Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Hentai Jihadist posted:

My fav addition is the auto formation when you select the whole army and place them

This as well as the game running smoother practically saved the franchise for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hentai Jihadist posted:

My fav addition is the auto formation when you select the whole army and place them

That surprised and delighted me when I saw it first happen, absolutely legit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I've been away from my pc for a few days for work and with every passing day I want to play this more.

I tried soothing my spirit by watching Three Kingdoms every chance I get but shockingly that hasnt helped.

Anyway I'm home later today, what's a good faction to play if I've tried Liu Bei, Cao Cao, Gong Du, Yuan Shao, Gongsun Zan and Ma Teng cuckold run?

Bandit Queen seems cool, likewise Sun Jian gets the archer lady who sounds cool. The other bandit guy also gets ambush attack which seems reasonably OP

Make Han Empire die, hire Liu Xie when he comes of age and make him your heir, reforge Han.

Unfortunately the game won’t rename you to Han if you do this, but it should!

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
I thought war hammer would spoil me for historical but this is the perfect blend of the two. It’s taken me a while but I really like the economy and how upkeep/unit tiers work with time. As said, just make forced march prevent retreat and it’d be nearly perfect. I would pay for dlc that was just more character portraits/lines/items/skills for sure.

If anyone’s sleeping on the emperor tier explosive archers, do not. They can easily rack up 500 kills by themselves. Like a trebuchet but shorter range and more of an aoe.

A few other things I like is that even with death towers, sieges are way less repetitive than warhammer, and the map variety for them is cool. Loving the shorter turn times, plus with how rich the campaign layer is, the percentage of time spent actually playing/making decisions is way higher.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Has anyone noticed how the rank 9 and 10 experience stats start to scale exponentially? My Thunder of Jian'an units are starting to hit the higher tiers - the rank 10 guys have twice as much ranged attack speed as the rank 8 guys, and the rank 10 guys have 500 (yes, 500) melee attack speed. I never put them in melee combat, but I'm pretty sure if anyone makes the mistake of engaging them up close, they're just going to get blendered.

Edit: Actually, maybe I'm crazy. I just looked at them again in another battle and it's a much more reasonable number. I wonder what caused that.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 2, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
They really need to unfuck Warhammer sieges, they're the worst part of that game right now. I was so happy to see the AI sally towards my forces on the siege map when they realized they were outgunned by trebuchets.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

They really need to unfuck Warhammer sieges, they're the worst part of that game right now. I was so happy to see the AI sally towards my forces on the siege map when they realized they were outgunned by trebuchets.

This is a complicated thing to do because the much greater variety in Warhammer unit types means that it's harder to make these kinds of decisions intelligently. You might have the AI go "oh this guy has 4 plagueclaw catapults it's time for a sally out so we don't get bombarded to death" but then they sally into the open field and get massacred by ratling guns that would be otherwise totally worthless for attacking dudes on walls, which then prompts the "lol siege AI is so dumb they will literally run out and die instead of using their walls" complaints.

3K, meanwhile, has one total ranged artillery unit with uniform performance across all factions, and every single ranged unit is a variation on the same one with small range/fire rate/armor piercing tweaks, and there's no bizarre siege-breaking variables like flying monsters to deal with. This isn't a knock on the game, it's just that it's way easier to design a not stupid decision tree for the AI to use in 3K.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 2, 2019

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

litany of gulps posted:

Has anyone noticed how the rank 9 and 10 experience stats start to scale exponentially? My Thunder of Jian'an units are starting to hit the higher tiers - the rank 10 guys have twice as much ranged attack speed as the rank 8 guys, and the rank 10 guys have 500 (yes, 500) melee attack speed. I never put them in melee combat, but I'm pretty sure if anyone makes the mistake of engaging them up close, they're just going to get blendered.

Edit: Actually, maybe I'm crazy. I just looked at them again in another battle and it's a much more reasonable number. I wonder what caused that.

