Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
The concept of “if you make more money you actually make less money” is so counterintuitive that you can’t help but be impressed by the confluence of malice, stupidity and greed that has gone into making people believe this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Let's all just pay everyone nothing, that'll solve everything!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Well, that wouldn't work. Some brave job-creator would have to take one for the team and earn all the money so they can pay taxes to fund all the government handouts. I volunteer.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Also, I'm going to need the records that show whether or not I actually pay any taxes to remain secret. I think that's only fair.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

The concept of “if you make more money you actually make less money” is so counterintuitive that you can’t help but be impressed by the confluence of malice, stupidity and greed that has gone into making people believe this.

Again, for the nth time, there are absolutely situations where that is in fact the case. A number of programs do phase out as you make more money and/or even have hard cutoffs at a given income level. Which means yes, there are cases where a marginal dollar of income means you actually make less money. For example, the student loan deduction, which is capped at $2,500 and starts to phase out if your MAGI is above $65,000 if you're single and then disappears entirely at $80,000 MAGI. SNAP is like this, as you earn more money you get fewer benefits and there's an eventual cliff where a marginal income of a dollar results in no benefit at all. Same thing for CHIP and a number of state social programs. EITC works like this (although the phaseout is more gradual and there's not as big a cliff).

Marginal effective tax rates can be huge for certain income levels. Although the recent tax changes helped this a bit.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 3, 2019

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

it can affect programs like that but in 99.99% of cases where your dumb coworker is talking about tax brackets he just thinks he's gonna have to pay more in taxes

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That's because nobody is paying the cows :mad:

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm the 1500% minimum wage increase

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is what most people dont' understand.

Well if they raise minimum wage everything will be more expensive.
Generally if you raise minimumwage a dollar the cost to sell teh good may go up 10-20% of the wage increase.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No one is crying if your MGAI is 80k and you can't get a student loan interest deduction. Pretty much in every case you always should make more money.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Again, for the nth time, there are absolutely situations where that is in fact the case. A number of programs do phase out as you make more money and/or even have hard cutoffs at a given income level. Which means yes, there are cases where a marginal dollar of income means you actually make less money. For example, the student loan deduction, which is capped at $2,500 and starts to phase out if your MAGI is above $65,000 if you're single and then disappears entirely at $80,000 MAGI. SNAP is like this, as you earn more money you get fewer benefits and there's an eventual cliff where a marginal income of a dollar results in no benefit at all. Same thing for CHIP and a number of state social programs. EITC works like this (although the phaseout is more gradual and there's not as big a cliff).

Marginal effective tax rates can be huge for certain income levels. Although the recent tax changes helped this a bit.

My mom manages a facility a d had a worker that was really good so she wanted to give them a raise and the worker asked her not to because he would lose section 8 housing but she gave the raise to them anyway and they quit

To my trump voting mother this is proof poor people are lazy :commissar:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

No one is crying if your MGAI is 80k and you can't get a student loan interest deduction. Pretty much in every case you always should make more money.

Please speak for yourself tia.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

spwrozek posted:

What if you're a single mom of two kids in Chicago and making $31k/year and don't want to see your housing assistance disappear if you get a raise to $16/hour?

I mean if you think this doesn't happen you're wrong:

The Slack Lagoon posted:

My mom manages a facility a d had a worker that was really good so she wanted to give them a raise and the worker asked her not to because he would lose section 8 housing but she gave the raise to them anyway and they quit

I agree that "if you make more money you actually make less money” is counterintuitive, but it is also definitely true in a lot of cases, primarily among people who are below or slightly above the poverty line.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It is true in very limited, specific examples. I will agree with that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Please speak for yourself tia.

I am not saying people don't want it. But single, no dependent Bros making 80k are doing just fine.

Typically when the deduction or benefit phases out you do not come out behind. I am sure someone can "prove me wrong" with specific examples.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Generally if you raise minimumwage a dollar the cost to sell teh good may go up 10-20% of the wage increase.
No, you don't understand: 100% of the cost of making the product is minimum-wage labor. Always and everywhere.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

You can always spot the hypercapitalist shills because they argue against any wage increase by assuming labor cost is a significant part of every product.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sure, it's price fixing: https://www.boughtmilk.com/ (Also holy christ that thing is ongoing?)

Begath
Apr 27, 2012

Fish are stupid cause they can't climb trees.

Phanatic posted:

What if you're a single mom of two kids in Chicago and making $31k/year and don't want to see your housing assistance disappear if you get a raise to $16/hour?

Do you still have the source that the graphics came from? I'm curious to read more.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Begath posted:

Do you still have the source that the graphics came from? I'm curious to read more.

https://d2dv7hze646xr.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Welfare_Report_finalfinal.pdf

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

IPI is right wing trash that helped drive Illinois into the ground under our previous governor, for anyone who isn't familiar.

Think heritage institute or CATO.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

brugroffil posted:

IPI is right wing trash that helped drive Illinois into the ground under our previous governor, for anyone who isn't familiar.

Think heritage institute or CATO.

I knew someone's first response would be well-poisoning. Is there anything in the data or methods in the paper you actually disagree with? If you like, here are some left-oriented groups talking about the same thing:

http://www.seattlejobsinitiative.com/wp-content/uploads/SJI_BenefitsCliffs_Report_MAR2015.pdf
https://ascend.aspeninstitute.org/reducing-the-cliff-effect-to-support-working-families/
https://www.wfco.org/document.doc?id=58
https://www.clasp.org/sites/default...for-Workers.pdf
https://www.uvm.edu/~vlrs/EconomicIssues/Benefits%20Cliff.pdf

Benefits cliffs are real. And they primarily effect people who are at or just above the poverty line.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=46

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Reported for backseat modding outside of your subforum :v:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Reported for backseat modding outside of your subforum :v:

:argh:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh we're finally back? Cool.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Yes, the arguments that goods and services will become more expensive if minimum wages increase to meet local living standards are generally true to some extent although almost always made in bad faith to argue against living wages

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

r/personalfinance posted:

If you're already deep in student debt, is law school the right move?
Asking for someone who isn't me. It's about general advice about whether to go to law school or not.

