Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
2 strokes can get the job done

The tortoise made a bid for freedom, and I just can't get a proper read on his intentions- a bid for freedom, or an urge to destroy humanity and it's works- both feel apt, and I feel them too.

Eh up ducks.

The beast, assorted bits for aforementioned and 30 litres of water (I counted this time)

I realised its been a few years and many hours of running and this thing hasn't seen a service and I also hosed up and let fuel sit, so I gave everything a once over and will bring it home for some TLC (probably CrazySexyCool, didnt like FanMail as much). Still started on the second pull, after multiple months sat.

And before the main event, some drinks for the new plants and nursery. A bit over 4x7 litre cans, so its a 30 litre unit. My 10 litre plastic can got brittle and sadly died, so I guess I'm shopping soon.

And one for the worker too

I stuffed up on decent before and after stuff but this is before

And these all happened during and after

Previously I cut back heavily and it was stupid- I just need a small lawn area for camping, around the home area and my paths

And a bit around the bushes and trees and such- all 40 or so

At one point I suited up and dealt with periwinkle and I think I only ended up with 2 or 3 small chemical burns

My incredibly unhealthy but tasty lunch of pork and rice, but with the amount of water I was already drinking and sweating out the salt content was probably needed patently ignoring the lethal levels of everything else

The bird balls don't seem to come with nutritional information facts but the birds can decide for themselves

The surprise was the boat from China turned up and a knockoff flexy tripod thing, so I brought it and one of my cameras to try-

Unfortunately I only thought to do it at the end of the day, and the birds I hoped to snap were roosting and I had little energy to do it. I'm also out of practice/ spoilt by camera phones and tapping a screen to focus. Some should be near duplicate shots of phonecam ones elsewhere in the post for comparison but I have only seen them properly on my phone so far

I also have an adapter to mount phones to it, which gives me some nice options.

Then it was home time

And at home, I need to get along with this strimmer and not get seduced by other proj.....

Oh, well okay then

Its one of these

Look at that design aesthetic

Yup, its an early 90's strimmer I got asked to fix/will have access to. Apparently used only 3 times ever then kept in a shed.

Fuel lines and primer were utter toast but the fuel tank at least was emptied and seems clean

I got stuck in a little bit more, and it has spark and surprisingly little rust. Engine turns nicely but pull starter sounds noisy on the return so it needs to come apart so we can see whats up with that, and I ordered new spark and parts for the fuel system.

The blue one is going back together with the hope that the carb doesn't need a rebuild yet

With new spark of course

Old fuel tank is gradually getting there and new lines/filter/grommet are ready and fit well

And I sized up some of the screws and bolts that were too rusty to re-use and then ordered some of them too

The spuds are now at the point of wanting fertiliser I guess, so I need to go buy some. And that's about now, so

More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Just amazing, as always!
:)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

Just amazing, as always!
:)

As always- thanks :) love knowing people are following along too

skolstrejk för klimatet

We start off in the normal way, with the pretty things

And then the supply and food things- a few foods and drinks brought in and why the gently caress did I never think to reheat my mcdonalds like this before! sheer luxury!

My kids elected to withdraw their labour from school today and with no local events we went to try and plant things and feed bugs instead. I hosed up on pictures, but there were lots of bugs around the bug feeding test area so this will be repeated.

We were hoping for 6 trees in the ground today, but the ground itself after multiple dry days was far too hard to dig easily :(

Currants, cherries and berries. All doing well :)

The grass is growing through again and there's a pleasing number of flowers and bugs around :)

So we explored around a bunch of places instead

and found a large out of place looking large rock, and with some spadework found a rusty old horseshoe underneath. I'm guessing many years ago a horse was buried there? We marked the site otherwise, and are borrowing the rock from a potential mystery dead horse.

The bird things. I forgot water, so thats water from my own drinking water :colbert:

The stove/bbq area awaits heavy labours

We stayed a few hours and mainly just enjoyed and appreciated and made plans before bailing out for home.

