Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

That Old Tree posted:

You should absolutely gently reach out and talk about it, and talk about what kind of boundaries you guys would like in your game. It may seem odd to care all that much about such actions in a game like Vampire of all things, but "well he likes animals" isn't a great reason to brush off making him uncomfortable, even if it was an accident. It can be easy to accidentally ruin someone's fun time, but it's often surprisingly easy to talk through this kind of stuff and make them feel better and avoid such things in the future.

And it's also possible that it really isn't a big deal, in which case all you did was try to be kind when you thought you might've hurt someone.

Yeah, there's no harm in clarifying boundaries. Depending on what sort of game your group is running it's actually a good idea, in fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I do that during the intro session for every game I run, and periodically check in every few sessions to see if people are comfortable. Often they relax the initial boundaries once they get to know each other and the game, sometimes they find a new one they didn't realize was an issue for them. It's just good DMing, and in your case, good playering - everyone at the table has a vested interest in making sure the other participants are okay, DM or otherwise.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I think Beast is a good addition to the Chronicles of Darkness but only because I think they work really well as weird Werewolf antagonist. The mixture of everything they do being so clearly evil and manipulating the supernatural makes them a pretty good twist reveal as the thing behind a Pure pack or a coven of strangely aggressive vampires. Everything they do would cause so much disruption to the spirt world they would be a big target for the Spirit Police.

As a game line of things you play as? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I think Beast is a good addition to the Chronicles of Darkness but only because I think they work really well as weird Werewolf antagonist. The mixture of everything they do being so clearly evil and manipulating the supernatural makes them a pretty good twist reveal as the thing behind a Pure pack or a coven of strangely aggressive vampires. Everything they do would cause so much disruption to the spirt world they would be a big target for the Spirit Police.

Despite the fact that Beasts have their special pheromones or whatever to make werewolves super-duper like them, I remember asking Kurieg some time back if I was correct in thinking that about every single thing they do would negatively impact the Shadow and the answer was yes. I could see them being a particular kind of Ridden with the Dark Mother as their progenitor and some of which think they 'have' to do it so they might be initially sympathetic but then, yeah, no, they need to go down. The villain in the current season of Cloak and Dagger, who broadly speaking feeds on despair, might be a good inspiration.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oh totally. Beasts are a clear evil.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Blitz7x posted:

Question for more seasoned WoD players:

Playing through a V20 Vampire the Masquerade game as a Gangrel and I got into a pinch where I needed blood pretty quickly or I was going into torpor. My vamp was running through some alleyways and docks and came across a stray dog. My Gangrel didn't have super high humanity (~5) so I figured whatever, it's just a fictional dog right?

Nope. My DM got super quiet and RP'd through the scene anyways (we play over skype so I can't see the other guys faces) but you could definitely tell that what I did upset him. My vampire immediately lost a humanity. I kind of laughed it off and tried to lighten the mood with a joke about how next time I could eat rats or even more dogs as my vampire wouldn't even think twice in character but that didn't seem to help. The session ended early and one of the other guys messaged me and said basically "hey don't worry about it he lives on a farm with pigs and poo poo so he's just a little weird about animals". I feel a bit better after that, but should I reach out and smooth things over? Or just let it go? Thanks

I'm not judging the guy's values at all and it's quite sweet to care about animals that much and I know it's likely he didn't know how much it could impact him but why would he even leave that scenario possible if he knew it would upset him?

Have any of you ever come across anything in White Wolf games that you didn't think would bother you but it did?

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
I feel like Beast would work a lot better if you replaced the lovely abuse apologia feeding method with an overriding obsessive need for something that archetypical monsters go for like hoarding, gluttony, desire, vengeance, or trickery and that heroes were essentially created spontaneously by the power of narrative to hunt them down in a weird eternal cycle. It'd still be one of the weaker splats with a bit too much changeling crossover but it wouldn't be 100% trash.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm not judging the guy's values at all and it's quite sweet to care about animals that much and I know it's likely he didn't know how much it could impact him but why would he even leave that scenario possible if he knew it would upset him?

Have any of you ever come across anything in White Wolf games that you didn't think would bother you but it did?

Same game that I'm in (I feel like I'm complaining alot here), but one of the guys is a Tremere vamp who's trying his damndest to get my gangrel bloodbound. It started out early on when he tricked my vamp into drinking from/touching a flask (I guess it has some blood binding properties?). The next one was when my vamp was knocked out in a fight and he used his blood to give me a little vitae to recover and stabilize. He's kind of crude in a jokey way ("haha your vamp will end up my blood/(sex?) slave") but that's just the world of darkness. Mechanically he's not doing anything wrong but it did give me the creeps that my vampire lies there torpored and he just does whatever he wants. Felt rapey.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I personally find that hosed up because I think you should always have some kind of agency in the direction of your character and something like that while I guess is very "vampire" it still feels like you're losing a lot of say in how your own story plays out. Not even in a story important way it seems, just another player being a prick.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 1, 2019

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
One vampire trying to covertly blood bond another, especially if they're in the same coterie, sounds like motivation for the second vampire to send a ghoul to pay the first a visit at high noon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Blitz7x posted:

It started out early on when he tricked my vamp into drinking from/touching a flask (I guess it has some blood binding properties?).

