Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Yeah agreed. I still haven't gotten over Robins redesign :( and of course the other female characters seem to be swept aside (same with Chopper and Brook). I hope the next arc gives us more Robin/Chopper/Brook action and less Luffy/Sanji.

Of course our boy Frankie the pervert is always welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Yeah agreed. I still haven't gotten over Robins redesign :( and of course the other female characters seem to be swept aside (same with Chopper and Brook). I hope the next arc gives us more Robin/Chopper/Brook action and less Luffy/Sanji.

Of course our boy Frankie the pervert is always welcome

Remember that brief moment when Nami was human-shaped?
Those were the good old days.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't mind recap filler if we get more scenes with Sengoku walking around eating snacks with his pet goat and making snarky comments

Sengoku is such a baller that he can mouth off at the new fleet admiral, who is clearly very annoyed, and no one can really do anything about it

Mark my words that goat for sure has eaten some sort of devil fruit, or is maybe an object that ate the goat fruit

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shadow0 posted:

Remember that brief moment when Nami was human-shaped?
Those were the good old days.

I've seen this specific criticism against really bosomy characters before, saying they don't look human, I don't concur. The manga has always had the really stylized extreme hourglass thing, the waist has always been the most nutty aspect. The bigger knockers aspect I think gets too much flack, and if that's what you mean, it's just wrong to say it's not human. How about the J-cup bra? It didn't invent itself. We're talking really huge here folks. Hell there are even letters higher than that one. But I digress.

I think Nami-swan looks fine relative to the stylized look of the manga, but I do think how Oda draws waists is a little unusual at least. Overall I think this type of criticism that huge bosomed anime lasses don't look human is an odd stance to take, and I think Nami's change in look over the years is not bad myself.

Long story short, I am anti-anti-huge-bosoms, I think Nami is non-heinous.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I'm showing my Girlfriend One Piece for the first time, and we've made it to the near climax of Alabasta.

She's enjoying it, but she's noticed that the female frames don't really make a lot of sense, and has picked up on Nami's ever increasing bust.

I'm not sure how she'll react when we get to the later arcs like Sabondy and everything post-timeskip.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

I've seen this specific criticism against really bosomy characters before, saying they don't look human, I don't concur. The manga has always had the really stylized extreme hourglass thing, the waist has always been the most nutty aspect. The bigger knockers aspect I think gets too much flack, and if that's what you mean, it's just wrong to say it's not human. How about the J-cup bra? It didn't invent itself. We're talking really huge here folks. Hell there are even letters higher than that one. But I digress.

I think Nami-swan looks fine relative to the stylized look of the manga, but I do think how Oda draws waists is a little unusual at least. Overall I think this type of criticism that huge bosomed anime lasses don't look human is an odd stance to take, and I think Nami's change in look over the years is not bad myself.

Long story short, I am anti-anti-huge-bosoms, I think Nami is non-heinous.

I don't mind the sexy styles for Nami and Robin (though I feel they should be toned down a bit), what rankles with me is how just about every important female character has the same body. Boa, Vivi, Kalifa, Sadi, Perona, Rebecca, Viola, Reiju, Betty and hell, even the milkmaid and female form Ivan are all basically just head & clothing swaps with Nami and Robin.

And yes, while J+ cups exist in real life, people who need them are the exception, not the norm.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have a much bigger issue with Robin's plastic surgery addiction than Nami being as she is. Robin didn't just get the standard boob job, she also got a massive nose job, work done on her eyes, and some chin/cheek work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

I have a much bigger issue with Robin's plastic surgery addiction than Nami being as she is. Robin didn't just get the standard boob job, she also got a massive nose job, work done on her eyes, and some chin/cheek work.

She somehow became white as well (though granted her more tannish skin in the first half of the series was an invention of the anime if I’m remembering right).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Larryb posted:

She somehow became white as well (though granted her more tannish skin in the first half of the series was an invention of the anime if I’m remembering right).

It was, I think she’s meant to be vaguely Russian as far as real world nationalities. Nami is Swedish and Luffy is Brazilian in that vein.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I could almost buy her original darker skin colour being the result of her being tanned from spending a lot of time in the desert, and leaving there for long enough resulted in her returning to her normal skin colour (the rest of the crew isn't in the country long enough to get a tan), but I just realised I've probably thought about this more than the author so...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I could almost buy her original darker skin colour being the result of her being tanned from spending a lot of time in the desert, and leaving there for long enough resulted in her returning to her normal skin colour (the rest of the crew isn't in the country long enough to get a tan), but I just realised I've probably thought about this more than the author so...

