Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I guess I'll finally find out how trustworthy Reynard really is once he's free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I wonder if he could make a fake mark on his head the same way he modifies his body normally. Not having Annie's symbol would be a dead giveaway for anyone familiar enough with Renard.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I wonder if he could make a fake mark on his head the same way he modifies his body normally. Not having Annie's symbol would be a dead giveaway for anyone familiar enough with Renard.

I'm pretty sure the mark is just a visual metaphor sort of thing, for the reader's benefit. I can't remember anyone in the comic indicating that they could see it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Hetty commented on it.

e: link

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 3, 2019

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If Annie is smart, before she agrees to this, she'll say something like "Renard, I command you to tell me the truth: if you were free of my control, would you do anything that would cause harm to me or my family or my friends?" and then renard will probably say "yeah i'd probably kill your dad" and then we'll all know that this is a terrible idea

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DontMockMySmock posted:

If Annie is smart, before she agrees to this, she'll say something like "Renard, I command you to tell me the truth: if you were free of my control, would you do anything that would cause harm to me or my family or my friends?" and then renard will probably say "yeah i'd probably kill your dad" and then we'll all know it's perfectly fine

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
What if this isn't actually an Arbiter?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ditocoaf posted:

I'm pretty sure the mark is just a visual metaphor sort of thing, for the reader's benefit. I can't remember anyone in the comic indicating that they could see it.

Hettie could see it.

Interesting that he's reverted to toy-form, he hasn't used that in a long time. Also both Annies there subtly manipulating him into staying...

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I wonder if the Court will crack down on Renard if he's free. When Eaglemore gave Annie her toy back he said that the court won't do anything to him because he's in her custody. But he also said that there's no telling what he would do if he were free, so maybe that's when the court comes down on him.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

We know he'll stay; Coyote doesn't lie.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kikas posted:

I wonder if the Court will crack down on Renard if he's free. When Eaglemore gave Annie her toy back he said that the court won't do anything to him because he's in her custody. But he also said that there's no telling what he would do if he were free, so maybe that's when the court comes down on him.

Don't think the court is in a very good state to try and crack down on someone who's basically been an ally for years now.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Interesting to reconsider this given that Loup expressed no interest in Coyote's tooth: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=824

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

Interesting to reconsider this given that Loup expressed no interest in Coyote's tooth: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=824

Most likely the memory of the tooth was included in what was given away.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure what new light you are seeing that page in. The running theory is Coyote hid the knowledge of his tooth in one on the objects he gave to Smitty and Parley, so Loup couldn't express interest. Presumably he would have if he did, since he did express interest in reclaiming everything else from the Court he felt any kind of ownership over, including Renard. Well not exactly Renard, but the power Coyote gave him.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Geez, sorry I'm not up on the thread meta, lol.

Guess it's just interesting to me how early on this was set up as a thing Coyote wanted to keep from Ysengrin.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He has refused emancipation in the past and believes he deserves bondage.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

Interesting that he's reverted to toy-form, he hasn't used that in a long time.

He's not been a major part of a chapter for a little while either, and went to toy form the moment a few pages ago. Think it's still more of a "being angry, messing with people, needing 'hands'" sort of thing.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

GunnerJ posted:

Geez, sorry I'm not up on the thread meta, lol.

Guess it's just interesting to me how early on this was set up as a thing Coyote wanted to keep from Ysengrin.

I'm sorry for explaining it to you? :shrug:

It is interesting how far back into the story the knife stretches, and it's one of the reasons I don't think Coyote is actually dead. Hiding it from Loup sounds like a decent reason to hide it from himself. Though the main reason I think Coyote isn't gone is his story of tricking himself into thinking he was dead, and oh hey the gifts that we know are actually memories come right after that.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 3, 2019

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeah, Coyote being perma-dead seems really unlikely to me for the same reason. Although he did seem genuinely surprised by what Ysengrin did after giving him his strength, so maybe this isn't all exactly "just as planned" either.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I've posted this before, but Coyote 100% gave Annie his tooth as a means of last resort against Ysengrin after he was killed. The whole reason he threatened Annie to not tell anyone about his tooth was specifically to hide that knowledge from Ysengrin.

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, Coyote being perma-dead seems really unlikely to me for the same reason. Although he did seem genuinely surprised by what Ysengrin did after giving him his strength, so maybe this isn't all exactly "just as planned" either.

this doesn't square with Loup telling us that Coyote genuinely wanted to experience death. if he manages to come back, it will have more to do with the difficulty of permanently killing a creator deity rather than plans-within-plans on Coyote's part.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
It’s Loup though, who isn’t particularly self-aware, and I think that extends to trying to read Coyote.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
My theory on it is that one of the items has the memory of the tooth, and the other has the memory of whatever his plan is, starting with "and then Ysengrin eats me and we fuse into some kind of sparkledog."

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Trickster gods die from tricking themselves all the time, it's part of their schtick.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"Oh no my trick backfired, I set up the dominoes and they fell right over on me!" is like trickster god death 101 in most mythologies. It's gotta be part of their college curriculum or something.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Except Loup describes Coyote as anticipating his death. So either Loup is completely lying to himself (not impossible, but imo unlikely), or it has some element of truth and it didn’t actually backfire at all.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So, if Anni is going to cut cut Coyote and Ysengrin out of Loup with the tooth and Loup asks where she got that tooth, would answering that question trigger the trap around her wrist?
He says she can't tell anyone in the forest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

So, if Anni is going to cut cut Coyote and Ysengrin out of Loup with the tooth and Loup asks where she got that tooth, would answering that question trigger the trap around her wrist?
He says she can't tell anyone in the forest.

The trap evaporated when she returned to the court.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

That's quite a widening of the scope of Annie's control over Renard, even if it makes no immediate practical difference.

Maybe he's hoping he'll get a less silly body out of it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I guess that makes Anni a real witch now? :confuoot:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I'm curious to see how being a familiar ends up being different from the present situation. It stops their relationship from being reliant on the toy is the main (only?) thing so far, so now there is a reason to want to get his old body back.

Do we actually know anything about how familiars work in this comic?

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 5, 2019

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tom posted:

This is a familiar situation

:dadjoke:

Meanwhile, the bureaucracy is like one catchy piano theme away from forming the etherical equivalent of Tom Lehrer's Wernher Von Braun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

New plan: Renard returns to Loup, who eats him, and the Annies now have control over the amalgam and can make it split back up.

Hremsfeld posted:

Meanwhile, the bureaucracy is like one catchy piano theme away from forming the etherical equivalent of Tom Lehrer's Wernher Von Braun.

Once the contract is signed who cares what else goes on? "That's not our department" says Salslamel's pawn.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm curious to see how being a familiar ends up being different from the present situation. It stops their relationship from being reliant on the toy is the main (only?) thing so far, so now there is a reason to want to get his old body back.

Do we actually know anything about how familiars work in this comic?

I'm guessing a familiar is not quite as much of a slave. Although swapping bodies won't free him anymore, which is a big deal.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Is there an unspoken status change that the Annies will become witches, now that they have a familiar?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

a witch with 100% fire resistance??? pls nerf

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Still weak to water tho!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Iceclaw posted:

Still weak to water tho!

Tell that to the ashray

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Bruceski posted:

New plan: Renard returns to Loup, who eats him, and the Annies now have control over the amalgam and can make it split back up.

Inspired me to throw this together super fast.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Boy I hope Renard grants some cool class features to Annie(s)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Kyte posted:

Boy I hope Renard grants some cool class features to Annie(s)!

Familiars typically store all their witch's spells for them.