Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

we can go back and forth all day buddy im not gonna do that with you but theres much more going on in that movie than violence and it seems like you missed all of it in favor of some bizzare puritan anti-violence crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Narzack posted:

gently caress, man, there's even a scene of a Bathory-like fondling herself while bathing in the fresh blood of an upside down naked chick.

Stop, I can only get so hard.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've never seen any of the Hostel films besides 3. I watched it on a lark since Netflix had it and my god it was so drat stupid.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

bizzare puritan anti-violence crusade.

What the gently caress are you even talking about

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sponges posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about

"Nah, man. The film is poo poo. It's just chicks getting dismembered. gently caress, man, there's even a scene of a Bathory-like fondling herself while bathing in the fresh blood of an upside down naked chick. It's all just stupid torture titillation."

If youve seen the actual movie you know its much more than that and as said by others has a lot of themes about class struggle and the fear of being alone in foreign countries, etc.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

we can go back and forth all day buddy im not gonna do that with you but theres much more going on in that movie than violence and it seems like you missed all of it in favor of some bizzare puritan anti-violence crusade.

I'm not at all anti-violence, it's just a crappy movie, and a retread of the first stupid movie. But I'll accept that our tastes are wildly different.c I don't think you are wrong, if you liked it but I happen to not, and I offer my reasoning

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I thought Human Centipede was funny, if you have any interest in it I'd say just watch it. I remember watching it and realizing what kind of movie it actually is when the doctor caresses a crudely photoshoped picture of a triplicated rottweiler and is like "I miss you, my Tri-Dog" or something. I've heard the sequels are actually extreme movies, but I haven't seen them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thats fair i mean our tastes are clearly different and you obviously dont have to like it

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

"Nah, man. The film is poo poo. It's just chicks getting dismembered. gently caress, man, there's even a scene of a Bathory-like fondling herself while bathing in the fresh blood of an upside down naked chick. It's all just stupid torture titillation."

If youve seen the actual movie you know its much more than that and as said by others has a lot of themes about class struggle and the fear of being alone in foreign countries, etc.

I don't really think it does it all. But hey, I'll re watch it, and see what missed when I saw it years ago.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I thought Human Centipede was funny, if you have any interest in it I'd say just watch it. I remember watching it and realizing what kind of movie it actually is when the doctor caresses a crudely photoshoped picture of a triplicated rottweiler and is like "I miss you, my Tri-Dog" or something. I've heard the sequels are actually extreme movies, but I haven't seen them.

Human Centipede 2 is a movie some friends and I chuckled at seeing on Netflix. We turned it on just to see what the first few minutes were like, loving smash cut to us watching the credits like no time had passed asking, "What the gently caress did we just watch?"

It's a nightmare and once it get's rolling it's very hard to look away.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Which Hostel movie has the kids kicking the guys head around like a soccer ball? I liked that scene.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Gonna toss a quote down from 20 pages ago because I am unapologetically a hot mess:

Basebf555 posted:

You watch anything over the weekend? I've been really enjoying your tour of Horror Thread Essentials.

I've been slowly working through some other stuff! Figure I'll give a little rundown now. The first bit are all Last Drive In related:

I finish Demons, clearly. It was fun! It wasn't particularly scary at any moment, but it was appropriately batshit to make up for it, and I had a really good time watching it. The twist at the end was--irrelevant? I didn't give a gently caress about any of the characters, but knowing that they just threw a loving helicopter at a building's roof IRL means the movie is a 10/10 in my book.

The Stuff and C.H.U.D were hot loving garbage, and not in a remotely fun way. They weren't scary, or interesting, and for some reason the former just made me want to watch Halloween 3 instead? Overall w/e.

Society was incredible and anyone who says otherwise will get a sheepish talking to. It made no loving sense but the effects were just unbelievable and the climactic moment is one of my favorite moments in film like, period.

I've tried watching A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night 3 times because it seems so deeply up my alley that I can't help but like it but it's just so--gratuitously arthouse? Normally that doesn't bother me at all, but, something about this one does. Is it worth powering through?

I also knew I'd seen the Hills Have Eyes remake so I went back to watch the original, which it turns out I've also seen and just completely forgot. I'm surprised that I liked both as much as I did. It's been a few years since I'd seen the remake, but IIRC they're functionally very similar?

Non-Joe Bob related stuff:

I rewatched Ghost Stories and think it was definitely worth the revisit. The first vignette definitely worked the best for me form-wise, but overall I think it's an extremely competent film that's very well shot and acted, and very, very sad.

I got drunk the other night with a buddy and watch Among the Living on Shudder. It's, uh, a film. I wouldn't say it's bad bad, but it is fun bad. There's a Gas Mask Bong Dad and a Clown Son and at one point one of the antagonists starts slapping the gently caress out of another character in a very silly way that's supposed to be scary and I overall had a great time with it.

Another on Shudder I tried watching was Suburban Gothic which, while I normally like horror comedy, was hot garbage and I refuse to finish it. It was bad.

Any quick recommendations for today? Looking to start one soon if anyone has any.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

TheKingslayer posted:

Human Centipede 2 is a movie some friends and I chuckled at seeing on Netflix. We turned it on just to see what the first few minutes were like, loving smash cut to us watching the credits like no time had passed asking, "What the gently caress did we just watch?"

It's a nightmare and once it get's rolling it's very hard to look away.

