Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BisbyWorl posted:

Even XIV references it in Stormblood, which honestly surprised me.

Heck, they even included the typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Oxxidation posted:

imo the only part of the story that gets murky is the huge materia hunt, because you're never really given a clear reason why you're sabotaging shinra's operation without any sort of counter-plan

Materia is the crystallised knowledge of the ancients and destroying it to no purpose (Sephiroth can just summon another one if you don't also deal with him, even if they did succeed in destroying this one) is the kind of wasteful activity that led the WEAPONs to attack Midgar.

They have a conversation kind of about this but I guess it's not explicitly spelled out as people are confused it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Locke posted:

Stormblood is All References No Substance the expansion so it doesn’t surprise me in the least.

that's what it's always sounded like to me. i have zero interest in a game like that

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

that's what it's always sounded like to me. i have zero interest in a game like that

Heavensward is pretty much the best Final Fantasy game put out since the original Playstation (and I even like X). It's good and fun and the plot's well written even if you'll never fail to figure out where it's going you'll enjoy watching the characters go through it. Even the dumb reference stuff like the Warring Triad have a real place in the world and are fun little dives.

Stormblood... was a tremendous letdown after Heavensward.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Stormblood had something decent going with Ala Mhigo and the story with reclaiming it and such and then it hard swerves into Doma which is The Land of Refs yeah

Like they try to kludge it in but it doesn't work that well for me

That said where the overall plot fails the individual character storytelling is still p. good in my opinion

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Just finished FF15, while it was a huge mess, and huge confusing gaps had to be filled in by browsing the wiki, I think it ultimately stuck the landing. It works best as a character driven work, and Noctis having to go on a fun adventure with his best friends and give it all up for their sakes works with his personal growth.

Also, I have the Royal Edition, but for some reason the Episode DLC content isn't showing up properly, what do I have to do?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
episode dlc is accessed through the game's start screen. you might have to connect to psn and double check that your downloads are good to go.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The White Dragon posted:

episode dlc is accessed through the game's start screen. you might have to connect to psn and double check that your downloads are good to go.

Yeah the dlcs don't get downloaded automatically. Think you might have to redeem them to get them to show up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

Heavensward is pretty much the best Final Fantasy game put out since the original Playstation (and I even like X). It's good and fun and the plot's well written even if you'll never fail to figure out where it's going you'll enjoy watching the characters go through it. Even the dumb reference stuff like the Warring Triad have a real place in the world and are fun little dives.

Stormblood... was a tremendous letdown after Heavensward.

Well good news, because the next 24-man raid is going to just be one big reference to a completely different game series! :shepface:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just think Doma was a strange and dumb detour from Ala Mhigo and I didn't really like it. I really think that the inclusion of Doma was more about love for SAM than anything else. Like how HW was a big ol' love letter to DRG.

The characters were good in SB though. I quite liked that the more you learn of the history of Ala Mhigo the more you realize that Lyse being ineffectual, idealistic, and ultimately incapable of strong-arming policy is exactly what Ala Mhigo thrives under. At first I thought Lyse was poo poo at leading compared to sociopath Hien, but then we learn that in the past Hien-like leaders have only caused huge problems for Ala Mhigo.

I also quite liked Golfbag Jones as the main villain. He's just like the WoL he's only good at destroying things. He just happens to have the US Armed Forces backing him.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Merilan posted:

Doma which is The Land of Refs yeah
Like Doma Existing As a Place Since ARR, Brainpans, the Lupin race, and...Yojimbo in the optional sidequest dungeon?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Rirse posted:

Yeah the dlcs don't get downloaded automatically. Think you might have to redeem them to get them to show up.

