Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The guy that gave you the red eye orbs will give you a key after you do some stuff in Undead Settlements. Not sure what exactly triggers him, i think if you kill a phantom or whatever.

That key opens the door in the tower basement in High Wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Get the purple summon covenant before you kill the womping willow. If you don't, It's actually difficult to get later.

Doing this is fairly obscure tho, i wouldn't really worry about it on my first run of DS3 tbh.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

heard u like girls posted:

The guy that gave you the red eye orbs will give you a key after you do some stuff in Undead Settlements. Not sure what exactly triggers him, i think if you kill a phantom or whatever.

It's if you get a tongue. The idea is that he gives you the cracked orbs, you jank someone in PvP, he tells you how to jank very many people. But there's also a tongue just lying around in the undead settlement and he'll trigger on that one too.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

you have to either go online and invade someone and kill them and get their gnarled tongue OR you can find a gnarled tongue as a loot item in the undead village in the area where you fight the fire demon with sigfried

Doing this is fairly obscure tho, i wouldn't really worry about it on my first run of DS3 tbh.

IF you care at all about 100%-ing the game, definitely look up how to unlock the purple invasion covenant before you kill treeballs. it's fairly unintuitive and doing it after you kill treeballs is a huge pain in the rear end. even if you don't care about the covenant itself, you have to unlock it before certain other NPCs show up so that you can complete their personal quests, or else you miss out on at least 1 ring and 1 pyromancy.

HOWEVER the purple covenant absolutely requires that you are willing and able to do online PvP invasions, so if that's not the case then it's probably not worth the trouble. i don't know if you can farm vertebra shackles from some other mob in the world (there's probably one with a .00001% drop rate) but AFAIK the purple invasions are the only way to reliably get them

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i don't know if you can farm vertebra shackles from some other mob in the world (there's probably one with a .00001% drop rate)

The twirly curved sword skeletons in Catacombs of Carthus. They're actually way worse to farm than silver knights because there isn't a spot where they conveniently respawn in front of the bonfire like every other covenant item

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

you have to either go online and invade someone and kill them and get their gnarled tongue OR you can find a gnarled tongue as a loot item in the undead village in the area where you fight the fire demon with sigfried

Right, that was it. gently caress those 2 witches on the way to Chloranthy ring.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Right, that was it. gently caress those 2 witches on the way to Chloranthy ring.

BLA-HA-HA-HA

VRRRRRRRRRM

BLA-HA-HA-HA

VRRRRRRRRRM

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Freaking Crumbum posted:

BLA-HA-HA-HA

VRRRRRRRRRM

BLA-HA-HA-HA

VRRRRRRRRRM

*swings spiked mace through wall, knocks you off narrow platform right against outside of wall, you fall to your death*

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Paracelsus posted:

*swings spiked mace through wall, knocks you off narrow platform right against outside of wall, you fall to your death*

no clip ahead
in short welcome to dark souls
*well, what is it? gesture*

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

I also found the loopback to the elevator but I could swear I remember another door I couldn’t open from this side. Oh well, I’ll go exploring again - I never got past the dragon on the left side so I have a good reason to come back someday.

Oh right, there is another one, shortly before the second bonfire. And you get to the other side of it by getting past the dragon you mentioned.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

This game is so so good. It’s quickly becoming my favorite of the Dark Souls trilogy. I just beat the cursed greatwood and I’ve also made it a bit into the woods in the next area. I love that you can sell items to whatever NPC in Firelink and I really like how the important vendors all seem to congregate there. It’s so much nicer than having to remember where everyone is, especially if they are in an annoying spot (I’m looking at you DS2 boss soul trading bird lady)

My only qualm is it’s dumping so many cool weapons on me all at once that I have no idea what to use. Rocking some ice straight sword for now - just got my first staff and bought magic weapon. I’ve never used anything besides just a plain ol’ sword so it’s fun to try out the spells/miracles/pyromancies.

Will there be someone who sells lesser upgrade materials at some point? Are they limited like in 2 or unlimited like in 1?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dantheman650 posted:

Will there be someone who sells lesser upgrade materials at some point? Are they limited like in 2 or unlimited like in 1?

Unlimited, and you get them from the DS2 firekeeper merchant, you just need to find the right ash.

E: Also, most of the upgrade materials were unlimited in 2?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

King of Solomon posted:

Unlimited, and you get them from the DS2 firekeeper merchant, you just need to find the right ash.

E: Also, most of the upgrade materials were unlimited in 2?

Yep this check out. DS2 won't stop making GBS threads titanite slabs at me, somehow I have six still sitting in my inventory, and all other upgrade materials are purchasable or reasonably farmable

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Yeah I had a ton of extra upgrade materials in DS2 but as I recall most of the vendors had a fixed quantity of any specific material.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

dantheman650 posted:

Yeah I had a ton of extra upgrade materials in DS2 but as I recall most of the vendors had a fixed quantity of any specific material.

Usually. If you want unlimited, you're looking for McDuff for large shards before Iron Keep, then Chloanne for basic and large shards, then chunks after Nashandra.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dantheman650 posted:

They mostly become unlimited as you progress further. No unlimited vendor source for twinkling or dragon bones, though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

you want to find the various "ashes of a <person>" item and turn them into the old hag merchant. those expand her inventory and/or adjust the quantity of what she stocks. IIRC every regular titanite item becomes infinitely for sale from her, except slabs, for which there's only like 7 or 8 per playthrough

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There's like 15 slabs in DS3. They're backloaded pretty hard though -- probably the easiest one to get to still requires you to run through to the bottom of Painted World.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That’s great to hear! In that case, I’ll go hog wild trying out different weapons in the early to mid game.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dantheman650 posted:

This game is so so good. It’s quickly becoming my favorite of the Dark Souls trilogy. I just beat the cursed greatwood and I’ve also made it a bit into the woods in the next area.

:yeah:

The Crucifixion Woods is where the path splits up for a bit. There's the ladder down to the mandatory poison swamp area ( the main path ) and there's a path past a boss that leads to the Cathedral of the Deep. You need to have done Cathedral before you can progress further in the game at a certain point way later on.

The boss in the poison swamp is a trigger for a bunch of NPC related shenanigans, so i'd say go check out the Cathedral first. Protip : get a torch if you decide to go there. You want it to get the leeches of your body .

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A nice trick for the swamp is to two hand a dagger and use the sidestep weapons skill. This allows you to jump around fast instead of trudging through the deeper parts.

Also, basilisk burps suck.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

axolotl farmer posted:

A nice trick for the swamp is to two hand a dagger and use the sidestep weapons skill. This allows you to jump around fast instead of trudging through the deeper parts.

also, if you invite a wizard in the upper swamp to come hang out in firelink, you need to fulfill your end of the bargain quick or else he departs forever. you can find one of the scrolls he wants in the lower swamp; just be sure to get it before you beat any other bosses. once you give him one scroll he'll stick around forever

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

axolotl farmer posted:

Exploring the swamp for the first time and suddenly hearing the basilisk rattle was one of the funniest moments in Souls for me.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Swamp Wiz told me to gently caress off because my IQ was too low :saddowns:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

if you haven't yet, making friends with the giant in the undead village is a cool thing because there's parts of both the swamp and the cathedral where he can really help you out

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
has anyone messed with the Cinders mod? it looks super interesting.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/310

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Thumbtacks posted:

has anyone messed with the Cinders mod? it looks super interesting.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/310

I've been watching someone play it on Twitch. It looks really awesome, it has a bunch of new items and stuff. On the other hand, you have to be prepared for bosses to be kinda bulky, because it has some stat scaling that gets kinda nuts. The final boss has like 20k HP.

E: They also changed the way attack rating scales, so that might not be quite as big of a deal as it sounds. I'm not sure what sort of AR the game expects you to have for the final boss, but it's definitely higher than normal DS3 endgame..

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jun 4, 2019

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

After a cursory look over the description and some of the patch notes, my one major complaint with that mod would be that they added a bunch of major effects to armor and that armor sets grant bonuses when worn together. Armor choices actually being relevant really hinders fashion souls.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

axolotl farmer posted:

roll through and destroy all his scrolls, desk, etc.

i love the exile greatsword

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

You specifically need to have at least 10 IQ for him to teach and sell you poo poo. You need to give him one of the scrolls before doing Farron Swamp boss iirc.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

After a cursory look over the description and some of the patch notes, my one major complaint with that mod would be that they added a bunch of major effects to armor and that armor sets grant bonuses when worn together. Armor choices actually being relevant really hinders fashion souls.

I'd agree with this, except that as it stands right now the series acts like armor actually has mechanical effects, what with vitality and equip burden, so if you're not going to remove those things buffing armor seems reasonable.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Sum Gai posted:

I'd agree with this, except that as it stands right now the series acts like armor actually has mechanical effects, what with vitality and equip burden, so if you're not going to remove those things buffing armor seems reasonable.

Buffing heavy armor in general is one thing, adding unique effects and set bonuses to many pieces of armor is another. I was partly being facetious. If the mod’s armor system adds more ways to customize a character and increases build variety, that’s a good thing and likely worth the cost in fashion souls. But it depends on how they’re doing it. If there are just clear best sets for different stat distributions, for example, low vitality dex builds must wear the full leather set, low vit str builds must wear the full hard leather set, etc. with no unique “set breaker” pieces, no reason to mix and match gear and only one set that’s clearly optimal for your build, then I’d rather they just not have added the equipment bonuses at all.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Armor should do things(more than what it does in the vanilla game), but it should not be set based. If anything, you should be incentivized to combine sets.

dumb bunny
Jan 30, 2014

Fun Shoe
https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10509788

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

- Do not despise that it is just a holding pillow.
- [DARK SOULS] It is serious as a pillow as well as of course as an item.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

first impressions of cinders: a lot of really great and impressive changes to balance (you can use lightning spear as a primary weapon wow) with some surprising stuff like a new quarterstaff weapon and shuffled item locations. functioning poise feels incredible.

and it's dragged down hard by bafflingly asinine increases to boss health. I saw the changes on the mod page which seemed insane but figured surely it made sense in context of all the other rebalances. but no, it turns out vordt having 4.5x health in the mod feels about the same as vordt having 4.5x health would feel in the base game. hopefully things improve once you get more of a build going.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Can anyone give me an idiot’s guide to weapon infusion? I don’t really get it. Like if I fire infuse a weapon, it’s damage changes partly to fire. Is this just to take advantage of enemy weaknesses? I have an Uchigatana +3 and I just got the next infusion ember and I have no idea what I should be doing with it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dantheman650 posted:

Can anyone give me an idiot’s guide to weapon infusion? I don’t really get it. Like if I fire infuse a weapon, it’s damage changes partly to fire. Is this just to take advantage of enemy weaknesses? I have an Uchigatana +3 and I just got the next infusion ember and I have no idea what I should be doing with it.

That is pretty much it. Infusions cut physical damage but add damage for whatever infusion you add. I usually don’t bother with it because most of my builds are strength builds so physical damage is the priority and resistances/weaknesses don’t play into it as much. I’d rather just temporarily buff my weapons than permanently infuse them to take advantage of weaknesses.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

They also let you focus your build more in some ways, so that if you’re playing a caster and don’t want to pump strength, you can have a cool fire weapon with no scaling early on, and switch to one of the later gems with int or faith scaling later. Or you can use something like sharp or heavy to improve what you’re already focusing on. In theory you could have a bunch of weapons with different elements for fighting different enemies, but I don’t think you get enough titanite to make that very viable until the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

dantheman650 posted:

So there's a couple groupings of infusion gems.

Fire and Deep gems remove stat scaling and increase the AR, but the AR is divided between physical and fire/dark damage now. In practice, this means that enemies with high damage resistances will sometimes take less damage, because they get to use both their physical defense and their fire/dark defenses against two attacks each of which is weaker than those of an uninfused weapon. The lower the enemy's defenses/the earlier in the game you are, the better these infusions are.

Blessed and Simple gems add weakish scaling for FTH and INT respectively, and reduce the weapon's base damage, but each adds the special property of slowly regenerating HP/MP respectively. Blessed weapons also keep skeletons from resurrecting. These infusions tend not to be especially good for fighting, but might be nice for an offhand tool.

Lightning, Chaos, Dark, and Crystal gems similarly divide the AR between physical and lightning/fire/dark/magic damage, but instead of getting rid of all scaling, they reduce the STR/DEX scaling and increase the FTH/INT scaling as appropriate (so lightning weapons only have faith, crystal only have intelligence, and chaos/dark have both). This means they tend to be more powerful than Fire/Deep/Blessed/Simple, though they have no other special properties. However, they still face the same problem where enemies with high defenses will shrug them off more easily than a pure physical damage weapon.

Sharp, Heavy, Refined, and Raw are the most important for most characters. These keep the weapon's damage physical, but modify its scaling behavior. Raw weapons have no stat scaling, but get a substantial boost to base damage, which means that in the long run they will be outshone by scaling weapons for most characters, but at the start of the game a raw weapon can be a significant boost. Refined weapons have reduced base damage, but get good STR and DEX scaling: if you are investing heavily in both those stats, refined will usually be the best infusion for endgame. Heavy and sharp weapons have reduced base damage and also reduce the DEX/STR scaling respectively to increase the STR/DEX scaling respectively. If you're invested heavily in one and only one of these stats, you should consider these infusions -- but also take a look at refined. For some weapons refined is just better even if you have not invested much in one of STR or DEX, as long as you have invested in the other. This is kind of weird and a result of patching.

Poison and Blood gems give the weapon the property of causing poison/bleed buildup on hit, but reduce base damage and STR/DEX scaling. They aren't necessarily bad, but a little gimmicky -- the pace of combat in this game usually favors higher damage over status effects.

Hollow gems reduce weapon damage and scaling but give you Luck scaling. They're virtually useless unless you're doing a Luck gimmick build. Don't worry about these.