Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

regional forms let them add 'new' pokemon without them actually being new and in a series as long-running as this poo poo like that is invaluable, so i honestly believe they're gonna keep being a thing just based on the logistics of that alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zore posted:

Eh, the thread has historically had a terrible batting average when trying to determine the legitimacy of leaks. I remember everyone calling fake over the real Snivy/Oshawott evo leaks, the Alola dex leaks, the list of new Megas in ORAS, the EV game from Gen VI etc.

Conversely we also believed in stupid poo poo like the Gen VI Water Goggles thing, the fake leak of Alolan forms with Water Arcanine etc.

Sometimes leaks are just poo poo I want to hear and water dog was one of those times.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I want to believe in raising a pair of rear end in a top hat Ravens and Pokemon Snap minigame. But I wouldn't be surprised if they're false.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

statistically i've believed all the real leaks

brave, and also true

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

The Water Arcanine rumor made no sense to me as regional variants are type combinations that are a) never been used before b) a relatively rare type combination and c) could not have existed in Gen 1 as one of the types used was only introduced in a later generation.

Water-typed Arcanine doesn't fulfill any of those requirements. It's really just the "opposite" typings like Vulpix and Alolan Vulpix only executed poorly as neither type is exciting (Ice types are rare, while water... isn't).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Johnny Joestar posted:

regional forms let them add 'new' pokemon without them actually being new and in a series as long-running as this poo poo like that is invaluable, so i honestly believe they're gonna keep being a thing just based on the logistics of that alone

On the other hand it's a regional gimmick and Game Freak hates reusing those no matter how good of an idea they may be.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Zuzie posted:

I think it's pretty fake because the variant Cacnea has the same typing as regular Cacnea (not to mention that its ability seems a bit too complex compared to other abilities).
Seems pretty close to Kecleon's gimmick, although with more limited use. Especially on a type with three more weaknesses not accounted for.

Electric Phantasm posted:

All aboard the Tardibus bus.
I want to ride the Tardibus bus.

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I want to believe in burning man Cacnea.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Where’s my Grass/Fire regional Tropius, Gamefreak? I want a jalapeño sauropod!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Geostomp posted:

Where’s my Grass/Fire regional Tropius, Gamefreak? I want a jalapeño sauropod!

Maybe as a pre-evo, but you need minimum habanero, maybe a ghost pepper mega evolution, to be real here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Where's my mega forms for Flygon and Maractus, uh? Gamefreak, you cowards!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Johnny Joestar posted:

On the other hand game freak is king of not bringing back previous gen features

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Tropius, Flygon, and Maractus are all getting PokéArmor

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Where's my mega forms for Flygon and Maractus, uh? Gamefreak, you cowards!

I think there's a real quote somewhere, maybe of Sugimori, about how they just couldn't make a Mega Flygon design good enough for what fans would want.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Given the blue and white colours, isn't tardibus more likely a Doctor Who reference (especially given the UK-based setting?)

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Zaroff posted:

Given the blue and white colours, isn't tardibus more likely a Doctor Who reference (especially given the UK-based setting?)

I was thinking tardigrade AKA water bear. I could see one of them being bus-like.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finished the Detective Pikachu game. (Just in time for the sequel on Switch, hooray!)

Final conclusion: this is one of those rare cases where the movie was better than the source material. Not saying the game is bad! It's cute and charming. The movie is just better.

I look forward to the second game! Where we finally find out that Harry was with us the whole time!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Chill Penguin posted:

I was thinking tardigrade AKA water bear. I could see one of them being bus-like.

That's probably more likely, however I wonder whether they are taking advantage of the Who link as well...

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zore posted:

Eh, the thread has historically had a terrible batting average when trying to determine the legitimacy of leaks. I remember everyone calling fake over the real Snivy/Oshawott evo leaks, the Alola dex leaks, the list of new Megas in ORAS, the EV game from Gen VI etc.

Conversely we also believed in stupid poo poo like the Gen VI Water Goggles thing, the fake leak of Alolan forms with Water Arcanine etc.

