Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I think the main appeal of barkley 2 is that it would be a funny joke in the way that barkley 1 was a funny joke. And, I think with this project more than most, people realize that a work is the product of its creators. Nobody wants you to force yourself to make this game. We'd rather you do something that excites you now, in 2019, than chain yourself to an idea you had a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cboy posted:

Hey guys, this is Chef Boyardee, one of the writers and musicians for the game, and I was one of the original Barkley 1 guys.

Barkley 2 was our dream game. When we asked for $30k and received $120k, it felt like a mandate to go absolutely bonkers and make the game far, far larger and more convoluted than it actually needed to be (and as we learned, than we were more capable of making). To talk about all of our inspirations is to basically give you a laundry list of multi-million dollar Square-Enix RPGs with teams of hundreds of guys - so who WOULDN'T believe a bunch of dudes in their dad's basement could make it?

We moved into bhroom and bort's dad's basement and got to work. We went absolutely nuts with scope, and planned out a massive game that, in reality, would have taken far more resources than we had. I'll give you an example: Barkley 2 had a 24 hour time system. As you completed quests and events in the game, the time would pass and new events would open. In reality, what this meant was that we had to make new content for each in-game hour. This is an awesome idea, but even for all the content we made, it was not feasible for our limited crew. Work was abound with stories like this - we dreamed and attempted all sorts of crazy systems, thinking that we had the experience and ability of Square's A-team.

I stopped working on the game when my mom became ill and passed away abruptly. It's hard to talk about, so I won't. I wanted to go back, but the longer I stayed away, the more difficult it became, first because it was apparent that this project was just too ambitious and that what we needed was scope control, and second, it was the hardest thing in the world to admit failure. Failure, not just to the people I was beholden to, the people who had misplaced their faith in my ability to make this massive, sprawling game, but to the people I worked with. I love, deeply, everyone who worked on Barkley. I love GZ, Laz, bort, bhroom, bisse, Konix, Frankie, Neon, everyone who ever tried to help this madcap dream a reality. And I didn't know how to say I was sorry, or that I'd failed. My regret is that I could't do that. I am sorry, everyone.

That said, I'm extremely proud of the work we did on the game, all of us. I think that everyone who worked on this project are among the best out there. The jokes, the world, the coding, the design, the art - it's awesome. I think the writing and music I did is some of my best work. There is nobody on the team who deserves more praise than GZ, who was the only voice of reason during all of this. It's to him that I'm most sorry.

As far as money goes, although I was never the money dude, it was all used to my knowledge pretty responsibly to hire contractors. At the beginning of the project, I think we all took $1000 for food and expenses and stuff, and then another $1000 for the same a while later. The company also took a $10,000 loan from my dad which I paid back with an absurd 20% interest. So at least for me, this endeavor netted me a whopping -$10,000. I'd say the only wasteful thing we did with money was take the game to PAX, which really was an amazing experience and at least people got to play the game there. It was met with an awesome reception, especially our booth, which involved bhroom dressing as a wizard and acting out our character creation - which I contend is still the best ever.

I think we were just too young and too ambitious and I want to say we tried to fly too close to the sun, but I don't think we ever took off. What we have is great, but I failed. And I'm sorry. I don't know what I can do to at least partially make things right, but I welcome suggestions.

There's nothing to make right. Projects fail. All anyone wants is for you to :justpost:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

cboy posted:

Hey guys, this is Chef Boyardee, one of the writers and musicians for the game, and I was one of the original Barkley 1 guys.

Barkley 2 was our dream game. When we asked for $30k and received $120k, it felt like a mandate to go absolutely bonkers and make the game far, far larger and more convoluted than it actually needed to be (and as we learned, than we were more capable of making). To talk about all of our inspirations is to basically give you a laundry list of multi-million dollar Square-Enix RPGs with teams of hundreds of guys - so who WOULDN'T believe a bunch of dudes in their dad's basement could make it?

