Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I'd argue that Radithor is more infamous, since that was the water Eben Byers drank before the radiation killed him.
Somehow I always forget about that one. I think it’s because Revigator sounds more... fantastical.

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore is an excellent read about radioactive horrors. Very similarily to the show, it covers everything from lead-up to aftermath in excruciating detail, very thoroughly describing the resulting health problems. Those are very distinct from ARS the firefighters and operators had in the show, because having radium accumulate in your teeth and face bones for years is something else entirely

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Presented without commentary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Stevens

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Well, in the 1920s a german firm invented the DORAMAD toothpaste.

Wiki-Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doramad_Radioactive_Toothpaste

To translate the Poster: "creates natural freshness in your mouth"

Maybe we could revitalise the product while simultaneously getting rid of spent fuelrods. Who doesn't want that glowing smile? :heysexy:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

bou posted:

Well, in the 1920s a german firm invented the DORAMAD toothpaste.

Wiki-Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doramad_Radioactive_Toothpaste

To translate the Poster: "creates natural freshness in your mouth"

Maybe we could revitalise the product while simultaneously getting rid of spent fuelrods. Who doesn't want that glowing smile? :heysexy:

This is the best part imo:

quote:

During the German military administration in occupied France during World War II, one group of German scientists stole all the thorium they could while in occupied France. The Alsos Mission thought they were using the heavy elements for the refinement of uranium to be used in an atomic bomb, but they were only interested in using the thorium after the war in a patented brand of German toothpaste.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

etalian posted:

Also interesting article on all the eastern bloc cars featured on the show:
https://jalopnik.com/chernobyl-s-cars-paint-a-fascinating-and-grim-picture-o-1835134720

It only addresses the first two episodes, but I thought it was a great touch how the miners arrived in cute, if loud, crappy and cramped PAZ buses. While the LAZ buses that the people were evacuated with were used for mid-range, city travel, then the real working class in rural routes were riding PAZ.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:PAZ-672

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This is a good joke and I hope we can steal it: :ohdear:

In the Soviet government system, radiation based offenses are considered especially heinous. In Pripyat, the dedicated nuclear physicists who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Radioactive Victims Unit. These are their stories

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This seems topical:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/original-S...-f282cxLZQOFLXE

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It does.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

I'm gonna pass. I recently saw this show which gave me serious trust issues towards Russia's nuclear program and those specific reactors

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Has anyone mentioned the radioactive Boyscout? I know it's different-ish, but seeing some of the other "related material" shared made me think of him and his lil hobby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn?wprov=sfla1

e; His later life is pretty WTF too.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 3, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Has anyone mentioned the radioactive Boyscout? I know it's different-ish, bit seeing some of the other "related material" shared made me think of him and his lil hobby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn?wprov=sfla1

I love the bit where the mom freaks out thinking she's going to lose her house so she collects anything that looks like it might be radioactive and dumps it in the local dump.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
That Englishman in Belarus is some cool rear end videos

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
ANyone else think Danish people have a low average living age because of candle lights and the total ignorance towards Chernobyl disatorr???

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Buller posted:

That Englishman in Belarus is some cool rear end videos

Yeah I watched all of his Belarus and Russia videos they're pretty cool.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
The Atlantic has a photo article up today. The first image show rooftop liquidators. There's distortion at the bottom, but the caption doesn't indicate if it's from radiation as I've heard before.

Quick edit: There's also a picture of the "Red Forest" (image 4), which I don't think I've seen previous. Holy crap, that's stark. That one's otherworldly.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 3, 2019

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I've had the soundtrack to the show on loop all day pretty much and it's so drat good. Fantastic grim ambient that really shows how significantly the score emphasizes the dread of the show. I super recommend it.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The Atlantic has a photo article up today. The first image show rooftop liquidators. There's distortion at the bottom, but the caption doesn't indicate if it's from radiation as I've heard before.

Quick edit: There's also a picture of the "Red Forest" (image 4), which I don't think I've seen previous. Holy crap, that's stark. That one's otherworldly.