This is just a text dump, there's no basis for anything. It's not like some interesting pictures that need to be scrutinized.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silver Falcon posted:

Finished the Detective Pikachu game. (Just in time for the sequel on Switch, hooray!)

Final conclusion: this is one of those rare cases where the movie was better than the source material. Not saying the game is bad! It's cute and charming. The movie is just better.

I look forward to the second game! Where we finally find out that Harry was with us the whole time!

The game is cute and charming, but it's so low energy and aggressively and patronizingly for children that there's barely any actual game to enjoy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'd be down for Detective Pikachu Switch if they reveal it's by Capcom and the reason why AA7 hasn't been announced yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Waffleman_ posted:

The game is cute and charming, but it's so low energy and aggressively and patronizingly for children that there's barely any actual game to enjoy.

Yeah, yeah. Like I said, I enjoyed the game but the movie is definitely better. I'm down for the sequel.

I liked talking to all the Pokemon. Yan-yan! :3:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective Pikachu Switch will probably be a port that has more content. I’ll probably skip it since the movie was better and I’m not a fan of that more western Pixarish art style in a Pokémon game.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Zaroff posted:

That's probably more likely, however I wonder whether they are taking advantage of the Who link as well...

I assume it's all 3. Looks like famous bus, is a water bear, colored like a police box.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think there's a real quote somewhere, maybe of Sugimori, about how they just couldn't make a Mega Flygon design good enough for what fans would want.

Make it bigger, add a pair of wings, and toss in some assorted doodads. There. Now get to it. Mega Flygon should never have to have waited until Mega Beedrill and Mega Pidgeot were made.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Mega Pidgeot is in the same club as Mega Lucario where I can't tell it's a mega if I don't see the mega evolution animation.

So please don't compare it to my due Mega Beedrill, king of Wasps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Beedrill deserved a Mega just as much as Flygon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mega Flygon carried me thru Insurgence, I want it to be real.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
give mega flygon wild lucario dreds and yellow stripe rings. its eyes are also now bloodshot but you can't tell because the goggles

highgon

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Detective Pikachu movie is not better than the game, because the movie is a gigantic mess and has a mouth-talking Mewtwo that is on-par with the Sonic movie design. I hated the fact that Ryme City was a borderline cyberpunk Shibuya instead of a normal-looking Pokémon city like it is in the game, and I hate that the directors are trying to tie it into official game canon.

I loved both the game and the movie, but the movie is a narrative train wreck with some really bad choices. The game isn't perfect, especially with the sluggish pace of the case on the island, but it was way more engaging than the film.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
did we watch the same movie

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Takoluka posted:

The Detective Pikachu movie is not better than the game, because the movie is a gigantic mess and has a mouth-talking Mewtwo that is on-par with the Sonic movie design. I hated the fact that Ryme City was a borderline cyberpunk Shibuya instead of a normal-looking Pokémon city like it is in the game, and I hate that the directors are trying to tie it into official game canon.

I loved both the game and the movie, but the movie is a narrative train wreck with some really bad choices. The game isn't perfect, especially with the sluggish pace of the case on the island, but it was way more engaging than the film.

Mewtwo never opens its mouth to talk and Ryme city is explicitly set up to not be a normal Pokemon city. Like, I'm not going to say it's a great movie. But at least use valid criticisms like the tension of the torterra forest immediately dissolving itself, meaning it adds nothing to the movie or plot.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Oh yeah the Torterra forest was crap, both because of what you said, and also because nobody noticed a mountain range growing up from nowhere??

Mewtwo did use "his" mouth to talk when he was taken over by the villain but it didn't bother me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the game literally had a puzzle based around figuring out what colors mix into what other colors if I wanted to play a goddamn edutainment game I'd boot up my W98 VM and play some Jumpstart 3rd Grade

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Takoluka posted:

nah

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's good actually

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its fine

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DQWalk/status/1135397714424786944

and with that Pokemon Goes home for good.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Waffleman_ posted:

if I wanted to play a goddamn edutainment game I'd boot up my W98 VM and play some motherfuckin' Freddi Fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In Episode: Rainbow Rocket are Archie and Maxie supposed to be the versions from RSE? Since they use their old designs, and don't use mega evolution or primal reversion.