Could be from officer buffs.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yes, I recognize that in Warhammer, squatting in your cities and tanking all the artillery shots is actually probably a better idea than sallying out to get slaughtered by gunlines, but between the AI's pathing in sieges being atrociously bad, their tendency to just sit there in breaches and get shot at by enemies literally looking right at them across the gap, and getting chumped by magic since they clump up all the time...at least making them sally out when outgunned gives me a fantastic spectacle instead of a slog of a battle that's easy to win with no casualties because the AI just can't manage sieges.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kanos posted:

This is a complicated thing to do because the much greater variety in Warhammer unit types means that it's harder to make these kinds of decisions intelligently. You might have the AI go "oh this guy has 4 plagueclaw catapults it's time for a sally out so we don't get bombarded to death" but then they sally into the open field and get massacred by ratling guns that would be otherwise totally worthless for attacking dudes on walls, which then prompts the "lol siege AI is so dumb they will literally run out and die instead of using their walls" complaints.

3K, meanwhile, has one total ranged artillery unit with uniform performance across all factions, and every single ranged unit is a variation on the same one with small range/fire rate/armor piercing tweaks, and there's no bizarre siege-breaking variables like flying monsters to deal with. This isn't a knock on the game, it's just that it's way easier to design a not stupid decision tree for the AI to use in 3K.

I think I’ve posted this exact thought before but a similar problem comes implementing duels in Warhammer. In 3K you essentially just need to animate the different weapon types in the jousting bouts and then foot duels. It’s all humans whacking humans with fancy weapons. There’s impractical weapons and impractical moves but it’s all something a stunt person in a film would do, at it’s craziest.

In Warhammer, Karl Franz with his hammer needs to duel Grimgor, who is roughly his size, and also Kholek, who is like fifty feet tall. He’s going to be using totally different animations based on who he’s dueling.

On top of that, the Warhammer races mostly have quite distinct animations as a whole, so even similarly armed and sized characters kinda need different animations for it to not look like poo poo. Queek and Mannfred both have a polearm and a sword but the jock rat and the nerd vampire having the same moves would be lame.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This is kind of an edge case, but if your army gets surrounded in a city you can surrender without a fight and your generals escape unharmed, you have to rebuy them including paying for their retinue. Expensive but maybe better than getting your faction leader murdered.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Warhammer sieges suffer from having not great maps. Like they're very pretty and all but meh at the concept of a single curtain wall and that's it.

It'd be way different if there were two walls on bigger cities with the second being out of range of artillery unless they roll it up in range of the first wall's towers. Then you'd have to pick, use artillery to kill first wall and then fight through buildings to get your siege equipment to the second, or use your siege equipment to take the wall then roll your artillery up to pound the keep - but not enough ammo for artillery to handle both.

Basically somehow medieval 2 still has the best siege battles.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Basically somehow medieval 2 still has the best siege battles.

That's a funny way to spell Shogun 2. Also, excepting Empire, Medieval 2 had some of the worst AI of the entire series. A pretty drat good game for its time, but there's a whole bunch of people out there who view it with some ridiculously rose-tinted glasses.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Randarkman posted:

That's a funny way to spell Shogun 2. Also, excepting Empire, Medieval 2 had some of the worst AI of the entire series. A pretty drat good game for its time, but there's a whole bunch of people out there who view it with some ridiculously rose-tinted glasses.

yeah lol i had a battle once where i was fighting a desperate defense to bloody the enemy and kept falling back through more and more defenses until i was finally locked in the citadel of the town with a couple of half dead spearmen, then the AI bugged out and just sat in the street waiting for nothing while the clock ran out

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Medieval 2 castle sieges were pretty awesome though, if a bit of a slog. I remember rolling a great bombard up to the inner keep gate to use it as an impromptu battering ram.

AI really was bad though. If the enemy was cavalry-heavy you could instawin the siege defense by planting stakes right behind the gate. The enemy cav would flood in after the battering ram opened the gate and immediately impale themselves in a giant hilarious pile.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They both had good siege maps but the AI wasn’t good at them, so the really fun epic affairs had to be multiplayer custom battles.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Wasn't Shogun 2 sieges just like an open courtyard with walls so low you could casually climb them

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Shogun 2 had tiered castle sieges where 'defend then fall back and defend again' was a legit strategy in a way it hasn't been any other time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And even the smallest castle size didn't have low walls. It did lack tiers though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Siege maps were the one thing THRoB excelled at.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The walls were pretty easily easy to scale (and unit can use grappling hooks/ropes and get up fairly quick) and idk it's not that easy to fall back once you're already fighting off climbers. It's easier to just array your forces in depth to begin with.

