Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STONE COLD 64 posted:

what else is new

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

VJeff posted:

https://twitter.com/VivaLaRooney/status/1135218495397011457

You fuckers told me Alvarez didn't take any bumps!

Geek of the Week right here.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Garrett had some realllll lovely Ambrose takes this morning

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

Who's Garrett? Bicschoff?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

sportsgenius86 posted:

You could at least post a brief summary.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

You could at least post a brief summary.

He was saying that Ambrose didn’t sound grateful enough on Talk is Jericho. And basically buried his WWE work.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

His WWE work was not up to the level of rival top guys. :shrug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LividLiquid posted:

Who's Garrett? Bicschoff?

Garrett Gonazalez, he's the fill-in host on Wrestling Observer when Bryan can't do a show with Dave. Generally speaking he's quiet and just guides Dave through the subjects for discussion, but he's been doing more shows recently since Bryan is a lot busier and is starting to throw in more of his own opinions/points of view.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Should I be happy or sad that I haven't been able to re-up my subscription for a while?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

sportsgenius86 posted:

i've also been less then pleased with the sasha banks takes from bryan (and dave to a lesser extent) since the jericho podcast. especially since PAC basically did the same thing they complain sasha is doing and i dont remember them saying a loving word when he did it

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Garrett irked me by wasting the first twelve minutes of show time talking about loving boxing.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

Garrett irked me by wasting the first twelve minutes of show time talking about loving boxing.

Ruiz-Joshua was way cooler than anything that happened in wrestling this year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

PaybackJack posted:

Look at this idiot

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I normally see Dave's side of things but him and Garrett defending Cornette on the most recent WOR was pretty awful. As was their ridiculous chiding of people looking to be offended. gently caress off, old men.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Strange choice to bring it up in the first place.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ICHIBAHN posted:

I normally see Dave's side of things but him and Garrett defending Cornette on the most recent WOR was pretty awful. As was their ridiculous chiding of people looking to be offended. gently caress off, old men.
Aww. I'm so tired, y'all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It was a very lazy take for a reporter. I can understand rolling your eyes when Joey Ryan is trying to get Jim fired but Sonny's fiance was obviously sincere and that was not a hard tweet to find.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i've also been less then pleased with the sasha banks takes from bryan (and dave to a lesser extent) since the jericho podcast. especially since PAC basically did the same thing they complain sasha is doing and i dont remember them saying a loving word when he did it

Yeah I haven't been a fan of that stuff either, it strikes me as very much being in an mindset based on the way things "used to be" as opposed to the madhouse of insane abuse/neglect and psychologically crushing atmosphere of the modern WWE work environment.

Ironically, drawing a parallel with Moxley's situation, he talked about how he doesn't blame Austin for their disastrous podcast, but he also felt like he was caught between a rock and a hard place because Austin was still in a 20-year-old mentality giving advice based on the way things used to be backstage back then as opposed to the way things are now. Bryan seems to be in the same place insisting that Sasha should just shut up and quietly do her job then move on after that, which as things currently stand would be subjecting herself to another 2-3 years of being treated like a piece of poo poo, lied to, given brief moments of hope only to have them flung out the door at the last second etc which isn't something that ANYBODY should have to put up with.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan seems to be in the same place insisting that Sasha should just shut up and quietly do her job then move on after that, which as things currently stand would be subjecting herself to another 2-3 years of being treated like a piece of poo poo, lied to, given brief moments of hope only to have them flung out the door at the last second etc which isn't something that ANYBODY should have to put up with.

I think PAC/Sasha going home might lead to the company changing the way they do business if enough people follow their lead and show that contract freezing isn't enough of a deterrent anymore but, at least right now, it's definitely not the way that gets you out of there faster.

One thing that makes it a bit hard for me to sympathize with Sasha is her signing a new long-term deal not that long before the fallout happened. I know that they likely made her all sorts of promises regarding the tag titles but it seems a bit naive to me to put any stock in a promise made by this company.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

I know that they likely made her all sorts of promises regarding the tag titles but it seems a bit naive to me to put any stock in a promise made by this company.

Of course in that case, why should she have to quietly hold up her end of the contract when WWE aren't holding up theirs?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

In actual sports top players are sitting out seasons if they're unhappy with their situation and it worked for each of them. It's valid.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Of course in that case, why should she have to quietly hold up her end of the contract when WWE aren't holding up theirs?

I imagine it's more that by giving WWE reason to spite you, you're more likely to find time magically tacked onto your deal, like Harper, one of the Revival, and I think PAC, so if Sasha's goal is to get out, her best option is to not give WWE reason to find a way to tack on time.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
of course tacking on time for an indepdendent contractor contract does seem to be legally impermissable as it further entrenches them as employees but thats the whole machine to fight

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Unionize, WWE! :argh:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Jerusalem posted:

Because the her contract is a legal document that Sasha (and I assume a legal representative) looked over, approved of & signed. The WWE telling her that the new womens' tag division around her & Bayley was a vague, non-binding promise that the WWE changed their mind on, just like they change their minds about everything else. Obviously, Sasha got hosed, but she has to shoulder some of the responsibility for trusting in a company which has made so many bad-faith promises to performers in the past, then signing a long-term deal with these assholes. Same with PAC, same with anybody else who signs a deal. If the WWE is making all sorts of bold claims about how you'll be used in your job, it's your responsibility as an independent contractor to get it in writing, because their word is worthless.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Unionize, WWE! :argh:

People say that all of the time and they don’t realize it, a union in pro wrestling would put pro wrestling out of business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

People say that all of the time and they don’t realize it, a union in pro wrestling would put pro wrestling out of business.

If a company can't exist when its workers are protected by unionization, then it doesn't deserve to exist :colbert:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Incessant Excess posted:

Literally every industry ever has said that.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Incessant Excess posted:

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Incessant Excess posted:

What J-Ru said, 100%. If you can't afford to treat the people who create almost all the value in your company decently then quit trying to run a business you failure.

This is a line of attack used by every industry since the beginning of trade unionism in the 19th century and very rarely is it proven right. Workers get somewhere around 15% of revenue in WWE, in the major US sports leagues with players associations the revenue split is around 50/50. And if you think the WWE cannot afford to pay their performers a much more equitable split and still remain profitable you have bought in hard on a lie.

Actually I have vague memories the WWE wrestler revenue share could be nearer 10% than 15 but thought I'd go for the more charitable number.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

dsriggs posted:

Literally every industry ever has said that.

And about getting rid of slavery and child labour, paying women and non whites the same as white men, introducing basic health and safety protocols... basically anything that isn't just letting the rich hoard all the wealth like poo poo dragons.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I thought you'd recognize the quote. :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

Oh poo poo sorry dude, was it Cody?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Incessant Excess posted:

Oh no... :ohdear:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Jerusalem posted:

Oh poo poo sorry dude, was it Cody?

It's what landed him in a bit of hot water, yea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I apologize for thinking you were a Pinkerton, IE :blush:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

dsriggs posted:

Because the her contract is a legal document that Sasha (and I assume a legal representative) looked over, approved of & signed. The WWE telling her that the new womens' tag division around her & Bayley was a vague, non-binding promise that the WWE changed their mind on, just like they change their minds about everything else. Obviously, Sasha got hosed, but she has to shoulder some of the responsibility for trusting in a company which has made so many bad-faith promises to performers in the past, then signing a long-term deal with these assholes. Same with PAC, same with anybody else who signs a deal. If the WWE is making all sorts of bold claims about how you'll be used in your job, it's your responsibility as an independent contractor to get it in writing, because their word is worthless.

i get bryan and dave's point that if sasha wants out, the simpliest path with the least question marks is finishing the contract but:

a. wwe is such a toxic environment i will never support making anyone work there for one second longer than they want to

b. three years of sitting in catering with the occasional dark match is going to kill sasha's career so if she can get out after a year like PAC that's absolutely the right path to go

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i get bryan and dave's point that if sasha wants out, the simpliest path with the least question marks is finishing the contract but:

a. wwe is such a toxic environment i will never support making anyone work there for one second longer than they want to

b. three years of sitting in catering with the occasional dark match is going to kill sasha's career so if she can get out after a year like PAC that's absolutely the right path to go

c. there's a great chance she suffers a career-ending injury while working three more years of WWE's lovely touring schedule

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Incessant Excess posted:

I think PAC/Sasha going home might lead to the company changing the way they do business if

I'm just gonna stop you right here and say no, no it won't change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm fully on Sasha's side, but.

I dunno man, re-upping for 3 years in the middle of 2018 is hard for me to get around. I get that she thought she was gonna get the tag titles and it was gonna be great and they'd have these new titles that would get more women on the card and they'd have matches with all kinds of new people and defend them on every brand, awesome. But how many times had Sasha already gotten hosed over by that point?

I hope she gets her release without having to work another day for this wretched company but I just more wish she hadn't re-signed with them in the first place right before AEW became a thing.