Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Willie Tomg posted:

I haven't done much of a dive into Ranches at all. What's everyone's thoughts on ranching interacting with the suddenly-relevant Vegan quirk? In my last map whenever I clicked around in that first 100-200 colonist phase, it seemed like everyone was vegan and having a debuff would be... kinda lovely.

I stopped allowing vegans. Stay off my planet, vegans. Decreasing comfort just from living in a ranch seems just too much of a pain to be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

How do outside ranches interact with Vegans? Does the trait measure by hex, or is it just triggered by having a ranch inside/in staffing radius of a dome?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Didn't realize people got a -10 penalty for working in done connected by tubes. Completely need to redesign my base and get rid of the dedicated housing domes

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

Didn't realize people got a -10 penalty for working in done connected by tubes. Completely need to redesign my base and get rid of the dedicated housing domes

I wish there were a way to mitigate that. I might just go ahead and suck it- I've got a nice location to do a central mega-housing dome with different employment domes off it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Platonicsolid posted:

I wish there were a way to mitigate that. I might just go ahead and suck it- I've got a nice location to do a central mega-housing dome with different employment domes off it.

Yeah at this point that's what I've done and it might not be worth the resources to start over

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

What do you guys do when you have a bunch of people looking for jobs in a dome and nowhere for them to work? I've been plopping a fusion plant next to it and letting them run a power plant and that seems to work alright but I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I have tons of unemployed like this. None of this really matters because I'm mostly coasting at this point to see how green I can get the place but it seems like people aren't moving around to open jobs at other domes that much.

Also, what's the best way to do a sanitorium? There's no way to cure flaws that aren't listed in the tooltip, right?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Platonicsolid posted:

There is, play as Brazil. Their workers take no such penalties. But I don't have many other suggestions.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

I just eat the penalty and have dedicated residential domes with some parks and whatever basic services fit into the tube-connection triangles, adjacent to workplace domes with the remainder of the services, and my impression is that most of the thread does this as well. Not to say that I won't ever build a mixed-use dome, but generally I will do so with an eye to its being reworked to be part of an interdependent network later on.

The only required service building for a residential dome is a single infirmary or hospital spire, for the buff to gently caress-likelihood. Parks greatly help with comfort averages, and I also like to drop at least one Grocery in with the homes so folk don't have to take long trips just to pick up a few things for dinner. There's pretty much always room for all of that and the rest of the space is wall-to-wall apartments.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

kidkissinger posted:

Make those domes for kids and senior citizens as much as you can?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

explosivo posted:

What do you guys do when you have a bunch of people looking for jobs in a dome and nowhere for them to work? I've been plopping a fusion plant next to it and letting them run a power plant and that seems to work alright but I feel like I'm doing something wrong if I have tons of unemployed like this. None of this really matters because I'm mostly coasting at this point to see how green I can get the place but it seems like people aren't moving around to open jobs at other domes that much.

You might be building too much housing.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Lesson learned: do NOT use the Doctor background as Church of the New Ark. Too many children...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Boy, that Mohole huh? I'm basically into victory lap territory at this point as my only goal is to make everything green and see the wonders. I expected the Mohole to be smaller with average production at the tradeoff of being able to get everything in one and nope it's basically cheating, and exactly what I needed at this stage in the game. Put this right beside the Space Elevator and it's free money!

Things definitely trail off towards the end once you tip the scales enough and to into autopilot but I do really enjoy the terraforning stuff and it gives me a cool reason to keep playing past that point.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

are any spires even worth using on the starting size domes?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HiKaizer posted:

Lesson learned: do NOT use the Doctor background as Church of the New Ark. Too many children...

Challenge Mode: Only accept Sexy colonists.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

kidkissinger posted:

Water Reclamation Plant is worthwhile if you do farming there.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

Dedicated housing is insanely good, you offset the penalty by having services to meet the -10 (and having a farm in the dome for additional comfort bonuses) while still hitting the birth threshold with interest.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 3, 2019

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

explosivo posted:

Also, what's the best way to do a sanitorium? There's no way to cure flaws that aren't listed in the tooltip, right?

There is no penalty for unemployment. Homelessness, yes. Massive comfort penalty. Martians will be deadbeats with no problem forever, though.

In absence of the dual spire domes I like lots of small domes branching off a big dome all with sanitoriums. You're right, there's no way to get rid of The Big 7. Unfortunately in this universe, if you become an Idiot you're an Idiot for life.

kidkissinger posted:

Arcologies turn small domes into very space-efficient housing, and by the time you need/make a farming dome you'll want water reclamation in a big way.

explosivo posted:

Things definitely trail off towards the end once you tip the scales enough and to into autopilot but I do really enjoy the terraforning stuff and it gives me a cool reason to keep playing past that point.

Yeah. What's there is decent, but it needs a certain je ne sais quois to really bring everything together past the mystery beyond the love of building big things and turning the red planet green. It's enough for my taste, but I'm not everyone.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Got 2 domes set up in a new game with USA as my starting faction. The first crew left the dome immediately because they were all homesick, but the next group that came decided to stay since I had enough people to run all of the services (brought 2 rockets full of people at one time). It was good.

I feel like this game could have some sweet monorails to transport goods and people. That would own. Imagine one gets hit by a meteor. mmm.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

kidkissinger posted:

Nah, dedicated residential domes own. I used to go out of my way to avoid that penalty too, but it's actually a trap. A residential dome lets you get the most out of all comfort bonuses (Vista, hanging gardens, farms) and thus basically negates the penalty thanks to the high comfort morale bonus.

Better yet, if you can get base residential comfort high enough, you can skimp on services a bit. I'm not sure how the math works exactly, but in practice it functions pretty well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh sweet gently caress...is there a way to just destroy resources? My forest have just taken off and now I'm just drowning in seeds. I'm worried if I run out of Seed space my outdoor farm will just die because apparently that's an issue with the AI right now.

I have 2 completely full mechanized storage depots and 6 more that are filling with distressing speed.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Alkydere posted:

Oh sweet gently caress...is there a way to just destroy resources? My forest have just taken off and now I'm just drowning in seeds. I'm worried if I run out of Seed space my outdoor farm will just die because apparently that's an issue with the AI right now.

I have 2 completely full mechanized storage depots and 6 more that are filling with distressing speed.

You can give them to other colonies (at least you can with most resources, not sure about seeds.) That's not really a time effective used however.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Alkydere posted:

This seems to be the best option, at least it's what I've been doing. I don't think you can export seeds so I set up a big area that I can keep adding storage depots to.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

oh, brazil doesn't get a penalty for having people work in domes they don't live in. guess i'm starting over!

anyone have a good guide to terraforming? Should I be raising the temp early on, or is the temperature change causing an increase in dust devils?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Its not hard to raise atmosphere and temp to 25% with just 1 of their buildings. If you can start doing so early and easily then you should as that seems to turn the 5 day Electrostatic Dust Storms into 2 day Regular Dust Storms.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I am unreasonably annoyed by how the commanders that give you breakthroughs end up dumping your 500 research from the milestone into a tech I don't care about.

At least put it into the second tier tech or something.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Wrt terraforming, I've found the following:

Get the mod that lets forestation plants keep adding to vegetation after 40%. Even with this it's stupidly slow and out of whack with the other parameters (only rises 5% at a time from one planetary project) but that mod at least alleviates the pain a little.

Don't do what I did and spread around individual forestation plants. Instead, place them so that they overlap, that way you'll get higher soil quality faster and have the big green areas that let you build open farms and largely phase out botany as a profession.

Temperature is easy to raise up early with GHG burners so that you can get liquid water. Lakes add little water, but a lot of soil quality.

Atmosphere and temperature can be quite effectively raised gradually with buildings, but with vegetation and water you'll have to rely largely on special projects. Plan accordingly.

Atmosphere can probably be left for later, as there's little benefit to it at modest values and it should probably be raised in one big push, so that you can get past the toxic rains stage with minimal damage.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If I have some no-specs working in a research building and there are unemployed Researchers in the dome, will they let the researchers have the job if it's not set to required? I've basically been flipping it to required to kick everyone out that's not a researcher and then turn it back off once everyone gets in to fill out the employment gaps.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I built kinda messy mixed use domes at first and want to neaten things up now I've got more resources. Is the best option to build new focussed housing and services domes and force residents of my original domes to move in, then once the original ones are empty salvage/rebuild their interior buildings?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

explosivo posted:

If I have some no-specs working in a research building and there are unemployed Researchers in the dome, will they let the researchers have the job if it's not set to required? I've basically been flipping it to required to kick everyone out that's not a researcher and then turn it back off once everyone gets in to fill out the employment gaps.

If you fire a no-spec then an unemployed scientist should take their place

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wafflecopper posted:

If you fire a no-spec then an unemployed scientist should take their place

poo poo, I actually completely forgot you can hire individual workers for some reason. That's good to know that the scientist will still take priority though and it won't get filled in with another Officer or something.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I feel like this game could have a better worker management interface. For some reason I'm having a hard time efficiently assigning people. It could just be me, but I feel like I was able to do it in Dwarf Fortress so

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah it could sure be better. Has anyone tried one of those better worker AI mods? I'm tempted to see how/if they work as advertised.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah it could sure be better. Has anyone tried one of those better worker AI mods? I'm tempted to see how/if they work as advertised.

I'm not at my PC, but I think the one I use is called Career AI, and it is pretty effective at shuffling folks into specialties compared to vanilla.

I think it also may have caused a couple of folks to attempt to walk 2/3ds of the map to get to their jobs in new metal extractors, one game where I rolled the ability to run unstaffed extractors at 50 performance. Slapped several down, with shuttle-served depots and drone hubs, but forgot to restrict work slots on one of them. RIP in peas 3 Geologists ~

Kind of an edge case but I doubt that's vanilla behavior!

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
There’s no quick way to tell where exactly the disabled jobs are in a given dome or building, is there? Aside from clicking on each individual building, that is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just got into this game and loving it.

I'm having issues understanding power/water storage. I'll build up what I think is a pretty solid cache of both using the water towers/power accumulators, but then if there's an outage it seems like I almost immediately get the message that my colonists are freezing to death or becoming dehydrated. Isn't that the point of the storage, to prevent that from happening in the event of an outage? Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm just misinterpreting these warning messages as more urgent than they really are?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If it says they're freezing to death, that means the dome has no power, which has to be fixed right away or bad things happen. I would check to make sure that your power accumulators are properly connected to your power generators, they pop out of the ground when the accumulators get filled up. It's possible that the power draw on them is too great that it's almost instantly discharging too, which means just add some more accumulators to increase the storage size. You can click on the batteries and see stats of the grid like how much power is being produced vs how much is being used, and if your storage is losing power as a result. Probably the best place to start.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What do you do if a mine is far from your dome? Build a dome close to the mine?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I'm having issues understanding power/water storage. I'll build up what I think is a pretty solid cache of both using the water towers/power accumulators, but then if there's an outage it seems like I almost immediately get the message that my colonists are freezing to death or becoming dehydrated. Isn't that the point of the storage, to prevent that from happening in the event of an outage? Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong, or maybe I'm just misinterpreting these warning messages as more urgent than they really are?

make sure you set the priority on domes and other critical life support apparatus to their highest level. there is no default sorting or priority in case of some immediate resource scarcity, so your grid could be deciding to supply the drone hubs instead of the dome. likewise, water could be going to filling a lake or something. it's a small thing that you think would be just handled automatically, but not always

Mayveena posted:

What do you do if a mine is far from your dome? Build a dome close to the mine?

pretty much. later on you can get automated extractors and the like but for most of the game you just have to build outpost domes. this is the main function of small domes after the initial colony setup phase, and mostly the only reason to build the tiny triangle domes (which can be repurposed later into idiot containment domes)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

How do I get more applicants? Brazil run is wildly successful so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Basebf555 posted:

Are the water/power storage on the side of the break with the domes? You generally want to put them as close to domes as possible so that if a breakage occurs they are on the same side as the domes.

kidkissinger posted:

How do I get more applicants? Brazil run is wildly successful so far.

Wait, or there's research that adds more.