Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

lofi posted:

Let's stop and rest on quicksand, nothing could possibly go wrong!

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

lofi posted:

Let's stop and rest on quicksand, nothing could possibly go wrong!

Agreed, voting this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

We wait for 3 days and take another day of travel. We're now at one of the hardest parts of our journey: the Forty Mile Desert. There's no water or grass for our animals along this stretch. As of 1850, there were 953 noted graves and nearly 10,000 draft animal skeletons along this desert.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh, excellent! Southern Pacific has a railway that passes through here, we should just follow that and get out of here as quickly as possible.

*whispers from off screen*

I'm being told the transcontinental railroad wouldn't be built through here for another ~35 years and lingering around in a desert that long is likely to prove fatal. In that case lets wait until sunset and cross the desert at night. You know, like normal people who don't want to cook to death.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In that case lets wait until sunset and cross the desert at night. You know, like normal people who don't want to cook to death.
This.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

wait for sunset so we can travel by night, and warm ourselves during the frigid wee hours with the exertions of travel and also whiskey

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, lets not roast in the desert. Wait until sunset.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SatansOnion posted:

wait for sunset so we can travel by night, and warm ourselves during the frigid wee hours with the exertions of travel and also whiskey

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Waiting until sunset lets us make some time with no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8-bQsOxkc

We're closing on the end of our Montgomery interludes. As Jed talks about, the Whitman mission near Walla Walla, WA was massacred in 1847 due to fears of white encroachment on Cayuse land and a measles outbreak that killed half the local Cayuse population. 13 settlers (including Dr. Marcus and Narcissa Whitman) were killed, resulting in the US military battling the Cayuse for 8 years; their population as of 2010 was 304. If you pass down the Oregon Trail prior to the massacre you can actually meet the Whitmans.

And another river!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Waiting until sunset lets us make some time with no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8-bQsOxkc

We're closing on the end of our Montgomery interludes. As Jed talks about, the Whitman mission near Walla Walla, WA was massacred in 1847 due to fears of white encroachment on Cayuse land and a measles outbreak that killed half the local Cayuse population. 13 settlers (including Dr. Marcus and Narcissa Whitman) were killed, resulting in the US military battling the Cayuse for 8 years; their population as of 2010 was 304. If you pass down the Oregon Trail prior to the massacre you can actually meet the Whitmans.

And another river!

I've actually been to the remains of the mission. I did not meet the Whitmans. Fortunately.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Caulk and float never fails. It can only be failed.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Also voting for Caulk and float.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

megane posted:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Yup, time to caulk and float this bad boy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

megane posted:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Give us more caulk!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Not sure how this happens when we're floating, but double-teaming the animals gets us unstuck.

Unlike last time, we're able to clear the path and move forward.

Truckee Meadows is a valley where the water from the Truckee River drains. We're back to territory with water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWKo-CBuq6U

I really like that their plan for keeping the wagon up was "Put the skinny teenager right on the edge of a cliff and hope he can hold the 2000-pound wagon up in case anything goes wrong."

Oh. That's why they played that video.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Same as before, I suppose - double team to go up and rope'n'chain to come down. It's worked so far.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Black Robe posted:

Same as before, I suppose - double team to go up and rope'n'chain to come down. It's worked so far.

:goleft:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Black Robe posted:

Sounds good to me.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Black Robe posted:

:emptyquote:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I know it's meant to wait until other people come along to clear things up for you, but it's kinda funny to me that one of the options for dealing with fallen rocks is to "wait for conditions to improve". Like the rocks are eventually gonna just walk off on their own.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's a disconcerting name for a place. This is where the Donner Party wintered and nearly died out.

Cold Stream Pass is a relatively easy shortcut, unlike the others we've skipped. It's longer than the main route but the steepest part is much shorter.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
drat the torpedoes, full speed ahead! We'll sacrifice the kid to get over the mountain okay!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
We should see who's around.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

chitoryu12 posted:

That's a disconcerting name for a place. This is where the Donner Party wintered and nearly died out.

Cold Stream Pass is a relatively easy shortcut, unlike the others we've skipped. It's longer than the main route but the steepest part is much shorter.

:crossarms:

Anyway, let’s go for Cold Stream Pass.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We just went through a desert, therefore a place named after a water feature makes sense. Cold Stream.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Taking Cold Stream Pass, we hit an uphill portion through a canyon. Double-teaming like usual gets us up it.

Definitely better than a desert! Let's see who's around.

"Some folks is all worried, afraid we might get caught in the winter snows. But we still ought to rest. Rome wasn't built in a day, and one more day on this trail isn't going to make a bit of difference. Take the hurry out of your step. We'll get there soon enough. Trip won't get any easier for all our rushing along."

This is one of those places where you want to look at your map. While I could be mean, I'll let you know that the path to Truckee Meadows is literally just going backwards.

Johnson's Ranch is the last stop before Sutter's Fort. It was used as the base of operations for the rescue of the Donner Party after the seven survivors of the Forlorn Hope party staggered in to get help.

Here's our inventory if you want to buy anything:

quote:

Current Weight: 2459 lbs.
Cash: $454.67

Animals
6 oxen

Clothing
9 sets of clothing
4 pairs of shoes
8 pairs of socks

Firearms/ammunition
3 boxes of 20 bullets
1 rifle

Food
134 pounds of bacon
3 pounds of coffee beans
2 10-lb. sacks of cornmeal
3 10-lb. sacks of dried beans
55 5-lb. tins of dried bread
9 10-lb. sacks of flour
6 20-lb. sacks of rice
35 5-lb. tins of biscuits
40 pounds of butter
8 16-oz. jars of molasses

Medicines
1 6-oz. bottle of alum
1 4-oz. bottle of peppermint
1 6-oz. bottle of sulfur
1 16-oz. bottle of isopropyl alcohol
51 gallon jugs of whiskey

Miscellany
2 boxes of matches
5 10-bar boxes of soap

Spices
3 10-lb. sacks of sugar

Tools/utensils
1 coffee pot
1 30-foot length of rope
1 set of cooking utensils
1 skillet
2 tin cups
4 tin plates
1 pitchfork
3 water kegs

Wagons/parts
1 spare wagon axle
1 large farmwagon

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I note a disappointing lack of grandfather clocks in the inventory. Also more bullets.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

I note a disappointing lack of grandfather clocks in the inventory. Also more bullets.

We also need more whiskey and laudanum.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
We should buy any missing spare wagon parts, bacon, coffee, and laudanum.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Water kegs, spare parts.

Seriously, guys. I know very little about this game, but I know there's plenty of desert between the Sierra Nevadas and Sacramento. We'll need as much water as we can carry.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Buy up any wagon parts they have. If something breaks that we can't fix, it could be disastrous.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Cythereal posted:

Water kegs, spare parts.

Seriously, guys. I know very little about this game, but I know there's plenty of desert between the Sierra Nevadas and Sacramento. We'll need as much water as we can carry.

This here. Don't mess with deserts.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Cythereal posted:

Water kegs, spare parts.

This, strongly, but also: COFFEE. You cross deserts at night and need coffee to stay up late, right? :downs:

:coffeepal:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Water kegs, spare parts for wagon

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

We still have 0 mills.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Parts, water, coffee mill

Maybe a spare ox or two if that's something we can do

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

chitoryu12 posted:

This is one of those places where you want to look at your map. While I could be mean, I'll let you know that the path to Truckee Meadows is literally just going backwards.

The numerous places this happens bug the hell out of me. There's already a button in the menu to turn around that you can use any time, they didn't need to make trail options that do it too.

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's our inventory if you want to buy anything:

Buy more bullets and gunpowder, then wipe out every living thing west of the mountains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
We should have turned around and gone back to Independence, Missouri for more grandfather clocks.