Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
Several pages back I posted a series of pictures of me growing my hair long. One year ago:

Now I got a full ponytail:

It then occurred to me that none of you guys have seen me at my full size yet:

Yeah, I put on weight. Probably a combination of age (36) and a recent relapse into alcoholism. I've been off for a few days but I'm still not out of the woods yet. That's why I'm not looking quite as fresh as last year. You're all making me jealous with pictures of yourselves enjoying the good weather. It's almost summer here in N. Ireland but it has rained lightly but steadily for the past 5 days here.

Maybe the depressing weather caused the relapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

if it sounds like something joe biden would say, dont post it

LOL oh wow, that made me giggle. Yeah, giggle. It's 4am soooo...

Edit: Valko, man, sorry to hear that man, just try to stick with it. May not mean much coming from Random Internet Guy, but I'd been there too off and on for a long time, so I know it's tough. I'm sure there are other people that can relate as well, and would agree if you ever need an ear, we're here. Also, I enjoy 5 days of straight rain, but then again I'm one of those weirdos from Washington State that enjoys that kind of weather.

RandomZero has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Jun 2, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Picnic Princess posted:

Oooh missed some drama.

I was busy shooting an SKS.

I'm not much of a gun guy anymore but that looks like a lot of fun!

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

RandomZero posted:

LOL oh wow, that made me giggle. Yeah, giggle. It's 4am soooo...

Edit: Valko, man, sorry to hear that man, just try to stick with it. May not mean much coming from Random Internet Guy, but I'd been there too off and on for a long time, so I know it's tough. I'm sure there are other people that can relate as well, and would agree if you ever need an ear, we're here. Also, I enjoy 5 days of straight rain, but then again I'm one of those weirdos from Washington State that enjoys that kind of weather.

Thanks for your kind words but I think it is my burden to bear. I don't know, I got badly criticized for talking about it in a GBS thread (how much alcohol consumption is acceptable before you have a problem) so that put me off talking about on the forums. That thread was full of party animals trying to poke fun of people who were genuinely posting about the misery of alcoholism. I don't want to talk about this anymore because I don't want to bring down the happy tone of this thread. Don't worry about me, my last sober stretch lasted 18 months. I'll get there again.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Valko posted:

Thanks for your kind words but I think it is my burden to bear

Everyone bears their own burden alone, but they don't have to be alone while bearing it. If you don't want to talk about it here that's fine, but I believe in you, and if you ever need to reach out to talk about things, my PMs are always open :)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Duzzy's post wasn't great either but I am shocked that this passed without more comment. Are you aware that the Me Too campaign arose due to the overwhelming frequency of sexual abuse, assault, and harassment of women both in and out of the workplace? Are you aware that even aside from the women you saw speaking out and posting about it, there are many, many more who have been assaulted or abused and are not in a healthy enough space to speak out about it or perhaps even acknowledge it? Are you aware that posts like this, whether or not your intentions are "genuine," are incredibly dismissive and belittling of women that have experienced these things?

You are one hundred percent capable of offering a compliment that is appropriate and will please the complimentee. It is remarkably easy to respectfully tell a woman (or a man!) they're attractive. You could have whittled your post down to "would saying wow be inappropriate?" and, while SaS may still have advised you she doesn't think that it is, you at least would have managed to compliment her without off-handedly dismissing millions of women's traumatic or discomfiting experiences as an inconvenience for you, because you don't know if you're "allowed" to compliment someone's physical appearance anymore.

My advice to you is that if you need to preface your comment with "in this age of Me Too, am I even allowed to say this?" the answer is no. And it's nothing to do with Me Too, it's to do with common sense.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Valko posted:

the depressing weather

Hey friend, I've been where you're at, and my pm's are open to you too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

imo keep it classy and old school holy and just yell AWOOGAH when you see a girl to no one in particylar. works for me op

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Serious chat:

As a guy who likes guys, I also try to be thoughtful, respectful when complimenting men. It's amazing how when we get to know someone on the inside how much that changes our level of attraction. Because it's what's on the inside that counts.

In full disclosure, I've had my lapses in judgment along the way, usually under the influence of alcohol. Those are mistakes I learned a lot from, that I never repeat.

Semi-serious chat:

I'm looking for tips on how to get better pictures of myself. When I'm dating, I consistently have guys tell me I'm way cuter in person than in pictures.

Examples:

Not serious chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZOOEH9hQfM

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

imo keep it classy and old school holy and just yell AWOOGAH when you see a girl to no one in particylar. works for me op

This is what I do. I also stomp one foot up and down, pump my fists and my bowtie spins like a propeller. The females really appreciate the extra effort.

Goober Peas posted:

In full disclosure, I've had my lapses in judgment along the way, usually under the influence of alcohol. Those are mistakes I learned a lot from, that I never repeat.

Oh god yes. There are things I have done in my life (mostly when a much younger poo poo head) that I am so deeply ashamed of. It's the secondary reason I will no longer have more than one or two drinks when out in public (the primary reason is watching someone die painfully of alcoholism).

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Jun 2, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Do you make the Zoidberg WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP noises? That’s what really seals the deal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

no bcos I am too busy rolling up my tongue when it rolled out like a a venetian blind. idiot

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I know it's too little and too late, but please accept my sincere apologies to everyone in the thread. I'm an imbecile and my comment was absolutely thoughtless and inappropriate. I almost certainly deserved a probation or a ban for it, but I truly appreciate LITERALLY A BIRD's insightful response and at least something good will come of this: I have learned a valuable lesson.

SaS: I'm very sorry.