IIRC there’s a ritual to put a blood point in an object as a trap - when a vampire touches the object it will swap the blood in the object with a blood point from the victim, upping the blood bond one step or so.

ZiegeDame posted:

One vampire trying to covertly blood bond another, especially if they're in the same coterie, sounds like motivation for the second vampire to send a ghoul to pay the first a visit at high noon.

Yeah that’s an act of war. You’re a Gangrel, flex those agg damage claws when his back is turned.

...or read back through the thread for all the ways a blood bond can backfire on the binder, particularly the “keep them chained in the basement so nothing bad happens to them.”

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

And of course you have to keep the bond going while they're chained and eventually you might get the idea that your souls should be one and just keep on drinking until there's nothing left.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

That dog scenario is pretty weird imho.

Like, yes, it is kinda brutal that your character was in a situation where you had to maybe kill a beloved family companion to survive but the alternative is frenzying on an actual human.

Plus I think trying to make players feel ooc guilty about actions the game wants you to do is kind of gross unless everybody agrees that's what they'd like to explore.

Also edit: is it the same with all violence or did the gm especially want you to feel lovely about the dog?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

In my experience a lot of people are particularly sensitive about harm specifically coming to dogs, cats etc. This mostly comes up when it's foregrounded.

My advice: Go to the Polish grocery store and find you some pig blood.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Note: you're going to need a lot of it. Explain that you're doing an amateur theatre production of Carrie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Note: you're going to need a lot of it. Explain that you're doing an amateur theatre production of Carrie.
Dominate the night guy into needing to take an enormous dump and run off with the entire pig's worth.

Can you use Dominate to make people poo poo themselves? Can we get one of the OPP freelancers in here to make a call?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dominate forces them to do something they are able to do.

So I think that you can give that order but if they don't have to take a poo poo they're gonna be on that toilet for a while.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I use my mastery of Melpominee to create the brown note.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

Dominate forces them to do something they are able to do.

So I think that you can give that order but if they don't have to take a poo poo they're gonna be on that toilet for a while.
This seems like a very humanity friendly way to get around guard personnel.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Odd questions but I’m looking for some reading inspiration. Are there any decent books I could give a read as inspiration for some CtL scenarios or ideas?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Odd questions but I’m looking for some reading inspiration. Are there any decent books I could give a read as inspiration for some CtL scenarios or ideas?

War of the Flowers by Tad Williams

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Yeah, I’d second the earlier poster - intentionally getting you two steps blood bound should 100% be a justifiable reason to agg them into torpor, wake them, feed them, rinse repeat three times.

Then ask them nicely to wander into the daylight.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

This is very off topic but specific to this thread and I’ve been trying to solve this mystery for a while so I’m gonna try :

Ages ago, like literal threads ago, someone asked a question and someone else posted a little hand-drawn comic of this Meg Griffin looking girl saying “me i do”. This later turned into basically a meme between me and my sister and we’ve been referencing it for years. I would like to find the original image. I *think* that RocknRollaAyatollah was one of the posters. Maybe. Actually rereading the threads would be a pretty big task.

Does anyone else remember this?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Shockeh posted:

Yeah, I’d second the earlier poster - intentionally getting you two steps blood bound should 100% be a justifiable reason to agg them into torpor, wake them, feed them, rinse repeat three times.

The last part is, of course, metagaming and the exact opposite of a blood bond, but the first seems justified and also is the kind of yandere nonsense that an inter-coterie blood bond yields.

For its flaws I’m glad V5 largely got rid of blood bonding. It was an interesting idea for a wrinkle to cause tension in the party but ends up just being skeevy at best

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly, from what little I've bothered to dig into, you could "fix" beast by creating an elemental force of rear end in a top hat, that all monsters and other worldly creatures can draw from and can be influenced by as well, but Beasts are inexorably bound to obey and ruin everything, including themselves, to be pawns of. A roaming nightmare that people walk into its mouth and think themselves Faust. A mindless, ever shifting font of idiotic malevolence that is growing ever closer to us. And as it reaches out and affects people for no rhyme or reason, not even the amusement or rules that a Fae could have, a self reciprocating cycle of "beasts" and "heroes" continues to turn at more frequent and erratic intervals. Beasts and Heroes is just contextual fluff those bound by it created to try and give reason to a dumb game they are trapped in, wisdom a hope for some sort of purpose or meaning to the The rear end in a top hat's contrived and very often plagiarizing cruelty it takes from existing monsters and mashes them together into the thing that replaces a mortal's soul. The Mother is just the oldest pawn left and she is completely buried in the narrative to remember whatever she once was.

