Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Depressing to hear, but thanks for at least confirming what those of us who were interested in the game but weren't interested in posting dank memes to this thread suspected for a long time now.

The only suitable way to end this thread is for Bongo Bill to compile all of his Barkley alternate spellings as the final post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlqSIxqhJx0

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
at least chaos dunk made it as a voiced line in dota 2

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I can't speak for everyone else, but this murderhead is experiencing some true doom

im just gonna go chaos dunk off a bridge

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

It seems pretty clear from hiratio's post that at some point after the original team had run out of money they had to re-examine their priorities. Making a game takes many hours of hard work. Free time that would otherwise be spent with friends, family, and other things would have to be given up. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to make that kind of sacrifice. I'm sure it was a hard decision to make.

yes i'm aware of what free time is.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The REAL Goobusters posted:

at least chaos dunk made it as a voiced line in dota 2

https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/524751424757202944

OK, This Is Epic

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I think the least ToG could do would be to just generate Steam keys for backers that give access to the original Barkley and an exclusive pixel art rendition of goatse

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Thank you, Hiratio. I think I can finally change my avatar now.

Also, the ToG site still offers preorders promising the game for early 2014.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I would unironically be okay with a released text dump and art assets.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
[Ugh][Bad]barkley 2 is finally dead

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

:yikes:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Read the replies to die instantly

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

lol if even Gearbox said no to Barkley 2

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Someone should post the news for the poor saps in the kickstarter comments. I'm too lazy.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
B2 might not have come out before SC, but at least it had the dignity to die before SC... that counts for something right?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gyra_Solune posted:

[Ugh][Bad]barkley 2 is finally dead

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'm curious who this person holding the reigns of barkley 2 is, since it apparently isn't any of the obvious names, i.e. cboy, bort, lazrool.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

drat.
At least Frankie's horror rpg is going great.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

No publisher would have ever touched this game because Charles Barkley is a real person and using his name assumedly costs a shitload of money.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

To be fair, "needlessly complicated systems, obsolete systems, and totally broken systems" are exactly what I thought they were going for, intentionally.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Thank god we finally got some closure from this. The project was "obviously" never happening, but the thick layers of irony and jokes meant I had a small part of my brain that still thought this was all a part of the plan

I am now free to move onto the afterlife

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I...

I STI...

I STILL...

B....

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I think what I'm most sad about is the fact that I'm going to have start saying "video games" again

Vidcons will never die. Semper games

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

glad to hear ToG is gonna hold off on releasing until the game is perfect

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

casting prayer

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm only looking forward to...no games now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah but due to Barkley 2 being an actual commercial product all of the actual NBA and Space Jam references had to be cut so none of that would have been in the game anyways. Which is another reason the kickstarter was a bad idea.
they probably would have had to cut stuff like the save points that quote random forums posts too

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I'm only looking forward to...no games now.

shame, I hear dark souls 2's looking like it might be pretty good

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

As someone with no real connection to the project but who does know some of the people who worked on it personally, I am going to caution against taking a single person's brief account of events as the final word. I probably shouldn't even say that much, but I've seen brain geniuses on twitter renewing their declaration of the kickstarter as a "scam" based on the updates posted itt, which I find infuriating considering how many hours have been put into the project with such a meager budget.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Maybe if we had literally any other info to go by. His account doesn't make it out to be a scam, just a mess, which like we pretty much already assumed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it does not seem like the people involved set out with the express goal of tricking people out of their money, but it does seem like they had no real plan on what to do with that money or how that money would translate into a product. The evidence that would support that theory would be the fact that no game.

sabbathi
Sep 20, 2017
some dreams are just too beautiful

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh well, what next on my kickstarter list? Looks like I should be getting my Andrew Hussie signed copy of the Homestuck video game on CD Rom, 5 years ago.

Patware posted:

I...

I STI...

I STILL...

B....

What were they trying to say? I still B-ball?

I still B-ball too, friend.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Ah, that classic scam where you put in hundreds of hours of skilled labor for free to own your mark.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Pretending to make a funny basketball video game to own the Libs

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Can I go to the hospital and get admitted to the mental health unit because of this or will they tell me to go dunk my head in medical waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
lain no vengeant