Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Ihmemies posted:

A pc should not have a window. Does your car's bonnet have a window? :iiaca:

It's time for CaRGB (original trademark do not steal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ihmemies posted:

Only cars owned by people who put a lot of thought into the aesthetics of their engine, I think.

Plus a lot of supercars, though I’m not sure if an engine in the rear of the car is properly described as being covered by a “bonnet”.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ihmemies posted:

Too many interesting cases that only come with a window, it's annoying, quite frankly. The NZXT H200, for example.I might have to go down the RGB route for my next build.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lambert posted:

Too many interesting cases that only come with a window, it's annoying, quite frankly. The NZXT H200, for example.I might have to go down the RGB route for my next build.

The next window I have on a case is getting little curtains made from scrap fabric, I think. I can change them for the holidays.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I am going to do an x570 Ryzen build in about 5-6 months, and I am on a quest to have a windowless case (thinking Meshify S2) with zero RGB or gamer-y anything, if possible. The odds do not look great. That Asus Pro WS X570-ACE looks ideal but it's probably higher end ($$$) than I need. I know we don't have details and prices yet on all the mobos.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
No window is the reason im getting a Fractal R6 for the new Zen 2 build, I just love my aging Antec P182 but it just isn't built for the longer GPUs now.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
What is it with pc hardware makers treating us like children and putting color LEDs and gaudy tacky loving poo poo on everything? They make everything look like toys. Gaming laptops suffer from this especially

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The reason is gamers are children and want this stuff on their toys.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They want to be the guy from Circa 1999 Matrix that sits down and takes out his sicknasty gaming 'deck' with color-matched and coordinated LEDs to signal how extremely hardcore they are.

Someone in the back will whisper "holy poo poo, that's the XZ-R477! It's banned for competitive play and won't be out for 7 years!"

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
It's not that windows are bad per se, just that when you look into a PC case, it's an incredibly boring view. Like compare how much time you look in the case window compared to the monitor. It's not like it's giving you anything, except maybe smoke or burst piping, you could use to diagnose a problem with it. But to look into it for more than 10 minutes means admitting to yourself that this hobby might be boring, and being on a computer is a boring use of a life. But then you look back at the monitor.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mofabio posted:

It's not that windows are bad per se, just that when you look into a PC case, it's an incredibly boring view. Like compare how much time you look in the case window compared to the monitor. It's not like it's giving you anything, except maybe smoke or burst piping, you could use to diagnose a problem with it. But to look into it for more than 10 minutes means admitting to yourself that this hobby might be boring, and being on a computer is a boring use of a life. But then you look back at the monitor.

This, but about 3D printing.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

Lambert posted:

This, but about 3D printing.

Fortunately not as boring as moving the 3D printing nozzle by hand!

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

What is it with pc hardware makers treating us like children and putting color LEDs and gaudy tacky loving poo poo on everything? They make everything look like toys. Gaming laptops suffer from this especially

At this point it's become a universal signal that the hardware is high end, far removed from the lovely gamer crowd that started it.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Tech (media, games consoles, videos, broadcasts etc) basically tried to jump straight to 4K from 1080p and doing it incredibly clumsily. It's baffling why we didn't just go to 1440p instead of trying to push 4k everywhere. The hardware just isn't ready for it.

Media broadcasting didn't have much trouble moving to 4K and that's who sets the standard for TVs.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's easier to remember the number 4 and the letter K than some INSANELY HIGH NUMBER LIKE ONE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED FORTY

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Don't people just call it 2k

Maybe 2k wasn't cool enough

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Spiderdrake posted:

Displays switching from a 1080 vertical resolution to a 2160 vertical resolution made the name change from "1080P" to "4K" so ... yeah, pretty much.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

2k was almost 20 years ago, can't have future tech called 2k anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

2ché

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
4k is just 4 * 1080p. 8k is 8 * 1080p.