They graduated from undergrad college 65k in total debt (5k credit cards, 60k student debt) from undergrad.

They used to work for a paralegal job and had accumulated about 5k in savings. They then quit their job to prep for law school. They used up all their savings on law school applications and living expenses.

They now have $30 in savings. They have $5 in their debit account. Still 65k in debt. Their only source of disposable income is the 5k that they can borrow further on credit cards.

Now they work part-time for a lower paying job and have just enough to pay for food and their bills (e.g., debt payments). They have already put down a deposit at a law school.

The average amount of net tuition they will pay is about 170k to 180k at law school. However, this could be greatly diminished if they perform well (e.g., top 40% or better in the class). It is unclear whether they will accomplish this in the more competitive field with other law school students. The law schools are low tier.

I know they definitely want to be a lawyer and the paralegal position gave them a good sense of what it entails, and they want to help people via law. They showed very strong aptitude as a paralegal. I think they also view a job as a lawyer as a way out of debt. I'm just worried that even after becoming a lawyer their salary won't be high enough to escape the debt cycle (i.e., payments on bills will be too high). And their hope of being able to move past their debts will never come to fruition. Although in their perspective, it's just another bill to pay and they can just do income-based debt payments (i.e., they don't have to pay more on their debt until they are making more).

Edit: The undergrad loans are private, the law school loans are all federal.

tl;dr: If you're deep in student debt, how do you determine if you should still go to law school? Or if you should just try to make the best without higher education?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

How can someone who has worked in the law field still think it's a good idea to take on massive debt to go to law school

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Especially a low tier one.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

As for working in a las office, you see a lot of survivor bias in those environments. Everyone you see successfully got a job. You’re not taking to all their classmates who either didn’t or are employed for less in a crappier environment etc.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Why bother with the "someone who isn't me" lie when you're posting on a throwaway account anyway?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

This literally reads like a carefully crafted troll post in the law megathread. It hits all the stereotype beats perfectly.

Unfortunately, it was probably posted earnestly.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Yes, the arguments that goods and services will become more expensive if minimum wages increase to meet local living standards are generally true to some extent although almost always made in bad faith to argue against living wages

There's also plenty of examples of states raising their minimum wages that get proclamations of doom and gloom and then nothing changes in labor rates

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Why would you quit your job and deplete your savings to "prep" for law school? The most you'd need to do is take the LSAT, and you can easily prep for that in your free time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Revenue comes in. Revenue is based on prices.

Money goes out as expenses, labor, or paying the owners.

"If the cost of labor goes up, then we'll have to raise prices!"
"What about paying the owners less?"
"hahahahahahahahahahaha"

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-american-airlines-raises-20170427-story.html

quote:

American Airlines is giving pay raises to its pilots and flight attendants, who have complained they are paid less than peers at other airlines. Wall Street isn't happy.

The raises come about two years before contract negotiations. Assuming they approve the increases, pilots and flight attendants will receive additional pay totaling close to $1 billion over three years.

At a time when American and other airlines are seeing higher costs for labor, fuel and maintenance while finding it difficult to raise airfares, this goodwill gesture didn't sit well with investors.

"This is frustrating. Labor is being paid first again. Shareholders get leftovers," Citi analyst Kevin Crissey wrote in a note to clients.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Increasing the minimum wage generally raises prices and/or lowers employment for the most unskilled of workers. That doesn’t mean the effects are permanent or that they’ll always occur, but all other things being equal there is a negative impact along with the positive.

Those cities out West that have raised the minimum wage without any bad ramifications also benefited from doing it during the longest economic expansion in US history. It doesn’t always go that smoothly. That’s not to say it isn’t a good idea. Raising the federal minimum wage is usually done in stages so if they boosted it to $15 a hour it’d probably take 3 years to reach that point. That’s plenty of time for employers to figure out how to pay for it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krispy Wafer posted:

Increasing the minimum wage generally raises prices and/or lowers employment for the most unskilled of workers. That doesn’t mean the effects are permanent or that they’ll always occur, but all other things being equal there is a negative impact along with the positive.

Those cities out West that have raised the minimum wage without any bad ramifications also benefited from doing it during the longest economic expansion in US history. It doesn’t always go that smoothly. That’s not to say it isn’t a good idea. Raising the federal minimum wage is usually done in stages so if they boosted it to $15 a hour it’d probably take 3 years to reach that point. That’s plenty of time for employers to figure out how to pay for it.

Which also means $15 is too low of a goal, by the time we get there it should be higher.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Why would you quit your job and deplete your savings to "prep" for law school? The most you'd need to do is take the LSAT, and you can easily prep for that in your free time.

The kind of person who is dumb enough to try to go to law school with that level of debt and in the current market seems dumb enough to have to prep for the LSAT full time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

StormDrain posted:

Which also means $15 is too low of a goal, by the time we get there it should be higher.

That’s one of my bigger beefs. If the minimum wage is $7.25 and it takes 3 years to raise it to a new higher number, what number do opponents think it should be in 2022*? If you believe the minimum wage is correct now, what do you think it should be 5 years from now? If you think it should be higher in 2024 then when should we start increasing it? I see people bitching about a $15 minimum wage, but I never see an alternative time table for incremental increases.

*trick question, they think there should be no minimum wage.