Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

TIFU by writing official mails to people and not realising my profile picture is literally me grabbing a friend's butt

Lol. That's a pretty great one tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Leon Einstein posted:

The authors of these articles seem oblivious that the essays make them look like horrible people. What a selfish person.

Did you finish the article?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

LadyPictureShow posted:

Some of the comments by the OP are strange:

Wait, huh?

One day a week! Kid-havers of the thread, weigh in. When kids have one stay at home parent, do they tend to be 'better behaved' when the other parent is in charge of them because it's a change in routine or stimuli? Or is that just anecdotal BS?

Though he does mention the kids start nursery school half time next year, so maybe the issues will resolve themselves then?

It 100% depends on how they parent. What I see a lot of is the non-SAH parent has no patience and uses more threats/punishment, and the kids act differently between the two parents (and not necessarily better for the non-SAH one).

If the parents parent consistently, there's no difference.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

My [23F] Boyfriend [33M] is not independent for his age Relationships
submitted 15 hours ago by LizaLezli3

quote:

My boyfriend and i have known each other for over 2 years but we’ve been together for a year. He’s a sweet guy but lately I’ve been unhappy and starting to notice things that make me think about our future.

First of all my boyfriend is having a financial rough patch. He needed $300 for his rent in April and he is already somewhat behind on his bills so, instead of letting him take out a loan to pay his rent i gave him the $300.

He gave me $100 back because I asked for that but. The other day he said he was going to give me the rest of it back then he changed it and said “i can only give you $60 and i will give you the rest back next month”. It’s now June and I haven’t received the rest back.

He paid his rent late last month and he has to pawn his PS4 because he cannot pay his rent this month.

Not only can he not pay his rent but he can’t pay his renters insurance which is $40. He borrowed $40 from his sister to pay that.

My boyfriend has a good paying job but when they offer to get off early my boyfriend leaves and i argue with him a lot about leaving work early because financially he shouldnt be leaving work early he should try to get as many hours as he can. He doesn’t do over time either. My boyfriends job offers OT to get more hours and extra pay but he never takes advantage of it.

He stays up until 4am playing the game when he could be staying up until 4 at work getting more hours to pay his bills. He doesn’t take advantage of more money when he’s offered it.

TL:DR; My boyfriend is becoming a financal burden on everyone why doesn’t he do better?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

My mother (50F) asks me (20F) to travel home to wake up my teenage brother (15M)

quote:

Hi everyone,

This morning I was yelled at down the phone by my mother for refusing to travel 1 hour home and back to wake my 15 year old brother up for school. She has always babied and coddled him, to the point where he is 16 this year and she still puts his socks on for him, brings all his meals and snacks to him and makes zero attempt to help him mature. He is never left home alone, she tells him what to do and when, and both of my parents lives revolve around him. He does not know how to boil a kettle, and has never done anything independently. If he doesn't want to do something, he will have a tantrum. I would like to point out that he has no learning difficulties or anything like that that would explain this. He has just not grown up. My birthday day out to London was cancelled because he didn't want to go, and I was called selfish as a result. I am 20, I've been living away from home at university one city away for about 2 years now.

Previously, she has asked me to come home from university to walk my brother 15 minutes home from school, at 4pm, along a route he has done 1000x before. Yesterday, she called me to ask if I would come home from uni on Wednesday to put my brother's dinner on as she is going to a funeral. A sad event, but of a relative she rarely sees who is very old and died naturally. I am not saying she shouldn't go to the funeral, just that it was not out of the blue. She had been preparing for this for a while. I said I wasn't happy about it, but I didn't have plans that day, so fine.

This morning she calls me to say the funeral was at 9:30am so she'd be back by tea-time. I thought great, no reason for me to come home as my brother is at school. But actually she now wants me to come back Tuesday evening (late) after volunteering and a busy day. Tuesday evening is the only time I get to see my boyfriend this week, so I said no. The reason she wants me to come back is so I can wake my brother up for school Wednesday morning and make sure he locks the front door. I told her that was too much of an ask for something he can do himself, and she proceeded to call me a selfish child, and that 'we all have to do things we don't want to do' and that she has made sacrifices for me. At this point I just said I wasn't having this conversation and hung up. I then text her to explain that I don't want to come back for multiple reasons- my boyfriend, I have a busy day on Tuesday, and it's just not practical. Plus the reason she wants me to come back is ridiculous, as he is almost 16 and can easily set an alarm. I shouldn't have to travel 2 hours round-trip to wake my 16 brother up for school.

