Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I do hotpot at home like every week or two, and lgm is the best base by far. Even better than little sheep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Can you guys get haidilao bases outside of China?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They have it at 99 ranch sometimes. Good, but not as good in the home pot as angry lady. But like, little sheep is not nearly as good at home as it is in the restaurant and I still haven't figured out why.

Hot pot is my favorite thing ever but I'm far from close to beginning to become competent at the soup making.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

fart simpson posted:

Can you guys get haidilao bases outside of China?

Haven't seen them pop up yet in any of the Chinese supermarkets here, bit interesting to keep an eye out for.

I've eaten at Singaporean haidilao outlets a couple times (mainly the one on Orchard road) and while good, the experiences were mainly memorable through all the service touches (while waiting, pulling noodles at the table etc) rather than the quality of the soup bases.

We did bring home some excellent soup bases (proper block of congealed oil rather than powder) from a random supermarket in Chengdu, i should go figure out what the brand was and if we can get them online somewhere.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but chongqing style is butter based while rest of Sichuan is soup broth base.

Both are numbing as hell.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Why do you keep saying butter, there’s no butter in any of these

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I really want a lard hotpot now.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can never tell which kind of angry lady I'm buying. My latest jar has peanuts in it. Which is fine because I used it to make a spicy peanut sauce for Vietnamese style spring rolls.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but chongqing style is butter based while rest of Sichuan is soup broth base.

Both are numbing as hell.

Ok I know caberham will never re-educate himself here but in case anyone is following along at home, don't be led astray by this guy. What he actually means is:

Chonqing style hotpot tends to be more traditional with using tallow (牛油) as the main fat in their hot pot broth, whereas Chengdu and other parts of Sichaun (not "the rest of Sichuan" because Chongqing isn't in Sichuan province) are more varied and often use vegetable oil (清油) instead of tallow as the main fat, and also some of the spices and flavorings are a bit different between the two.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

Ok I know caberham will never re-educate himself here but in case anyone is following along at home, don't be led astray by this guy. What he actually means is:

Chonqing style hotpot tends to be more traditional with using tallow (牛油) as the main fat in their hot pot broth, whereas Chengdu and other parts of Sichaun (not "the rest of Sichuan" because Chongqing isn't in Sichuan province) are more varied and often use vegetable oil (清油) instead of tallow as the main fat, and also some of the spices and flavorings are a bit different between the two.

lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I mean the source of this is likely that nearly every single online Chinese-English dictionary is basically wrong here. The most common word I've seen, by far, for butter is 黄油 and for some reason none of the dictionaries I can find correctly translate 牛油 as tallow because it's occasionally (regionally?) also used as "butter". Dictionaries seem to get this wrong most of the time from what I can tell.

But in general when dealing with Chinese cooking you're not gonna be using butter unless it's a western-inspired recipe or something. For a very clearly not western recipe like "Chongqing hot pot" you're very likely not looking at butter and can probably assume it's tallow and most people in China will be assuming tallow when they see 牛油

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I may have asked this years ago, but does anyone have a recipe they like for 蛋餅?

I ate quite a few of them while visiting Taiwan and would like to try and make some here.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How long do szechuan peppercorns go before they start to lose their scent? Usually whole spices stay good for more or less forever but these seem to be kind of in a grey area.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I dunno since I've never had it happen, but if the ones you have are weak try getting green instead of the regular kind. 青花椒 is more fragrant and tastes a little different, I prefer it. You may also run across fresh Sichuan pepper being called green, that's also a thing but the qinghuajiao is dried, just a different variety.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Green ones are nice!

I've had them go stale when i bought a bulk pack of fairly cheap red szechuan pepper at a randim Chinese supermarket. They started out alright but quickly lost their scent/potency, especially as it took forever to work through them (this happened over a year or so, still took a long time).

Now i just buy smaller, higher quality packs of both red and green and go through them nice and fast so they're always awesome.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

wow I've never seen those giant laoganma containers here in China.

Truly america makes everything bigger.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Me either. Though now I finally know why people keep calling it chili crisp. Never could figure out what variety they were talking about.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Chinese food is better than Japanese food.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Magna Kaser posted:

wow I've never seen those giant laoganma containers here in China.

Truly america makes everything bigger.

I'm buying these in Ireland so that really is weird that you don't get in actual China - maybe it's to save on shipping costs?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not much point when you can just walk five minutes to the nearest convenience store and grab a new jar.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried to make I think it’s called 紅油抄手?

It was actually pretty good! Did the “vinegar at the bottom, pour hot oil over chili flakes and aromatics” thing and it worked quite nicely. Not a great picture but it was tasty.

I hate folding wontons tho.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've been searching for something similar to this, what I believe is referred to as biang biang noodles here, for a while. Hand pulled/"bounced" noodles, fresh chili/ginger/scallion, vinegar/soy in bottom, hot oil poured over, mix.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I got the pour-over technique from biang biang noodles, it's also in something called (I think) you po mian (油泼面), hence 油泼. I like it a lot.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How long does things like oyster sauce and fish sauce keep for? I know theres a date on the bottle, but am I generally good to go beyond that if things dont start smelling/looking weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never heard of fish sauce going bad. Oyster sauce might but I haven't seen it happen.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DJ Dizzy posted:

How long does things like oyster sauce and fish sauce keep for? I know theres a date on the bottle, but am I generally good to go beyond that if things dont start smelling/looking weird.

I don't think it is possible for either to go bad.

Fish sauce is like 15% salt by weight, it would be pretty hard for it to start spoiling.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 2, 2019

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If its not moldy it's ok but the quality/taste drops off. My parents kept tomato sauce and kraft parm in the cupboard... nah. I keep my soy and fish sauces in the fridge because I don't go through them fast enough.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 2, 2019

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Fish sauce is traditionally prepared by leaving salted fish out in the sun for about six months until it's mush, then draining off the liquid and leaving that out in the sun for a couple more weeks.

If you can manage to get that poo poo to go bad in your fridge you need to seriously rethink your lifestyle choices.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SubG posted:

Fish sauce is traditionally prepared by leaving salted fish out in the sun for about six months until it's mush, then draining off the liquid and leaving that out in the sun for a couple more weeks.

If you can manage to get that poo poo to go bad in your fridge you need to seriously rethink your lifestyle choices.

Ya fish sauce has already 'gone bad' but it makes it good.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Fair enough. My bottles are nearing their expiration date, and I was just wondering if I had to throw them out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Nah. Unless somethings growing on it, you're probably fine.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Looks like the hai di lao hotpot bases have made it to Edinburgh after all, just ran into them in a supermarket.

They also had this, which intrigues me no end:

Keen to try it soon!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Good luck. I've had something similar in China before.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
People suffered steam burns opening those packages so be careful. And don’t overfill the water line

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

pim01 posted:

Looks like the hai di lao hotpot bases have made it to Edinburgh after all, just ran into them in a supermarket.

They also had this, which intrigues me no end:

Keen to try it soon!

海底捞 MRE edition probably isn't the best idea

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

I've been searching for something similar to this, what I believe is referred to as biang biang noodles here, for a while. Hand pulled/"bounced" noodles, fresh chili/ginger/scallion, vinegar/soy in bottom, hot oil poured over, mix.

Check out noodleosophy in San Mateo. They hand pull the noodles, the cumin lamb version is amazing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Making their own noodles does sound fantastic thank you. It doesn't look like they do the 'pour hot oil over aromatics while there's vinegar/soy on the bottom, then mix' thing though?

edit: I missed it, they do! It's the "sizzling garlic" last option on the menu.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Reposting since it's more appropriate here

Anybody know how to preserve bean sprouts? They turn brown in the freezer and don’t last very long either way. I’ve never tried blanching before freezing but I fear I just have to learn how to eat them faster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They just don't last very long no matter what you do. Eat 'em fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish I could get them in quantities smaller than "a loving trash bag" but I have to eat fistfuls with literally every meal to not waste them.