Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So did Mawuh ever end up choosing between the bottle or the gun?

Edit: Page sniped with the only true moral choice in Pokemon Reborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

NewMars posted:

So did Mawuh ever end up choosing between the bottle or the gun?

Well he drank Ronch

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Explopyro posted:

Are we forgetting the cringey bits where Cain would break into song with Pokemon intro lyrics? (That was Cain, wasn't it? I don't trust my brain any more.)

Any reminder of the horror that is "songfic" is irredeemable.

im not a fan of the song parodies either but they weren't that bad

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

Well he drank Ronch

He thinks he drank Ronch, but he was drunk at the time.

Personally, I still believe that Ronch is out there, watching over us all.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Blaze Dragon posted:

Without the third he'd be okay but with it he's one of the best characters in the game, entirely because the bar is so horrendously low.
Oh yeah that's exactly what I mean. It's not that I think he deserves more votes (I threw mine in the Amaria pile) it's that it's amazing just how deep this stupid hole has gotten.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Remember how much we hated 'explosions lol' Julia at the start of the LP? At the moment she's still part of the '0 votes' crew on that worst character poll, that's how deep the game's been digging itself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Remember how we used to think Uranium was a bad Pokemon fangame?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

PMush Perfect posted:

Ah, that was a much more innocent time.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Uranium at least let you no-sell the final boss... Though you still had a 50/50 shot of facing the leader who could tear you a new rear end in a top hat in the obligatory tournament right before that.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Heck we used to think Insurgence is gonna be an insufferable edgy trainwreck and that turned out really fuckin' good. Shows what a bit of self awareness can get you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Don't lose your perspective here; Insurgence and Uranium are also bad. Uranium has a Titanic-disaster-themed ice Pokémon and Insurgence expects you to grind an entire party to level 20 or something on one route before the first gym. They're just not as bad as Reborn.

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

megane posted:

Don't lose your perspective here; Insurgence and Uranium are also bad. Uranium has a Titanic-disaster-themed ice Pokémon and Insurgence expects you to grind an entire party to level 20 or something on one route before the first gym. They're just not as bad as Reborn.

Yeah, Reborn redefined the scale of terrible, but don't let it redefine what you consider good. Let it serve as a case study of what lies a mile below the bottom of the well, but for the love of god, please don't drink the mud a mile up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

megane posted:

Insurgence expects you to grind an entire party to level 20 or something on one route before the first gym

Or just grab a level 19 Magikarp and use a rare candy from the next room over like the speedrun does and not give a gently caress. :v:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kyrosiris posted:

Or just grab a level 19 Magikarp and use a rare candy from the next room over like the speedrun does and not give a gently caress. :v:

Yeah, this. Uranium and Insurgence (and most games, because it's the sane thing to do) give you options. In Reborn there is only the One True Way, and that way sucks rear end. Fully expecting all of OFS' alternate strategies thus far to be patched out with the next update.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Uranium also has Daikatuna, which is the best name for a fakemon, and Top Boy who has that rare good fakemon design. Shame about the rest (ok, no, I liked Titanice but it was suuuper tasteless).

The real problem with insurgence is mostly the massive grind throughout the game and the decision to increase the level cap (which mostly just aggravated the former); as dumb as the grimdark bits can be, they can be turned off and they're never as bad as reborn, and the non-grind difficulty is both advertised upfront and doesn't get unreasonable outside of grind until the postgame. It's definitely flawed and I wouldn't say it's good because of those flaws, but I hesitate to call it outright bad. It's ok.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Remember how much we hated 'explosions lol' Julia at the start of the LP? At the moment she's still part of the '0 votes' crew on that worst character poll, that's how deep the game's been digging itself.
She dug herself out of her hole a LOT by just being all "wow this poo poo is crazy huh?" at Amaria's bullshit.

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh it's still bad, but at least it was trying to be a pokemon game

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and even the grimdark bits is pretty hilarious in a saturday morning cartoon fashion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zereth posted:

Oh it's still bad, but at least it was trying to be a pokemon game

Yeah, I think that's the major thing that separates Uranium and Insurgence from Reborn - there's an obvious love for the setting and series at play, whereas that is completely absent in Reborn. Ame's even said as much that she hates Pokemon, but even if she hadn't it's something that shows through in the work.

(And to separate Uranium and Insurgence, it's more that the latter has that same sort of charm as a main-line game, with a few exceptions. Yeah, the Victory Road is completely crap, and there's a few instances of :stonk:-level violence or questionable ideas, but on the whole there's a lot of humor and touches that I wouldn't find very far out of place in a main-line game.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I think that's the major thing that separates Uranium and Insurgence from Reborn - there's an obvious love for the setting and series at play, whereas that is completely absent in Reborn. Ame's even said as much that she hates Pokemon, but even if she hadn't it's something that shows through in the work.

(And to separate Uranium and Insurgence, it's more that the latter has that same sort of charm as a main-line game, with a few exceptions. Yeah, the Victory Road is completely crap, and there's a few instances of :stonk:-level violence or questionable ideas, but on the whole there's a lot of humor and touches that I wouldn't find very far out of place in a main-line game.)