So, am I being unreasonable? I understand she is going to a funeral, but surely this is unacceptable. I am a 20 year old woman with a life of her own in a completely different city. If my brother had to be left alone for days of course I would come back, or if something sudden happened. But he is almost 16, and will literally be at school for most of the day they want me back. He should be able to wake himself up for one day, get himself breakfast and walk out the door- he gets picked up by someone else's mum before school.

Any advice at all would help.

TLDR: My mum is going to a funeral on Wednesday and wants me to travel a 2 hour round trip to wake my 15 YO brother up for school. She has a history of babying him and I'm a university student with my own life in a different city. Am I wrong to say no and that he should just set an alarm seeing as I have other plans? Edit: typo.

Update: I called my dad to explain the situation and he said he agreed with my mother and that I was a disappointment to the family. He said it was not about what they asked me to do but that they rarely ask for help and when they do I should always help where I can- it was the principle that counts. He also said I was opening a can of worms and that there's a lot I should be doing at 20 that I'm not. When I asked what I should be doing he said driving, which is ridiculous as I live in a big city and the only reason I'm not learning is because it's too expensive and would be useless when I can easily bus/train everywhere. He knows this. He then repeated he was disappointed in me and I hung up the phone, upset, after saying I don't know want more they want me to do. I had a job I've saved my wages from so I can budget accordingly, I do well at university, I am good with money, I have responsible friends and a great boyfriend, I make time to see my parents when I can. Currently feeling very hopeless and deflated. Thank you for your support though, everyone

What the christ? I get parents playing favorites with their kids, but this is extreme coddling

Maybe the brother is undiagnosed with something, or he is diagnosed and their parents never told OP cause she's the least favorite kid

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

My [23F] Boyfriend [33M] is not independent for his age Relationships
submitted 15 hours ago by LizaLezli3

I say break up but for the reason of the man is obviously a fool if his renter's insurance is $40/month.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for ruining someone's life.

quote:

no clue what to make the title, and I will be using a throwaway as this is pretty bad. I'm also pretty sure I'm the worlds biggest rear end in a top hat but I wanted to double check.

so last week one of my colleagues was not looking 100% when she came into work, I asked her if she was ok and she told me that someone called CPS on them 3 times in 2 weeks to report abuse. she is in a relationship with a woman and they have a 2 year old girl. she is super adorable btw. I gave her a hug and told her she could call me whenever she needs to.

word got around the office and it turns out that one of the girls bellow us called them in because she was super anti gay, she was fired.

she posted on Facebook about how she lost her job but never gave a reason why. I then decided to start replying to all the comments and telling them what she did, I replied to about 15 or so people.

turns out that it's not ok do to that and I got some not so nice messages from her family telling me off for ruining her image.

I'm now honestly thinking I took it a step to far and should of left it.

AITA?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

DemoneeHo posted:

“How dare you ruin our daughter’s image by telling people about all the horrible things she’s done!”

:wtc:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

DemoneeHo posted:

1) NTA - OP didn't get her fired. I initially thought OP was saying that his (gay) colleague was the one that was fired. If it was the person who reported her, gently caress that person sideways.

Edit: Wait did she get fired for having CPS called on her or because she is gay? I read the original bit as "she had CPS called on her by someone who doesn't like the fact that she's in a same-sex relationship with a kid" but maybe not. If not, why even mention that?

Double Edit: Ok it was the person who tried to rat the gay colleague out I guess. NTA in any way shape or form. This whole story is confusing. I was under the impression that the gay colleague was fired.

Frank Frank fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 3, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DemoneeHo posted:

Nah gently caress that homophobe, let the world know her crime.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DemoneeHo posted:

:yeshaha:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Giant_Pupils posted:

1) NTA - OP didn't get her fired. I hope she has a an enormous lawsuit pending at this point.

2) YTA - Don't out people on facebook, you idiot.

Edit: Wait did she get fired for having CPS called on her or because she is gay? I read the original bit as "she had CPS called on her by someone who doesn't like the fact that she's in a same-sex relationship with a kid" but maybe not. If not, why even mention that?
Homophobic coworker called CPS on lesbian coworker, because she's a lesbian. Homophobic coworker got fired for that.

