Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I really hope Sonique does AS5. It was really awesome seeing her on the Christmas special and popping up elsewhere lately, I hope WoW is considering her.

Also if AS5 doesn't finally give us Ongina idk what I'll do tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/HClaytonWright/status/1133868577973579779

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
LIt would be funny if they did do a Rudemption season and it completely slipped past the Nancy Drews because nobody noticed the queens' schedule changes.

This is amazing and I need one of Laganja's standup, Farrah's roast, and Vixen vs Eureka.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

If anyone wants to read the likely AS5 cast, people have pretty good guesses based on who canceled their pride month gigs!
imo it looks like it will be a good season :)

isn't it wild that people have such an idea before filming even begins? a little unnerving, but it's a gossipy subculture :v:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Can we take a moment to appreciate how loving right Ongina looked at the finale

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Was that loving Venus D-Lite on the stage?

Who else was up there?

I thought this season overall was frustrating. Ru seems over it, the challenges were lazy, and so many of the queens don't seem to even care if they make it to the end that they're not even trying. The lip syncs lacked passion overall. When was the last truly great lip sync, Tatianna and Alyssa?

But, I'm happy with the ending. Silky seemed defeated, she knew the writing was on the wall. Akeria never stood a chance. Brooke was the obvious choice, but her lip syncs seemed phoned in. Yvie was the only person who seemed to be having fun on stage.

Anyway, I'm sure the list of who is on All Stars 5 (6?) is out there. Come on, put it in spoiler tags and let me know who we're watching this fall.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I haven't looked too deep, but so far it sounds like (potential AS5 spoilers) Shea and Cracker have cancelled gigs during the rumoured July filming dates. I'm sure there's more names out there, going to look later.

e: Alyssa potentially confirmed another season of Dancing Queen, they've been filming again

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 1, 2019

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

esperterra posted:

e: Alyssa potentially confirmed another season of Dancing Queen, they've been filming again

Which, I welcome. The show was more fun that I expected it to be. I could do with less of the family drama.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked it a lot, yeah. If it was just Alyssa teaching the kids/going to competitions intercut with her weird in drag talking to self/dream segments I'd be set. The family drama is meh, but it's not a big knock on the show for me.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Yvie's song is a bop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcUiEBORgh4

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

This is gonna be stuck in my head forever.

She's the real deal. I'm so glad.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Was travelling all of yesterday and now I finally can open Instagram again. My poo poo was lost at the same time Silky did.

Really pleased with the winner too, was hoping for Vanjie all season but this is better.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm just even more over the LSFTC than I already was. It feels so weird having a winner with only one win all season, and it was a shared win. Yvie deserved it going by the rule of the past three years of 'if you win the lip sync you win the crown' but gently caress every year I just wish more and more that, if we're going to lip sync for the crown again, it would be the two queens who did the best all year.

Also lowkey just wanted Yvie to lose so she'd be back on All Stars. I like her drag, but she's rough around the edges in the runway department and the personality department, and to see her on All Stars with some COINT and having worked on her nerves in performance challenges I think would be entertaining as all hell.

tea from people who went to the finale is that the final lip sync was super close, or there were a lot of people who thought Brooke did better. I wonder how much sitting far away would have effected the enjoyment of Yvie's lip sync. It played soooo drat well for TV, being able to pick up the cool as gently caress effect the mirrored headpiece was giving with her face. Yvie loving killed it there.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I don't like the lip sync for the crown format either, it just felt like more or less the same final 4 lipsync formality except it's happening on a live stage. Like yeah we got Sasha and Asia being clear-cut decisions but for the most part the songs are kind of generic ones that both sides would do equally well so they can just pick whoever they want to win anyway.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

blizzardvizard posted:

I don't like the lip sync for the crown format either, it just felt like more or less the same final 4 lipsync formality except it's happening on a live stage. Like yeah we got Sasha and Asia being clear-cut decisions but for the most part the songs are kind of generic ones that both sides would do equally well so they can just pick whoever they want to win anyway.

Can you imagine how good it'd be if they let the top two independently select and perform their song? Obviously it'd never happen, but giving them a chance to do what they feel is their best would turn out some pretty amazing performances. Maybe I have a Eurovision hangover. Of course, don't lip sync to your own song, that's just gauche.

