Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Schlock Mercenary is headed towards playing around with what technically counts as genocide, so things are going to get really weird.
In spite of itself, Schlock Mercenary has become a more interesting setting than when it started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
people freeze up in unfamiliar and stressful situations

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The situation in Schlock Mercenary has escalated very quickly.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I admit I wasn't expecting eyeball planet genocide brain scooping from space when this chapter of Schlock Mercenary started.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given the established ability of the teraport and the scale the Minds operate on I figured they'd just grab the whole planet, as a planet.
Somebody wanted to test their new 'non-lethal' doomsday ray though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i get the impression that mass is the primary consideration when it comes to power draw, the problem w brains being more one of delicacy. its like the difference between using a forklift to transport a pallet and a cushion to transport a faberge egg

i suspect petey's kind of low on forklifts after hurling the probe after the dinosaurs

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Tollymain posted:

people freeze up in unfamiliar and stressful situations

Yeah, remember that January thought she could've fought Su-Yeong one-on-one. She brags about her family being cops, but she's probably never seen any serious conflict, and now poo poo's Just Gotten Real™.

Sadly, we will probably find out exactly how capable she is fighting her former friends soon.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Lone Badger posted:

Given the established ability of the teraport and the scale the Minds operate on I figured they'd just grab the whole planet, as a planet
I think they probably would have if Petey hadn’t blown his biggest power source at the start of the conflict.

God is currently experiencing budget cuts.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Yeah, remember that January thought she could've fought Su-Yeong one-on-one. She brags about her family being cops, but she's probably never seen any serious conflict, and now poo poo's Just Gotten Real™.

Sadly, we will probably find out exactly how capable she is fighting her former friends soon.

I still think it felt out of character for her, and Broom Girl had plot armor for that scene. January is brash and impulsive.

Again, minor point and it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the comic any, just something I noticed.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
my long running webcomic , A Ghost Story, just finished the third chapter of the second plotline so i'm doing the rounds busking my wares in various places. i think its in the op, but its about two incompetent idiots who, in theory, exterminate ghosts who pose a threat to public safety. what they mostly do is get into legal, moral and mortal peril. the start of this chapter is here but, you know, the whole thing has more context. its a long running one. please look at it, if you want.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I admit I wasn't expecting eyeball planet genocide brain scooping from space when this chapter of Schlock Mercenary started.

It was to be expected the day Tayler wrote a comic where that possibilty was raised, because he always does this in storylines. Writes some far-out techs or strategies or ambushes that might happen, then without fail later down the storyline they happen/get employed.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun hater posted:

my long running webcomic , A Ghost Story, just finished the third chapter of the second plotline so i'm doing the rounds busking my wares in various places. i think its in the op, but its about two incompetent idiots who, in theory, exterminate ghosts who pose a threat to public safety. what they mostly do is get into legal, moral and mortal peril. the start of this chapter is here but, you know, the whole thing has more context. its a long running one. please look at it, if you want.

read their webcomic

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Did they ever explain what's been killing off older galactic civilizations in Schlock Mercenary? Because I've been giving it some thought and it feels like it's because civilizations keep re-inventing long gun tech and anyone who survives the resulting galactic war does a total comms blackout to hide from their enemies.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

That's what the current thing with them chasing the world-ship with the dinosaurs is about. They found a fuckload of worldships heading away from the galaxy, and this is the one that they could get a location for and pop over to say "so, what's the deal with you guys hauling rear end out of here?"

It was enormously expensive, so Petey doesn't have the power to keep the Pa'anuri out of the galaxy anymore, which lead to the sequence of events where "blow up all of Othlin's TAD systems and then soulgig everybody" seemed the least horrific course of action.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The dark matter entities from Andromeda are still the overarching antagonist for now, but they are starting to get a bit overshadowed as a concern by what seems to be an inherent stage of development in galactic societies that involves packing everyone into VR inside a dyson sphere-computer and sending it on a trajectory away from anything that could destroy it (which is basically anything and anyone else inside a galaxy, given enough time), but it's not so much a threat as just an uncomfortable discovery about the nature of post-singularity life.