Although no one has requested it I'm going to unbookmark this thread from the Awful app and leave you all in peace.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm looking for tips on how to get better pictures of myself. When I'm dating, I consistently have guys tell me I'm way cuter in person than in pictures.

The only thing I can think of is that it looks like you're squinting pretty intensely at the camera and that's off-putting.

(if that's the way your eyes are genuinely, then I apologize and you should disregard this)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Goober Peas posted:

I'm looking for tips on how to get better pictures of myself. When I'm dating, I consistently have guys tell me I'm way cuter in person than in pictures
Same problem. I can never quite get the angle or lighting quite right, the camera on my phone sucks ducks and I constantly tremble like a nervous chihuahua. That's why I get all of my online dating photos done at the mall.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Same problem. I can never quite get the angle or lighting quite right, the camera on my phone sucks ducks and I constantly tremble like a nervous chihuahua. That's why I get all of my online dating photos done at the mall.

Is that cobie smulders?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Is that cobie smulders?
I don't know. Cap'n runs a very tight ship and frowns upon familiarity.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I don't know. Cap'n runs a very tight ship and frowns upon familiarity.

I have prosopagnosia so I'm really asking. I'm mostly sure that's her given the mall joke but also???

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

PizzaProwler posted:

The only thing I can think of is that it looks like you're squinting pretty intensely at the camera and that's off-putting.

(if that's the way your eyes are genuinely, then I apologize and you should disregard this)

That's fair -- My eyes are fairly sensitive to light, and I'm probably too focused on the camera.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

My eyes are fairly sensitive to light

This is why I’m wearing sunglasses (or a polarized mask) in every pic I’ve posted here. Do you sneeze when you walk into a brighter area than you were in before? Because that’s fairly annoying after over 3 decades of it 😤

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Goober Peas posted:

That's fair -- My eyes are fairly sensitive to light, and I'm probably too focused on the camera.

One trick I used a lot when I was a photographer was: get your shot set up, close your eyes, smile, and open your eyes right when you're ready to snap the picture. You'll have like a split second before your brain yells at you to squint.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

EmmyOk posted:

no bcos I am too busy rolling up my tongue when it rolled out like a a venetian blind. idiot

I see what you're saying, but only because my eyes are back to normal after extending way out from my head like woah

Somehow my glasses stayed on

:justpost:

What is this doing here I am not good at solenoids

Here's one for COOL CORN

Conrad Road is pretty.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

RC Cola posted:

I have prosopagnosia so I'm really asking. I'm mostly sure that's her given the mall joke but also???
I honestly have no idea. I just googled "bad mall glamour photography" and it was a toss-up between that one and a leather granny with handcuffs.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Icon Of Sin posted:

This is why I’m wearing sunglasses (or a polarized mask) in every pic I’ve posted here. Do you sneeze when you walk into a brighter area than you were in before? Because that’s fairly annoying after over 3 decades of it 😤

I don't - but - my eyes dilate huge. When I had Lasik surgery years ago, they told me they had never seen pupils dilate that much.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Picnic Princess posted:

Oooh missed some drama.

I miss dumping cheap ammo off the back porch

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

Oooh missed some drama.

I really really love your hair, it's my favorite shade of purple. Dark and vibrant.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Inzombiac posted:

I'm not much of a gun guy anymore but that looks like a lot of fun!

It was a real ear ringer! I know nothing of guns but my farther-in law's friend owns some really powerful ones, the recoil on one of them cut his hand on two places.

Also with regards to "smile more" I will say that it's not only negging, which is yuck, but also heavily implies that not only does she only exist to entertain and delight you, but she isn't even doing a good enough job of it and you expect her to give you more if what you want. That's not why we're here, my dudes. I get told that on the bus by strangers and it's like "I didn't get on this bus to be eye candy. I'm going home after work just like the men on this bus. Tell them to smile more too, I fuckin dare you."

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

This is my "Gimme a smile, baby" face:

Followed by a raspberry and jerk-off motion

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Six of Hearts set a new distance record of six of miles. In my new fav shirt.

Set a new speed record too. :hellyeah:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

You’re a cute guy, you’re fine

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

That shirt rules, and you're rockin' it well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CannonFodder posted:

Here's one for COOL CORN

Conrad Road is pretty.

I miss Lewisville so much :cry:

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010
Sometimes I wear glasses

But why am I smiling? Well it's because this thread is full of beautiful people and I am glad that y'all are so open with sharing both the good and the bad in your life :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm wearing an extremely on brand shirt today

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
is your brand made for ants????

RandomZero
Aug 22, 2010

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

That's awesome, congrats!!!

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Wow how do you get to nearly 17mph on skates? Is it just a serious downhill? The gap between highest and lowest elevation doesn't seem that great, but I'm also for poo poo at estimating height. Also, from what I can see, cute shorts! Though I guess I'm obviously a sucker for pink.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Friends, I need help picking a picture for my portfolio according to the stupid newbie programming thread. I was told more casual or a headshot. Can ya'll help me out? Tell me if any are usable, apparently I don't have many pictures taken of just me.

I really need some better pictures taken of myself.

RC Cola has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Jun 3, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ice castle (because it’s unique) or puppies (because everyone loves those). I think those are your best 2 in that set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Wow how do you get to nearly 17mph on skates? Is it just a serious downhill? The gap between highest and lowest elevation doesn't seem that great, but I'm also for poo poo at estimating height. Also, from what I can see, cute shorts! Though I guess I'm obviously a sucker for pink.

Flat open ground, sprinting in hi-lo, inline hockey skates, with marginally decent bearings. 20-25mph sprints weren't that difficult to hit with testosterone's assistance Back Then.
And pink is the best color. :)