Although, the trouble with that is we wouldn't see queens adapt to songs that aren't "their brand".

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 1, 2019

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Hug in a Can posted:

If anyone wants to read the likely AS5 cast, people have pretty good guesses based on who canceled their pride month gigs!
imo it looks like it will be a good season :)

It does look good from what little leaks I've seen. drat. Stuck in Big Drag's pocket; I don't want to play the VH1-money game but the queens themselves are just so compelling.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
LSFTC was interesting the first time, and it made sense for that particular season. I don't feel like it worked for season 10 at all, especially after the rules were overridden and it ended up being a 3-way at the end. I kind of wish they'd go back to performing a number as season 7 & 8 had. I also kind of wish they'd go back to top 3 instead of 4.

As much as I have been Team Yvie from the start, I am a little curious as to how one (shared) win was enough to justify crowning her. I'm not complaining tho.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ugly ugly season

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Jr. posted:

Can you imagine how good it'd be if they let the top two independently select and perform their song? Obviously it'd never happen, but giving them a chance to do what they feel is their best would turn out some pretty amazing performances. Maybe I have a Eurovision hangover. Of course, don't lip sync to your own song, that's just gauche.

This is what drag race Thailand does.

Speaking of which, I got to see Pangina perform last night!

Hooooly gently caress. Probably the best lip sync performance I've seen and I've seen a lot of drag.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

GrandmaParty posted:

Speaking of which, I got to see Pangina perform last night!

Amazing. I'm extremely jealous of the people a week ago who got Pangina, Alaska, and Yvie performing at Roscoe's. Catching Pangina on a rare US-side tour is pro-tier amazing!

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ugly ugly season

Deep deep analysis

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I mean. Yeah

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
My partner fell asleep watching untucked and the streaming service that carries drag race lets you turn off those ‘are you still there’ things (which in hindsight are meant to prevent this) and I woke at at 3 am having a panic attack bc phi phi was yelling at me about buying shoes jfc

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

:allears: If someone wants to make this avatar sized, I'd take it!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Finally getting around to the finale. Even if I hadn't seen any of the rest of the season, I would pick Yvie as the winner vs. the other front runners based on her intro alone.

e: Also I'm increasingly convinced that Plastique may have gone home too early.

ongoing edits for realtime reactions:
Silky looks like she's about to barf out of fear.
YO SILKY QUALITY OVER QUANTITY ffs, Brooke is putting on a show while you're doing a "finding the right clothes" montage.
wait did that person have a stuffed chihuahua
Man A'keria's outfit is pretty goddamn generic for this level of competition. She all but disappears on stage next to Yvie even before you get to the fact that Yvie is selling the song better. It's basically Yvie and that moving bit of scenery that keeps getting between us and Yvie.
Nina getting Miss Congeniality was entirely expected and entirely deserved. Really liked her take on the paper doll look too.
poo poo I need to see Aquaria live.
I am a bit unimpressed by wardrobe reveals at this point but coming out in a baggy black thing that literally says "here comes the reveal" is goddamn fantastic.
Brooke did a great job but ultimately I really feel like it was no contest. I'm not sure it's possible for someone to win Drag Race any more without more of a "point of view" style of drag, and I just don't get that from Brooke. She's amazing at literally everything but I don't see much from her that's that unique.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 1, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hello, she's canadian

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I need someone to do an obvious reveal like Brooke did, but before the lipsync even starts they need to tell Ru to hold on, do the reveal then, and then do the song without fumbling for a reveal.
Stop the loving reveals!!!!!!! If the garment is built to be taken off to reveal a garment built to be hidden they're both going to look bad!
Imagine if Violet on season 8 had built a reveal into her finale costume and revealed a worse version of the costume that didn't go with her makeup or the remaining clothing. This is what all reveals are. It was good when Roxxxy did it with the longer wig under the shorter wig, it was good when Sasha did it with the rose petals, it was good when Monet took off a wig to reveal a second identical wig underneath the first wig, and it was good when Yvie did it with the careful dancing to not show off the back of the headpiece, which was built into the look in the first place. Reveals are done now, we've gotten all the good ones.

Okay I'm done rambling about reveals now.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

curiousTerminal posted:

Stop the loving reveals!!!!!!! If the garment is built to be taken off to reveal a garment built to be hidden they're both going to look bad!

