Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
So mad I didn't watch that live, but even the replay was awesome as hell. How did AJ not keep Ruiz away with that enormous reach advantage? He wasn't doing a great job of that even before his brains got fried in r3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

I listened to it as I was on a night shift and it almost sounded like Joshua didn't really give a poo poo?

Does seem as if he's let the hype get to him. Before the Klitschko fight he seemed really down to earth and was living with his mum. Now he's got 30+ hangers on and probably believed he didn't have to put the work in to beat Ruiz.

Hopefully he gets his head together and maybe looks at the people around him before coming back.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t think it’s fair to say he didn’t give a poo poo. He kind of controlled the first two rounds, then knocked Ruiz down in the third, and then got brained on Ruiz’s counter and was never right after that.

He just got beaten, badly

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
He definitely got concussed in the third round, but looking back, he seemed out of it during the ringwalk - eyes glazed over, chewing his mouthgaurd. Plus AJ's dad seemed mad at Eddie Hearn after the fight for something. Knocked out in sparring and covered up?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Monday Bandele posted:

He definitely got concussed in the third round, but looking back, he seemed out of it during the ringwalk - eyes glazed over, chewing his mouthgaurd. Plus AJ's dad seemed mad at Eddie Hearn after the fight for something. Knocked out in sparring and covered up?

The mouthpiece chew and the google eyes he was giving to his corner are the giveaways. There was no one home after that punch.

That was a really fun fight, I'm glad that I'm paying for da zone, a service that I have,

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think most people are mad at Eddie Hearn.

Probably because he's a huge oval office.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Hearn said: “Once the three positive drugs tests came in, we searched for a new opponent.

“I wasn’t under any instructions, it was a case of whoever you want.

“Someone sent me a direct message on Instagram: ‘I’m fighting Saturday. Give me this fight, I will fight harder than any of the names you’ve mentioned, I will give you a better fight and I will beat Anthony Joshua’.

“OK, that got my attention. We had a look, we saw him deal with and stop Alexander Dimitrenko on Fox and the discussions continued.

“I’ve found a man who had a burning desire to create history, to create a legacy, and become the first ever Mexican world heavyweight champion.”

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
AJ asking variations of the same question evey other round and repeating back the answers stuck out to me.

Ruiz's physique is amazing and I can't wait for the articles that get written in non boxing outlets, especialy if he defends the title.

Who is the last heavyweight champ that looked this tubby aside from 46 year old Foreman? Bowe?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
From looking at Ruiz career trajectory it looks like he lost a ton of motivation after that controversial decision loss in a title fight to Parker, the fight in April was Ruiz first fight for a long time. Reckon he wasn't looking after his physique during that period and expect to see him a lot more toned in his next fight (he'll always be chunky but the amount of flab he was carrying into the Joshua fight was excessive).

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Flayer posted:

From looking at Ruiz career trajectory it looks like he lost a ton of motivation after that controversial decision loss in a title fight to Parker, the fight in April was Ruiz first fight for a long time. Reckon he wasn't looking after his physique during that period and expect to see him a lot more toned in his next fight (he'll always be chunky but the amount of flab he was carrying into the Joshua fight was excessive).

He was a big fat guy in the Parker fight, too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The whole thing felt like Joshua didn't want to fight Ruiz and the post-fight was basically an "I told you this would happen, Eddie" vibe.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

blue footed boobie posted:

He was a big fat guy in the Parker fight, too.
Ruiz was big yeah but still 12lb lighter, which is quite significant. Hell, Ruiz was 6lb lighter for his fight in April so he was clearly out of shape big time for the Joshua match, which only makes the win more impressive.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
So Steve "Dinner" Rolls is totally sparking Triple G on Saturday right?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

part of it I think is that Hearn and DAZN were expecting this fight to be the moment that America embraced AJ as the real champion and support him against Fury. they couldn't predict that Wilder would KO Brezeale like he did, and also become a huge crossover star with the "til this day" press conference that gave him woke cred.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Flayer posted:

tbh i hope he doubles down on being a fat dude who beats the poo poo out of guys who look like joshua

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Well, they kinda could predict it, since he did it to everyone he ever fought. I don’t see Ruiz having the same effect on Fury or Wilder, if they end up being a thing: Wilder has more mettle than AJ, and Fury has more boxing sense than either of them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ruiz also said he specifically wanted Joshua and believed he saw openings he could exploit.