<NAME_HERE>

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kurieg posted:

<NAME_HERE>

That poo poo was hysterical, and probably the high water mark of stuff that felt like it was right out of an official game. That and the electric gym's miscellaneous trainers all being named after famous scientists and stuff.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the grind in main story Insurgence is overstated, although it does exist. You don't really need to overlevel content, in fact I did most trainer fights while underleveled, and Audinos make it pretty painless to catch up Pokemon to a decent base level. Hell, I actually switched my team quite a bit in that game and I never did that in real Pokemon games because grinding in those games usually sucks until post-game. The one moment where it's pretty poo poo is right before the first gym, and that's a design flaw, they screwed up the leveling curve for the early game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i wonder if that was just because the devs didn't really know how to design low level difficulty so they just raised the bar until they were working with level ranges and movesets they were comfortable with

i also kind of assume most reborn fans don't actually play the game and are just into the character interactions and lore

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I can at least appreciate Insurgence GOT BETTER as the game went on. Like, it was at least self aware enough to be enjoyable on a conceptual level. Hell, I’m actually looking FORWARD to seeing what the sequel game is gonna be like, some of the teased crystal evolutions (Read: Megas) look kinda nice.

This? This got WORSE. The Hole was a trainwreck from the start (which as mentioned was loving -toned down- from what it was originally), and they intend to have you 6 v 108 pokemon in a row for their “post-game” gym leader rematches AND intend for over level 100 pokemon (with ALL the EVs and perfect IVs I can only assume) in the next episode? loving sit and spin on a railroad spike, Amethyst.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 3, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kyrosiris posted:

That poo poo was hysterical, and probably the high water mark of stuff that felt like it was right out of an official game. That and the electric gym's miscellaneous trainers all being named after famous scientists and stuff.
"Don't get too excited, you'll change state!"

Dias posted:

I think the grind in main story Insurgence is overstated, although it does exist. You don't really need to overlevel content, in fact I did most trainer fights while underleveled, and Audinos make it pretty painless to catch up Pokemon to a decent base level. Hell, I actually switched my team quite a bit in that game and I never did that in real Pokemon games because grinding in those games usually sucks until post-game. The one moment where it's pretty poo poo is right before the first gym, and that's a design flaw, they screwed up the leveling curve for the early game.
The level curve is pretty screwed up compared to official Pokemon games, and there's still a lot of grinding, IIRC from DN's LP of Insurgence. It's just that unlike Reborn, where you just have to suck it up and keep grinding, Insurgence provides you with a trainer who has appropriately-leveled Audinos with no offensive moves to feed you exp. Insurgence's devs recognized there was a problem and slapped a band-aid on it, while Amethyst (and most of the Reborn community) have firmly clapped her hands over their ears and are shouting "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" at the top of their lungs. Neither are good game design, but Insurgence comes out looking better in comparison because they were trying.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Commander Keene posted:

"Don't get too excited, you'll change state!"

I was grinning like an idiot all day after that update. :D

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I sincerely hope Ame's new project, Starlight Divide, is completed and published at some point.

While this game has its flaws, at the end of the day she actually made a game. As someone who half asses everything I do and usually quits when things get hard, the fact she actually made a thing is kinda impressive even if the thing is this.

I feel curious as to what the next thing will be, especially if it's a thing she cares about this time.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 3, 2019

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

megane posted:

Uranium has a Titanic-disaster-themed ice Pokémon
I think it's been plenty long enough.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My pokemon fangame is gonna have pokemon based on classic greek philosophers, and Socratrees will evolve into a ghost type if there's a Hemmlok in the party

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Scarodactyl posted:

I think it's been plenty long enough.

It's not the fragile feelings of Titanic survivors I'm worrying about here, but rather the fact that it's a super dumb design

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

megane posted:

It's not the fragile feelings of Titanic survivors I'm worrying about here, but rather the fact that it's a super dumb design

Why is this what gets you and not the part where the main villain Pokemon is the MC's mom

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why is this what gets you and not the part where the main villain Pokemon is the MC's mom

Snorlax is a weird choice for a baddie Pokemon but hey.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Tunicate posted:

My pokemon fangame is gonna have pokemon based on classic greek philosophers, and Socratrees will evolve into a ghost type if there's a Hemmlok in the party

I'd play it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's a pokemon game but with no actual pokemon. Instead two old men who have retired from training invite you, a young trainer, to discuss with them about pokemon. They begin their "honest discussion" with a hypothetical.

"Let's say a wild ditto were to appear."

and the game takes you into the mind's eye: a battle.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a pokemon game but with no actual pokemon. Instead two old men who have retired from training invite you, a young trainer, to discuss with them about pokemon. They begin their "honest discussion" with a hypothetical.

"Let's say a wild ditto were to appear."

and the game takes you into the mind's eye: a battle.

ah, good old rowancrantz and captain stern

or maybe horkgrimer and slowdorno, from a diglet of enlightenment

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Whenever my Socratrees and Platuna double battle, the Platuna keeps changing Socratrees' moves to match it's own, it's really annoying.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I wanna battle Diogenes, who has a chicken Pokemon nicknamed Human.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Player's name defaults to Glaucon.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

NewMars posted:

Personally, I still believe that Ronch is out there, watching over us all.

Ronch evolved into Cool Ronch and then transcended into The Coolest Ronch. It then learned Teleport and transported Mawuh out of Reborn and into LA Noire, where it plays Mawuh's sidekick and has nothing but supportive things to say about Mawuh and their policework.

Because it is just The Coolest like that.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, this. Uranium and Insurgence (and most games, because it's the sane thing to do) give you options. In Reborn there is only the One True Way, and that way sucks rear end. Fully expecting all of OFS' alternate strategies thus far to be patched out with the next update.

I don't think Uranium gave you much in the way of clear cut options if you weren't hard up on the latest competitive strats and meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I don't think Uranium gave you much in the way of clear cut options if you weren't hard up on the latest competitive strats and meta.

They gave you MEGAWEAPON, did they really need to give you anything else? :colbert: