neighborhood were freaking the gently caress out and meowing like crazy. I had an empty pot outside and it filled with a good two inches of rain.

Not mine, but it was pretty much like this nonstop for an hour:

https://twitter.com/evasaputo/status/1136021306334429185

All transportation was totally hosed everywhere this morning because there were downed trees everywhere, and the storm was the width of the entire country

twoday has issued a correction as of 14:56 on Jun 5, 2019

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Socks4Hands posted:

There are two types of waterspouts, ones that are legit tornadoes over the sea, and others that can' only exist due to the sea's effect on the air. This is what happens when the later hits ground:

https://i.imgur.com/Jyygor3.gifv

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Also the Mississippi is about 3 feet from going over the levees on the East St. Louis side of the river

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

gonna be close

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Historic Crests
(1) 49.58 ft on 08/01/1993
(2) 43.23 ft on 04/28/1973
(3) 42.52 ft on 01/01/2016
(4) 42.00 ft on 04/01/1785
(5) 41.89 ft on 05/22/1995
(6) 41.70 ft on 05/06/2017
(7) 41.33 ft on 05/06/2019
(8) 41.32 ft on 06/27/1844
(9) 40.52 ft on 06/04/2013
(10) 40.30 ft on 07/02/1947

predicted crest is gonna easily hit the #2 all time spot giving us two separate top 10 all time crests this year, 5 in the last 10.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

midwest just got another round of rain, will it put it over the top? will the cyber-demon city of oil and sin, Nu-Orleans, be pushed out to sea by a disgusted Poseidon after every single mile of every single branch of every single river feeding the Mississippi floods simultaneously?

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

midwest just got another round of rain, will it put it over the top? will the cyber-demon city of oil and sin, Nu-Orleans, be pushed out to sea by a disgusted Poseidon after every single mile of every single branch of every single river feeding the Mississippi floods simultaneously?

Googling it says that the levees are actually set to 54 ft so it won't be a problem. I was just eyeballing from the bridge.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Is this thread for midwest disaster hell only? Or can the coastie fire season get in too?

https://twitter.com/AnnaKingN3/status/1136305386418388992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

everything is welcome!

this thread is a pretty rare bird in CSPAM in that apparently it's less gloomy and nihilist than its non-CSPAM counterpart lol