Dunno I just didn't dig the Shogun sieges that much. I found them easily cheesed with range. Great game don't get me wrong (I esp like FotS).

John Charity Spring posted:

Shogun 2 had tiered castle sieges where 'defend then fall back and defend again' was a legit strategy in a way it hasn't been any other time.

Yeah I mean any other time since Medieval 2, anyway. :shrug:

E: I'm also just more partial to European castles which is subjective obv

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 2, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
climbing absolutely tanked stamina (and dealt attrition) so it was pretty easy to deal with the once in a while the player had to fend one off

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sure but if you make an engaged unit run away they're going to eat tons of casualties and take moral hits themselves, no?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

climbing absolutely tanked stamina (and dealt attrition) so it was pretty easy to deal with the once in a while the player had to fend one off

Your guys also had a chance to fall off to their deaths IIRC. With higher walls you'd get more fatigued and more dudes would fall and die. So it wasn't really feasible to just straight up climb the higher walls, there you were better off attacking a gate or a lower portion of the wall to get inside the castle.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I mean any other time since Medieval 2, anyway. :shrug:

E: I'm also just more partial to European castles which is subjective obv

Medieval 2 didn't have European castles though, it genuinely had less realistic castles than the Bretonnian ones in Warhammer lol. I'm a big castle nerd and it really annoyed me at the time. Still haven't got over it, clearly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mantis42 posted:

Siege maps were the one thing THRoB excelled at.

The maps rule but it usually ends up being in campaign, at best, one epic fight for one wall section and then done. Most of the town is just eye candy.

That’s why I give some props to Warhammer and especially 3K for having sièges where the AI can actually assault or defend with half a brain, even if it takes simpler maps.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean I just played a Shogun 2 campaign prior to 3K's release and that's just not at all descriptive of my experience with the climbing stuff. Dunno.

Rake the walls with ranged, scale them from multiple directions, win. TW doesn't provide enough units to properly man a Japanese castle which is designed to fire on enemies in the compound from all directions (rather than engage, retreat, engage again hence why it is so easy to cut defenders off by approaching from multiple angles), the towers kind of blow (even the Gatling gun ones in FotS), and artillery will make very short work of walls/gates regardless. There's no height range bonus so even if the defender has artillery too it's just a matter of the cannons/mangonels duking it out and the interior doesn't provide for great positioning.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The maps rule but it usually ends up being in campaign, at best, one epic fight for one wall section and then done. Most of the town is just eye candy.

That’s why I give some props to Warhammer and especially 3K for having sièges where the AI can actually assault or defend with half a brain, even if it takes simpler maps.

Yeah that's fair though.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 2, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Charity Spring posted:

Medieval 2 didn't have European castles though, it genuinely had less realistic castles than the Bretonnian ones in Warhammer lol. I'm a big castle nerd and it really annoyed me at the time. Still haven't got over it, clearly.

This is also fair and I'm hoping if there is a Medieval 3 the castles are way more accurate. I'd fuckin loooove if they recreated some actual historical ones in various provinces, too.

e: Attacking/defending something like the Krak des Chevaliers would be dope.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Moridin920 posted:

This is also fair and I'm hoping if there is a Medieval 3 the castles are way more accurate (I'd fuckin loooove if they recreated some actual historical ones in various provinces, too).

Yeah that would be incredible. Although it would make certain areas much more fun to play in (everyone would want to play in North Wales because that's where all the coolest castles would be).

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In my ideal total war world you wouldn't just get fortification upgrades as a standard package and would be able to pick and choose depending on budget and whatnot and maybe even some simple way to design it yourself.

Like you could drop 20,000 and a massive per turn upkeep to build a gently caress off strong castle in your capital, or do cheap lovely walls in a large city that is otherwise in a secure region.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

The entire concept of sieges in Warhammer is slightly absurd considering the artillery firepower, crazy levels of magic and amount of flying units across all factions. I think they should have done away with siege battles completely and just had siege-themed maps, with chokepoints, funnels, cool set-pieces gates, city ruins, etc. Walled cities should just serve to add a couple of turns of forced sieging relatively to the firepower/flyers being brought by the attackers.

That way they wouldn't have to bother about siege AI, the dumb and boring siege maps could be replaced by cool thematic maps and low-tier artillery and flyers would have a use as siege time shorteners. Interesting defensible positions and gun towers can be integrated much better into a map that doesn't have to adhere to the "walls, gates and towers" shtick.

Speaking of Warhammer, Three Kingdoms has reminded me of my biggest beef with TW:WH2: too many monstrous units. I know that they look cool and are an important part of the lore, but I don't think they had to dominate battles to the extent they do. Way too often armies end up being mostly chariots, warmachines, big monsters, small monsters, heroes and specialized units. Playing Three Kingdoms reminded me just how much I missed the maneuvers of blocks of infantry and cavalry. Outside of the early game, Warhammer doesn't have this clash of armies, instead it's all very centered on countering extremely powerful units. I guess that's what some enjoy about it, but I think limiting the number of non-infantry/cavalry things in an army would've made Warhammer a better game.

I think Three Kingdoms has a somewhat unfortunate unit progression - I've been stuck with crappy units for most of the early game, and then the emperor-tier units, reform units and level-unlocked units seem to all be available at once. Perhaps it's just a random side-effect of how I played my first campaign, and the next playthrough will have a smoother curve.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Yeah but Warhammer can have magic warding rocks that make cannon balls bounce off

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Smashing lovely peasant cavalry into the back of the Yuan's units and having them get spooked by plebs on horses and immediately breaking is one of life's simple pleasures.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Dong Zhuo's intimidation mechanic suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

can someone explain how trade influence works

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StashAugustine posted:

trade influence makes your trade agreements make more money

it's not too too important after the mid game because the number of factions is such that you don't get so many trade agreements

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

The simplest and probably only thing you need to know is the difference between your trade influence and the person your trading with’s trade influence affects how much money you get from a trade deal. The more you have vs them, the more cash you get, and vice versa.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Moridin920 posted:

In my ideal total war world you wouldn't just get fortification upgrades as a standard package and would be able to pick and choose depending on budget and whatnot and maybe even some simple way to design it yourself.

Like you could drop 20,000 and a massive per turn upkeep to build a gently caress off strong castle in your capital, or do cheap lovely walls in a large city that is otherwise in a secure region.

hell yeah give me total war: lords of the realm

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Since there was talk of Medieval 2 and a potential Medieval 3 I kind of had some thoughts and did a little writeup how I thought some of the elements from Three Kingdoms might hypothetically employed in such a title. Personally I think another game set in the Middle Ages would be more interesting if it had a narrower focus (time period, geographical) than Medieval 1 and 2, but here I'm assuming a broad focus.

• Generals/heroes and retinues like in Three Kingdoms, but not as dominating in combat (a records mode only perhaps, but I’d like to see if it can be done without the bodyguards), I think a good thing to make more vulnerable characters viable would be to restrict the ability of ranged units to target them except at short ranges (targeting a mass of men is relatively easy, a single man is not).
  • Character classes vary with culture
  • Cultures are typically broad categories that share character classes and often a unit roster, though this isn’t strictly necessary. Within areas sharing their cutlure characters will recruit from the local roster appropriate to their character class. Outside of this they will recruit from the roster that is geographically closest to them (so a French character in Morocco would recruit Iberian units, and so on).
  • There are also special mercenary company retinues, led by mercenary captain characters who have access to unique units and are hired through a special mercenary mechanic, typically mercenaries are cheap to raise and expensive to maintain, but also have other drawbacks and strengths (dependent on the traits and reputation of their commander)
  • Units are recruited from manpower, you need a certain percentage of your culture in a province to recruit a unit at normal cost if you fall below the unit will be more expensive to recruit. Mercenary retinues always have access to their units at their normal price.
  • Like in Three Kingdoms characters have access to some basic units, with more advanced versions restricted by their class and rank, areas/nations (within the broader categories of cultures) also have their unique units (jinetes for Iberians for an example) which can be recruited by any characters regardless of class, but often still dependent on rank.
  • Vassals should be important. And perhaps administrators should be more portrayed as landed vassals in that you can’t appoint them just about anywhere, and certain areas are expected to be administered by certain characters (especially if you have annexed a vassal who used to rule a province?)

