Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I also asked in the FireTV thread, but does anyone here know more about the Insignia FireTV Edition? It looks like the 55" (4K HDR) model is $330 at Best Buy.

I have a FireTV stick I've fiddled with on and off, but it never had a very snappy interface or very consistent wifi. Have these problems been addressed in the built in sets by chance? I was considering an Apple TV, but then my actual TV blew an inverter or something, so if these sets perform well enough, I might skip the Apple TV and kill two birds with one stone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NofrikinfuN posted:

I also asked in the FireTV thread, but does anyone here know more about the Insignia FireTV Edition? It looks like the 55" (4K HDR) model is $330 at Best Buy.

I have a FireTV stick I've fiddled with on and off, but it never had a very snappy interface or very consistent wifi. Have these problems been addressed in the built in sets by chance? I was considering an Apple TV, but then my actual TV blew an inverter or something, so if these sets perform well enough, I might skip the Apple TV and kill two birds with one stone.

Just get the Roku TCL sets instead. Nice snappy interface and you can do Google services since Amazon's TVs forbid it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

NofrikinfuN posted:

I actually got one of these when they were on sale for $250 a month ago. It's fine for $250-330, like it works as advertised, but honestly if you can spring for a set with local dimming like the TCL 6 series then I would.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rastor posted:

I actually got one of these when they were on sale for $250 a month ago. It's fine for $250-330, like it works as advertised, but honestly if you can spring for a set with local dimming like the TCL 6 series then I would.

Is local dimming the contrast control zones? It looks like that model would be an extra $200, so I will definitely have to think about it. Also, there's a lot of chatter in the Amazon reviews about inconsistent quality, is that something that is more or less sorted out, or ongoing?

BonoMan posted:

Just get the Roku TCL sets instead. Nice snappy interface and you can do Google services since Amazon's TVs forbid it.

Is Roku derivative of Android in the same way that the Fire OS stuff is? Likely to more or less offer the same apps?

I read that the Youtube app is supposed to be coming back to FireTV, but yeah, it's kind of alarming they pulled it in the first place.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

NofrikinfuN posted:

Is local dimming the contrast control zones? It looks like that model would be an extra $200, so I will definitely have to think about it. Also, there's a lot of chatter in the Amazon reviews about inconsistent quality, is that something that is more or less sorted out, or ongoing?

Is Roku derivative of Android in the same way that the Fire OS stuff is? Likely to more or less offer the same apps?

I read that the Youtube app is supposed to be coming back to FireTV, but yeah, it's kind of alarming they pulled it in the first place.

Roku is nice and agnostic. Offers pretty much everything because it doesn't have some petty parental company calling the shots.

And it's more than just YouTube... for me it's the Google Play store. I have a lot of movies in that ecosystem and need access to it!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah Roku is not Android based but it is pretty much the most apps in the TV world

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I'm looking to get a TCL 50DP648, I haven't bought a TV in years and have an old Sony Bravia HD. However I now have a PS4 Pro so want a 4k tv to go with it. I take it from some recent posts in here the OP advice about avoiding Asian brands I've never heard of can be discounted regarding TCL?

Also, if anyone has tips on wallmounting a tv and concealing a games console dyring the process that would be awesome because my wife is not happy about that happening unless the PS4 is invisible after wall mounting (currently everything is on an old stand).

The recommendations for TCL in this thread have mainly been for their 6-Series. The model you listed is not that, and a quick Google search reveals it seems inferior in a lot of different ways (edge lighting instead of local dimming, no Dolby Vision, not Roku). One thing that's important to realize when shopping for a new tv, look for specific well-reviewed models, and do not rely on brand name. Many tv companies have amazing tvs and terrible tvs out for sale simultaneously (LG is a good example of this).

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

qbert posted:

The recommendations for TCL in this thread have mainly been for their 6-Series. The model you listed is not that, and a quick Google search reveals it seems inferior in a lot of different ways (edge lighting instead of local dimming, no Dolby Vision, not Roku). One thing that's important to realize when shopping for a new tv, look for specific well-reviewed models, and do not rely on brand name. Many tv companies have amazing tvs and terrible tvs out for sale simultaneously (LG is a good example of this).

Thanks for the heads up. I have done seem reading and it seems the EU TCL 6 series is inferior to US one which sucks!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65R615 $680 shipped with code

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
What is the difference between the sony x800g and x850g tv's? I see two that look the same other than the 850 is $70 more, but I can't tell what the feature difference is?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Nice. My refund check from TCL comes in today. Might have to get this one!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

take me you ANIMAL posted:

What is the difference between the sony x800g and x850g tv's? I see two that look the same other than the 850 is $70 more, but I can't tell what the feature difference is?

Looks like Dolby Vision and native 120 Hz for the 850.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
How is the tcl 6 series with sports? I was looking at the Sony because of the motionflow xr 960 is supposed to be good for watching sports. But if the 6 series does well in that regard I might go with that one. I'm moving up from a 46" Samsung c6500 from I think 2011 or 2010 to a 55" in one of those two for the living room.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

take me you ANIMAL posted:

How is the tcl 6 series with sports? I was looking at the Sony because of the motionflow xr 960 is supposed to be good for watching sports. But if the 6 series does well in that regard I might go with that one. I'm moving up from a 46" Samsung c6500 from I think 2011 or 2010 to a 55" in one of those two for the living room.

Here's the TCL ratings, it's got a decent score in sports:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018

Theres an LG TV that does slightly better on sports on value (cheaper than the TCL) but seems to lose on the other categories:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/um7300?beaten_size=55%22

If sports is your sole thing, sure, but for overall performance the TCL is the better buy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a Sony and watch a fair amount of sports with 100% of the motion interpolation turned off and it looks good.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Monday morning I turned on my C8 and noticed a line in it. LG denied my warranty claim (it's <1yr old but I bought it through Firstclasstv's on eBay) so I'm working with SquareTrade to hopefully get it covered.

I sent them a close up picture of the line in the picture test mode but I noticed something else looked off too. Anyone else with a LG OLED care to take a look at their picture test and see if it looks like this (absent the line, of course). This is all over the screen, I've never noticed it before because I watch the TV from 7 feet away, not 7 inches.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

LordOfThePants posted:

Monday morning I turned on my C8 and noticed a line in it. LG denied my warranty claim (it's <1yr old but I bought it through Firstclasstv's on eBay) so I'm working with SquareTrade to hopefully get it covered.

I sent them a close up picture of the line in the picture test mode but I noticed something else looked off too. Anyone else with a LG OLED care to take a look at their picture test and see if it looks like this (absent the line, of course). This is all over the screen, I've never noticed it before because I watch the TV from 7 feet away, not 7 inches.

Forgot the image in my original post -

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Dear Walmart,

Please change the demo on your tv sets so I don't spend three minutes staring at closeups of a surfer girls butt when I am trying to assess picture quality. I have plenty of time to feel like a creep in the privacy of my home.

Regards

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing you can accurately assess in Walmart is if you like the bezel and stand of the TV.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing you can accurately assess in Walmart is if you like the bezel and stand of the TV.

Fair enough. I wanted to see one of those series 6 sets, but they only had a series 4. :(

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

NofrikinfuN posted:

Fair enough. I wanted to see one of those series 6 sets, but they only had a series 4. :(

Best Buy should have the series 6 if you wanna take a look, and the lighting there should be better to assess.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Going to go tomorrow and look at the series 6 TCL and Sony 850G. Loved the 850G when I saw it in the store nest to a Samsung LED, but will take a second look. My concern going in is the limited viewing angle of the VA display since we have an L-shaped couch in the living room, although we mostly view it straight out, if we have guests over they would have a sharper angle on it. We also have four windows in the living room, including two large ones sitting right behind the couch, although we only get direct light into the living room in the evening for about an hour. Anything else I should check while I'm there? And would a measurement of the angle from my living room wall give me enough to go off when looking in the store? It would be about 40 degrees from center of where we want to put the tv to a person sitting in the most forward seat of the couch.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
That sounds like such a literal edge case that I wouldn't be worried about it. Personally I think the fuss about VA panels being bad from an angle is mostly overstated for most people's usage.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

There's just no reason to buy an IPS panel TV, ever. When you go from VA to IPS you're swapping out a TV that looks bad at an angle for a TV that looks like poo poo all the time.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
We have an L shaped couch and a VA screen and its fine. I move to the worst seat when we have company and I am more annoyed at looking longways across the tv than any brightness or color issues.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
TCL 55R617 - $439 (Rakuten "Member Price") - https://www.rakuten.com/shop/electronic-express/product/55R617/

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

65" LG B8 vs 55" C9 for roughly the same price, which do you choose and why?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Depends on how picky you are with picture quality. In general, I would always recommend going with the larger screen size for the bigger impact/benefit. If you're going to micro analyze image and upscaling/motion quality the C9 would be a better bet with it's improved processor, but I don't really think you'd know a difference in casual viewing. HDMI 2.1 on the C9 is also not really needed for much right now and by the time you'd need it you could probably just get a newer tv.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I would go with the bigger screen. It's going to have a much bigger impact on your viewing experience than the relatively minor improvements between models.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I really want to jump on this, but Im scared to death of having to play the panel lottery and try to do shipping returns...

And on Slickdeals everyone talks about how it takes 4-5 returns to get a good one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
People on Slickdeals are actually insane.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" C8 $1699 shipped with code

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

SourKraut posted:

I really want to jump on this, but Im scared to death of having to play the panel lottery and try to do shipping returns...

And on Slickdeals everyone talks about how it takes 4-5 returns to get a good one.
Dont do this to yourself. Get it, set it up, maybe configure it a bit based on rtings recommendations, and then just watch what you normally watch. Dont set out to find something wrong with it. If you go in with that attitude, youre p much guaranteed to love it. Thats what I did and Im sure I dont have a perfect panel but Ive only maaaybe noticed something odd 1 time. I love my TV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crestfallen posted:

Dont do this to yourself. Get it, set it up, maybe configure it a bit based on rtings recommendations, and then just watch what you normally watch. Dont set out to find something wrong with it. If you go in with that attitude, youre p much guaranteed to love it. Thats what I did and Im sure I dont have a perfect panel but Ive only maaaybe noticed something odd 1 time. I love my TV.

It sounds like the 55" sets aren't having as many bad panel problems so I'm even happier with my choise now.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
My local Costco had the TCL 65" 5 series on clearance for $440 today. drat tempting, but I ended up passing since I want to prioritize contrast when I finally replace my plasma.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Thx dudes, went with the 65" LG B8. Sucks to pay huge dollars for an older tv, but that's life down under.

Also got the LG sk9y sound bar with rear speakers. Might not be as good as my old Onkyo system but my new place is tiny so even a subwoofer is pushing it.

Now to shop for a fridge, washer and dryer for my rental.... Australia is weird. Moving companies (aka removalists) must make a fortune here.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rhyno posted:

It sounds like the 55" sets aren't having as many bad panel problems so I'm even happier with my choise now.

My 55" is the one that had the super noticeable jailbars. That's really the only time you get a bad panel. The other gray uniformity issues are pretty much not noticeable while watching actual content. The jailbar defect definitely is though.

Something else I noticed on every single 6 series panel I've seen though is defined corner vignetting. What's up with that? It's on every single panel I've seen "good" and "bad." So it seems clearly part of the manufacturing process.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My mother in law just gave us this

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN40J5200-40-Inch-1080p-Smart/dp/B00WR292JE

And this

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P46U1-46-Inch-Plasma/dp/B001UE6M9I/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Samsung is going in the wife's office, the Panasonic will see duty in the master.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BonoMan posted:

Something else I noticed on every single 6 series panel I've seen though is defined corner vignetting. What's up with that? It's on every single panel I've seen "good" and "bad." So it seems clearly part of the manufacturing process.

You answered your own question basically, it's an outcome of the manufacturing process for the 6 series. Because the vast majority of consumers will never notice or care about the corners (or even jailbars / non-uniformity) there is little incentive to improve the process. I don't know about why specifically it happens during manufacturing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Something Offal posted:

You answered your own question basically, it's an outcome of the manufacturing process for the 6 series. Because the vast majority of consumers will never notice or care about the corners (or even jailbars / non-uniformity) there is little incentive to improve the process. I don't know about why specifically it happens during manufacturing.

It's so weird because the vignetting, unlike any gray uniformity issues, is present 100% of the time on all panels. Like, it looks like shadowing more than panel application process stuff.

Surprisingly that didn't bother me at all.

Anyway going to BestBuy to pick up my replacement 55r617 tomorrow!