We moved into bhroom and bort's dad's basement and got to work. We went absolutely nuts with scope, and planned out a massive game that, in reality, would have taken far more resources than we had. I'll give you an example: Barkley 2 had a 24 hour time system. As you completed quests and events in the game, the time would pass and new events would open. In reality, what this meant was that we had to make new content for each in-game hour. This is an awesome idea, but even for all the content we made, it was not feasible for our limited crew. Work was abound with stories like this - we dreamed and attempted all sorts of crazy systems, thinking that we had the experience and ability of Square's A-team.

I stopped working on the game when my mom became ill and passed away abruptly. It's hard to talk about, so I won't. I wanted to go back, but the longer I stayed away, the more difficult it became, first because it was apparent that this project was just too ambitious and that what we needed was scope control, and second, it was the hardest thing in the world to admit failure. Failure, not just to the people I was beholden to, the people who had misplaced their faith in my ability to make this massive, sprawling game, but to the people I worked with. I love, deeply, everyone who worked on Barkley. I love GZ, Laz, bort, bhroom, bisse, Konix, Frankie, Neon, everyone who ever tried to help this madcap dream a reality. And I didn't know how to say I was sorry, or that I'd failed. My regret is that I could't do that. I am sorry, everyone.

That said, I'm extremely proud of the work we did on the game, all of us. I think that everyone who worked on this project are among the best out there. The jokes, the world, the coding, the design, the art - it's awesome. I think the writing and music I did is some of my best work. There is nobody on the team who deserves more praise than GZ, who was the only voice of reason during all of this. It's to him that I'm most sorry.

As far as money goes, although I was never the money dude, it was all used to my knowledge pretty responsibly to hire contractors. At the beginning of the project, I think we all took $1000 for food and expenses and stuff, and then another $1000 for the same a while later. The company also took a $10,000 loan from my dad which I paid back with an absurd 20% interest. So at least for me, this endeavor netted me a whopping -$10,000. I'd say the only wasteful thing we did with money was take the game to PAX, which really was an amazing experience and at least people got to play the game there. It was met with an awesome reception, especially our booth, which involved bhroom dressing as a wizard and acting out our character creation - which I contend is still the best ever.

I think we were just too young and too ambitious and I want to say we tried to fly too close to the sun, but I don't think we ever took off. What we have is great, but I failed. And I'm sorry. I don't know what I can do to at least partially make things right, but I welcome suggestions.

Do you still have the copy of Expelled that you could not get Kojima Miyamoto Uematsu to sign?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElVjqc1ju5Y

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Did you have the plot worked out? I actually wanna know what happens in the Barkleyverse lmao.

Also I backed but I’m not mad. Barkley 1 was free so it’s even Stevens

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Also paper mario gameplay is cooler than action shooter anyways :shrug:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

leak the source cowards

itiot
Feb 17, 2011

sincere thanks to you + team for trying. sometimes all people need is a cool idea to enjoy, which we've all had for ~7 yrs

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Barkley 1 is still the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Though the 3 sudden party members at the last second seems like a great gag. Please just post other jokes that were planned.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Did you have the plot worked out? I actually wanna know what happens in the Barkleyverse lmao.

Also I backed but I’m not mad. Barkley 1 was free so it’s even Stevens

Exactly what he said.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

love you chef, thank you for posting and thank all of tog for the pax booth

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I'm just happy to see you guys posting. No hard feelings. I know a ton of cool writing and music and stuff was made for this project over the years and I still want to see it, even if I have to sift through broken code myself to find it. I want to laugh at the insane and unfeasible ideas in your design docs. But it seems like bhroom hasn't given up over on the kickstarter page so I have no idea what's happening.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

mundane farewells

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bisse posted:

For example, one legit funny joke was your Party. You only ever played as Hoopz, but on your equipment menu there were four party members. You could always see them in your menu but never in game. As I recall it, at the literal final second of the game the other 3 party members would appear out of Hoopz like in a Final Fantasy game and say "Wow, we did it!" "Hell yeah!". Kind of funny actually, but, it’s just one small joke.