OP commented on facebook saying homophobic coworker got fired for calling CPS on lesbian coworker.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Giant_Pupils posted:

1) NTA - OP didn't get her fired. I hope she has a an enormous lawsuit pending at this point.

Gay colleague had CPS called on them by Homophobe Colleague. Homophobe was fired for doing this bullshit. Homophobe put "WOE IS ME" story on Facebook. OP went "You got fired because you were a homophobe falsely calling CPS."

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Giant_Pupils posted:

You're reading it wrong. The company didn't fire the lesbian, they fired the homophobe who made a bullshit call to CPS.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Giant_Pupils posted:

The homophobe got fired for harassment, not the lesbian

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Giant_Pupils posted:

1) NTA - OP didn't get her fired. I initially thought OP was saying that his (gay) colleague was the one that was fired. If it was the person who reported her, gently caress that person sideways.

Double Edit: Ok it was the person who tried to rat the gay colleague out I guess. NTA in any way shape or form. This whole story is confusing. I was under the impression that the gay colleague was fired.

I read it as the outer was fired, not CPS mom
Edit: Beaten like that fired lady claimed gay mom's kids were being

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Midnight Voyager posted:

Gay colleague had CPS called on them by Homophobe Colleague. Homophobe was fired for doing this bullshit. Homophobe put "WOE IS ME" story on Facebook. OP went "You got fired because you were a homophobe falsely calling CPS."

How on earth would this make OP "the worst person on earth"? The homophobic coworker is the rear end in a top hat here in every part of this scenario.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Giant_Pupils posted:

There's two different women involved. One is the OP's gay coworker, the second is the anti-gay woman who called CPS on the first woman. The second lady got fired, presumably for harassing the first.

OP named and shamed the second woman

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DemoneeHo posted:

Hahaha, we recently fired a girl for being really bad at everything, lying on her timesheets, and then stealing the check and running after we caught her lying about her work hours and held it back until we could figure out when she really worked. After throwing her tantrum at getting fired she grabbed a bunch of pill bottles she had hidden around her workspace and left.

I later found out that she had openly said racist poo poo to the other employees and went on her Facebook to find a picture of her draped in a Confederate flag at the beach. I gladly told everyone what she had done and showed them the picture so nobody would feel bad.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
What is there to gain by clarifying for their family/friends why she got fired? She's out of your company and out of your life. Seems like an unwise thing to be commenting on when you're not HR and not in direct knowledge of the details of her firing. She's an evil and pernicious busybody, but OP is a busybody, too. I guess if one is seeking the validation of reddit, then have some gold.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah please think of the delicate feelings of the homophobe filing false reports trying to get a women's child taking away

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Pinecone Sample posted:

What is there to gain by clarifying for their family/friends why she got fired? She's out of your company and out of your life. Seems like an unwise thing to be commenting on when you're not HR and not in direct knowledge of the details of her firing. She's an evil and pernicious busybody, but OP is a busybody, too. I guess if one is seeking the validation of reddit, then have some gold.

Probably not a wise thing to do but I don't think it makes him an rear end in a top hat. Also, why is OP friends on FB with some person who he admits knowing is an awful person?
Hell, I actively try to avoid adding any of my current coworkers to FB.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I would enjoy seeing or participating in a homophobe public shaming :shrug:

especially given the life changing consequences of what could go badly calling CPS fraudulently on people, sexual preferences aside.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

On the other hand, gently caress her.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Hey I wish her all the ill in the world, I just don't know why I'd put my own rear end on the line to generate it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Piell posted:

AITA for believing in science?

Somehow I 100% knew exactly who this guy had been listening to, and checking his other posts on Reddit confirmed it. Can you do the same? Its Jordan Peterson, of course.
If he actually followed science he'd know that there is a direct correlation between being a JP fan and not being in a relationship because depressed dudes that treat cleaning their rooms as a major life-changing revelation are not ready to date anyone.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DreamingofRoses posted:

Did you finish the article?

I feel like I have a very different reading of it than some people in this thread. The headline is bad but the article is mostly about how her kid needs to be treated like a kid instead of an adult, and how her and her husband need to make time for each other without involving the kid. Like normal obvious poo poo.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

My mother (50F) asks me (20F) to travel home to wake up my teenage brother (15M)

What the christ? I get parents playing favorites with their kids, but this is extreme coddling

Maybe the brother is undiagnosed with something, or he is diagnosed and their parents never told OP cause she's the least favorite kid

If he wasnt diagnosed with something before he can surely be diagnosed with something now after being raised like that

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

LadyPictureShow posted:

Some of the comments by the OP are strange:

Wait, huh?