Lots of respect to Ruiz, you know a counterpuncher is skilled when his world championship 6'6" opponent is throwing two thirds their average work rate. I think he'll have trouble winning the rematch or beating the other two champs but mostly because after this fight everyone is gonna be super cautious mixing it up with him.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

I've been hearing a lot of people speculating about this, especially since earlier he apparently had some bruises while doing promotional appearances.

Well, there are reports that's what happened., although nothing has been confirmed yet

Jump King fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 4, 2019

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ruiz also said he specifically wanted Joshua and believed he saw openings he could exploit.

Lots of respect to Ruiz, you know a counterpuncher is skilled when his world championship 6'6" opponent is throwing two thirds their average work rate. I think he'll have trouble winning the rematch or beating the other two champs but mostly because after this fight everyone is gonna be super cautious mixing it up with him.

he looked to me like he was fully in control of the fight. i've never seen such an effective negation of a reach difference before (live). he seemed to be maintaining a perfect distance from joshua, cutting the ring very effectively and exploding into a range that joshua found extremely uncomfortable at a speed joshua was not ready for. i'm not convinced joshua wins the rematch easily. if he wins it, he'll have been in a fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Who is the last heavyweight champ that looked this tubby aside from 46 year old Foreman? Bowe?

Nobody. Ruiz Jr has the worst build of any heavyweight champion of all time. He‘s only 6’2 and turned pro at 300 pounds, weighed 268 on Saturday, and has never weighed less than 246. He looks loving ridiculous. He shouldn’t weigh anymore than 230.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Despite being obese, Ruiz can fight, and the Joshua rematch is no guaranteed win for AJ. If AJ loses again to Ruiz, his career would be seriously in doubt, and it’s doubtful the Wilder fight would ever happen. The rematch is huge stakes for Joshua.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The rematch has the potential to be a pretty marketable fight too, with how much attention this one has gotten.

Ruiz Jr has an excellent style for this matchup but there will be a lot of questions for the rematch. Did Ruiz get lucky with the temple shot? Was AJ compromised going into the fight? Will AJ be able to use a more appropriate style when Ruiz isn't a late replacement?

On the other hand, you have to ask how this will effect both fighters mentally. Joshua will know going in that Ruiz can clean his clock, and Ruiz will be the champion. They'll probably be fighting on terms more favorable to Ruiz. If the fight takes place in Cali or Las Vegas, he'll have a home field advantage and the crowd on his side. The judges will be more likely to score close rounds for Ruiz, since they've seen him win before. Ruiz will have a lot longer to train for Joshua, and he'll be able to do that as the champ with a loving Snickers endorsement.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Some people were complaining that the fight was stopped early. Joshua looked like he was getting pummeled and there was over 1:30 left in the round.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol. If anything it should have been ended earlier.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Joshua never really recovered from the first knockdown, he sure as poo poo wasn't recovering from the 4th.

Also, he was definitely concussed:

https://twitter.com/GMSBoxing/status/1135142204387840001

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
transcript of Joshua's corner on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comments/bvymm5/joshua_talking_to_his_corner_between_rounds/

imo McCracken laid out exactly the right plan on how to recover and win the fight, problem is Joshua thought he was on the moon

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's a good transcript, erie how Joshua sounds. AJ went into the fight concussed from a hard knockdown in camp, doesn't that make the many hard shots and knock downs in the fight even worse for his health?