For me this is a perfect example of why I had no faith in Barkley 2 from the very beginning. "In JRPGs your party members don't show up on the world map outside of cutscenes" is something that hasn't been true since the late 90s and pointing out that this is a thing would be a mediocre Penny Arcade or RPG World joke in 2002. Doing in 2014 let alone 2019 is embarrassing, it's the gaming version of making a reference to hanging chads or doing a Matrix bullet time parody.

The sad thing is that the closest thing to the kind of lovely gonzo RPGmaker game that Barkely 1 drew most of its humor from is failed Kickstarter games, and if they had waited another year or two and used the first wave of big failures as a source of inspiration for jokes it could have been amazing and cutting edge. Even now places like itch.io are full of games that successfully translate Barkley's humor to modern sensibilities, like a Ready Player One parody that satirizes the obnoxious pop culture references of the source material by just using stolen and stock Unity assets for everything or a Seinfeld dating sim that is a pitch perfect homage to the pacing and humor of a classic Seinfeld ep only set in a 90s anime visual novel rather then 90s New York. In a way trying to make Barkley 2 be an actual good game was probably the best course they could have taken because they've completely and utterly failed to keep up with the zeitgeist and the humor alone wouldn't be enough to carry them anymore.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
THE PROMISE HAS BEEN MADE

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I forgive you cboyardee and I hope you’re doing okay. I will gladly play any other game you work on in the future. I’m gonna go buy Katana Zero right now in fact.

People are jerks about Kickstarter but you back projects with the knowledge that it could fail and all that really happened here was a typical game cancellation. poo poo happens and I know y’all poured your best into it. It’s not like I spent $15,000 on a digital spaceship I’ll never see.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
This is all a dark draker plot

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sleeveless posted:

For me this is a perfect example of why I had no faith in Barkley 2 from the very beginning. "In JRPGs your party members don't show up on the world map outside of cutscenes" is something that hasn't been true since the late 90s and pointing out that this is a thing would be a mediocre Penny Arcade or RPG World joke in 2002. Doing in 2014 let alone 2019 is embarrassing, it's the gaming version of making a reference to hanging chads or doing a Matrix bullet time parody.

The sad thing is that the closest thing to the kind of lovely gonzo RPGmaker game that Barkely 1 drew most of its humor from is failed Kickstarter games, and if they had waited another year or two and used the first wave of big failures as a source of inspiration for jokes it could have been amazing and cutting edge. Even now places like itch.io are full of games that successfully translate Barkley's humor to modern sensibilities, like a Ready Player One parody that satirizes the obnoxious pop culture references of the source material by just using stolen and stock Unity assets for everything or a Seinfeld dating sim that is a pitch perfect homage to the pacing and humor of a classic Seinfeld ep only set in a 90s anime visual novel rather then 90s New York. In a way trying to make Barkley 2 be an actual good game was probably the best course they could have taken because they've completely and utterly failed to keep up with the zeitgeist and the humor alone wouldn't be enough to carry them anymore.

it sounds p funny actually

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I gotta say I totally disagree, that joke sounds really really funny and I’m fine with a game being just a vehicle for jokes like that

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

that joke is good actually

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sleeveless posted:

Actually Dragon Quest XI, which came out last year, does it. Topic Locked.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Bless you, ToGsters

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Octopath Traveler came out last year and party members don’t even show up in cutscenes, so honestly the joke works even better now.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Sleeveless posted:

that's not the joke, though

The joke is that the party members were in a bunch of prerelease screenshots, and your party members' stats and abilities would progress throughout the game, and you'd be wondering "Are they actually doing anything? Will they eventually be relevant? What's going on?" and then a NEW party member joins and just disappears, and then then end of the game happens and these nonentities are like "Yatta! We did it!"

It's like thinking that the joke behind the big THE HUNT BEGINS graphic and musical sting in Barkley 1 was "sometimes JRPGs announce things dramatically"

No, it's that this game has that in it even though it only happens once.

