Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

rear end cobra posted:

new mac pro will be an incredible pos.cant wait

Yeh you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rear end cobra posted:

the fact that its design hasn't leaked yet means it's months away from production if not delayed to 2020

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

the fact that its design hasn't leaked yet means it's months away from production if not delayed to 2020

or is so incredibly dumb that nobody believes the leakers.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Screen Time saved me from a cheating accusation.

Okay this was actually my sister but she doesn’t have a Reddit so I’ll just post for her. Also delete if not allowed.

Yesterday my sister was accused of cheating on her test when she glanced at her phone to check the time because the clock in the room didn’t work. Of course the teacher caught her at the exact moment when her head was down. Long story short her teacher wanted to report her for cheating and put it down on her academic record which would’ve been devastating to college prospects. My sister admits looking at her phone might not have been the smartest choice but she wanted to know the time to pace herself through the test. Anyways using the screen time feature my sister was able to prove she was not on any app between 2-4PM that would assist her on the test. The screen time not only showed time spent on safari but also the individual time spent on different websites which I think is a very neat feature. I just wanted to commend Apple for this great feature and it really saved my sister from a massive headache.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

number of problems solved by an Apple watch now above 0

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lmao imagine price on an apple laptop with single folding touchscreen

imagine the keybaord repair costs when the screen doesnt work as a keyboard

making it a $600 top case replacement is easy mode, image a $1500 foldable screen with $500 of batteries glued to it.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lambert posted:

lol, are you for real.

just stating my experience with this error, friend

it is a dumb and bad error, but a lot of people might get duped into thinking the data is gone forever and wipe the drive when they actually really want to keep old backups despite the garbage time machine made of the backup process itself

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sereri posted:

number of problems solved by an Apple watch now above 0

nah it was at 1 because the red sox used it to cheat and now we have anti cheating solution, so they cancel eachother out and were at 0 with an outstanding twilight question

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

I wonder if TV manufacturers collect data about what you're watching when you use the native apple tv app on your tv and if they also do it when you use an apple tv box. Do apple have enough pull to get Samsung and LG to turn off the data collection for the apple tv app.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Soricidus posted:

the notch is bad but at least it isn’t a loving punchout like anroid seems to love. just a round bit of the screen missing, not even connected to the edge. how the gently caress does anyone think that’s a good idea.

the camera bulge doesn’t matter because the iphone is designed to be used with a case. idk why they do this but it’s true and you know it

oh I know I just dont like or particularly need a case. when they were lighter and not glass it wasnt as bad, but somehow jives forgot the glass sliding issue of the 4 is more an issue when the phone is constantly angled slightly

that said the leather cases are nice. ive kept an eye open for a decent plastic equivalent but those all seem to be cheap oems with flimsy button molding

the punch out camera wouldnt be as offensive if they standardized the placement but its android so fat chance. at least the notch is a known entity developers can work around instead of an anomaly that could be anywhere in the screen

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ted hitler posted:

I wonder if TV manufacturers collect data about what you're watching when you use the native apple tv app on your tv and if they also do it when you use an apple tv box. Do apple have enough pull to get Samsung and LG to turn off the data collection for the apple tv app.

theyll be figuring out so.one's period and sell that off to advertisers soon enough

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

now i can put language learning flashcards on my watch

truly this is the future

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

now i can put language learning flashcards on my watch

truly this is the future
actually does seem like a good way to study kanji :shrug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ted hitler posted:

at least one of them actually analyzes what's on the screen, I don't think they would shut that off just for apple

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

two quotes from the keynote

quote:

The first HomeKit-enabled routers will come from Linksys and internet service providers like Spectrum.

quote:

Apple integrates hardware, software, and services better than anyone.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol at the idea that anyone, even the people who shoot them ever watches family videos

stop saying dub dub

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

qirex posted:

lol at the idea that anyone, even the people who shoot them ever watches family videos

um i think you mean people just forget to enjoy them

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
the Mac Pro is almost definitely going to be junk because there's no way Apple would make some poverty-tier model that could be upgraded with third-party hardware so that consumers could save money.

they may as well not even announce it, because it's gonna be poo poo

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

introducing windows 8 for ipad

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
doj is launching an antitrust investigation

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

Now we're bringing multi-window capability to iPad apps.

finally, multifinder for ios, fresh from 1987

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new MacOS is called iPad OS lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

quote:

You can now plug in USB drives and SD cards and access their contents in Files.

lol, i forgot this wasn't possible before

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

*only works with USB drives formatted to apfs

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress yes, its a rectangular box

edit wrong thread but you know what i mean

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Perplx posted:

gently caress yes, its a rectangular box

it looks fine so how did this take them three years

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

it looks fine so how did this take them three years

had to invent proprietary graphics card sleds that don't support commercial graphics cards

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
apple: we're selling a 1000 dollar display stand

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

fantastic reaction to the thousand dollar monitor stand

e:f,b

you could tell the moment everybody realized this is really just an increase in the monitor's price

also having the gall to call it loving XDR when it's still 10-bit

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lol, i forgot this wasn't possible before

it's also not possible now, because apple users have to keep pretending they're confused by files

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
lol macos is now ipados

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
good job apple, to celebrate ill upgrade to an iphone 6s

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

remember when microsoft tried this?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

qirex posted:

stop saying dub dub

Wubba Wubba

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tim found a way to sell a monitor stand for a grand, amazing

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

there's no way apple release a tower with a standard lga socket, a bunch of ram slots, a bunch of pci-e slots and a handful of nvme slots so there's basically no way they don't gently caress it up. i'm betting they release some sort of apple proprietary daughterboard thing with "modules" you can buy from apple until they get bored of supporting a machine that maybe 20000 people will buy

also none of it really matters if they don't make up with nvidia and support cuda because without that it's a non-starter for video editing, scientific computing or anyone doing ~machine learning~

hmmmm

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

rear end cobra posted:

:hmmyes:

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

coming soon to a fence near you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOwaYDKEkqk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
$6000 computer with 256mb ssd.