Yeah, the second Human Centipede film is the batshit crazy ultra-violent WTF did I just witness entry in the series. The third one is more dark comedy with lots of shock content.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah ok you guys are right Phantom of the Paradise is great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

even i find human centipede 2 just downright distasteful and i own all 3 august underground movies signed on bluray

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Gejimayu posted:

Which Hostel movie has the kids kicking the guys head around like a soccer ball? I liked that scene.
That's 2. I rewatched in March. It's slower than it needs to be but it's fun once everything explodes.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Do I need to rewatch both or just the second one?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

even i find human centipede 2 just downright distasteful and i own all 3 august underground movies signed on bluray

Oh, man, there was a guy on the old Postal 2 forums who was nuts for August Underground.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Narzack posted:

Not really. I think the first is a slog but haven't seen in in a decade.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Narzack posted:

Just the 2nd one the two movies reference each other but you can understand 2 without watching 1, its its own movie

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

double post but has anyone seen Hagazussa and if so what did you think? I'm thinking of checking it out

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

double post but has anyone seen Hagazussa and if so what did you think? I'm thinking of checking it out

It’s a lot like The VVitch but even slower and with less dialogue. All about the atmosphere and mood. I loved it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I remember liking the escape/revenge portion of Hostel 1, but I was also 16 the only time I saw it.

I'm not a huge fan of the "immediately kill the protagonist of the previous entry" trope that pops up in Hostel 2.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kvlt! posted:

nah its a really good movie, 1 is ok and 3 is dogshit but def check out 2.

Hostel rules because it has Jay Hernandez in it, and Jay Hernandez is awesome. He was the best part of Suicide Squad, and it's a loving crime that El Diablo didn't get more screentime.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Which version of Exorcist is on Shudder? It's due for a rewatch but I'm not sure there's a definitive version of it at this point.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Saw Brightburn today. Perfectly adequate. Delivered on what it was promising (promised evil superman, no more, no less) and had some pretty good kills. A few squirts of cgi blood means it's definitely a movie for posers but it was fine. Not sure what all the hate in this thread for it is other than the fact that no one hates horror movies quite like horror movie fans do. It'll definitely be lost to the annals of horror history but it's by no means bad

I also like that it didn't have a happy ending. I like that the mom wasn't magically able to overcome her unkillable son and I like that he just went on to gently caress poo poo up because... why not? Kids are assholes and if they had unlimited power I defs believe this is how they would use it.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 3, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like Hostel 1 more, but that's mainly because it is a little more absurd, slightly more subtle in its messaging than 2 (although both are suuuper blatant about their subtext), and has more dark humor. Plus it has Takashi Miike in it, which is another plus by default.

Hostel 3 is dumb; it's basically what people imagine 1 and 2 are (just movies about people being tortured and killed), played straight.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ThePagey posted:

Any quick recommendations for today? Looking to start one soon if anyone has any.

I know you were asking for recommendations yesterday but here's a few stone-cold classics from Shudder to add to your list(assuming you've never seen them of course):

Hellraiser(and Hellraiser II, which is just as good if not better)
The Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Evil Dead
Halloween

I'd say if you haven't seen one of those then fix that right away, they're essential.

Also, Shudder has started to get into action flicks a little bit. Reminder to people itt that The Man From Nowhere kicks large amounts of rear end.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Just watched Revenge and it's going on my list of 'Films I really enjoyed but probably wouldn't ever recommend someone else watch unless I really knew their taste'. Beautifully shot and the climax being Totally nude guy with his dick out getting chased comically around in circles, before getting defeated mid-misogynist rant by the heroine fisting his yonic shotgun wound through his prophylactic bandage was so on the nose that I loved it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

He was the best part of Suicide Squad

That bar is so low its under the ground.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ma was overall disappointing but enjoyable, I really wish the project was given to a talented director because the cast and idea was great, but there was some pacing issues and really dull shots. Though I guess the former comes down to having a good editor.

A definite rental.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Alhazred posted:

That bar is so low its under the ground.

Suicide Squad sucked, but Jay Hernandez is still incredible in it. I'm Latino, and given how few Latinx are in these superhero movies it was nice to at least see Jay be powerful and kick rear end.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Which of the Atelier games on switch don't have timers/time management? I know Lydie and Suelle don't, any others?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Which of the Atelier games on switch don't have timers/time management? I know Lydie and Suelle don't, any others?

Lol

If you mean running out of time for story missions, then Sophie doesn't. There are timers for optional rumors/requests though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh poo poo i meant to post that in the Switch thread but thank you!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Kvlt! posted:

Oh poo poo i meant to post that in the Switch thread but thank you!

:tipshat:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

STAC Goat posted:

Every once and awhile I say "I should watch Human Centipede, it was such a thing." Then a little voice says "Why?" and I don't have an answer so I remain blissfully ignorant.

It's worth watching in that it's not particularly as badly made or horrible as advertised and you can say you saw The Human Centipede. I wouldn't advise bothering with 2 or 3 though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

married but discreet posted:

Which version of Exorcist is on Shudder? It's due for a rewatch but I'm not sure there's a definitive version of it at this point.

Fortunately no version of The Exorcist is bad. Though to nitpick The Version You've Never Seen's additional content maybe could have been place a little differently to better effect. There are also some very subtle (and not so subtle) changes to the sound mix mostly for the better but any version if it is fantastic imo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How many versions of the film are there? :confused: I thought there was the theatrical release and the other one with some deleted stuff they released in the early 2000s. Are there more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

s.i.r.e. posted:

How many versions of the film are there? :confused: I thought there was the theatrical release and the other one with some deleted stuff they released in the early 2000s. Are there more?

Just those two really, but there are a few differing versions that have some minor changes also.