One day a week! Kid-havers of the thread, weigh in. When kids have one stay at home parent, do they tend to be 'better behaved' when the other parent is in charge of them because it's a change in routine or stimuli? Or is that just anecdotal BS?

Though he does mention the kids start nursery school half time next year, so maybe the issues will resolve themselves then?

On account of being not completely burned out by that. Lol one day. Like a dude volunteering one day in the shitmills and "OMG why are you complaining so hard, this is almost fun".

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

That 15 year old is completely hosed. The sister should count her blessings that she wasn't the favorite one.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I 25(M) have been paying my mother's and siblings rent and bills for the past several months....want to move out but not sure how?

quote:

Yes this is a Throwaway, and I apologize if this is the wrong sub. But here goes....

Apologies for the semi long life story in advance. There is a TL;DR at the bottom of this post if you prefer.

So since I was young my parents have obviously taken care of me and for as long as I can remember (age 12 and up I believe) I've been helping my parents with the their online ebay/amazon selling business's... but when they figured out that selling random things online wasn't really a stable source of employment to support a family (ever since I was young we've been evicted from multiple homes, had to constantly move due to the not being able to pay rent and deal with electricity being shut off in the homes that we surprisingly were able to pay rent on along with a slew of other utilities being shut off)

I can very vividly remember when my entire family had to all cram into our old SUV as it became our new home. I actually start getting pretty bad depression when even thinking about those dark times in my life.

So growing up and being poor is an understatement.

About 15 years ago my Aunt passed away and left my parents a $50K inheritance. They decide the best thing to do with that money is to pack up everything and move to LA and throw my siblings and I into acting at the ages of 13 and 14. Fast forward a year or two and I did manage to book one commercial but that was actually the only role I ever landed. After those countless auditions and failed years of acting, the entire 50K inheritance was all but used up on our acting careers.

At the time I completely blamed myself for not being good enough for producers and not having enough talent to help support my family. Not to mention my parents also blamed our financial situation and living in the car on me and my siblings as well, so you can imagine the emotional stress and abuse I was going through at the age of 14.

There we times I literally wanted to end my own life.

Oh and did I mention my parents pulled us out of school as well...

But that's enough of the past...

Onto the present.

Im turning 25 in a few weeks and my father passes away a few months ago and my moms online selling business (Amazon and eBay) have all but dried up due to tighter restrictions/payment holds, and become far too saturated to make a decent income on anymore. Right now she makes maybe a couple hundred every couple weeks and has absolutely nothing in the bank and terrible credit. Don't even get me started on retirement...

While I'm pretty much trying to put my life together and get my GED and head to college, while also working full time + overtime. I use 100% of my money paying rent and all her bills and also supporting my brothers and sisters (all of which have also been out of work for the past few months as well).

I also currently still share a room and bed with my younger brother.

Now my dilemma is that I really want to move out and just start my own life since I now have stable income and a pretty secure job, but if I do that I'm absolutely 110% sure my Mom and siblings will get evicted within the next month or so as I know they are only getting by on my sole income. It's been like this the past 7 or 8 months.

I feel like my mother will also guilt trip me and make it seem like I'm abandoning her and my family which I really don't want to do because I truly love my family, but at the same time I am 25 years old and feel as though I should have started living on my own by now. Hell, I've never even had a girlfriend, and before this job I've never even had any friends period!

I'm stuck in a hard place and with a very tough decision to face. If these people were strangers I would've dropped them like a rock long ago and moved on, but they are my family and cared for me when I was sick etc... so leaving them now seems cruel and I don't want to have that guilt on my conscious.

How do I go about moving out the right way without hurting my relationship with my family??

TL;DR Parents have been making bad financial decisions since I was born and now I want to move out but they are extremely reliant on me.

I apologize if I rambled too much, hopefully my original question came across okay.

Thank you

Also apologies for the typos! Posting this on my phone as I'm about to go to sleep and have to get up early for work tomorrow!