On the homefront I slapped the fuel tank back together on blue, put a few new bolts in places

Then outside, I used fresh fuel to flood the carb out a bit, and let it sit in the sun for an hour or two. After a few pulls it fired and then kept sputtering away- it chugged and vibrated hard for a few minutes then just started purring :getin: - gave it a quick and successful test around the garden but then stopped as the strimming head and linkage between the two parts and such haven't been properly investigated. A few more parts and some tidying up and it should join the ranks properly :hai:

I finally got the tomato production machines into action- into ground and bag formations

and checked over my spuds and got the ranks in order- every spud planted put up at least one plant above ground, some multiple. Gonna need to learn to make potcheen at this rate!

Speaking of which, my garlic patch that was formerly the spud patch keeps on sprouting more and spud plants that then need removal

And all under watchful and curious eyes

Oh and the McCulloch strimer got a new spark, and the fuel primer/lines I need came through this morning- but I'm off on holiday for a week or so now, so everything is on hold-

More in a week or so I guess :hai:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

0658 hours zulu

I woke early but left late and didn't think I would make it for my desired 7am start but I endeavoured and made it with some backup too.

Neither of us like early starts but hot food helps a lot

The only big goal of the day was watering stuff that might need to be watered. One new tree was looking especially thirsty and got what it needed, nursery too.

Oh and the bird things

Cleared one bird area up a bit too. Out of balls now. Thats problematic. Gotta remember to check your balls, gentle reader.

Then we went and checked to make sure we have some biodiversity left in stock

Yup we got some biodiversitys. At least 3 and a bit of them.

All quite pretty too

What up Cass :)

Also, what up fruit.

I went around the bushes and tucked bits in like the grapevine and broke a few small bits learning and also got some snapped bits to try and clone

And the answer to will the grape vine fruit this year is gently caress yeah it will :colbert:

This was growing on an oak and infested with ants. Curious.

Goals met and still tired from travelling back home yesterday, we bailed.

On the homefront, the spuds went wild, and most of my plants lived-

though there was a catfight in the garlic patch and also a lot of weeds everywhere- I have work to do

Should end up with some nice garlic and onions in a month or two though- a soup is in order I deem

I had a grand time away looking at boats and sand and such, and return fresh and ready for war on climate change. Up this week- sorting the strimmers out, then some work to prepare for special guests. More soon but tomorrow I'm sitting round in my undies playing computer games :hai:

Apologies for any formatting or grammatical errors but awful app is broken on the preview bit and I refuse to switch out of greenpos mode and also I'm now gonna go drink import heineken lots

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

D d d double post

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 2, 2019

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

This was growing on an oak and infested with ants. Curious.

Looks like an oak gall. Basically, a growth that certain species of wasp use to shelter and feed their larva. Ants probably thought it looked like a sweet party house after the original occupant moved out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Bees on Wheat posted:

Looks like an oak gall. Basically, a growth that certain species of wasp use to shelter and feed their larva. Ants probably thought it looked like a sweet party house after the original occupant moved out.

Ta :)

Its different from the other galls I normally see which tend towards a hard sphere. The ants were indeed partying down on it, and next time I might try and figure out if its food or shelter or both

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

DesperateDan posted:

Ta :)

Its different from the other galls I normally see which tend towards a hard sphere. The ants were indeed partying down on it, and next time I might try and figure out if its food or shelter or both

I asked the local ant expert:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3886441&pagenumber=7&perpage=40#post495601251

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Thats an amazing thread

Only now I want to try eating some too, and see if I also feel inclined to party like an ant

If I never make it back to post again, I hope it at least tastes good- and you goons will know I'm raving it up with some ants, in this life or the next

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

DesperateDan posted:

If I never make it back to post again, I hope it at least tastes good- and you goons will know I'm raving it up with some ants, in this life or the next

I have it on good authority that they taste very bitter and unpleasant. Good authority being the kid who picked one and tried to eat it during a nature walk for one of my college courses. :v:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Oh my god, there's an ant thread? I love that, and I also love watching and learning about ants and also having them stay away from my living space and plants but mostly learning about ants. Very cool.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ants are cool! ...So long as they are not in my house. There's a thread about toxins and the plants and animals that produce them, but it's been awhile since it updated.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have it on good authority that they taste very bitter and unpleasant. Good authority being the kid who picked one and tried to eat it during a nature walk for one of my college courses. :v:

I'm hoping to become an authority on that myself but this week I have been

stuck at home

A variety of boring things kept me at home and then I was meant to go today but I ate something yesterday that I have regretted ever since so nope for today

The yellow one got 2 decade old crap cleaned out of the head and 2 new fuel lines/filter then I found out that the line from the return on the carb to the pump is .5mm smaller for... reasons, so it got put aside while a replacement came.

The blue one (Brunhilde?) had a busted up guard, but rather than just buy a cheap replacement I got out the zipties and epoxy and bodged it together.

Then I replaced some missing and old hardware with shiny new bits so it tightens up nicely.

Out back, the plants are doing pretty good

Seems one type of spud has purple flowers, one white. They don't last long at all- each flower just lasts a day or two before dying off.

Hope the strawbs at the field are doing this well they won't be

The tomatoes are doing well- think the ones in the ground are a touch larger, and all remain untouched

Onions might be done soon, need to read up a bit, check when they were planted and see

The apple, cherry and rose seeds I cold scarified got started off

The thinner fuel line came later in the week, and so did some air filter pad- so those bits got done, and I gave it a final check over and finished the head up a bit.

And now with a sunny day, both are fueled and sat ready for some testing- yellow hasn't run since around '95/96 but I'm thinking it might spring to life again today :)

More soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

So imgur does video but I dunno how to link it properly so click here to see if it worked I guess

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Narrator: It did, in fact, work.

Nice

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

TheMightyHandful posted:

Narrator: It did, in fact, work.

Nice

And a lot easier than I thought too :). But today's update isn't about that, it's about a

a creature feature

A nice day for it

It being not much work but mainly checking on things and having a chill out for a few hours. I had hoped a few days of rain would let me plant trees but it only really affected the first few cm of soil.

I did at least make use of that to start off the foundations of the bbq- I didn't bring a spirit level so it's just an initial scrape and clear for now, but doing so let me plan it out in my head a bit better. I'm going to get the frame level, then tilt it slightly for rain run off, and start with some gravel, then sand and cement.

The rounds turned up some light damage to fruit tree lower branches- probably deer. Have now started filling the fat ball feeder that was always last to be eaten with seed, as it's cheaper and probably better suited to the mesh.

Cass has taken up soap making. To make soap, first you render tired cultural references from the '90s

And I also went round and found some stuff I planted that got forgotten on the strimming session and had now disappeared into undergrowth

so I sorted that, now let's move on to the main events-

This is a cat

https://i.imgur.com/fXupJ1C.gifv

This is a video of a cat

This is a funky looking moth

https://i.imgur.com/j5hxi2d.gifv

This is a video of many funky looking moths at a funky looking moth orgy

This is a bee

https://i.imgur.com/1XZAn9K.gifv

This is a video of a bee

These are other bees

https://i.imgur.com/ERUJ03A.gifv

This is a video of lots of bees

This is a picture of ants and a caterpillar looking thing

https://i.imgur.com/XigyB7V.gifv

This is a video of their brutal and frenzied fighting

https://i.imgur.com/D3nq3yk.gifv

And to finish off, I can't quite seem to see the woods for all these drat trees.

More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 12, 2019

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

That poor caterpillar!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

xcheopis posted:

That poor caterpillar!

Soon after that video, the caterpillar had a eureka moment and managed to barrel roll in one direction consistently, so it survived death by ant and quite likely got eaten by bird or some fate far less horrific than many pairs of pincers.

skolstrejk för klimatet MkII- pride edition

Last week or two have been busy and I'm pretty sure the old cat scratch fever has resurfaced a bit- but it's strike day and so the climate militia has to go out in force :colbert:

We started with some shopping and then I lugged in over a hundred kilos of sand, stone, cement and bottled water. I didn't want to buy more bottled water but it came up stupid cheap and it's nice to have stashed in quantity for emergency.

Obviously the best thing to be doing on a day to do with fighting climate change is to destroy some pristine wildlife with the evils of concrete brutalism. Just a wikkle bit though.

We levelled the frame off, then tipped it a little in the downhill direction for run-off of rain.

Then we worked stones into the earth a bit

Then mixed sand and cement and more stone and worked on mixing and packing it all down hard into the frame dry- the ground and sand were quite moist and over the next week or two it will slowly soak throughout and provide a good foundation for the BBQ- if I laid it wet/with a higher cement ratio it would be a more unified lump of concrete when set but when you then start putting fires on top it can crack and cause bigger issues.

However there are multiple rainstorms predicted so I constructed a shield to stop droplets/puddles/deer from loving me up too much.

The rounds and bird stuffs were done- fruit situation seems good, and the mesh bird ball feeder with the seeds was empty so that's gonna continue as a thing. We ate sour cherries straight off the tree, maybe slightly unripe but least we got some before the birds did

The older grape vine is going to need more supports soon enough.

The main field is looking just how I wanted it

https://i.imgur.com/XgmuYws.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/NSmy4wP.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/DbmjLZQ.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/30VtMmr.gifv

After all that we did some tidying and sorted out my daughter's conservation area a bit more but mainly just watched the bees and such

Homefront is kind of all awry at the moment due to the combo of work being done to the house and being busy/ill- still got the garlic harvested, and I'm starting to get some onions through- as well as some much anticipated strawberries

More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 22, 2019

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The incorporation of videos in addition to stills has made this thread a solid 11/10.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Please never stop posting your adventures and pictures! I love this thread!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Miftan posted:

The incorporation of videos in addition to stills has made this thread a solid 11/10.

There's more to come on that front, but for now the short bits will have to do :)

Loki Kunti posted:

Please never stop posting your adventures and pictures! I love this thread!

Thankyou! :unsmith:

But I don't have any option in it anymore- you join the climate change militia, you are in for the duration of the conflict :colbert:

the old man

https://i.imgur.com/O37q7c9.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/yv7N0bs.gifv

Was down today for a special guest- got my dad in for a visit and lunch. Been meaning to for years, so it was great to finally show him round the place then sit with a beer and cook with nature all around.

But the work of the day was to rescue all my bushes and trees, and for that I selected the yellow one for a test. A name is yet to occur for it. I was really daft and spent 20 mins trying to start it before realising the electrics were turned off- it ran quite well after that.

https://i.imgur.com/CPk86WW.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/BE3SSga.gifv

There's lots of stuff to clear out, but the yellow did quite well for that task- it's not as powerful as the husqvarna for heavy duty cutting/mowing but it's nice and light and good for maintaining already cut areas

This new fruit tree will hopefully appreciate not being overgrown

https://i.imgur.com/JJuqZXC.gifv

Me and my dad ate a bunch before the pictures but just a few days more sun has made the sour cherries taste loving ace- can't wait to make jams/booze out of them. Few snapped branches due to weight/birds.

https://i.imgur.com/uSLIghR.gifv

Pond had many bugs and some reeds going and most importantly doesn't smell like unwashed arse so it's getting healthy

https://i.imgur.com/JqdOH6s.gifv

Harvestmen have no venom and no web spinning abilities but they seem to make up for it with a healthy social life

https://i.imgur.com/7YwW4XV.gifv

Chased several butterflies in hope of a pic but drat they flighty

https://i.imgur.com/q8egZcy.gifv

This butterfly was real noisy and I think might not have even been a butterfly according to this Jane's guide to aircraft but what do they know

Not my land but close- some new formation of digging bastard on this sandy bank- I suspected wascally wabbit but no poops around to inspect

https://i.imgur.com/kuAayxf.gifv

These chooks are happy but some of the others unfortunately met a fox :smith:

Stuff is still all havoc at home but the strawbs keep coming

More soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I'm so lonely, I could eat pie

This is a carrot flower. Well then- my get up and go status is still "it got up and hosed off", but I'm hoping for a return tomorrow for woodwork. Till then, very limited homefront progress! Yay!

The garlic had dried to the point it was time to check it out properly- 27 bulbs in all

And after a hair cut and skin peel, two bulbs were sent direct to the kitchen as the skins were broken clumsily by some bearded sweary northman during the arduous process

My braids suck but they are functional and can be improved on- hung in a good place this garlic is now good for months

Did the same with my early onions too

I planted up some chokeberry. Or Aronia berries, if you are selling it as a superfruit.

I thought the cold scarification process was a bust but two apple seeds popped and got planted

Today was mainly spent looking at this

I forgot the before pics but my ground tomatoes were very unruly indeed so I built a frame and then tied the tomatoes to the frame then cut back many bits of tomato to promote growth/fruit up the chain.

Put a bit of mesh round some grape vine too- several more bushes and plants really need attention also

Someone suggested tayberry or loganberry for thorn packing power and this tayberry or loganberry certainly packs a spiky punch

Some of the spud plants are yellowing out and dying off, meaning harvest of the early croppers is drawing close.

More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 30, 2019

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

now then

Felt poo poo but went in anyway, so you get the triple post and the trees get the water

https://i.imgur.com/CdGIbvW.gifv

I tried to film some of the drive in

https://i.imgur.com/svm6tIS.gifv

Before remembering corners need two hands

https://i.imgur.com/kIlvvtS.gifv

Kitties!

Water, more water, scavved pallet, scavved wood.

And the blue bucket thing had some tile and old mugs for lizard hotel mkII in it

https://i.imgur.com/O22AOgr.gifv

Water go places

https://i.imgur.com/jqNcK23.gifv

Water go other places

Grape vine must get upgraded soon, probably just another mesh layer offset

BBQ base is solid feeling now and is probably ready to build on

https://i.imgur.com/hgfZd3R.gifv

What up Cass

I started getting some legs ready for furniture use and that's when the CSD really set in and I felt entirely exhausted just making a few small cuts.

So then it was home time. More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 1, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Awesome. The videos are a really great touch.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

You have seriously upped your game on all fronts, here. loving fantastic.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
This is the most wholesome thread on the forums. Love reading your updates!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Doom Rooster posted:

Awesome. The videos are a really great touch.

xcheopis posted:

You have seriously upped your game on all fronts, here. loving fantastic.

Grumio posted:

This is the most wholesome thread on the forums. Love reading your updates!

I love you all and your comments and encouragement help give me an extra push towards getting a bit more poo poo done and posted up on here :unsmith:

getting a bit more poo poo done and posted up on here

Was close enough on various other errands to drag myself down the extra bit to check the status of the fruit

It's definitely fruity much like it's bearded caretaker tbqh

I dragged in water and wood and stone and fire the fire burns inside us all comrades

https://i.imgur.com/sn29Upz.gifv

Checked in on some of the nearby hives so we remain super friendly

https://i.imgur.com/1n09dJc.gifv

The water seems a lot more precious the more carrying is involved. The spray thing takes a bit long but it works and barely leaks so it's on the team

https://i.imgur.com/ETjjRdt.gifv

These ants appear to be harvesting sap from this cherry tree (which might be a plum I dunno) but provided they don't harm it much I ain't gonna bug em

https://i.imgur.com/sWzqemb.gifv

And the caravan continues to be a hive of activity for the harvestmen, seen here giving the bums rush to a spider

https://i.imgur.com/T1HZymE.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/a6LXOtO.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/JgIotZ3.gifv

Lots of insect activity

When the watering was done I had to bail but my way out was blocked by arseholes parking over the gate so while waiting for their boss to ring them and explain the merits of blocking several farm entrances at once with a company van I took a wander off and found the ww2 AA site- now really just a collection of concrete blocks and a few bits of brickwork

https://i.imgur.com/swFQGX7.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/FeaF1nA.gifv

And then I stalked squirrels on the way out, just without the rifle this time- next time that might be different but I love them all the same

Homefront is overgrown due to fatigue stuff

But I have managed enough to keep the tomatoes happy and the other bits fed with stinky chickenshit and regular blasts of water

So then I needed to fix my mild coolant leak- I was losing some out of the old loose kühlerverschlussdeckel.

Nice easy job to do with the boy, now a quick refill of the coolant then to do a quick examine of the engine bay...
What's that son? She's dripping coolant on the floor?

Ah. Oh. poo poo.

Well, that's now tomorrow's adventure, I'm clocking off and loving off for some strawberries and cream and probably a belt of scotch because why the gently caress not

More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 4, 2019

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

This thread makes me really happy, and has inspired me to put some meager effort into turning my little backyard into a pretty and hospitable place for wildlife and all kinds of buzzy, crawly bugs and bees :3:.

Also, I’ve decided to start an herb garden and start planting some fun things. I’ve been looking for a hobby I can sink my spare time into :).

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
This is such a good thread

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

This is the best thread

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

I love watching your progress. I wish you were near me, I'd volunteer!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

mekyabetsu posted:

This thread makes me really happy, and has inspired me to put some meager effort into turning my little backyard into a pretty and hospitable place for wildlife and all kinds of buzzy, crawly bugs and bees :3:.

Also, I’ve decided to start an herb garden and start planting some fun things. I’ve been looking for a hobby I can sink my spare time into :).

Every little bit helps and the results are heartwarming- good luck! :)

Lackmaster posted:

This is such a good thread

cakesmith handyman posted:

This is the best thread

Mofette posted:

I love watching your progress. I wish you were near me, I'd volunteer!

Thanks all :unsmith:

And mofette- you don't need to be near to enlist in the climate change militia, wherever you are, whatever you can do, get stuck in imho :colbert:

supplied, sealed specimen bags

Well the car has been working great since I picked it up, real healthy and strong, ready for work.

Much unlike me, who got hit hard with a relapse of bartonellosis, and has become medically interesting to the point where they want to stick me with needles and ask lots of questions and then other doctors bring in trainee doctors and they make interested sounds at you. It sucks.

I'm currently inbetween naps but coming up on painkillers so here's some flowers from the garden. I seem to have a few types of poppy growing, now that I mention painkillers

Second run of spuds is still flowering- my early potatoes are still unharvested as they still aren't quite yellowed off and dead and I want max harvest size, but I think by the weekend 3 tubs will be about ready for harvest regardless

Started using some of the homegrown garlic for bits like garlic butter and holy loving poo poo this is magical- when crushing cloves the oils just pour out, and the strength and richness is loving amazing compared with shop bought, strongly recommend growing your own to any garlic fans.

The tomatoes are really coming along fast- I got some more chickenshit and bone/bloodmeal on them, and they already need retraining and probably more supports. A new grapevine and a few honesty plants that survived got potted up too, wish I had some more energy for it.

I'm aiming for another fieldtrip in the next day or so, schedule allowing. It's probably just going to be the rounds then some watering and a nice nap, but more soon then another nap

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 10, 2019

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
you're gonna have potatoes comin out of your ears at this rate.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
best 56k warning thread on the forums

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

you're gonna have potatoes comin out of your ears at this rate.

Google search queries for "how do I make poitìn" and "making your own still" don't constitute intent, do they?

Chair In A Basket posted:

best 56k warning thread on the forums

56Kilobees per second

Sleeper Service

https://i.imgur.com/yGi658n.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/6G56q9O.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/V15pwdL.gifv

I made it there

https://i.imgur.com/bWSdNzC.gifv

It was pretty

Even though the weather was being really british on me it hasn't rained properly in many days so the trees needed it.

I just brought a few bits

https://i.imgur.com/BxKIhLG.gifv

And did the watering

Did I only dig this much of the pond out last year? Oh well, least that bit still has water, and maybe I can get some more dug this year.

https://i.imgur.com/4FqtX1H.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/r2ei4bn.gifv

Lots of fluttabyes

https://i.imgur.com/AYwZLJ8.gifv

Cass seems happy

Forgot to eat this morning but foraged myself a decent brunch

Blackberries will be available soon

https://i.imgur.com/1yUeBOI.gifv

Then I had a really nice nap, then hosed off home. For another nap. Next up- some potato harvesting, a nap, some bush supports and another nap and maybe tidy the patio a bit. So I can have a nap on it! More soon!

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 12, 2019

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

DesperateDan posted:

Google search queries for "how do I make poitìn" and "making your own still" don't constitute intent, do they?

"No officer, I'm trying to figure out poutine! Want some cheese curds?"

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

DesperateDan posted:

And mofette- you don't need to be near to enlist in the climate change militia, wherever you are, whatever you can do, get stuck in imho :colbert:

My entire tiny city garden has been planted from seed by me, with tons of bee-friendly flowers. Person doing their bit, reporting in! :c00lbutt:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bbcisdabomb posted:

"No officer, I'm trying to figure out poutine! Want some cheese curds?"

:D

(Though it may rightly earn me the ire of canadian comrades, I find a roughly grated strong cheddar works better for me than curds the few times I have found curds over here- I loving love poutine)

Mofette posted:

My entire tiny city garden has been planted from seed by me, with tons of bee-friendly flowers. Person doing their bit, reporting in! :c00lbutt:

As one militia commander to another, it might be worth looking at the processes of getting those flowers to seed so the ranks can be kept full :colbert:

crazy caterpillars

Let's harvest some spuds! Technically these first two buckets aren't entirely done, as they were still putting out some green life, but they had been gnawed by snail and toppled by bramble and vineweed and looked yellower than the others. Also, I'm low on spuds and gently caress buying more.

A few had rotted- no more than about half a dozen from both buckets together, but not something I have seen before. Think it might be a bit too damp and not quite airy enough soil

First bucket

Both buckets

Happy with this haul- these will sit for a few days till the skins dry/cure off a bit, then I can weigh them- spud skins are really delicate when they are first pulled. The containers are going to have late veg seeds put in and can get right back in the fight.

While I'm here I will note for next time- the bottom third of soil had some roots but very rarely a spud, so I can plant deeper to start with, and I can probably pack the plants in a bit more densely- they need support structures though, and a bit more care after flowering.

Also pulled the rest of my onions but it's been a bit of a disappointment as several got eaten into and I think the soil was too firm. Still a good soup in there somewhere I think.

Some tayberry, honeyberry and loganberry all got support structures because they were all growing into each other in a tangled unhappy lump otherwise- these need to go in the ground at the acres as soon as the ground allows.

https://i.imgur.com/XNqN47z.gifv

Aeroplane go raaaaawwwwrrrr

Checked on my garlic. Found bug eggs on the wall and a moving thing in a bulb. Ah. gently caress.

On investigation, multiple caterpillars. On garlic. Garlic is meant to be harmful to caterpillars to the point it's meant to be a natural pesticide/repellent but here's two that got fat on my profits, eatin' holes in my precious cloves.

I was going to squish em as brutal revenge for ruining the braid I was gonna give to my dad but my daughter interceded and is keeping them in a jar.

These little players I'm much happier with as they are eating something I can't identify, far away from my garlic or my onions or my spuds. Chomp away chaps!

The tomatoes are doing great, spent a long time in the sun today slowly getting branches tied back and pruning more

Which doesn't show whatsoever because it's still some densely packed triffidmato monster. Lots of tying.

Some of the carrot flower heads are starting to brown and dry, and I am looking forward to harvesting them and adding these to some seed mixes for guerrilla purposes- the bugs have been all over this plant. More soon!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

I've just caught up on this thread and it's amazing! Great job Dan :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Niric posted:

I've just caught up on this thread and it's amazing! Great job Dan :)

Thankyou :)

sleepy

I'm currently sleeping most of the day, and not even enjoying it due to being sore and feverish, which is loving frustrating. Yesterday I got up and got dressed to go to the acres, sat down on the end of the bed and then woke up 3 hours later, confused I was dressed and in bed. Or was that Friday? I don't even loving know right now.

But the tomatoes still grow :)

And so do these two cherry tree cuts- might have lost the apple seedlings, literally then maybe figuratively too

I got some pickling onions and Ferraris in the ground- old seed but some should work. I'm hoping for an old school F40 like I had a poster of when I was small and less beardy, but my spoilsport wife seems to think they will grow some variety of french bean instead

The caterpillars were doing really well, eating and pooping up a storm but they both managed to escape during a jar cleaning much to the kids amusement

I'm aiming for a quick trip tomorrow morning to literally do the rounds and feed the birds- some deity must be smiling on me as we have had a few days of some solid rainfall so I'm not too worried about watering yet. More soon! at some point!

naptime now