Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That only gets you one magic missile. So good question!

That must be the PC and not actually Xan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I need some minute details on the Shapeshifter kit in BG2. What weapon style proficiency, if any, affects your werewolf claws? Can you still use a Scimitar of Speed in your off hand to get bonus main hand attacks while shifted? If I do that, can I profit from Scimitar proficiency dots? What magic items can provide me AC when shifted - do regular Cloaks / Rings of Protection work?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SuperKlaus posted:

I need some minute details on the Shapeshifter kit in BG2. What weapon style proficiency, if any, affects your werewolf claws? Can you still use a Scimitar of Speed in your off hand to get bonus main hand attacks while shifted? If I do that, can I profit from Scimitar proficiency dots? What magic items can provide me AC when shifted - do regular Cloaks / Rings of Protection work?

It's broken to the point of being almost useless and the only solution is a patch that makes it broken to the other extreme, you can just solo the entire game on autopilot.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

Its fairly inconsistent. Your weapons are disabled while you are shapeshifted, so you don't get bonuses from them, but basically all other gear still gives you bonuses - rings, cloaks, bracers, etc. IIRC you benefit from the AC bonus and other stats on bucklers too, though they might have patched that? Would be easy enough to test. Shapeshifted weapons also benefit from Single Weapon Style and will give you the AC bonus if you have those proficiencies.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You (used to) get on-hit effects from your main hand weapon, or the one from the staff of the ram, anyway.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

It's broken to the point of being almost useless and the only solution is a patch that makes it broken to the other extreme, you can just solo the entire game on autopilot.

Huhhmmm I remember using EE Keeper to cheat into being a Fighter dual to Shifter once years ago (Fighter unlocks that 25 CON!) and feeling comfortable and strong through the whole of SoA. I can't remember the details of how everything worked, though. I also can't remember if I had a mod on - I know my main dude felt cool and strong but I don't remember feeling like I was crushing everything effortlessly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SuperKlaus posted:

Huhhmmm I remember using EE Keeper to cheat into being a Fighter dual to Shifter once years ago (Fighter unlocks that 25 CON!) and feeling comfortable and strong through the whole of SoA. I can't remember the details of how everything worked, though. I also can't remember if I had a mod on - I know my main dude felt cool and strong but I don't remember feeling like I was crushing everything effortlessly.

You were probably using the tweak pack as well.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah, probably. It was technically ShadowKeeper too because this was not EE BG2. I'll Google tweak pack and see if that jogs my memory. I think I had bigger "counts as plus weapon" claws and maybe bigger base damage for claws. But I think the only health regen was what 25 CON provides, which isn't as wild as 3/sec, right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Every time I play bg2 I dismiss every companion and attempt to solo everything for power gaming exp. How do I.....not do that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Well you can start by recruiting companions, then not dismissing them. I like to plan out what companions I use in a given playthrough, so you can do that if it helps. Usually I have a roleplaying theme to what I do, but the character I played the most was a paladin who romanced Viconia so take that with a grain of salt.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

Usually I have a roleplaying theme to what I do, but the character I played the most was a paladin who romanced Viconia so take that with a grain of salt.
If you haven't romanced Viccy with a Pally at least once you're not playing it right (or only picked up the game after your teens). You should also have Keldorn in the party.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Every time I play bg2 I dismiss every companion and attempt to solo everything for power gaming exp. How do I.....not do that.

If the issue is you can’t help yourself powergaming for XP—then just cheat yourself the XP you should have had. Maybe check every level and just add back that XP?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

cigaw posted:

If you haven't romanced Viccy with a Pally at least once you're not playing it right (or only picked up the game after your teens). You should also have Keldorn in the party.
I.... may have to play again just to do this. The fireworks must be spectacular.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Doesn't Keldorn straight up murder Viconia if they're both in the party for too long?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bike tory posted:

Doesn't Keldorn straight up murder Viconia if they're both in the party for too long?

He'll certainly try, and he'll probably succeed unless you step in.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't see the problem.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there any detail about the other Baldur's Gate announcement? Beamdog porting the EE versions to consoles, but nothing new is being added or changed right?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I've given up on IWD2:EE being made so I'm just going to play the GOG copy of the original I seem to have acquired at some point. Are there any mods worth having? How is the NPC project?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The NPC Project is good, much better than the BG1 one because the IWD2 project was just one modder so the mod is a lot more cohesive than its BG1 counterpart.
Not all of the NPCs are great, of course, but the overall quality is high for a mod.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Alright, sweet. I'll try it out as soon as I can decide on which NPCs to put in my party!

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Think of all the quests and content you're missing out on?

Also levelling too quickly makes the game kinda suck because the balance falls over at high levels. That level 9-15 sweet spot is just perfect imo.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Vichan posted:

Alright, sweet. I'll try it out as soon as I can decide on which NPCs to put in my party!
You'll definitely want to bring Nord and Hildury for story reasons. Since they're both frontline characters everything else will probably kind of fall into place. All roles can be covered by one character that's pretty low key and one that isn't so it kinda just depends on what sort of overall feel you want to go for.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 3, 2019

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

pentyne posted:

Is there any detail about the other Baldur's Gate announcement? Beamdog porting the EE versions to consoles, but nothing new is being added or changed right?

No, it appears now that it was just an attempt to grab some attention for the company in question, rather than any attempt to sneakily announce a new BG game. Clever, really.

Just plausible enough to grab some headlines.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 4, 2019

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think that poster is referring to the Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale and NWN EE Nintendo Switch releases.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

I think this was the screenshot on the back of the Baldur's Gate box in the video games section of Toys 'R' Us that I saw when I was a kid. I thought it looked like the coolest thing ever.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Cephas posted:

I think this was the screenshot on the back of the Baldur's Gate box in the video games section of Toys 'R' Us that I saw when I was a kid. I thought it looked like the coolest thing ever.

The best thing about the Enhanced Edition is the zoom feature. It's fun to zoom in quite a bit in order to get more nostalgia out of it until it frustrates you and you zoom out again.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

Fairah - Gulp!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Cephas posted:

In 1998 it sure did.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Great, thanks! Just got to knock off the dijonaise keep and then I'll see about shutting them up

Oh man, that fight with the umber hulks and then the boss... Keldorn got gibbed so many times last night.

At least I've got a stronghold now.

What's the deal with the golems on the second floor? Do they work for me now? Or is it just a bonus challenge to get the super flail?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
The golems only awaken 2 at a time if you grab the items they are guarding, except the flail head. That they don't react to.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 5, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Funso Banjo posted:

No, it appears now that it was just an attempt to grab some attention for the company in question, rather than any attempt to sneakily announce a new BG game. Clever, really.

Just plausible enough to grab some headlines.

Why do you think that?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Suspicious posted:

The golems only awaken 2 at a time if you grab the items they are guarding, except the flail head. That they don't react to.

Ah poo poo, I just assumed that they'd activate for anything!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You can force attack the golems one by one if you want, the others won't turn hostile. The iron one might be a bit much for a new player, so just grab the items and bail. It's too fat to pass through the doorway.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you judge it just right you can hit him through the doorway with lilarcor while he just stands there farting orange clouds angrily.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's a shame that Nalia's family can't control the golems because the clay and iron onea could've singlehandedly beaten all of the trolls

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bike tory posted:

It's a shame that Nalia's family can't control the golems because the clay and iron onea could've singlehandedly beaten all of the trolls

Oh gently caress, next playthrough I'm using that cheat key to add the iron one to my party then ctrl-j-ing him to Torgals room.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bike tory posted:

According to the 2nd ED player's handbook, a "lord" starts with the following

- Fighter who attains 9th level
- Men at arms: ex. 20 berzerkers, 2nd lvl fighters with non-magic equipment
- Honor Guards. 5th-7th level fighter with at least +1 gear as leader
- 20-40 0th level grunts

So given he also had a golem army guarding his treasure you'd think Lord De'Arnise would've put on a better defense. Keeping the Flail of Ages, a insanely powerful mystical weapon that could be put back together in a basic forge in pieces was also a dumb idea.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
It's kind of a story point that Lord D'Arnise is not exactly the sharpest spoon in the shed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

pentyne posted:

According to the 2nd ED player's handbook, a "lord" starts with the following

- Fighter who attains 9th level
- Men at arms: ex. 20 berzerkers, 2nd lvl fighters with non-magic equipment
- Honor Guards. 5th-7th level fighter with at least +1 gear as leader
- 20-40 0th level grunts

So given he also had a golem army guarding his treasure you'd think Lord De'Arnise would've put on a better defense. Keeping the Flail of Ages, a insanely powerful mystical weapon that could be put back together in a basic forge in pieces was also a dumb idea.

That honor guard is the only thing that could do poo poo against the trolls. The way combat works in d&d the 20-40 zero level grunts will damage once, a single troll, 1-3 times. The berzerkers might kill a few, but if they don't burn the corpse immediately it's gonna pop up behind them almost immediately while they're fighting another troll.

The golems would have stopped everything, but in order to keep them from killing random cleaning staff they were stuck in a room with doors too small for them to leave.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Aren't golems intelligent enough to tell staff from invaders, if they were actually under control? I'm pretty sure they're just stuck in the room because of game engine limitations, not for story reasons.

I'd always assumed the family had the golems commissioned basically just as vault guardians, and that higher function or control would require a mage or at least would've been more expensive.