Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Kai Opaka is pretty cool.

Kai Winn's assistant seems pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5IKthNYhVY

(Watch with sound on)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Come on trying to kill O'Brien is only a $50 fine

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Furel and Lupaza are cool

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Gul Dukat's daughter is half Bajoran.
does "knows her dad is a fascist but loves him" not fall under either dumb or crazy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bless

thank you

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pinterest Mom posted:

Furel and Lupaza are cool

does "knows her dad is a fascist but loves him" not fall under either dumb or crazy

Well my dad voted for Trump and Roy Moore for all I know, I just try to ignore it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Come on trying to kill O'Brien is only a $50 fine

I watched the episode where they take Odo back to the Founders cause he's sick, and they judge him and make him permasolid. There's this great moment where Garak asks about the survivors of the Obsidian Order/Tal Shiar attack on the Founders and the female changeling just exasperatedly throws in his face "they're dead. You're dead. Cardassia is dead." and fuuuck, Garak's face.

So he tries to hijack the weapon systems for a suicidal attack to wipe out the Founders, and Worf narrowly stops him.

And... afterwards... he gets six months in jail? For all of that?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
yeah weird 'cuz he was right

wiping out the Founders was exactly the right move, it wasn't even pre-emptive at that point. the Founders were upfront, bona fide motherfuckers and i hope they Burn in the fyre cavés

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jun 3, 2019

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Science-fiction genocide, in which all members of the species (edit: except for Odo and the other ninety-nine castaways) are literally complicit and hostile forces due to being part of a loose "drop becomes the ocean, ocean becomes the drop" hivemind, doesn't have the moral implications of real genocide. It's been almost a year since I watched the finale and I don't remember enough about the series to judge whether that was right or wrong

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 3, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If they really wanted to bring an end to the dominion war, what they should have done was bring Patrick to the negotiation table, sat him down in front of the female changeling, and every time she said something evil, have him say "that's a stupid question/comment", and the war would be over in 20 minutes.

Somehow the female changeling walks away with her opinion on solids completely changed.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Nodosaur posted:

If they really wanted to bring an end to the dominion war, what they should have done was bring Patrick to the negotiation table, sat him down in front of the female changeling, and every time she said something evil, have him say "that's a stupid question/comment", and the war would be over in 20 minutes.

Somehow the female changeling walks away with her opinion on solids completely changed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

galenanorth posted:

Science-fiction genocide, in which all members of the species (edit: except for Odo and the other ninety-nine castaways) are literally complicit and hostile forces due to being part of a loose "drop becomes the ocean, ocean becomes the drop" hivemind, doesn't have the moral implications of real genocide. It's been almost a year since I watched the finale and I don't remember enough about the series to judge whether that was right or wrong

the Dominion was doing full-planet wipeouts, such as New Bajor, and had a history of doing so elsewhere even in peacetime conditions, with galling and intentional cruelty, such as Quickening Planet

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's not out of character nor irrational for the Federation to have a really hard time committing actual genocide, even if their enemies would do it without compunction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ashpanash posted:

It's not out of character nor irrational for the Federation to have a really hard time committing actual genocide, even if their enemies would do it without compunction.

Discovery: Hold my beer.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

the Dominion was doing full-planet wipeouts, such as New Bajor, and had a history of doing so elsewhere even in peacetime conditions, with galling and intentional cruelty, such as Quickening Planet

weird to see pick speaking out against sci fi nazis

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ashpanash posted:

eventually they leverage the threat of genocide anyway, garak just came to the conclusion faster

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

lol but posted:

weird to see pick speaking out against sci fi nazis

Cardassia was still producing people like Natima Lang, Ulani Belor, and Tekeny Ghemor so there's an innocent civilian dimension to bombardment of their homeworld (which ultimately happened of course), whereas the Founders are by their nature united and equal in culpability aside from the potential outliers like Laas who would not have been affected.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Cythereal posted:

Discovery: Hold my beer.

Discovery was pretty strong against genocide, too.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I watched Rapture the other day, when Sisko stops Bajor joining the Federation because of his visions. I think it's the episode that gave most to Brooks, and allowed his natural acting exuberance work for the character. In my re-watch it's my favourite complete episode of Brooks' acting so far. It was like the writer honed everything into the script so his scenery chewing would be entirely justified by the narrative. It's great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TIL that joke where Rom says he got an ear infection because of too much oomox, Leeta asks "Who's the lucky lady?" and he answers "No one, I've been doing it myself" is not just the first masturbation joke in Star Trek, but the first masturbation joke on American television.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

TIL that joke where Rom says he got an ear infection because of too much oomox, Leeta asks "Who's the lucky lady?" and he answers "No one, I've been doing it myself" is not just the first masturbation joke in Star Trek, but the first masturbation joke on American television.

It wasn't. Bar Association aired in 1996. The Seinfeld episode "The Contest" was from 1992.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mrenda posted:

I watched Rapture the other day, when Sisko stops Bajor joining the Federation because of his visions. I think it's the episode that gave most to Brooks, and allowed his natural acting exuberance work for the character. In my re-watch it's my favourite complete episode of Brooks' acting so far. It was like the writer honed everything into the script so his scenery chewing would be entirely justified by the narrative. It's great.

For all the improvements in DS9 as time went on, I kind of miss S1's "gleefully insane" Sisko

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Epicurius posted:

It wasn't. Bar Association aired in 1996. The Seinfeld episode "The Contest" was from 1992.

This guy knows his wank jokes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah whoever told me that is dumb

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

marktheando posted:

This guy knows his wank jokes.

Thank you, your honor.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Snow Cone Capone posted:

For all the improvements in DS9 as time went on, I kind of miss S1's "gleefully insane" Sisko

People make fun of "do you have any idea how incredible this is" but the man delivers that like he's playing piano keys.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Snow Cone Capone posted:

However I do like “I loving hate my job” Sisko that came after that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah, Sisko is great no matter what, but these first few episodes where he's grinning like a maniac and just hamming it up :discourse:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Happy manic Sisko is best Sisko. After S1 we get Hammock Time and we get bond supervillain "HA!" but that's about it unfortunately.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Happy manic Sisko is best Sisko. After S1 we get Hammock Time and we get bond supervillain "HA!" but that's about it unfortunately.

He seemed to enjoy building that clock

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

When Quark and Rom broke into his office he kind of just seemed like he was idly staring into space

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also this, but unironically. I've never seen a trombone with valves, what's up with that

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

it's the future

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When Quark and Rom broke into his office he kind of just seemed like he was idly staring into space

He was in the middle of an hour-long nasal exhale.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
He is a man with a lot of complicated responsibilities. He was contemplating

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

He seemed to enjoy building that clock

That was season 1 though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would like to see a blooper reel where he does the "it seems that way" line and just loses his poo poo laughing, it looked like he was having trouble holding it in when he turns back to his desk.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I fukken love the joke of them accidentally existing in Sisko's office but drat they must have taken a lot of ladders to get up there, especially since it looks like they enter in the Habitat Ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

galenanorth posted:

One of the paradoxes of sci-fi, specifically the Trek variety where you also want to do morality plays, is that you have to somehow create alien species that are "interesting", as a whole, but also make it wrong to be racist against them. On one hand you're saying everyone from this planet does X, and on the other hand you're saying how dare you assume everyone from this planet does Y. And of course in some episodes it suits the writers' needs for a certain alien species to stand in for a certain personality type, but then it basically forever ruins that species from being used in racism allegories.