Yeah, it's super unsettling to see something so astoundingly deadly manifest itself visually like that. Holy cow.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
"Following orders issued by Soviet authorities to mark the end of cleanup operations on the roof of the No. 3 reactor, three men were requested to post a red flag atop the chimney overlooking the destroyed reactor, reached by climbing 78 meters up a spiral staircase. The flag bearers were sent despite the dangers posed by heavy radiation, and after a group of liquidators had already made two failed attempts by helicopter. The radiation expert Alexander Yourtchenko carried the pole, followed by Valéri Starodoumov with the flag, and Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Sotnikov with the radio. The whole operation was timed to last only 9 minutes, given the high radiation levels. At the end, the trio were rewarded with a bottle of Pepsi (a luxury in 1986) and a day off."

:ussr:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Collapsing Farts posted:

"Following orders issued by Soviet authorities to mark the end of cleanup operations on the roof of the No. 3 reactor, three men were requested to post a red flag atop the chimney overlooking the destroyed reactor, reached by climbing 78 meters up a spiral staircase. The flag bearers were sent despite the dangers posed by heavy radiation, and after a group of liquidators had already made two failed attempts by helicopter. The radiation expert Alexander Yourtchenko carried the pole, followed by Valéri Starodoumov with the flag, and Lieutenant Colonel Alexander Sotnikov with the radio. The whole operation was timed to last only 9 minutes, given the high radiation levels. At the end, the trio were rewarded with a bottle of Pepsi (a luxury in 1986) and a day off."

:ussr:

A bottle of pepsi and a day off? Sign me up!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The fact that it's the exact same distortion between the pictures argues against it being radiation. Even when the photo is taken at different angles it's exactly the same. You can see an increase in the grainy-ness between the black and white photos on the roof and the other photos, which is very likely to be radiation caused.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ZorajitZorajit posted:

It most definitely is. Each one of those brighter spots is the hole on the bottom side of the film the camera uses to advance it through the mechanical system. It's being hit from all the radiation below hence why it shows on the bottom, but not the top

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stare-Out posted:

I've had the soundtrack to the show on loop all day pretty much and it's so drat good. Fantastic grim ambient that really shows how significantly the score emphasizes the dread of the show. I super recommend it.

Yeah, it's super unsettling to see something so astoundingly deadly manifest itself visually like that. Holy cow.

yeah the music is haunting, I love that stretched out synth sound

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah the music is haunting, I love that stretched out synth sound

I thought it was synth at first too but I finally fired up the high quality dosimeter they sent from moscow and Im pretty sure it's all or mostly cello. There's effects reverb and delay plus a loop pedal doing time stretching but I think the majority of what we're hearing is that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Disaster response logistics is always so amazing to see. You can see in situations like this, people really want to help.

I know someone who was involved with the cleanup of the bombing of the Murrah building in Oklahoma City in 1995. She had some wild stories from that cleanup effort.
In a news interview, the first responders said they could use more work gloves. Within an hour, Wal Mart c-suite office called and said they had a truck with 5,000 pairs en route that will be there in a couple hours, but they could send more if needed.
She was working for the coroner's office, and was one of two people who had to photograph every dead body. Nikon heard about it and immediately flew out an executive from Japan on their company jet with a state of the art 1 megapixel digital camera for them to use.

168 people died, including 19 kids and babies. :smith: She and her coworker photographed them all. She got some pretty severe mental trauma from that, and was on disability and lots of therapy for several years after that.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Stare-Out posted:

Listening to it now as well, I'm getting massive Half-Life vibes from this.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SeXReX posted:

I thought it was synth at first too but I finally fired up the high quality dosimeter they sent from moscow and Im pretty sure it's all or mostly cello. There's effects reverb and delay plus a loop pedal doing time stretching but I think the majority of what we're hearing is that.