It's really not complicated?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Measly Twerp posted:

8K is 7680x4320 or 16 times 1080p's 1920x1080. It would admittedly have been even more fun if 8K had used a nice even 2√2 factor to arrive at a 5430.5801x3054.7013 pixel resolution.

The switch to using the approximate horizontal resolution rather than the exact vertical was explicitly a marketing move to make it seem like a bigger change than it was. 2K really wasn't cool enough.

E: Not sure if I am missing :thejoke: here

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Measly Twerp posted:

Are you talking raw pixels here or dimensional, but either way its incorrect. 1080P referred to the vertical resolution. When 4K happened, the name was instead taken from the rough horizontal resolution.

1080P = 1920 x 1080
4K = 3840 x 2160
8K = 7680 x 4320

4K doubles each dimension of a 1080P signal, and 8K doubles it again, so 4K has quadruple the pixels of 1080P and 8K has 16 times the pixels of 1080P.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Nah I'm just asleep and forgot that 8k was an additional doubling.

4k is 4 * 1080p
8k is 4 * 4k

And don't forget 5k monitors too! Those are the true wtf.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Measly Twerp posted:

Nah I'm just asleep and forgot that 8k was an additional doubling.

4k is 4 * 1080p
8k is 4 * 4k

And don't forget 5k monitors too! Those are the true wtf.

5k is just ultrawide 4k.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

wargames posted:

5k is just ultrawide 4k.

5k is 5120x2880, quad 1440p. Or to put it another way, 5k:1440p::4k:1080p.

But maybe some vendor uses 5k to mean ultrawide 2160p because there's nothing that says they can't.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

OhFunny posted:

Media broadcasting didn't have much trouble moving to 4K and that's who sets the standard for TVs.

Did they? Pretty sure most broadcast TV isn't in 4k, or even 1080p (1080i used to be very common, probably still is).

3peat
May 6, 2010

Looks like Samsung will use Radeon graphics in their phones

quote:

Key terms of the partnership include:

AMD will license custom graphics IP based on the recently announced, highly-scalable RDNA graphics architecture to Samsung for use in mobile devices, including smartphones, and other products that complement AMD product offerings.
Samsung will pay AMD technology license fees and royalties.

https://www.amd.com/en/press-releases/2019-06-03-amd-and-samsung-announce-strategic-partnership-ultra-low-power-high

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Didn't spot this posted yet. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-pcie-4.0-socket-am4-motherboard,39559.html

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Amd nixes PCIe 4.0 on X470/B450 motherboards

That’s slightly disappointing, but Im still lukewarm on PCIe 4.0 in general. It sounds like it’s adding significant cost to X570 boards, but outside of very specific use cases I’m not really seeing how it’s going to be useful to consumers in even a few years. The best use cases are things like additional total bandwidth for GPU processing banks and the line, which aren’t the sort of thing you’d want to run on consumer motherboards anyway.

E: Maybe ultra-fast ethernet? Still not something that most consumers are going to need or want in the near future.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 3, 2019

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
How significant a price increase are we talking here? I was always going to get whatever chipset launched with Zen2 but if boards are 50% more then ewwww. 15-20% I could still (begrudingly) stomach.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Spiderdrake posted:

Were there any non-black pcb motherboards shown?

I want my next system to be colorful and not tacticool. My PC is always in sight when I'm working on my laptop before anyone says it should be under the desk, in a closet, on the moon or whatever.

I mean if actively cooled chipsets are coming back why not resurrect DFI. RGB is so 2018, bring back UV.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Seamonster posted:

How significant a price increase are we talking here? I was always going to get whatever chipset launched with Zen2 but if boards are 50% more then ewwww. 15-20% I could still (begrudingly) stomach.

From the prices I've seen, the "entry-level" x570 boards come in sub-$200. The x470 and b450 boards will support Zen2 though, so unless you need the features of the new chipset then you could save some money.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Seamonster posted:

We're not really going to know for sure until more partners release the launch prices for their full stack or until launch in four days, but for now what we know is that there are going to be some very expensive options at the top-end and that Gigabyte's X570 stack (starting at $200 for the Elite) is more expensive than their X470 lineup, which started at $140 for the for Ultra Gaming. That said, Gigabyte's X470 offers were pretty anemic outside of the $240 Gaming 7 and the Elite looks like it has better power management than the X470 Gaming 5 or Ultra, so it's tough to extrapolate to other product stacks. We'll see soon enough though!

We'll also see if the new 25% tariffs will affect prices.

E: Basically they seem designed to support overclocking on the 3900X, which makes sense but is likely a massive overkill for the less power-hunger chips. I suppose much of the price increase could be VRMs rather than PCIe 4.0, though, but it seems plausible that the more refined manufacturing process required for signal fidelity would contribute to the additional cost.

Actuarial Fables posted:

From the prices I've seen, the "entry-level" x570 boards come in sub-$200. The x470 and b450 boards will support Zen2 though, so unless you need the features of the new chipset then you could save some money.

Have you seen prices for stacks outside of Gigabyte? I could have sworn I saw some somewhere, but I can't find them anymore.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 3, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

jisforjosh posted:

I mean if actively cooled chipsets are coming back why not resurrect DFI. RGB is so 2018, bring back UV.
I actually had a DFI board! It was sweet.

I miss DFI and Abit :(

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Spiderdrake posted:

Don't people just call it 2k

The 1920x1080 resolution is already 2k and have been for quite some time. If you remember when cinemas first switched to digital projections, many theaters proudly listed 2K capability, it meant the same resolution. Pretty shoddy for a whole screen!

Lambert posted:

Did they? Pretty sure most broadcast TV isn't in 4k, or even 1080p (1080i used to be very common, probably still is).

Not the broadcasts yet, but much content is already of 4k resolution for streaming service and UHD Blu-Ray release. I believe several countries will have 4k broadcast TV prepared in major cities, for the 2020 Olympics? That will be first serious broadcast usage beyond tests. It will likely require most people to buy new TV to view.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I read that Japan has 8K OTA broadcasts.

Here we go: https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/12/01/8k-is-now-being-broadcast-in-japan/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lambert posted:

ATSC 3.0 is coming, but I haven't seen any tuners yet in the US.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Actuarial Fables posted:

There always the option of simply waiting for the B550 boards too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Not the broadcasts yet, but much content is already of 4k resolution for streaming service and UHD Blu-Ray release. I believe several countries will have 4k broadcast TV prepared in major cities, for the 2020 Olympics? That will be first serious broadcast usage beyond tests. It will likely require most people to buy new TV to view.

I bet under 1% of Netflix consumption is 4k. Similarly, I would bet that around 1% of movies being watched in the western world are 4k on a 4k TV. We are still years and years away from it being commonplace. That said TV/movies preparing for the future are still the reason that 4K is a standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

K8.0 posted:

I bet under 1% of Netflix consumption is 4k. Similarly, I would bet that around 1% of movies being watched in the western world are 4k on a 4k TV. We are still years and years away from it being commonplace. That said TV/movies preparing for the future are still the reason that 4K is a standard.
Even the $200 budget 55" tvs are 4k and have been for a few years. I'd argue in the opposite direction even, there's very little 4k or 60fps content out there compared to the number of people with compatible sets.

I only have Netflix, and next to nothing is 4k on it. Less than 1% of content for sure. And we're not going to base what we watch on whether it's 4k or not.

There are more issues with 4k, too. Like most people have their TV too far away for its size to even tangibly benefit from 4k. I agree with the overall assertion that 4k exists primarily to sell a shiny new thing rather than for its practical benefits. However, over time, more things will be 4k and most people will have sets that work with it. Some places plan on broadcasting the 2020 Olympics in 4k, for example.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 4, 2019