Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Stairmaster posted:

why the ufck did the movie go to boston when washington dc had more interesting things for the monsters to smash in their battle god this movies so bad

Because the New England Patriots and Boston deserve ruin. They were all drawn to Bill as the Alpha in actuality, not the ORCA. Brady's kinda okay except his politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

why the ufck did the movie go to boston when washington dc had more interesting things for the monsters to smash in their battle god this movies so bad

Do you know how small the loving buildings in Washington DC are?

120 meter + kaiju rampaging around would be them just stepping on tiny rear end inconsequential buildings

You want Godzilla and Ghidorah to throw down and take skyscrapers with them

You don't want them to stub their toe on lego bricks.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mulva posted:

It's a Godzilla movie, everyone's drawn to the green monster in the end.

:perfect:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I am lurking certain corners of the internet where some fans are upset that other fans are shipping kaiju.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffle House posted:

I am lurking certain corners of the internet where some fans are upset that other fans are shipping kaiju.

Okay

Okay

Okay

Let's take a moment. First I want to say, I do not ship any kaiju any way. I find how the movie handled Godzilla and Mothra cute, but I also have to laugh about it because literally every single time except for Final Wars when Adult Mothra and Godzilla met, they would fight, often with Godzilla killing her or her kicking his rear end.

But for most people, they are not going to have seen 33 previous Godzilla films and understand that Adult Mothra and Godzilla being allies has happened all of once prior to this one. Nor should they care.

Because people should be allowed to ship and come up with art for whatever dumb bullshit their heart wants to do. No one should get mad that a person is liking a thing 'the wrong way' (unless it's twisting it into hateful propaganda that would harm others but that's neither here nor there)

The people that are getting mad at kaiju being shipped together need to grow the gently caress up and shut the gently caress down. Kaiju and romance has been a thing literally since 1933 with King mother loving Kong and has even been a major part of the Toho library since 1956 with Rodan.

More, Godzilla and Mothra have been shipped together forever. Probably by Japanese people the moment Mothra came out in theaters.

Shippers are going to ship, leave them alone, let them enjoy what they enjoy. They aren't hurting you and you don't have to pay attention to them.

Also Mothra and Godzilla's relationship in this movie is loving great.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mulva posted:

It's a Godzilla movie, everyone's drawn to the green monster in the end.

:golfclap:

Well played, sir.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I am 100% ok with people shipping stuff, but it will never not be funny to me that people get mad about it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, like, I feel like this movie does totally have flaws in the human aspect, but if you didn't have a big stupid grin on your face for literally every second of monster screentime you might genuinely be a bad person with no soul

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcfB3z0_-0

All the Godzilla footage from G 2014. Thematically the way it's shot in 2014 by only getting glimpses or not dwelling on the monsters outside of telling the story it kind of evokes to me like staring at a nuclear explosion, like you don't, can't see it directly or only can catch glimpse or effect of it. The way it's filmed also feels more horror and less action-like. That's, imo, the main problem in some regards to KOTM which was to introduce animal/pack mentality to something that is a force of nature or manifestation of a disaster event. It doesn't work for what Godzilla is, it lessens it, but in my opinion can work for Kong since I don't think there's the same history or themes. It's awesome to see the monsters go at it but the pace and the ambiance of the conflict feels more traditional than the way Gareth and his Cinematographer shot it in G 2014 and that allowed things to breathe and settle. KOTM moves too fast except for seeing the effects of Rodan's flight and chase. Complain about the dull human part but in my opinion it was done right because it gave context to the Titans and didn't over power or take equal weight. Which is also a problem in KOTM, in my opinion. Bryan Cranston provides all the emotional weight and drive the movie needs and everything that happens is an execution of his will after death.

Also in my opinion, G2014 had some great cues to its score, like when Godzilla turns in the dust and there's actually a sort of silence to his movement. It's memorable.

Instead of a bunch of exposition telling you that Godzilla is a god, the film simply depicts him that way.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Instead of a bunch of exposition telling you that Godzilla is a god, the film simply depicts him that way.

Yes.

Also, today I learned that "shipping" is a thing. The hell did this come from?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gatts posted:

Yes.

How the gently caress are you a 2001 reg and don't know what shipping is? What do you even use the internet for?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gatts posted:

Yes.

its literally older then the internet, people were doing shipping for og star trek at conventions and poo poo back in the 70's

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Good news: Box Office Mojo says KOTM is #1!

Bad news: it's performing at the low end of the studios' expectations.

Saw it, pretty decent IMHO, wouldn't refuse a repeat viewing.

Hope there's something left of the GodzillaCave if only to see if a Titan version of Alfred shows up next movie (Your slippers, sah? I imagine Godzilla prefers the big fuzzy pair with Mothra heads on them)

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Gatts posted:

Yes.

It's like discussing characters in a "who would win" contest but instead of fighting they gently caress.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gatts posted:

Yes.

Kirk and Spock.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mandatory lesbian posted:

its literally older then the internet, people were doing shipping for og star trek at conventions and poo poo back in the 70's

Can someone fill and idiot in on what shipping is? I've literally never heard this term.

I just realized KOTM didn't have a shot that was as good as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcfB3z0_-0&t=176s

The light piano in darkened silence as a flash of lighting reveals Godzilla's silhouette as he comes through the fog is just god drat brilliant.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

The light piano in darkened silence as a flash of lighting reveals Godzilla's silhouette as he comes through the fog is just god drat brilliant.

Second to the absolute silence from everyone the moment he steps into frame at the airport.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shipping is pathetic.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can someone fill and idiot in on what shipping is? I've literally never heard this term.

It's from "relationship", basically fans fantasizing/producing fan content/rooting for unofficial romances between fictional characters. It's a weirdly huge part of some fandoms.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

Basically really wanting two fictional characters to hook up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It’s popular fanfic pairings (relationshipping) - it’s also called “slash” - Spock/McCoy, et al (and this goes way back - Shakespeare’s Falstaff was such a popular character with London audiences that he basically wrote his own fanfic, Merry Wives of Windsor, in response).

Also, as it turns out I stepped out to go to the bathroom right before the mom’s televised speech, which explains some of the confusion for me. On the other hand, I’ve gone pee during important moments in other films, and I’ve never had this much trouble piecing together what I missed.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 3, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

"Ship" as in "relationship"; it originates with old Star Trek fan fiction that, well, paired characters up in relationships and stuff, and I guess people started using it as a verb and it entered the general lexicon.

I'm kind of surprised that there are people who post here who aren't familiar with the term; it's been around for a while, particularly on the Internet.

Also, just saw the movie. I enjoyed it, even if I think some parts could have been done better. Might post more detailed thoughts later.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
People can get really loving intense about it too, getting into flamewars over which ship ongoing franchises should make official and throwing fits when they fail to materialize. Add to that that a lot of them try to paint their particular ship as more progressive or somehow better in some immaterial way and it makes you really hope that they're all teenagers because the alternative is too sad to contemplate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Saw this movie and thought it was loving incredible, and I really gotta give the animators credit for being able to communicate so effectively that Gidorah is the single smuggest piece of poo poo in the known universe. also extremely happy they kept his original origin of being a Terraforming alien hellmonster, was worried they might chicken out on that.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just realized KOTM didn't have a shot that was as good as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkcfB3z0_-0&t=176s

All three monsterverse movies have amazing shots. KOTM is just cut like a JJ Abrams movie so you never really get a good look at them.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all. Like I get having to piss during a movie every once in awhile because that’s how it goes. Falling asleep or going to get food though seems like it’s at odds with caring enough to have an opinion at all.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
2014 was better. :colbert:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Peacoffee posted:

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all.

I paid 5 dollars for my ticket.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I had two thoughts about this movie:

1 Needed more Mothra.
2 Drake should be in prison for texting Millie Bobby Brown.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Second to the absolute silence from everyone the moment he steps into frame at the airport.

Hell yeah, it's so good. The pan up to his super pissed off face before his iconic roar was dope as all hell. They really built up Godzilla well and demonstrated his size and power when poo poo gets quiet, the whole film goes "Shut the gently caress up, it's Godzilla."

Roland Jones posted:

"Ship" as in "relationship"; it originates with old Star Trek fan fiction that, well, paired characters up in relationships and stuff, and I guess people started using it as a verb and it entered the general lexicon.

I'm kind of surprised that there are people who post here who aren't familiar with the term; it's been around for a while, particularly on the Internet.

I've heard of the concept, since it's everywhere, I just didn't know it had a term. Ya learn something new everyday, and now I'm sure I'll see it all over the internet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" seems to be the most American possible take on the kaiju genre. I read it as having the thesis that Man Is The Real Monster, but in a particular way. Specifically, following its atomic apotheosis, humankind has grown so powerful that it can stand coequal with the monsters, and even be seen as a possible claimant to the throne (recall that the voice that Ghidorah most wanted to destroy was coming from the Orca, a blending of Godzilla's voice with a human voice). Humans have the power to fight the Titans with their Oxygen Destroyer, which is not even a secret or anything, and they have the power to shape the environment for good or bad like Titans do. It exhorts that we must take seriously the responsibilities of dominion - that we should be a benevolent protector-king like Godzilla, upholding the order of nature, rather than a tyrannical destroyer-king like Ghidorah, destroying all in arrogant rapacity. Everything the Titans do to heal the planet in the end titles is something we could do today, if we chose. The perspective of a capital of an empire is embedded in it, right down to the way all the disaster scenes are choked with thick gray dust.

Could do with a hell of a lot less Estranged Alcoholic Dad Mainpain but I had a good time.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
We felt like it would have worked a bit better if mom's powerpoint presentation had been part of the Monarch inquiry earlier on - avoids having her lecture Monarch's top researchers on kaiju biology, introduces the motivation before she undertakes radical action to execute it, maybe have the authorities laugh it off to show that there are other avenues she's exhausted before teaming up with Jonah, etc.

Cut the dad entirely.

I think the movie's a bit of a mess, but I really appreciate how the Legendary universe feels like it can accommodate a lot of the Showa-style wacky stuff - lost civilizations, mystical Mothra twins, superplanes, hollow earth, aliens, whatever - while still acting on the top level as if it's got a grounded, realistic palette. Like, we're going to have a giant gorilla punch Godzilla soon but we'll comport ourselves as if this is still Earth-as-you-know-it. It feels a bit like Ellis's Planetary - the world has always been a very strange place, and we just haven't noticed yet.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
I thought the 2014 godzilla was a pretty good movie but i left the theatre about an hour into this one. They really dumbed it down in an obvious way

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

As someone who hasn’t watched Stranger Things and therefore has never seen MBB act in anything this definitely crossed my mind. She’s like, 15! And looks like she’s 15. The thought of “that’s the girl a grown-rear end man with a bastard child from a stripper has been texting about boys. Holy poo poo” definitely crossed my mind.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

1 Needed more Mothra.

Lol I had the same thought about Drake.

It kills me how much NBA talk during the finals has been about that perv.

I also agree on Mothra, but what we got was pretty great. When she takes out Rodan I cheered haha

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

1 Needed more Mothra.

Best review I’ve read yet tbh

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SD87 posted:

I thought the 2014 godzilla was a pretty good movie but i left the theatre about an hour into this one. They really dumbed it down in an obvious way

Peacoffee posted:

With how much movies cost it astounds me people pay to go and then walk out at all. Like I get having to piss during a movie every once in awhile because that’s how it goes. Falling asleep or going to get food though seems like it’s at odds with caring enough to have an opinion at all.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
I live down the street from an amc theatre and I have their movie pass so if i am seeing a movie solo and it sucks i am jettin and its nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol I had the same thought about Drake.

It kills me how much NBA talk during the finals has been about that perv.

I also agree on Mothra, but what we got was pretty great. When she takes out Rodan I cheered haha

Wasn't feeling Rodan being turned into a Starscream type jobber but Mothra owns, the kids especially went nuts for her.