The problem with that is that she's still shown as tan skinned in the flashback to her childhood during Enies' Lobby.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 3, 2019

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Zark the Damned posted:

What's even weirder Vivi, the country's desert princess, has skin as milky white as they get.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe the kingdom is called Alabaster because of it's inhabitants skin being unable to tan?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We can all agree Sanji's hair switching sides is good and provocative though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i just mostly don't really like the "default" outfits of the strawhats post timeskip. luffy and sanji's are fine but everyone else i'm pretty eh about. they've all gotten better outfits in later arcs though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I did like Robin's sunglasses and sarong.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This guys reaction to Sengoku giving flak to the admiral was hilarious:

Also, completely forgot about Luffy competing with White Beard. I really should go back and checkout One PACE version of that those episodes.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 4, 2019

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

As of the latest episode, where they very quickly (thankfully) recapped the entire New World arc to this point, I think they've run out of stuff to recap. Except like, Skypiea and Thriller Bark.

This episode was actually the most lazy, since they did not need to reanimate anything in it.

Wano's definitely starting within a handful of episodes.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tir McDohl posted:

As of the latest episode, where they very quickly (thankfully) recapped the entire New World arc to this point, I think they've run out of stuff to recap. Except like, Skypiea and Thriller Bark.

This episode was actually the most lazy, since they did not need to reanimate anything in it.

It's Starting July 7th

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1134991687246405636?s=21

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

That trailer looks amazing. Once again getting my hopes up for this mostly mediocre adaptation of a great manga.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Tir McDohl posted:

I don't think they reanimated anything for the recaps - there have been a bunch of "special episodes" (generally much longer than a typical episode) which re-tell the earlier arcs with more updated/better quality animation.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tir McDohl posted:

That trailer looks amazing. Once again getting my hopes up for this mostly mediocre adaptation of a great manga.

I stand by my recommendation of just waiting for one pace episodes. I don't read the manga at all and it's still great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Truga posted:

I stand by my recommendation of just waiting for one pace episodes. I don't read the manga at all and it's still great.

Huge mistake missing out on the cover arcs.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The recaps were awful. They just tried showing you the emotionally impactful moments with worse music and without any of the lead-up - and it all feels so flat.

Like was Vivi slapping Luffy in the desert important in a recap? Of course not. It felt like the show was trying to show off or something. "Look at these cool moments!"

It really dulls the impact of a scene to play it over and over again.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

My favorite part was last episode where they showed some quick shots from the Katakuri fight. Luffy uses Snake Man to punch Katakuri, who then promptly falls on his back defeated.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Tir McDohl posted:

My favorite part was last episode where they showed some quick shots from the Katakuri fight. Luffy uses Snake Man to punch Katakuri, who then promptly falls on his back defeated.

That's what happened. He's going to be King of the Pirates.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I thought it was cool way back when we saw a young Gol D. Rodger wearing the straw hat, but now I'm just confused because we got a preview of a big one in a meat locker now.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
This is just making me hate the French even more

edit: I see now this is one piece not one punch but I stand by my opinion

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 5, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Out of curiosity, whatever happened to the dub for this? Last I checked they finished Fishman Island about a year ago but there’s been nothing since then (they also dubbed Film Gold).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To my knowledge it has just been a slow process of getting everyone together to voice their lines, edit the footage, and get approval from Toei.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
They've been dubbing the specials, the fact of the matter is even they know the anime is horseshit now and OP isn't big enough in the states to justify the cost.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

The obsession with timeslots and not running reruns is so goddamn dumb.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WilliamAnderson posted:

The obsession with timeslots and not running reruns is so goddamn dumb.

Just make a recap!
It's like a rerun, but worse!

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

You can tell that they wanted time to animate this week's episode. The animators clearly had fun leaning hard into the artstyle. The pacing is still awful, but it's something.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Screw the recaps, they should have just featured more of the side story about the revolution's rescue mission.

Though I do appreciate that the land of Wano has its own art style.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's a stronger style than they usually do, here's hoping the b-team keeps the quality up.

Also, how many times have they fallen into a raging torrent of water by now?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Freakazoid_ posted:

It's a stronger style than they usually do, here's hoping the b-team keeps the quality up.

Also, how many times have they fallen into a raging torrent of water by now?

Usually they just use their deus ex machina jet.
But I guess they ran out of cola...

Also they have all that side stuff like Enel going to the Moon they could be animating.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly I’d prefer they just do some straight up filler arcs again as opposed to the current setup of adapting maybe a chapter per episode (and sometimes not even that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's what DBZ's chapter per ep was (1.1 overall they say), and for One Piece it often feels a bit more eventful. Just because the chapters have more varied stuff in them.

Not that this manga adaptation from way back in the day is the bar, just at least One Piece is a better watch than DBZ. I agree OP and every show would be better without a pace tied to this situation, but I still enjoy One Piece as is.

I'd be cool with the filler angle though. Is the filler arc thing going out of style? Any other shows do that much in recent years?