Oh, I found it, the code was hiding in the DVD case. Downloading right now, but I'm not super motivated to jump right in, Observation is calling me, then I need to have a play with the new Stellaris update, then PoE.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
since you already passed the points you would play gladio and prompto you can skip those but i would recommend episode ignis at least

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's nothing ambiguous about the ending at all. It's the ruins of midgar, the thing the game has been hammering home "This is a big symbol of everything bad humanity has done" to contrast with the good aspects of humanity, overrun with nature while Red XIII's descendants run around. He was kind of the last of the tigermen or whatever his loving deal was so him having descendants is a big "Hey life found a way". Midgar being in ruins isn't "AND ALL OF HUMANITY DIED" its "Humanity moved beyond the ideology that was poisoning the world and themselves".

it's very clearly and obviously that because it directly mirrors the final fight of the game, Cloud, in an idealized version of himself, killing the idealized Sephiroth, finally moving beyond him in both in power and in his own broken brain. It's literally him moving beyond the ideology and literal poison that had ravaged his physical and mental health.

Like if everyone just dies Haha PLanet cruel than the entire deal with cloud defeating sephiroth who had become a literal cyst blocking the flow of life energy for the planet doesn't really loving make any real narrative sense.

it's the Squall is dead theory of FF7. It makes no loving sense given the themes or actual events of the games but it's a cool, pessimisstic read on the narrative.

Squall is dead is a fun but very flawed theory, unlike the canon not-officially-debunked theory fact that Rinoa is Ultimecia coming back after uhh grieving too much for Squall.

Oxxidation posted:

iscar matthias your time has come

I may be biased but I'll throw a vote for TWD's original FF character do not steal:

The White Dragon posted:

Job/Occupation, anything goes. This is the most important part. sells drugs, so she can afford a lawyer to represent her as one of the illegitimate heirs to the throne
Hair color or Hair style dreds but green because this is a japanese game
How many belts 1
How many pouches tons for obvious reasons
What kind of armor, if any one of those shirts that has bob marley's face looking right but halfway back his head turns into a lion's head looking left
Zippers? only on the pouches
Some particular stupid accessory of your choice elbow-length mantle cape + hood to conceal identity while evading the police

She uhh cooks materia.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Elentor posted:

Squall is dead is a fun but very flawed theory, unlike the canon not-officially-debunked theory fact that Rinoa is Ultimecia coming back after uhh grieving too much for Squall.

I may be biased but I'll throw a vote for TWD's original FF character do not steal:

She uhh cooks materia.

R=U gives story reason for GFs making you forget things by having those be there reason she don't recognise him when she goes back in time.

All you have to do is accept that sorceresses love forever if they don't pass on their powers and need knights to not go insane only obviously Rinoa wouldn't take another one when old man Squall does. Wait there I've got a fanfic that -

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
So how does R=U account for her sudden fascination with Ks?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have you like seen how fast language changes in your lifetime, how slangs and accents move at a super fast pace?

Ultimecia comes from a future where everyone's playing Mortal Kombat and that poo poo is the bomb, it's the real e-sports sensation. They ain't doin the floss, they're speaking with Ks.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Playing the 3D remake of IV. Why did they change the awesome dark-wave into some lame strength-buff?

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
what possible story reason could there be for an organization that trains child soldiers to use a method that makes them lose their memories

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lessail posted:

what possible story reason could there be for an organization that trains child soldiers to use a method that makes them lose their memories

Its not all memories, just some. Seemingly, specifically, memories that make you less good at shooting your mom in the face if ordered to do so.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Hogama posted:

So how does R=U account for her sudden fascination with Ks?

She lost her retainer

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Dark Wave sucks. Any attack that takes your HP to use sucks, because it means you have to expend your hoard of consumable items to refill it or have the white mage do it when she could instead be ineffectually tapping the monster with a stick.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gologle posted:

Dark Wave sucks. Any attack that takes your HP to use sucks, because it means you have to expend your hoard of consumable items to refill it or have the white mage do it when she could instead be ineffectually tapping the monster with a stick.

Hello 12 year old me

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Playing the 3D remake of IV. Why did they change the awesome dark-wave into some lame strength-buff?

Ive been playing a rom hack of the original US version of FFIV.