It seems like it's only cello when it needs a melody, plus a few vocal parts. All the eerie background noises were apparently sampled in a working RBMK reactor.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have been watching this show in horror and decided to take a look at Landsat imagery before and after the accident and saw some changes that even Landsat could detect.

This is Landsat 5, Band 5, which is shortwave infrared. This is before the accident, in April 1986

This is May 1986, after.

It looks like the water (or what I think is water) which is dark below and right of the marker is absent in the after image. Just below and left of the marker there is also darker returns.

I know these are subtle, but eh, at 30m pixels you get what you get.

If there are other super gis nerds here, here is my Earth Engine script that I used to make these. https://code.earthengine.google.com/68b445acb7efdc788309f3be70eacaf6

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TigerXtrm posted:

Listening to it now as well, I'm getting massive Half-Life vibes from this.

You did not see a resonance cascade comrade, it is impossible for such an event to occur at Черно Столь

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

We don't go to Pripyet any more.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Anatoly Dyatlost was studying in his was studying laboratoried.
Fellow scientist cow-orker Aleksandr said "Antony Dyatov what are you working on"
"UI have discovered new radoactive isatope but it is so vollatile that it does not have a half-life but quarter-life so we must observe with hasty"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How do I watch this on Amazon Prime with HBO Go? Just load up the application at 9PM CST and hope the new episode shows up?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

How do I watch this on Amazon Prime with HBO Go? Just load up the application at 9PM CST and hope the new episode shows up?

Yeah

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spankmeister posted:

You did not see a resonance cascade comrade, it is impossible for such an event to occur at Черно Столь

Obviously the resonance cascade was a operator error caused by Comrade Gordon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

spankmeister posted:

3.3 headcrabs an hour? Not good, but not bad either.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

canyoneer posted:

Disaster response logistics is always so amazing to see. You can see in situations like this, people really want to help.

I know someone who was involved with the cleanup of the bombing of the Murrah building in Oklahoma City in 1995. She had some wild stories from that cleanup effort.
In a news interview, the first responders said they could use more work gloves. Within an hour, Wal Mart c-suite office called and said they had a truck with 5,000 pairs en route that will be there in a couple hours, but they could send more if needed.
She was working for the coroner's office, and was one of two people who had to photograph every dead body. Nikon heard about it and immediately flew out an executive from Japan on their company jet with a state of the art 1 megapixel digital camera for them to use.

That's really cool to see so many people contributing for that. It's also weird to think about how the actions of one person, or a few people, that caused a disaster affect a person's view of humanity more than the much more numerous people coming together to help.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I watched the first season of The Terror yesterday and it was drat good, though I hated the supernatural aspect of it. I know it was based on a novel but the based-on-true-events stuff was so loving good and skillfully executed that the janky CGI polar bear spirit beast stuff felt like I was alternating between compelling historical drama and a crap b-movie from 1987.

E: I should point out that I watched it because of the Jared Harris connection and people mentioning it in this thread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I watched the first season of The Terror yesterday and it was drat good, though I hated the supernatural aspect of it. I know it was based on a novel but the based-on-true-events stuff was so loving good and skillfully executed that the janky CGI polar bear spirit beast stuff felt like I was alternating between compelling historical drama and a crap b-movie from 1987.

E: I should point out that I watched it because of the Jared Harris connection and people mentioning it in this thread.

Yeah the real world story of the HMS Terror/Erebus is so tragic and terrifying you could almost do without the supernatural horror/creature feature element.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

etalian posted:

Yeah the real world story of the HMS Terror/Erebus is so tragic and terrifying you could almost do without the supernatural horror/creature feature element.

Completely. I appreciated both aspects separately but together they felt so completely off. I'll watch a low-budget gory monster movie any day just as well as I'll watch an impeccably written and performed true story historical drama but when the two are clumsily forced together, it's a big old shame. I was fairly familiar with the true story so when all the nonsense starts happening I drat near checked out and from there on in only paid attention to when it was just the characters interacting and actually creating drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gonna be pissed if we don't see the elephant's foot :colbert: