Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah like when I started watching Le Mans in the mid-00s it was basically all customer teams and it was fun, it's just part of the good ol Sportscar Boom Bust Cycle

what I don't want is BOP poo poo in Le Mans, I already look at Touring Car Times where half the articles are teams from WTCR or whatever it's called complaining to the organizers about this week's BOP adjustments

There's already BOP for the GTE class -- including GTE Pro -- but yeah, the idea of having success ballast on the top prototypes is...awful. BOP may be acceptable if we get all those factories to come and support it, and it's a component of making DPi work in the U.S. in IMSA, but in principle it's not great.

Frond posted:

LeMans 1994 was really cool in hindsight because it was basically a Formula Libre made up of cars from defunct series. Where else could you see Group C cars and IMSA GTO cars racing one another?

going through and seeing what all turned up back then is amazing. the idea that the GT1 rules were out there and what showed up were lightly street-tuned Porsche 962s, Japanese sports cars a wee bit undercooked, then the McLaren F1s and eventually reverse-engineered prototypes...fascinating to see happen in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Dauer 962 is the best Porsche ever and the most old school Porsche ever.
"What's that? Against the spirit of the rules? I guess we won't bring it next year but gently caress you, you can't make it against the rules this year."

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

It'll be "LMP-Homologated" or something. Whatever the ACO does it'll find the most ridiculous technicality to avoid the image of cribbing from IMSA.
I am not and never will be a fan of BoP for a class that is the top of the pile at Le Mans.

Right with you, I just fear it's a battle we're going to lose.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Super Taikyu's 24 hour race at Fuji speedway is going on right now. Where else are you getting a 24 hour race with gt4 GTR's mixed in with 86's and Honda Fit's and Mazda 3's?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU-letsf0Ds

At one of the races a few years ago one of the groups running a WRX had an accident and used the door from one of their team members cars in the parking lot to get back in.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

net work error posted:

Super Taikyu's 24 hour race at Fuji speedway is going on right now. Where else are you getting a 24 hour race with gt4 GTR's mixed in with 86's and Honda Fit's and Mazda 3's?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU-letsf0Ds

At one of the races a few years ago one of the groups running a WRX had an accident and used the door from one of their team members cars in the parking lot to get back in.

I've never heard of Super Takyu, is it like the Japanese equivalent of Blancpain World Challenge or something?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

I've never heard of Super Takyu, is it like the Japanese equivalent of Blancpain World Challenge or something?

Below that, think the Continental Tire / Michelin Pilot Series in the US. Top class of it is GT3s but it goes all the way down to much more production-based cars.

I may have to go next year, seems like a cheap weekend and late May/early June is usually good weather.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's not exactly widely known but they've been smart about marketing it making it free to watch on YouTube and with good production value at that. They have a bunch of live onboards while Super GT is still strugging to figure it out somehow?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mazda got Mazdaed again at Belle Isle.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Update : On the restart for the caution after the first Mazda got Mazdaed, the remaining Mazda Mazdaed itself.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Mazda will forever Mazda.

Jesus gently caress. I want to like that team so bad, but they're so drat snake bit.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Blancpain at Paul Ricard now as well. Might be region blocked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdwtFgX8FFg

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Does blancpain still have all the stint/stop rules and poo poo pirelli tires that won't last more than a stint that make it 6 boring sprint races chained together?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love things that aren't broadcast here being region locked so all i can legally watch is nascurr

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I have an absolute blast in my Miata but gently caress if their prototype team just cannot close the deal. They've got pace but they either get shunted into a wall or their engine or suspension decides to explosively deconstruct itself.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
There was no way the 55 was going to be able to run down the 6 and 31 at the end of the race anyway, the Acuras have been stupid fast since Long Beach gave them a huge BoP break and Nasr is pretty clearly the best driver in IMSA

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah, but it'd be nice if they could finish a drat race with the rest of the class.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

But one day, one day the Mazda prototype will win one (1) race and on that day I will be buoyed by the glow of their triumph and women will want to talk to me again and my coworkers will stop looking at me with a mixture of revulsion and pity and teenagers will stop repeatedly screaming GAAAAAYYYYY like a malevolent Greek chorus when I buzz by in my RX

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I'm hoping to get tt highlights today but most of the practices last week were cancelled

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That Mazda prototype is fundamentally flawed.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Wirth1000 posted:

That Mazda prototype is fundamentally flawed.

Hello, Mazda prototype

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

It's based on the LMP2 literally no-one runs anywhere.

Then again, I think at this point it's pretty much only United and people on a serious budget running anything but the Oreca.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dudley posted:

It's based on the LMP2 literally no-one runs anywhere.

Then again, I think at this point it's pretty much only United and people on a serious budget running anything but the Oreca.