Hmm what about the other siblings?

quote:

Eldest brother is 26, eldest sister is 28 middle sister is 21, and youngest brother is 16 and youngest sister is 18.
You're right, I've been telling them to find a job for months but they refuse to work most jobs, especially part time. But I'm going to lay down the law soon and let them know I'm leaving in a few months.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Hughlander posted:

I 25(M) have been paying my mother's and siblings rent and bills for the past several months....want to move out but not sure how?

Hmm what about the other siblings?

Time to abandon sloth family Robinson and strike out on your own bucko. Poor guy.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for cutting contact with my twin siblings because I can no longer deal with the fact that I have known about their deepest darkest secret for a very long time and the fact that this secret is the reason I have been hosed up for years now?

I have 2 older sibling who are in their late 20's, they were the best siblings to me especially when growing up. They both treated me equally and made sure to take time out of their lives to help me with school or just hang out watch movies etc.

So back in 2015 during the holidays both of my siblings who live together 3 hours away in a different city came over and spent almost a week with our parents and me which was fun, but one of the worst things to ever happen to me during those days was finding out the truth, finding out my siblings deep and darkest secret that they have been in a incest relationship and since then my relationship with them has been strained but they have no idea why.

Just few days ago my Brother texted me to join them at our parents house because they were coming over to announce some big news and that big news ended up being that both of my sibling were moving to Spain permanently soon, their excuse was that they are bored of their work and lives so they want a fresh start. My brother made it seem like that originally he was the only one moving there for work purposes and according to him once my Sister found this out she decided to move there to. The hosed up part is that both of parents although not happy at first gave their blessing and it just made me loving snap.

I said some horrible things to my sibling which none of it were me outing them to my parents or anything like that. I don't even know why I snapped, but in the end, I told my siblings that I want nothing to do with them and to have a great future together. I haven't spoken to them since and my parents and friends keep asking me why I was and still am so angry at them and that I should call my siblings to apologize but gently caress that.

Before any of you ask No, I'm not interested in incest and I certainly do not have any interest or attraction to my siblings.

Also, I do not plan to out my Siblings to family or friends now or in the future, but I want no part in it and I don't want them to be part of my life anymore. I really hope that they are truly happy, but I'm loving done.

So, am I the rear end in a top hat here? I am too hosed up right now but I am sticking to my gun.

Edit: for anyone wondering how I found out, I was staying at my parents guest room which was at the top floor. Went to the washroom very early in the morning and heard muffled noises downstairs only to catch my sister giving my brother oral. It was pretty clear what was happening.

Edit #2: The more comments I read from you guys the more I question myself.

Edit #3: some of you guys not getting why I'm so upset is the very reason I'm upset. None of you guys are in my current position, especially those who fantasize incest.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
What in the actual gently caress.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Poor kid: "My brother and sister are in an incestuous relationship and are moving to a foreign country together. I am not taking this well"

Redditors: "Get woke, philistine :smug:"

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Giant_Pupils posted:

Probably not a wise thing to do but I don't think it makes him an rear end in a top hat. Also, why is OP friends on FB with some person who he admits knowing is an awful person?
Hell, I actively try to avoid adding any of my current coworkers to FB.

You'd be surprised how many people don't use any kind of privacy settings on their Facebook. You don't have to be their friend to see their stupid poo poo or post on their page if they have no privacy settings set up.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

This one is absolutely infuriating.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Hellblazer187 posted:

This one is absolutely infuriating.

If she could drive, it would only take her 2 hours to get home.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm guessing the family could have one of those 'little prince' situations going on. Brother coddled/waited on hand and foot, and both parents calling the daughter 'the worst' and a 'disappointment' for not dropping everything and going out of her way to do something for him.

A former colleague was from Taiwan; when she was born, her grandfather even said 'a girl? She can't even piss on a wall'. Her younger brother came along and to this day is basically functionally useless because he was favored and babied his entire life.

He's still the favorite, even though his sister got a Ph.D. and is huge in her field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

areyoucontagious posted:

My husband wants a “white” name for our baby
u/expresssf

Soysaucebeast posted:

Hummus hating husband has a mini-update. Looks like communication wins again.

Update to my husband wants a white name

This racist piece of poo poo is gonna despise their daughter and make her life hell.

quote:

He really had to accommodate all these years which I am so so appreciative of, he did not have to do that, he could have taken the easy way out and dumped me for someone that didn’t require so much effort.

God drat.