It's so lovely that everyone around him has an incentive to let the fight continue anyway; do all camps have doctors or just some?

Also, if Joshua is coachable I think the rematch is good for him; Ruiz seems like he really needs you to exchange so he can counter. A gameplan based around what McCracken was trying to get going between rounds sounds good.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 4, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Joshua's going to be fighting his own mentality in the rematch as well as a dude who just gave him a tonking.

If he can come back mentally stronger from it though, he'll be doing really well

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ruiz looks easy to tire out. Letting a guy chase you for eight rounds, tying up his arms, and eating body shots might not make for an exciting match, but it would have been a smarter play than what we got.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Jack B Nimble posted:

AJ went into the fight concussed from a hard knockdown in camp, doesn't that make the many hard shots and knock downs in the fight even worse for his health?

Yeah, it's bad if you're not recovered from one concussion leading into the next. On top of the obvious hazards of not being 100% able to fight.

I wonder if his dad had the ability to get cornermen to throw in the towel?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Huh. Zab Judah is back in action this Friday. He hasn't fought since January 2018 and has only fought twice since his loss to Paulie Malignaggi in 2013, this would be his third fight since.

Judah is 41 years old.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Zab was actually a nurse for dementia patients as of late 2017. Not sure if he's still doing that in this latest comeback.

https://www.theroot.com/boxer-zab-judah-is-turning-his-life-around-one-patient-1821051914

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1135952106991640576?s=19

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That's a long way out, AJ's team must really want time to plan.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, that's a good transcript, erie how Joshua sounds. AJ went into the fight concussed from a hard knockdown in camp, doesn't that make the many hard shots and knock downs in the fight even worse for his health?

It's so lovely that everyone around him has an incentive to let the fight continue anyway; do all camps have doctors or just some

Worth noting that Joshua's team has been denying the knockout in camp.

Also worth noting that the report is that he was knocked out by another fat little heavyweight with a much worse ranking than Ruiz, so it's not all that reassuring if that is true.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Dig up Emanuel Steward’s bones and get him into AJ’s camp.

I agree that an immediate rematch, especially so far out, is maybe not the best idea, but it is the only chance Joshua will have to get all 3 belts back, so that’s a primary driver for this. Going to be massive pressure on AJ though. He better pray that Ruiz comes into the rematch at 300 pounds. If he loses, he’s basically either retired or in the wilderness; building himself back up fighting cans.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So if Ruiz is a counter puncher who punishes over eager aggression, doesn't he match up well with Wilder?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think Wilder's crazy range, wicked speed and absolute dynamite makes it difficult for Ruiz to do what he did to Joshua. Wilder also seems to have a better chin or at the very least, recuperative power.

Wilder is also the least patient finisher in the division, so he could do something dumb in the same way, but he's just so oppressive in his attack I have trouble imagining Ruiz staying on his feet long enough to walk Wilder down.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Ruiz is going to be on Jimmy Kimmel tonight. Crazy how much that temple shot will change his life.

Just from a perspective in terms of how much attention is being paid to boxing, and I'm thinking anecdotally from what I see on places like the ESPN main page, The Ringer (who never write anything about boxing) deadspin etc has this the most exposure the sport has had since MayMac if you count that as boxing. Probably MayPac if you dont. So unexpected and I guess as fans we owe a debt to BigBaby and the many substances for which he tested positive

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 5, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think Wilder's crazy range, wicked speed and absolute dynamite makes it difficult for Ruiz to do what he did to Joshua. Wilder also seems to have a better chin or at the very least, recuperative power.

Wilder is also the least patient finisher in the division, so he could do something dumb in the same way, but he's just so oppressive in his attack I have trouble imagining Ruiz staying on his feet long enough to walk Wilder down.

Honesty all of the big 3 heavyweights are extremely vulnerable, which is a big part of what makes the division so exciting right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyson Fury: Baddest man on the planet.

Not sure if hilarious, depressing, or both in huge quantities.