By that metric the Cadillac should be poo poo too because no one runs the Dallara in LMP2. It’s not.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah but the level of badness of the Multimatic/Riley was leagues ahead of the Dallara, which was merely "Not quite as good as the Oreca".

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Early IRL era suspension tech on that thing is amazing considering Multimatic has been developing dampers with Red Bull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY

Ah yes, the legendary battle of Ford vs. Ferrari at Auto Club Speedway. Though still looks to be fun to watch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Early IRL era suspension tech on that thing is amazing considering Multimatic has been developing dampers with Red Bull.

It shared a lot of principles with the older Riley & Scott prototypes because...it was designed by Bob Riley. Hence why it had the “Riley rocker” front suspension.

Joest (and BOP) has worked miracles to get that thing competitive as the Mazda.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Isle of Man TT started today, and we have a death already

https://www.motorsport.com/roadracing/news/daley-mathison-isle-of-man-tt-death/4426956/

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Matt Damon as Shelby is some truly puzzling casting but I'm on board.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Basticle posted:

Matt Damon as Shelby is some truly puzzling casting but I'm on board.

Yeah, its gonna be Hollywood as hell but hopefully still has some cars actually doing car things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Read earlier, very tragic :(

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

"literally nothing we can do" says the only sport this regularly happens in.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean you're racing motorcycles on public roads there literally is nothing you can do about that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I do think Isle of Man is kinda inherently unethical, its wildly dangerous compared to almost any other sport event I can think of. There's just so many uncontrolled factors and situations that can easily be fatal and can't be helped because its a giant road course.

Its a shame because its cool as hell, and I'm not saying they should definitely shut it down because it is consenting adults, but at the same time poo poo man maybe they should call it off. Crazy high fatality rate.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Ultimately the riders know full well the risks of the TT and road racing in general. Beyond that, shutting down the TT wouldn’t do the Isle of Man any favours, it brings in quite a lot of money to a part of the UK that otherwise doesn’t really have much else going for it in terms of business.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sad news. The TT rocks. Never change it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Quinntan posted:

Ultimately the riders know full well the risks of the TT and road racing in general. Beyond that, shutting down the TT wouldn’t do the Isle of Man any favours, it brings in quite a lot of money to a part of the UK that otherwise doesn’t really have much else going for it in terms of business.

Yeah. They're welcome to it.

But I kinda decided over the last year or two I just don't want to watch it anymore.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

The FIA is upholding the fuel stint advantage for the Toyotas at Le Mans, so there goes any chance of anything interesting potentially happening in LMP1 barring Toyota undergoing a full, figurative and literal Mazda style meltdown during the race

Speaking of the Mazda prototype and continuing the discussion re: their ongoing crapulence from before the TT talk... Marshall Pruett argues in his podcast this week that Joest has been mostly a failure running the team and, with Chip Ganassi potentially available now that the Ford GT program is over, they should seek to drop Joest if their contact allows for it and have the CGR/Multimatic partnership run their DPi instead. Which makes a lot of sense, but it feels really lovely to me to think about Joest going down in flames after admiring their work with Audi all those years and being genuinely, personally excited when MTJ was formed

Anyway, it's all speculation, but it's worth listening to Pruett's remarks on the matter. They're early on in the podcast if anybody's interested: https://racer.com/2019/06/04/the-week-in-sports-cars-june-4-with-graham-goodwin-and-stephen-kilbey/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

The FIA is upholding the fuel stint advantage for the Toyotas at Le Mans, so there goes any chance of anything interesting potentially happening in LMP1 barring Toyota undergoing a full, figurative and literal Mazda style meltdown during the race

So they’re reversing the rule and putting a cap on maximum fuel per stint again? Hopefully it’s just the maximum they can fill and not last year’s idiotic lap maximum. That was abhorrent and had no place in P1 racing.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
They're keeping maximum fuel peer stint, but did away with fuel per lap for the non-hybrids.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

They're keeping maximum fuel peer stint, but did away with fuel per lap for the non-hybrids.

Okay, that's actually a decent compromise considering the restrictions throughout the year. Good teams and drivers can stretch a stint. Last year it was effectively "pit every X laps" which was artificial and awful, especially for what should be a top class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

harperdc posted:

Okay, that's actually a decent compromise considering the restrictions throughout the year. Good teams and drivers can stretch a stint. Last year it was effectively "pit every X laps" which was artificial and awful, especially for what should be a top class.

Yeah I haven't heard of any of that, it was most egregious in GTE, I think this is mostly set by fuel tank size (though the way it's worded send to imply you can have a larger tank, but can only expend x liters per stint, like when the #7 Toyota missed the pits last year and had to limp around)