Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Sylvester Stallone's greatest role will always be Angelo 'Snaps' Provolone in Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pixar's movie after TS4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8DKg_fsacM

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcG06hZooHM

one of those very middlebrow Oscar-baity literary adaptations (though the mid-September release date makes me skeptical that WB has much in the way of awards hopes for it at this point). but Roger Deakins will make it look nice

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nice Perfume Genius track.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

clown shoes posted:

Sylvester Stallone's greatest role will always be Machine Gun Joe Viterbo in Death Race 2000.

FTFY.

Seriously though, he was very good in Copland and Rocky Balboa.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jedit posted:

FTFY.

Seriously though, he was very good in Copland and Rocky Balboa.

None of these movies are "Judge Dredd" :colbert:

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
And everyone's right Old Town Road was a very funny pick for marketing

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1133796630942113793

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Why is this funny, though? Explain it to me as you would a child

It is a joke song that rolled into being awesome thanks to a series of ridiculous circumstances, having a somber version playing in a trailer for a big movie in like two months since Billy Ray joining in on the fun only adds to it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Bogus Adventure posted:

None of these movies are "Stop Or My Mom Will Shoot" :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After all these explanations I still have no idea why that song choice is funny. Is it a pro-MAGA song or anti? Is it being used in a genuine or an ironic fashion? Is Stallone trolling someone and if so who?

I guess I am dumber than a child :shrug:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

After all these explanations I still have no idea why that song choice is funny. Is it a pro-MAGA song or anti? Is it being used in a genuine or an ironic fashion? Is Stallone trolling someone and if so who?

I guess I am dumber than a child :shrug:

1) There is something called the Yeehaw Agenda which is an internet trend of black people co-opting cowboy imagery at varying levels of irony.
2) Dude made a country/rap song as a joke (or maybe not, again we're dealing with multiple levels of irony here) and uploaded it to Soundcloud under the country genre which in any case caused the algorithm to go nuts with it
3) This leads to an enormous mass of memes culminating in the song actually being properly produced and poo poo featuring Billy Ray Cyrus and Chris Rock is also in the video, currently 92 million views on YT
4) They put this song into the trailer for the new Rambo movie which looks like it's extremely catering to the MAGA crowd, who hate the song because... black people.

It's just one of the most egregious recent examples of how loving fast internet bullshit propagates under the right circumstances.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Excellent explanation. But now I suddenly feel very old. The world has passed me by.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

According to Cannes interview with Stallone, this time Rambo is different because:
- Rambo gets humiliated
- Rambo has PTSD

There you go. Things hitherto unknown in the Rambo cinematic universe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What leads people to believe Old Town Road is a joke?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What leads people to believe Old Town Road is a joke?

Yeah, I never saw it that way either. I saw it more as doing some genre exploration and then white people freaked the gently caress out about "You got HIP HOP in my Pop Country!"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Listen to the way the kids get into it - it's just a no-bullshit country and western song.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean he himself said he just threw some of the lines in there because he thought they were funny and would make people laugh so

Edit: Not saying the song is a joke because obviously isn't, but he also intended for it to be meme bait

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 31, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The Peccadillo posted:

Lmao god drat these kids rule

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean he himself said he just threw some of the lines in there because he thought they were funny and would make people laugh so

Edit: Not saying the song is a joke because obviously isn't, but he also intended for it to be meme bait

Yeah, I mean, that's just songwriting.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Listen to the way the kids get into it - it's just a no-bullshit country and western song.

I get the impression that it's popularity comes from being the backdrop to a fad of Tik Tok dances and cowboy dressup rather than being appreciated for it's own merits.
edit: Which is fine. Passing cultural crazes don't really need to stand up to scrutiny.

Anyway, Rambo's absolutely funny for so nakedly using it to market to the kids.
Now that the track is being commercialized, I wonder if Trent Reznor gets a cut.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 31, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Peccadillo posted:

I have the biggest loving smile right now. This is great.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teenage Fansub posted:

I get the impression that it's popularity comes from being the backdrop to a fad of Tik Tok dances and cowboy dressup rather than being appreciated for it's own merits.

It is what it is - "Let's Twist Again" won a Grammy.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My general pop culture rule is if it makes adults over 40 irrationally angry, it’s rules.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
anything that takes the piss out of modern top 40 pop country is loving awesome in every way

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

thrawn527 posted:

I have the biggest loving smile right now. This is great.

It's legit the best thing I've seen all week. I've got tears in my eyes. :v:

Parachute posted:

anything that takes the piss out of modern top 40 pop country is loving awesome in every way

The music video has Billy Ray Cyrus in a bright pink cowboy suit. Also the opening dialogue is Lil Nas X worrying about going back to a place where he recently a bad reception (note: this was soon after those cowards at Billboard took his song off the country charts) and Billy Ray says something like "Relax, you're with me now."
Everyone involved knew exactly what they were doing. :clint:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's legit the best thing I've seen all week. I've got tears in my eyes. :v:

The music video has Billy Ray Cyrus in a bright pink cowboy suit. Also the opening dialogue is Lil Nas X worrying about going back to a place where he recently a bad reception (note: this was soon after those cowards at Billboard took his song off the country charts) and Billy Ray says something like "Relax, you're with me now."
Everyone involved knew exactly what they were doing. :clint:

It’s all rather cute but Vince staples is loving hilarious in it. He has such great comic delivery here and for example when he does those NBA fashion commentaries

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Remember that crazy Russian film Coma that we were talking about back in 2016? Looks like it might actually get released soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYgVTBM6Mko

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Ford v Ferrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Remember that crazy Russian film Coma that we were talking about back in 2016? Looks like it might actually get released soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYgVTBM6Mko

"Expected release date 24 Jan 2019".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

"Expected release date 24 Jan 2019".

"Published on May 31, 2019"

Yeah I don't know either.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I thought this looked good!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm in.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This looks like an extremely shameless award bait engineered with the help of an AI algorythm

looks good though

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Gimme Shelter is a not a good fit for that trailer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Rolling Stones liked the trailer so much they gave us a rare green light to remix one of their songs.

Also this trailer was cut with us using my old vendor that fired me (Refinery AV) so that was fun (no hard feelings though)

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I could have sworn I read that Christian Bale was going to be in a Michael Mann directed film about Enzo Ferrari and I can't help but be disappointed that this is not it!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQXAtSdUp0

First look at the Lion King characters talking. Beyonce at the start and Seth Rogen at the end.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

The Rolling Stones liked the trailer so much they gave us a rare green light to remix one of their songs.

Also this trailer was cut with us using my old vendor that fired me (Refinery AV) so that was fun (no hard feelings though)

Yeah, no knock on the mix, it's really well done. It's just a pet peeve of mine when a song like that is used without respect to any thematic context whatsoever.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Apple's first original series: For All Mankind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZS9M52Bd_w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwQXAtSdUp0

First look at the Lion King characters talking. Beyonce at the start and Seth Rogen at the end.

Nothing like spending hundreds of millions of dollars to achieve the technical competence of Air Buddies.