They gave Dark Knight Cecil dual wielding which was pretty awesome. Unfortunately Paladin Cecil is still lame.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Paladin Cecil was fun in the DS version with counter. Combined with cover and he attacks a lot.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cavelcade posted:

Materia is the crystallised knowledge of the ancients and destroying it to no purpose (Sephiroth can just summon another one if you don't also deal with him, even if they did succeed in destroying this one) is the kind of wasteful activity that led the WEAPONs to attack Midgar.

They have a conversation kind of about this but I guess it's not explicitly spelled out as people are confused it.

My favourite bit of the Huge Materia hunt is after Shin-Ra's rocket has crashed into Meteor and failed to destroy it, people across the world look crushed, even Bugenhagen seems to be disappointed.

Cut to the party - "Shin-Ra's plan failed..."

YEAH NO poo poo YOU STUPID FUCKS YOU STOLE ALL THE HUGE MATERIA

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Stormblood is good fools

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lessail posted:

They probably gave them the power of the gods first and then later realized it had side-effects and didn't care.

NORG is all about the bottom line.

Never forget NORG.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

NikkolasKing posted:

They probably gave them the power of the gods first and then later realized it had side-effects and didn't care.

NORG is all about the bottom line.

Never forget NORG.

I was so confused when I played this game in my teens.

Some fat dude living the basement, is apparently rich and now we fight.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lessail posted:

I'm not sure if it's :thejoke: or not but if there was something that ate away all interpersonal bonds and private memories and left just instinct/mindless obedience while also making soldiers better, every (para)military organization on the planet would be jumping at that so hard.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Intend to finish FFVIII on Steam since I first played it 20 years ago only to never beat the german space-witch. My brother got the game for his birthday and he was a fan, but he also never got to the end and he never will now.

What are all the ridiculous ways you can break the game's balance into pieces without using cheats? Never level-up? Get the best weapons and limits early? Draw a 100 Ultimas in Disc 1?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Intend to finish FFVIII on Steam since I first played it 20 years ago only to never beat the german space-witch. My brother got the game for his birthday and he was a fan, but he also never got to the end and he never will now.

What are all the ridiculous ways you can break the game's balance into pieces without using cheats? Never level-up? Get the best weapons and limits early? Draw a 100 Ultimas in Disc 1?

I'm a fan of fighting Diabolos right away, card farm until you unlock no encounter, then play the rest of the game like a boss rush with cutscenes.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Junction 100 breaks to ST-Atk-J, then every single hit will petrify pretty much any enemy. Then use the Card ability to finish them off. You'll barely level up yet you'll have insane stats from all the cards you'll be able to refine.

Also, it should be worth noting, you only ever need to draw GFs, don't waste your time drawing magic.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Imagine hating a game so much that you skip all of it by playing a card game at the start.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
The real way to power game VIII is to learn how to abolish all rules except open.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

derra posted:

The real way to power game VIII is to learn how to abolish all rules except open.

The canon of Squall getting so salty at children's card games he spends days bullying the one Trabian transfer student at Galbadia shaking his collar going "ABOLISH YOUR RULES, GO BACK HOME AND TELL THE WORD" is fantastic

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Unlock the GF ability to turn items into magic then save money to buy tents. Break them down into Curagas and junction 100 of those to everyone's hp. Congratulations you are now unkillable.

Then unlock no random encounters, use the lamp, blind Diablis, beat him, then just go do whatever you want.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Merilan posted:

The canon of Squall getting so salty at children's card games he spends days bullying the one Trabian transfer student at Galbadia shaking his collar going "ABOLISH YOUR RULES, GO BACK HOME AND TELL THE WORD" is fantastic

Seems legit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

imo paladins should get Light Wave that costs MP to use

:thunk:

Arist posted:

Stormblood is good fools

you can't trick me i saw the "fft alternate ending" and that was infested rat poo poo straight out of a sewer

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It was a "What If" and it was fine