Some thoughts on character classes for a Latin culture. “Latin” in the medieval sense as the “Christian West” or “Christendom”, encompasses the English, French, Italian, German, Scandinavian, Hungarian, Polish and Iberian regions, as well as the Holy Land which recruits special Outremer units if controlled by Christians. The different nations within the culture would have their own more or less unique rosters (English, French and German would be quite similar to each other for an example, but Hungarian and Iberan would be a bit more unique). As I imagine them character classes would be a bit more multiclass than in Three Kingdoms (there would for instance be much more roster variations and differences between regions and cultures), and perhaps they'd only have access to their class units and nation unique units, and not have access to the basic units of all classes.

Knight
  • Has good melee survivability with high armor and fast mount as well as powerful attacks, excels at fighting other characters 1v1, fights with lance and shield while mounted, in addition is also equipped with either mace, flail or warhammer as well as shield, or or a poleaxe, these are used when on foot.
  • Possesses encourage and other morale and attack buffs, as army commander has access to skills that boost army movement speed and raiding
  • Recruits polearm infantry and heavy cavalry

Castellan
  • Well armored, but mounts slower, barded horse and wields large shield and sword, making them good at surviving for long but not good at racking up kills or dueling.
  • Good administrator, boosts reserves and siege holdout times and provides more siege defenses. Among other benefits that generally boost a region’s defensiveness and peasantry income (castles being used to dominate the peasantry after all). Typically access to assignments that boost reserves and reduce upgrade costs and times.
  • Possesses buffs that restore fatigue, and provide missile and melee evasion.
  • Recruits spear and sword infantry as well as siege weapons.

Courtier
  • Needs better name (Bureaucrat? Simply "Noble"? Steward?)
  • Lightly armored, but mounts swift horse, poor survivability and killing power in combat
  • Excellent at assignments has access to several assignments, particularly ones that boost income from commerce and industry, among others
  • Also decent as administrators in terms of economy, especially commerce, though without the defensive bonuses of castellans.
  • Recruits ranged infantry and light cavalry.

Bishop
  • Special character class, new characters cannot be born bishops but can be appointed bishops at a cost of money and piety (or however that ends up being done). Certain offices can only be held by bishops.
  • Bishops cannot marry and married characters cannot be made bishops.
  • Decently armored and survivable in combat, but relatively low killing power, wields mace.
  • Good at assignments, access to several which boost public order and population growth. Can provide similar boosts as administrator.
  • Morale boosting combat buffs.
  • Recruits various militia type infantry infantry with blunt weapons, shields and/or simple polearms and melee cavalry (light and heavy).

Mercenary Captain
  • Mercenary character class, hired on a temprory (negotiated?) basis
  • Decent melee survivability and killing power, armed with lance, sword and shield, can also forego lance and shield for a crossbow.
  • Your regular characters won’t be mercenary captains, and mercenary captains can’t be a permanent part of your character pool, but characters in your employ might leave to become mercenaries (changing their class to mercenary captain) if they are dissatisfied and/or adventurous and such.
  • Provides good bonuses to looting and raiding for embedded army
  • Comes with full retinue, cannot be changed by player, but may differ in unit type and composition between individual characters and as they advance in rank.
  • Recruits unique crossbow (including long-ranged, powerful arbalests at higher ranks) and spear and pike units, supplemented by shock cavalry and mounted crossbowmen.
  • Should be several different types of mercenary captain, this one is kind of a late medieval Italian mercenary type. Though generally infantry armed with crossbows and spears (pikes if later medieval) should be their specialty.

Most historical kings and other rulers should be Castellans and Knights, with a couple of Courtiers (again should have a better name) as appropriate, female Knights should be rare but not totally non-existent and only men should be able to be made Bishops. So new characters born would be the the three first ones with the two others being appointed or spawning as appropriate. Generally characters can move freely within their own culture, recruiting units based on their location as I specified. Different cultures (Byzantine, Nomadic, Eastern European/Russian, Islamic, for example) would have different character classes and ways those work.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 2, 2019