Or maybe just scorch the earth with it and try again with something that doesn't feel like a creeper fantasy at its core, I dunno.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Crabtree posted:

Honestly, from what little I've bothered to dig into, you could "fix" beast by creating an elemental force of rear end in a top hat

Like in Warhammer, the Brown Wind of Beasts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crabtree posted:

Or maybe just scorch the earth with it and try again with something that doesn't feel like a creeper fantasy at its core, I dunno.
Start over from the elevator pitch of "You are ancient creatures of legend hiding out in the modern day". Where you are, in fact, actually a dragon, not an abuser who says they're a dragon otherkin.

Why are you hiding out in human form in a suburb somewhere or whatever? Because you like not getting shot down by jet fighters.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Shockeh posted:

As stated by the prior poster this is metagaming, and at blood bond 2 you'd have to make willpower rolls just to start plotting against the regnant let alone actually harm them

Sometimes I wonder if the posters in this thread have actually ever even played vampire

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

A vampire freaking the gently caress out when they realize what's happening and trying to kill their regnant/flee the city/both is absolutely in character. It could easily lead to Final Death of both vampires. If there are any Anarchs or Sabbat in the city who even think something like that has happened they might go after the regnant as a gently caress you there's a red line pre-emptive measure. It's stupid af to bloodbond a PC without consent and should absolutely result in PC on PC violence.

It's basically saying that you want the coterie to dissolve. The Tremere dude's character becomes an NPC at that point and the coterie that's left has really good reason to hunt them down.

Relevant Tangent fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 2, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oberst posted:

As stated by the prior poster this is metagaming, and at blood bond 2 you'd have to make willpower rolls just to start plotting against the regnant let alone actually harm them

Sometimes I wonder if the posters in this thread have actually ever even played vampire

Lol we arent children we play werewolf or mage

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zereth posted:

Start over from the elevator pitch of "You are ancient creatures of legend hiding out in the modern day". Where you are, in fact, actually a dragon, not an abuser who says they're a dragon otherkin.

Why are you hiding out in human form in a suburb somewhere or whatever? Because you like not getting shot down by jet fighters.

I still remember being upset people told me I could totally play Godzilla in Beast when in fact that was a lie.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oberst posted:

"You can't do that because they've already mindcontrolled you into their slave" really isn't the compelling argument you want it to be.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Dawgstar posted:

I still remember being upset people told me I could totally play Godzilla in Beast when in fact that was a lie.

How would you even pen and paper a race of Kaiju or potential Kaiju? Take Werewolf's Gaia and a bit of Promethean and Changeling depending on how you're monstered into existence and hey, it turns out that humanity's gonna bring about another great extinction, and even if you may take the form of that Destructor, you can make sure human lives and souls can become something that survives after your great King of all monsters battle as the life form you'll possibly become?

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Kurieg posted:

"You can't do that because they've already mindcontrolled you into their slave" really isn't the compelling argument you want it to be.

I mean have you ever been mind controlled and tried to buy a kolache from the supermarket but you just cannot because in actuality you're there because your master specifically wants a plain bagel and unsalted butter?

I have. It's a solid argument. Being mind controlled into a slave sucks and I can't even play video games during it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I mean have you ever been mind controlled and tried to buy a kolache from the supermarket but you just cannot because in actuality you're there because your master specifically wants a plain bagel and unsalted butter?

I have. It's a solid argument. Being mind controlled into a slave sucks and I can't even play video games during it.

Maybe just get a divorce instead?

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Bust Rodd posted:

Maybe just get a divorce instead?

I can't do that because they've already mindcontrolled me into their slave

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Crabtree posted:

How would you even pen and paper a race of Kaiju or potential Kaiju? Take Werewolf's Gaia and a bit of Promethean and Changeling depending on how you're monstered into existence and hey, it turns out that humanity's gonna bring about another great extinction, and even if you may take the form of that Destructor, you can make sure human lives and souls can become something that survives after your great King of all monsters battle as the life form you'll possibly become?

I dunno. They just said I could be Godzilla and I couldn't, and in fact it was terrible and awful instead.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

I'm trying to post on the World of Darkness thread but my gosh darned master wants me to rob another blood bank and the straws from every capri sun i can find so he can have a slumber party with the local rear end in a top hat Ventrue

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Crabtree posted:

I really want a Kaiju tabletop RPG now. Thanks :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Big Eyes, Bigger Mouth.