Sure, societies can choose to not go down that route and probably last for a fair long while depending on circumstances, but on the timescales involved in the comic, the societies that went all in on the computer-star exodus are the only ones that survived to the present.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There was that whole "supernovae are volcanoes" simile too, of just going to more remote and stabler places once your tech level allows you to.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

Did they ever explain what's been killing off older galactic civilizations in Schlock Mercenary? Because I've been giving it some thought and it feels like it's because civilizations keep re-inventing long gun tech and anyone who survives the resulting galactic war does a total comms blackout to hide from their enemies.

probably the dark matter monsters first and foremost, but yeah it was already explained in general as societies starting to think really long-term and in the long term a stable galactic civilization is unsustainable cause there's enough random poo poo going on all the time that sooner or later something is gonna happen that it can't survive. How civilization is more sustainable once you've permanently sequestered yourself to a lovely little rogue planet with extremely finite and dwindling resources isn't at all clear right now but hey

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddamnit do I need to read Schlock Mercenary again? It took me days to work through the archive the first time I got into it, and that was over a decade ago

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How civilization is more sustainable once you've permanently sequestered yourself to a lovely little rogue planet with extremely finite and dwindling resources isn't at all clear right now but hey

Considering that their only needed resource is energy, and their dyson spheres are said to be built around red dwarves, I think they can be forgiven for not having a plan in place yet that will let them last past the heat death of the universe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Has he ever talked about how maintenance and entropic decay of information are solved? That seems like it'd be an issue for planet-sized computers. Hell, I leave my home PC running for a few days and it starts chugging.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Information storage is literally part of the title of the comic. Sergeant Schlock and his species of amorphs were originally very hardy information storage mediums that evolved sentience and mobility after their creator civilization annihilated itself in a post-immortal breakdown of sanity, simply due to their inherent directive to endure.

I imagine that the idea isn't completely unique and similar non-volatile storage solutions have cropped up in the various post-singularity civilizations, where the continuing presence society that created them has meant that the storage medium didn't have to go to such drastic lengths to remain functioning.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 3, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Phy posted:

Goddamnit do I need to read Schlock Mercenary again? It took me days to work through the archive the first time I got into it, and that was over a decade ago

absolutely not but discussing it is a sunk cost for those of us who did it anyway

Slashrat posted:

Information storage is literally part of the title of the comic. Sergeant Schlock and his species of amorphs were originally very hardy information storage mediums that evolved sentience and mobility after their creator civilization annihilated itself in a post-immortal breakdown of sanity, simply due to their inherent directive to endure.

I imagine that the idea isn't completely unique and similar non-volatile storage solutions have cropped up in the various post-singularity civilizations, where the continuing presence society that created them has meant that the storage medium didn't have to go to such drastic lengths to remain functioning.

no actual information survived from that civilization, though; they just wound up with hard-drive-descended mindless eating machines wandering through the ruins of their cities. the comic's thrown in a bunch of ancient civilizations but this arc's basically the first we've heard of ones whose artifacts aren't extremely badly corrupted, and how and why is sort of a central question there

given that discursions on imaginary physics and lame dad jokes are the twin pillars of the comic I don't think he's just handwaving away entropy with a 'oh they cured that'

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 3, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, information is just...speaking as a librarian, digital information is inherently volatile in some really nasty ways. Even a non-volatile storage solution, if it's expected to be in active use (as...y'know, any kind of giant mind preserve would need to be, since otherwise all the digitally uploaded minds would be frozen in time forever and effectively be dead), is going to suffer pretty terrible from entropy over time. Physical maintenance is going to exacerbate this. On the scale of Dyson spheres, with digitally stored information, we're talking about...oh, let's see, cosmic ray damage, micrometeors, the movement of whatever machines deal with the micrometeors and do the maintenance, loss of information to entropy over millions of years...it's probably safe to assume they're not storing information magnetically the way we do here, which is absolutely terrible for shelf life, but still, they're definitely going to have use a storage medium more changeable than carving in stone, which is your best bet for preservation in ideal physical conditions here on Earth.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

no actual information survived from that civilization, though

Well there are like 7 members of that civilization left. One of them joined the mercenaries and got dissected by the UNS to make some of the immortality mods that they've been abusing lately. You'd think he'd come up more often with all this dead civilization talk.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thankfully not even the author expects you to remember much of Schlock Mercenary

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well there are like 7 members of that civilization left. One of them joined the mercenaries and got dissected by the UNS to make some of the immortality mods that they've been abusing lately. You'd think he'd come up more often with all this dead civilization talk.

All their memories of why he "left" Tagon's Toughs are false implants.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Once someone dies he/she's pretty much forgotten by the entire crew.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Notably, the amorph creators also had the slightly different approach of using the amorph storage medium as replacement for their meat brains because the meat brains weren't up to the task of perfectly retaining full memory of their newly immortal existence. This then led directly into their apocalypse because they hadn't adequately considered the mental health impact of such long memories. The survivors explicitly mention that they survived because they were the ones who realized this and kept the ability for their minds to forget things while cutting themselves off from the rest of society.

The civilization was implied to be inhabiting their homeworld only and showed no other signs of post-singularity tech, so it's possible they just discovered the means for immortality early and were thus woefully unprepared for the consequences of it.

The amorphs by no means turned out to be a perfect storage solution after their creators self-annihilated, but given the capabilities they possessed even before transitioning from storage medium to actual sentient lifeforms, they seem a good indication of what an information storage method of a long-term civilization would look like.

Slashrat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 4, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poster Syd Midnight has solved the problem of webcomic names forever:

Syd Midnight posted:

IMPROVING UPON BAD WEBCOMICS VIA PROCEDURAL GENERATION

I can't think of a title for my big magic testes webcomic, but I will never, ever get tired of next-generation Natural Language Processing AIs, they're the subconsciousness of the internet. So I fed some webcomics titles into GPT-2 and

quote:

Heavy Metal Gods of Wrestling 3
Hit-Truck
I Remember You and Me And You
I'm Not Being Served
Incarna
Instant Giant
It Came From Beneath the Ground
It Was Written
Laika 2.0
Malifaux Tales: "It's All Coming Out of the Eyes" (from the book)
Millennials Not Cool!
Moana
Mr. Peabody & Sherman: Men in Black
No Good Deed, No Bad Deed
Nick Fury: Agent of C.H.A.D.D.
Oh, You Pretty Things are Delicious

ok that went better than I thought. Some of those sound good. So lets try using it as a Large Hadron Collider of bad webcomics. I'll give it Webcomic Lists lowest ranked titles, #25,830 ("Ninj4'd") through #25,874 ("Sandals"), and see what we get

quote:

Bertrand Dupe & The Blue Blob
The Sinkhole
Boom Boom!
You Must Be a Robot!
Pissed On Me
Witchin'
The Big Bad Wolf of Stalag Xenobiology
What Is An Alien?
Lipstick Man
Duckie and Doodles
Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead
Kiss Me, I'm Dying of Thirst
The Bumpkin Brothers
Mitten Man
Lucky Bastard
Babylonia? Badass!!!
Mr. Blonde
Ropes of Love
It Was a Long Trail
I Am Bitch
Saucer Head Killer
No Matter That, You Will Go Away!
Fellowship! We're Back!!!
It's Not Gonna Get Any Worse!
Zombie-Foxtrot!
Wormhole Parasites

they're kinda morphing into band names, but lets feed those back in recursively anyways

quote:

Bitch Don't Give a gently caress
I Am Not A Pretender
You Were a Good Man (When I Was Your Man)
When the Bell Rings...
How Long Have I Been Alive?!
It's Not My Fault!
poo poo, I Got A Little Feeling In That rear end!
The Man Who Knew
Pigging the Stupid Love Boar
Dude, Who's That Guy?
The Great One is Back!!!
You Can Only Make Out The Good Parts
If There Is a God, He's Gonna Make Lots More of That poo poo
Kong! I Got You!
I'm a Mad As Hell
Doll, Baby
Door to Door Salesman: An rear end with No Back Door
Witchin' Man: That's A Good Time for a Little Talk
I Am Going to Go to Heaven!!!
Dirty Rat Girl
Dancing Boy Not Good!
hosed Up Dealer: What do you give a snake?
Duke of Hellas: A Piece of poo poo
Who's in That Suit?
The Little Things That Really Work
If Only I Was More Awesome
It's Me, Dick!

and feed those into it:

quote:

Where's My Car
loving Girlfriend
A Man is a Man! (The Moustache)
I Have A Friend!
I've Been Dropping My gently caress Off
Buddy and Dudes
Hey, Man!
Dirty Lips
You Got a Problem?
Tiny Little Slut
It's My Fault!
The Biggest gently caress
Sandy Stacks the Rocks
I'm Gonna Kill You - Part 2
gently caress Me with A Hammer!
Dirty Dick!
gently caress Me with a Hammer and a Micky Dick
I'm the poo poo!
I'm the poo poo!
I'm the poo poo!

at this point it simply repeats "I'm the poo poo!", over and over again. Humankind doesn't stand a chance. All Hail the machines.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm not gonna buy that that guy actually used machine learning for that unless he provides the intermediate stage of names that are just nearly incomprehensible gibberish

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not gonna buy that that guy actually used machine learning for that unless he provides the intermediate stage of names that are just nearly incomprehensible gibberish
Agreed. Basically every legit machine-learning post includes a long list of nonsense or almost-nonsense involved. (Ex: Literally every post on AI Weirdness.)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gpt2 is really loving good: https://blog.floydhub.com/gpt2/

You may be familiar with the most famous implementation of it: https://talktotransformer.com/

I fed your response to it and it decided that I wanted a webnovel:

quote:

I'm not gonna buy that that guy actually used machine learning for that unless 」 (Alice)

「 ……I'm telling you, it was just a trick. If the user has some kind of talent or other skill, how much power of AI software they could build is entirely unrelated to whether they had an AI machine or not. If those programs already contain a lot of magic power then you could also use it for that.

After all, that computer of mine only has about 50,000 CPU cores. With that kind of amount of memory we would have an almost equal power of AI magic. Well, if we use magic power, it might not be that large. And even if we use AI machines, it will probably feel slower…」 (Naofumi)

「 ……So it's something that only AI programs can do, right?

But just today my memory of Magic was so bad! I didn't know I could use it by myself when magic power's so low.

I don't think that could be a good sign. There are plenty of people with a lot of magic power, but that's just me.

「 That's because there are a lot of magic skills being made with machines. There are people with magic that has even been developed by machines that can do stuff like magic-type attacks, magic-

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

See, that's the kind of ADHD nonsense I expect from baby AIs. Challenge passed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
gently caress I wish I could draw so I could make Nick Fury: Agent of C.H.A.D.D.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Witchin'

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Nick Fury: Agent of C.H.A.D.D.

In fact, there's not one line that's more cringe-worthy than the one where he says to himself: "My father had the nerve to marry me!" That's a line that every American soldier needs to hear at some point today.

The Big Short—the film responsible for many of the many "I'm saving the world, dammit!" moments of its $11.5 billion opening weekend—does not deserve to be called an award-winning film. We know that its financial success, at any cost, has created its own legion of critics and Hollywood personalities who just happen to have zero interest in hearing any arguments for or against the film, for lack of something better. This is bad news, for sure, and we've spoken here before about two reasons why critical reception matters in the film's favor. First, critical criticism can really alter a film's success, and it's going to have a major influence on the final film as well. Second, this film has taken on such a powerful position of public awareness that the entire industry is now willing to spend money trying to influence it, and there really has been a push towards more critical analysis of the film on this side of the Atlantic. While the film's success may not actually have been the greatest possible outcome of all this critical interest (

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Agreed. Basically every legit machine-learning post includes a long list of nonsense or almost-nonsense involved. (Ex: Literally every post on AI Weirdness.)

She’s literally just posted a new list of GPT2 cat names. :v: Her last several entries are all GPT 2 based. Read the stuff you’re posting!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 4, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A big flaming stink posted:

In fact, there's not one line that's more cringe-worthy than the one where he says to himself: "My father had the nerve to marry me!" That's a line that every American soldier needs to hear at some point today.

The Big Short—the film responsible for many of the many "I'm saving the world, dammit!" moments of its $11.5 billion opening weekend—does not deserve to be called an award-winning film. We know that its financial success, at any cost, has created its own legion of critics and Hollywood personalities who just happen to have zero interest in hearing any arguments for or against the film, for lack of something better. This is bad news, for sure, and we've spoken here before about two reasons why critical reception matters in the film's favor. First, critical criticism can really alter a film's success, and it's going to have a major influence on the final film as well. Second, this film has taken on such a powerful position of public awareness that the entire industry is now willing to spend money trying to influence it, and there really has been a push towards more critical analysis of the film on this side of the Atlantic. While the film's success may not actually have been the greatest possible outcome of all this critical interest (

Sir, this is a Burger King

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Begemot posted:

Sir, this is a Burger King
..." "We're waiting for you at the corner...I can't find you there!" The bartender's voice is inaudible, and he walks across the street, and I can almost hear him mutter, "Please try again...". I walk to the corner of a crowded bar, and I realize that there is a small crowd behind me. I'm not sure that I'm noticed, but the woman is sitting at her table. She's wearing a blue jeans jacket, with a pair of blue leggings that are so tight they're covering her legs, but on top she's sporting tight black panties that show her nipples. She looks at my arm, and then slowly reaches for some food. Her voice seems to grow as quiet, and she's a little annoyed by the look of confusion at my face. "That's no burger..." she mutters, and then she raises her voice and says something, as if she's saying 'that's not no burger', then she reaches behind her chair and starts pulling on the leash in front of me. I stare at her, in shock, and just keep looking at her for half a second. Then, she turns and says, "I'll tell you what, I'll get something for you. I'm going to go, but I only let you use it for just a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this technology is going to revolutionize insanely weird fetish porn