In fact, I'd say that kind of thing is at the heart of Barkley humor. Important story events or lore facts which are critical to the "drama," even though they were never mentioned before. A one-time ITEM GET image of a Shrekmono. The bloat in Barkley 2 was understandable, but I think what was really needed was a system/engine in which it was easier to implement all the random-rear end ideas/gags, because (from the very little info I've heard so far) things like bugs and reimplementation were the real killers, not necessarily too many unique ideas.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It feels like the end of an era from when I hung out at GamingW back in the day.

woodchuck
Sep 27, 2007
hi
I think that if you opened up the repo that Barkley fans would be willing to cobble something together, whether it's an RPGMaker game or a vertical slice of the actual game. A standalone B-Ball Tactics would be cool as well. It'd be sad if all the great art and funny jokes were lost to time.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

was anyone else gifted a pozzo key a few years ago or just me

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

that was always strange

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Barkley 1 is still the funniest game I've ever played, not counting stuff like Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim where the humor comes from glitches. I get that it's hard to do comedy right, since a lot of "funny" games come off as trying too hard. And I imagine it's worse when you have a good idea for a gag, but it would eat up a lot of manpower which is already at a premium.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Barkley 1 is still the funniest game I've ever played, not counting stuff like Red Dead Redemption or Skyrim where the humor comes from glitches. I get that it's hard to do comedy right, since a lot of "funny" games come off as trying too hard. And I imagine it's worse when you have a good idea for a gag, but it would eat up a lot of manpower which is already at a premium.

"This game is canon." alone is funnier than every other game combined.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Echoing the sentiment that there are no hard feelings for the ToGsters, and appreciating that y’all have come around to settle accounts and clear the air. Barkley 2 could never have been, and the most Barkley 2 thing possible is for it to have been a huge dramatic kickstarter debacle full of feature creep and grand designs. That being said, the art surrounding the game, both promotional and sprite work, is really good and I hope you folks find a place to repurpose it someday.

I look forward to whatever comes from the ToG set next, and I don’t feel cheated or slighted or whatever at all. Barkley 1 makes me smile to this day. I still laugh at Dilbert 3, made free of charge, all the time. Even the promotional material of the vaporware Bakely 2 makes me laugh.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'll echo that, admittedly, I got $15 worth of entertainment from the development debacle of this whole thing alone. Take care of yourselves, and hope things go better on any further projects y'all work on.

If nothing else, this entire experience was probably a valuable lesson on keeping scale viable.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shoulda made bball tactics the combat btw.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

I want bball tactics to absolutely murder my phone's battery!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only games that come close to being as legitimately funny as Barkley 1 are the Yakuza games tbh

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Yakuza is also probably the closest to actually realizing the gameplay vision of B2, lol.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If B2 represents the best work you've produced music/writing/whatever wise why not release what you've got in whatever shape it is? Or at least release the OST or something. Seems a shame to have all your work locked up in a project that never will see the light of day.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Oh yeah I forgot about Yakuza lol

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Didn't want to post before because I could not possibly speak for all the backers, but might as well join the Feel Good Chorus here.

It's all good. The Promise trailer made me laugh all those years ago and that's all I wanted. Take it easy, lads

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

I feel like at this point the best solution would be to convince bhroom to just upload the repo and let it die as gracefully as it can.

and not attempt to spend another 6 years slowly making gradual progress on God knows what

Same, I would like to offer my services as a Producer/Project Manager in Video Games to tell bhroom his project is absolutely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I wanna say "keep it simple, stupid," but I understand that the temptation to make ambitions far beyond what's actually possible gets hard to resist when you shatter a Kickstarter goal. It's a recurring problem. Shitposting jokes aside, it's sad to see that this was a gigantic clusterfuck behind the scenes, and the best thing to do is to make a Metroid Prime 4-style hard reboot. But I haven't paid a cent to the Kickstarter so I'm probably just pissing into the wind.

Cboyardee, if you don't mind, I'd love to hear the music you made, and I'm sure I'm not alone.