Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Having never read them, is horny crow man literally a bird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yes, she meets a bunch of literal crows and some of them decide to turn into humans for a lark.

Later there is a short story where they are married and have triplets and his former-crow friends pressure him to murder one of the babies because she has dwarfism.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

I thought Dresden Files was written in a fit of pique "ok I'll follow every one of these writing rules and write some utterly formulaic schlock and it will be terrible, you'll see!". And then it sold.

IIRC the whole story goes that Butcher's creative writing teacher (Deborah Chester, herself a writer of fantasy and SF and romance) asked him to please write anything other than generic epic fantasy LOTR ripoffs and suggested he try a Urban Fantasy story instead. So he was like "FINE!" and wrote the first 3 Dresden stories to prove just how terrible they would be. She instead thought they were publishable and he spent a couple years shopping it around before he met Laurell K. Hamilton at a convention and she invited him to lunch with her publishing agent.

If you go and look for old press releases you'll find references to the title of the series being "Semiautomagic."

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

wheatpuppy posted:

Yes, she meets a bunch of literal crows and some of them decide to turn into humans for a lark.

Did the lark just ask them nicely, or did it coerce them?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

You know that animal groom thing you get in folklore? It's basically that, but played too seriously. Tricker's Queen is probably her worst book depending on where your stand on weird vs. boring.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

IshmaelZarkov posted:

lmbo

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

IshmaelZarkov posted:

Pssh you missed the other pun entirely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

wheatpuppy posted:

Later there is a short story where they are married and have triplets and his former-crow friends pressure him to murder one of the babies because she has dwarfism.

That writer needs Jesus in their life.

there wolf posted:

You know that animal groom thing you get in folklore? It's basically that, but played too seriously. Tricker's Queen is probably her worst book depending on where your stand on weird vs. boring.

Yeah but the animal is really a prince not the other way around. Is this due to Sonic again?

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Trickster's Queen was published in 2004, and it is one of her later works. In her most recent book, Fire and Tempest, you get to hear about teen Numair's morning wood on multiple occasions, so she hasn't stopped being weird at times. She's just stopped writing age gaps.

There was also the love interest mage in Mastiff (2011) who kept magical supplies in his rectum when he was imprisoned. I don't own the book, but I remember him getting thrown into prison with the main character, and unbuckling his pants, leading her to think he wants to have sex. She doesn't want to do that somewhere so open, and her magic talking cat offers to magic them up some privacy. After he sets them straight, there's a fairly detailed scene of him retrieving the supplies.

I really do like her books, especially the earlier ones, but every so often they get... strange.

there wolf posted:

Tricker's Queen is probably her worst book depending on where your stand on weird vs. boring.
Apart from the crow sex, Trickster's Queen was mostly boring, honestly. Aly is the superduperest spy in all of Fantasy Indonesia, despite being seventeen years old with no field experience before Trickster's Choice, nobody on the other side can threaten her except one guy who doesn't care as long as she doesn't harm the four-year-old king, and the rebellion's biggest concerns solve themselves without the good guys needing to get their hands dirty.

Also, making Aly a foreigner of the same ethnicity as the ruling class didn't come off well, given her hypercompetence. Why is nobody living under this brutal, three hundred year regime as good at spying as the teenage daughter of a foreign spymaster?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

That writer needs Jesus in their life.

Yeah but the animal is really a prince not the other way around. Is this due to Sonic again?

There are a lot of animal spouse stories that go the other way and have the animal turn into a human in order to get with someone. It's a union of man and nature thing that misses the mark when you put in what is actually a pretty grounded fantasy world.

And Mastiff is the one I think is the worst because it is hands-down the dullest.

there wolf has a new favorite as of 12:43 on May 28, 2019

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

there wolf posted:

There are a lot of animal spouse stories

It even gets riffed on in Steven Universe - the characters are fans of a fantasy-epic pastiche called "The Unfamiliar Familiar" where this happens at the end and they're not too happy about it.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dumbest goddamn comic book. Picked it up as part of a humble bundle, and it does that very early 2000s thing of loving to kill off and really give it to mtv and teen celebrities. This book hates Jersey Shore and Lady Gaga. Also weirdly conservative-spends lots of time dunking on Obama and libs, though there are some dumbass rednecks, and a character who isn't democrat or republican, but chose the side of america by joining the military.

The whole thing is pretty bad, the humor is bad, the political commentary is bad, the monster fighting isn't super good...
Worthless

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ambitious Spider posted:

Dumbest goddamn comic book. Picked it up as part of a humble bundle, and it does that very early 2000s thing of loving to kill off and really give it to mtv and teen celebrities. This book hates Jersey Shore and Lady Gaga. Also weirdly conservative-spends lots of time dunking on Obama and libs, though there are some dumbass rednecks, and a character who isn't democrat or republican, but chose the side of america by joining the military.

The whole thing is pretty bad, the humor is bad, the political commentary is bad, the monster fighting isn't super good...
Worthless

There's a tonne of regressive, weird ideas in comics, even in acclaimed series. (Preacher, anyone?) It speaks to the uncritical nature of much of their audience.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

nonathlon posted:

There's a tonne of regressive, weird ideas in comics, even in acclaimed series. (Preacher, anyone?) It speaks to the uncritical nature of much of their audience.

Yea recently went back to preacher and it’s rough and unpleasant. Don’t think it holds up that great. Neither does Ennis punisher run come to think of it. Little too edge Lordy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Preacher isn't so much regressive, as it is examining regressive thought processes and how they've led to the bizarre and hosed up society America has today (or "today" as of the mid-90s, though some things never change :preacher:)

Ennis is a left-leaning guy, but at the same time, one who has absolutely no time for decorum or niceness of any kind

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

nonathlon posted:

Ennis gets somewhat of a pass for me because he puts Nazis and white supremicists into his books just so he can tell them what huge worthless piles of poo poo they are before/while graphically disemboweling them. This is a bar most modern conservatives cannot pass.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

It's been a pretty long time since I read Ennis, but I seem to remember that at least Preacher had a pretty annoying subtext along the lines of "Good people have normal, regular hetero sex. Meanwhile anybody who fucks weird is definitely a depraved bad person". And of course a giant heap of edginess for its own sake.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Sorry, what's wrong with hating Jersey Shore?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Sorry, what's wrong with hating Jersey Shore?

I'm guessing the combination of teenager-style edginess and being instantly dated

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Perestroika posted:

It's been a pretty long time since I read Ennis, but I seem to remember that at least Preacher had a pretty annoying subtext along the lines of "Good people have normal, regular hetero sex. Meanwhile anybody who fucks weird is definitely a depraved bad person". And of course a giant heap of edginess for its own sake.

I always took that as more Ennis’s indictment of social mores and the Catholic Church than his personal views. That said, I remember reading Preacher as it was published and thinking it was a reflection of a guy in his 20s who was incredibly angry at the religion that raised him, no idea how accurate that was/is.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antivehicular posted:

I'm guessing the combination of teenager-style edginess and being instantly dated

And you know hating something dumb that women and girls tend to like. Reality tv and twilight or whatever always gets way more hate than their equally dumb male counterparts.

Especially in a dumb godzilla comic book. Like glass houses dude.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

There's nothing wrong with disliking Jersey Shore, just like there's nothing inherently wrong with disliking any other media property. But there's absolutely an attitude toward it that's unpleasant and hateful, where it's less "haha, isn't this silly" and more "haha, this is disgusting filth".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Perestroika posted:

in fairness he explicitly has the male lead go down on his girlfriend and she says "eighty percent of American men don't do this" and he says "eighty percent of American men are idiots"

somehow that has stuck with me

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

dudes who make doing oral sex into A Thing also suck, but then dudes are capable of making anything suck

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Djeser posted:

dudes who make doing oral sex into A Thing also suck, but then dudes are capable of making anything suck

Especially sucking.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Someone on IDEOTV's Facebook page posted this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

grittyreboot posted:

Someone on IDEOTV's Facebook page posted this

I was about to ask if it was a thinly veiled racist thing, then I scrolled down.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Some p solid namechange candidates in there

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mods, "The Skulls that had Sex", please and thank you.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'll take "The Mooner of Romney Marsh" if it's short enough, but I gotta admit "Fanny of Cock Lane" is pretty admirably straightforward.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I ordered it. I need to read Archibald's Orgy In Hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Voyeuristic Wizard for me please

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
im the transvestite valet

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm the urinating goblin

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Naked Bald Agnes, that's me

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Really? No love for The Ghost of the Sex-Crazed Cat?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

cptn_dr posted:

I'm the urinating goblin

Mr. President???

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Was the Bell Witch a sex thing. I thought it was just a spooky voice and some levitating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

IIRC The Witch would gossip about who was having sex with who