Counterpoint: https://www.instagram.com/p/BfOMoocl2p0/

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Peppermints finale reveals will always be the ones other queens are ripping off, they were basically full costume changes at visual counterpoint to each other done so quickly I didn’t even notice the change.

Roxy too obvs

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I like a reveal and I always will, but it's gotta be good. It's gotta be Brooke Lynn throwing off a caftan and afro wig, not Trinity whipping off a tiny lil skirt and oh it's a bikini bottom wow. Or when they struggle to reveal it, it's not good.

I think Plastique and Shuga are the queens I most want to see in a future All Stars season. Shuga looked SO good at the finale, gosh. I just hope Plastique wears more things made for her body shape. It drove me crazy seeing her wear those beautiful pieces on the runway that just didn't loving fit her.

I'm happy Yvie won, anyway. I knew it was gonna be between her and Brooke, so I'm pleased it went to Yvie. Brooke was really polished and really knew herself, but I'm more interested in seeing what Yvie does with that Rupaul money.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Already feel somehow that brook is above AS. don't know why. Carries herself as above.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

big dyke energy posted:

Shuga looked SO good at the finale, gosh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rupaulsdragrace/comments/bvcl6o/shuga_cains_finale_runway_but_its_edited_like_her/

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

big dyke energy posted:

I like a reveal and I always will, but it's gotta be good. It's gotta be Brooke Lynn throwing off a caftan and afro wig, not Trinity whipping off a tiny lil skirt and oh it's a bikini bottom wow. Or when they struggle to reveal it, it's not good.

I think Plastique and Shuga are the queens I most want to see in a future All Stars season. Shuga looked SO good at the finale, gosh. I just hope Plastique wears more things made for her body shape. It drove me crazy seeing her wear those beautiful pieces on the runway that just didn't loving fit her.

I'm happy Yvie won, anyway. I knew it was gonna be between her and Brooke, so I'm pleased it went to Yvie. Brooke was really polished and really knew herself, but I'm more interested in seeing what Yvie does with that Rupaul money.

I'm more interested in seeing Yvie on an All Stars with some money. Meanwhile Brooke imo I don't think has much more growth drag-wise to do so I think she woulda been a more fitting winner, having done the best all year anyway.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
^ I agree with you about Brooke, which is why I wasn't really rooting for her to win, if that makes sense? Brooke knows who she is, she knows her drag and her performance is always polished. After she had to lip sync, I didn't feel like she really pushed herself out of her comfort zone again (but feel free to correct me!). On the other hand, I feel like Yvie had to push herself more to get to where she is, so her win feels more 'earned' to me. I agree Yvie on All Stars would be amazing, but I'm interested to see what she does outside of the show more than anything (especially as she brought up during the season, she isn't going to be able to keep performing on the same level she has been).

:negative:

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
rewatched the finale and I was rather enjoying Ariel's reaction to Yvie throughout the LSFTC

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I just want someone to pull a wig rip reveal where they have a bald cap underneath with condoms full of fake blood in-between the baldcap and wig so when they pull the wig off it’s someone straight up scalping themselves onstage and then they just spend the rest of the lip sync lying on the ground in a pool of blood twitching.

Also: reveals need to be - at the very least - two FULLY FORMED CONCEPTS THAT WORK OUTSIDE OF THE CONTEXT OF A REVEAL. I feel like that dude from Blondie, I demand professionalism and none of this Aquaria Jiffy Pop NONSENSE.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I just want someone to pull a wig rip reveal where they have a bald cap underneath with condoms full of fake blood in-between the baldcap and wig so when they pull the wig off it’s someone straight up scalping themselves onstage and then they just spend the rest of the lip sync lying on the ground in a pool of blood twitching.
Oh boy, an excuse to post A Good Lipsync (please forgive extremely unevolved event name, they've since changed it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYy1Rw0TFQU

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
During Silky and Brooke's lipsync there was some fantastic and funny camera work. I noticed like 2-3 times, the camera would catch Silky doing a reveal and then snap-pan to Brooke and linger on her for a while. Like "Okay, with that out of the way, let's get back to the real star here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

spite house posted:

Oh boy, an excuse to post A Good Lipsync (please forgive extremely unevolved event name, they've since changed it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYy1Rw0TFQU
Oh oh - that's exactly what I needed, bless you. :buddy: